[USER] JB/ICS/CM10/9 Discussion

Search This thread

Dj-Gutz

Sep 1, 2010
Tel Aviv
Is usb host mode enabled by default or do I have to use a utility to get it enable ? Is there a thread somewhere that deals with usb host mode and CM9 ICS ? Also from what I gathered from searches in the forum so far block devices dont work right ?

You have to use an app ( Nook Tweaks )
There is a thread on CM7 ( verygreen's ) , most of it is the same on CM9

I'm planning to open a new thread for CM7+CM9 with updated info and some index for the original thread , hoping to finish this soon

Reactions: Gatos7

Gatos7

Apr 2, 2010

I'm planning to open a new thread for CM7+CM9 with updated info and some index for the original thread , hoping to finish this soon

Ah thnx for the info. I've seen verygreen's thread but I thought that was only for CM7. Will download Nook Tweaks and start experimenting with it

Oh and the thread you want to start will be quite helpful :)

Hkdubois

Jan 20, 2012
Location services fix

This is my first post, so I hope this is the correct place to put this. Our problem with location services on the ICS nightlies is the same problem as discussed in this kindle fire thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1414582&page=2

I made this change to the 1-18 nightly and now location works using wifi networks in maps and weather apps.

Please note that the aapt file that comes with apk tools needs to be updated from the android 4.03 sdk.

Benzoman

Jan 9, 2012
Central Illinois
EDIT: installing the gapps without the installer or at least the gapps for ICS the file I have is both. Everything is running good off the card now and leaving my internals alone. (I hope. LOL)

Not sure where to put this... I'm running Mirage 7.2.0 kang internally. I've built several sdcards to boot 7.1 and ran them before taking the plunge to internal. I've never had any problems I couldn't fix on my own by reading more.
This had me stumped though. I want to keep running Mirage and boot CM9 off an sdcard. I've built the card using the recent img from samiam's new post in the nightlies thread. Every thing went fine until the final boot. I'm stuck on the screen that says press the android to continue. When I press it an error comes up saying it failed. I press OK and it repeats. Rinse and repeat...
I just had a thought that I may have used the gapps with the onetimeinitializer which could be the problem.
I'll check back in after I redo this.

Sent from my NookColor using XDA App

Last edited:

RBMacGregor

Jan 14, 2012
westport ma
I have noticed that a lot of the issues we seem to be having with the nc are also issues on other cm9 ports to different devices. So hopefully the cm team will work it out for everyone.

muirhejs

Feb 4, 2011
I'm running the 20120113 build that was posted when the build restriction was lifted, and it's fantastic. What's the best way for me to understand what the other nightly updates are including/fixing? I found a link on the development thread but wasn't sure if that is what I should be looking at.

- John

stingray59

Sep 18, 2011

I'm having issues with Nook Color Tweaks. Currently running build 119 and have installed Nook Color Tweeks. The problem I'm having is that Nook Color Tweaks crashes when I try to adjust the DAC or the Headphone volume controls. Anyone else having this issue???

brentb636

Apr 27, 2011
5 miles north of Saugatuck
EDIT: installing the gapps without the installer or at least the gapps for ICS the file I have is both. Everything is running good off the card now and leaving my internals alone. (I hope. LOL)

Not sure where to put this... I'm running Mirage 7.2.0 kang internally. I've built several sdcards to boot 7.1 and ran them before taking the plunge to internal. I've never had any problems I couldn't fix on my own by reading more.
This had me stumped though. I want to keep running Mirage and boot CM9 off an sdcard. I've built the card using the recent img from samiam's new post in the nightlies thread. Every thing went fine until the final boot. I'm stuck on the screen that says press the android to continue. When I press it an error comes up saying it failed. I press OK and it repeats. Rinse and repeat...
I just had a thought that I may have used the gapps with the onetimeinitializer which could be the problem.
I'll check back in after I redo this.

Sent from my NookColor using XDA App
I had the same problem, but got past that point by using the modified Gapps from the 1st post of this thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1444943 . That should work for you.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Turns out that the device ids have also changed on my NC, which is why ADB wasn't working for me. I had to add new entries into android_winusb.inf with USB\VID_18D1&PID_D002 instead of USB\VID_2080&PID_0002.

Thank you so much for the insight. I never would have gotten ADB working on CM9 without this hint. I had ADB working on CM7, but not CM9. Turns out they do have different device ids.

My device id was a little different yet (USB\VID_18D1&PID_2D02), but I was able to get it working by putting that id in the inf file.

For those that are still having trouble, make sure you have USB debugging selected and connect the Nook to your PC. Then open device manager and look for the "Nook Color" under "other" that has a question mark beside it. Right click on properties and look at the "Details" tab. It will show the device id that you can copy and paste to the android_winusb.inf file. The id should replace the one listed in the quote above under "B&N Nook Color". Save the modified file. Then you can update the driver by right clicking on it in device manager again and select "update driver". Then find the inf file you just modified and select it. Should work.

Last edited:

mikelav456

Dec 12, 2011
Sorry, but this might be a stupid question, but I'm a bit confused. I am running the ICS nightly off an sd card and I tried to flash the telephonypermissions zip by changing the name to update-cm- and booting into recovery, and it seemed to actually install, but the apps are still not showing in the market.

Any help? Thanks.

ToiletDuck555

Sep 21, 2010
Just started running this and wow, nice work devs!!

I was wondering if there was a way to remove the rotation lag?

Schwinn555

Dec 25, 2011
Quote" Originally Posted by mikelav456 View Post

I'm trying to flash Samiam's other zip files (the telephony permissions fix and the animation fix) by adding "update-" to the file name, putting it on the boot partition, and booting into recovery, but that doesn't seem to work (I'm running CM9 off an microSD using verygreen's method).

