FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Kernel][OC]Da_G's 1944MHz SGH-i957 LTE OC(Dec 20, 2011)

1,629 posts
Thanks Meter: 270

By Croak, Senior Member on 20th December 2011, 08:21 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st January 2012, 02:20 AM |#111  
Thanks Meter: 242

More
talked to the dev for a long time tonight (great guy). we found where the recovery was on the system.

if in adb you use the 'adb reboot recovery' command, it brings you to the 3e system recovery which is normal for devices

underneath the recovery menu, it has yellow text saying: "command: "/sbin/recovery""

there is no /sbin directory though...

I had my system pull from a while back, so i searched the files for the recovery and it was in /system/bin/recovery.

so.....we are thinking that if you replace the recovery file in the directory with the custom one, then we are in business. it will simply look for the /system/bin/recovery file and run the custom one instead of the stock one.

the issue with this, is if for some weird reason this does not work, you are stuck in recovery mode. and with no removable battery, it could be a long, long time before your battery dies in recovery mode. i have tried to drain my old captivate in recovery and it would not die.

anyway, if anyone is really brave, or within their 30 day return period, let me know. I have the custom recovery file i can link you. you need to know adb commands though, to do the following:

adb shell
rm /system/bin/recovery
exit
adb push recovery /system/bin/
adb shell
chmod 755 /system/bin/recovery

So yea.....lets see where this leads.

21st January 2012, 05:11 PM |#112  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Right on!

I am glad you guys got together, the more minds working on this the better!

I am in the process of moving right now so that's kept me kinda busy...

Great to hear an update though, please do keep me posted!

Now back to lifting heavy ****....
21st January 2012, 09:47 PM |#113  

More
Utkanos is curious if you can pop in irc again today orlando.
21st January 2012, 11:19 PM |#114  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by modestone

Utkanos is curious if you can pop in irc again today orlando.

Im in, ill stick around and see if he hops back in sometime tonight.
22nd January 2012, 12:24 AM |#115  

More
I have a kernel now for testing with cwm built in. Will have the link soon.

watching progress on the captivate glide cwm i927 as we speak and it worked. ours hopefully should be similar.

we need a more testers!!! PM or reply

So i flashed the recovery. i can get into clockworkmod but there are 4 tiny menus instead of 1 large one. the commands are buggy and i cant backup.

but.....this is a working step. this means we can work off of this. so we are on good ground and we know we wont brick or mess up the device by flashing different recoveries. ty utkanos!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orlandoxpolice For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift orlandoxpolice Ad-Free
22nd January 2012, 06:23 AM |#116  

More
Waaahooooooooo !!!!!!!!!

Awesome work orlando and utkanos, I knew we could get here with enough people involved.

My tablet bricking has been justified!

This is great news!
22nd January 2012, 07:50 AM |#117  

More
we arent out of the woods yet. there are a few issues we are working out. samsung did some weird stuff with this tablet.....but we wont brick it which is ok. give us a day or two more. hop in IRC if you want.

edit: got into 1 menu cwm with single toggles. very nice. also very late so we will continue tomorrow. good stuff happening.
The Following User Says Thank You to orlandoxpolice For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift orlandoxpolice Ad-Free
22nd January 2012, 03:48 PM |#118  

More
I wonder if we should break this discussion off into its own thread, now that were getting somewhere.

I guess were still basing it off of da g's kernel for now
22nd January 2012, 04:16 PM |#119  
Flag PA
Thanks Meter: 41

More
I'm signing on to help out. Again sorry for the delays. I got pretty busy this week.
23rd January 2012, 02:09 AM |#120  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by modestone

I wonder if we should break this discussion off into its own thread, now that were getting somewhere.

I guess were still basing it off of da g's kernel for now

I dont think we need a new thread, will make one when its complete.

Da_Gs original kernel is basically stock with minor tweaks, so I consider it stock.

We can get into CWM now, but for some reason it is freezing during backup, and there are some menu issues. Got a recovery log to poke around in though. Just an update.
23rd January 2012, 02:22 AM |#121  
Flag PA
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Orlando let me know if you still need me for testing. I was on earlier but nobody said anything with the dev.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)