Is there another way to-correctly-flash these files?

Thank you in advance.

its 'update-cm-*' and whatever else comes after is fine.

Racks "end Quote

Tried it, seemed to run fine but didn't work?

mikelav456

Dec 12, 2011
Quote" Originally Posted by mikelav456 View Post

I'm trying to flash Samiam's other zip files (the telephony permissions fix and the animation fix) by adding "update-" to the file name, putting it on the boot partition, and booting into recovery, but that doesn't seem to work (I'm running CM9 off an microSD using verygreen's method).

Is there another way to-correctly-flash these files?

Thank you in advance.

its 'update-cm-*' and whatever else comes after is fine.

Racks "end Quote

Tried it, seemed to run fine but didn't work?

I tried it, both with the star and without (because I wasn't sure if the star denoted where the name of the file goes or that there should actually be a star), neither worked. Still can't see the Economist app.

Any advice?

brezhnevv

Dec 28, 2011
Running the 118 build from samiam303. Haven't had any problems to speak of, had the sleep of death once and tasker keeps FCing when I use shortcuts but aside from that... Best. Alpha. Ever.

I planned on just booting it up to see how it was then reverting to a CM7 backup, but its stable enough that I think I'm just going to stick with it. Thumbs up to the devs!

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

brentb636

Apr 27, 2011
5 miles north of Saugatuck
Loaded the 121 build ( last night's) and the install went smoothly. Got one SOD but none since. Downloaded CPU Master and adjust the clock to a range of 300-1200 Mhz and it seems quite useful. I'll stick with this and see what happens. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: We now have official cm nightly support! Congrats to all involved! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1941247

Feel free to continue building for yourself.
    Also, while your testing and bug reports are very much appreciated, do not WHINE, or feel entitled to anything. These guys have worked hard for YOUR benefit so be grateful and hit the thanks button for everyone involved.

Old OP follows:
    This thread is to help clean out the non-development discussions happening in the dev thread. Please post your impressions, problems, fixes, thanks, etc. here.

Refer to this thread for progress on development http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1370873.

Unofficial CM9 Nightly Builds:

You can get Eyeballers unofficial nightly builds here

You can get Samiam's unofficial nightly builds here

CM10:

Video of CM10 running on Nook Color http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28844150

Feeling brave? Want the latest and greatest? Build CM10 for yourself. Check out this post to get started http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29075653

If that feels like a little much you can check out Andbot to help you get started.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29171789

Please do not share your builds. Refer them to these instructions instead.

Keep it clean and remember NO ETA's!!!

Credit and thanks to all involved!
    I think your first line mostly summed it up, but heck I'll take a couple of minutes to respond.. responses are inline in bold.

Hi Guys -

I want to start out by acknowledging that I realize that no one owes me anything. I bought a Nook because I thought it would be fun to see just what could be done with Android on a somewhat different device. No one held a gun to my head and I may have misconstrued what the goals of this community were. I own my own disappointment and am not blaming anyone else.

I was amazed by the Gingerbread ROMs that were initially available, and it seemd to me that in no time we would have updated (read Honeycomb, ICS, and JB) Roms that would continue to amaze

It has taken OEMs (HTC/Samsung) in the region of 6-9 months to update some devices from GB to ICS, so "in no time" wasn't really going to happen when we work on this in our free time for fun. ICS was a huge overhaul and required a lot of changes - some of which we still don't have source code that we can use (such as hw accel/omx on ICS).

I did not think that Honeycomb should have been abandoned when ICS was still a glimmer in the eyes of its developer parents, and I do not think that ICS should be abandoned either now. I am totally confused by the lack of progress in bringing these later ROM to the state where GB was a year ago. The only thing I can think of is that Android is so much of a moving target that no one can spend the time necessary and that the changes to Android in moving from GB to ICS to JB have actually made it harder to adapt the OS to the hardware bits of the Nook Color. This, if true, is a major disappointment in the development of Android.

Honeycomb wasn't even started, so it wasn't abandoned. deeper-blue did some great work porting from the SDK but at best it was a "proof-of-concept" - honeycomb was not open source and therefore it was never really worked on. We also haven't abandoned ICS, while working on JB we're still pushing relevant fixes to ICS so that people can continue to get the best ICS experience we can offer (https://github.com/fat-tire/android_device_bn_encore/commits/ics)

In my mind, the philosophy of open source software is to make adaption and adoption easier, not harder; and to celebrate those developers who try to do so, rather than keeping them in the dark and withholding necessary information and code from them.

I'm not sure who you're referring to in terms of keeping people in the dark? All our work has been open in the nookcolor chan on IRC or in the dev thread here on xda.

My initial reaction, when faced with such disappointment was to set up a Linux box (I chose Knoppix poor man's install for personal reasons) and to download andbot and the sources. I have gotten through the initial glitches and believe I have the full set of sources, the open and proprietary ones. Now it seems that the java runtime available in Knoppix is not appropriate (1.6.0 vs SE 1.6.0). I am running down the errors in the building in brunch to see if I can get around the problems. Java SE when downloaded from Debian and reinstalled, says that I already have the proper version.

Knoppix? Really?

I am willing to spend some time at this to get it working, but my dream of a more stable ICS or JB seems to be receding into the mists.

Of all the ROMs I have tried (and I've tried most of them) I think that (believe it or not) Honeycomb gave the best balance of tablet loveliness and usability. So I'm afraid I am currently asea.

I think you're mostly alone there..

I guess I will buy a Nexus 7 so that my wife doesn't have to keep asking me why my tablet doesn't work. It just seems like admitting defeat.

Thanks to all who have spent countless hours and who are probably just as frustrated as I am. Sorry for the rant.

Most of us aren't frustrated, we do this for fun to see what we can bring to this device, knowing it's a challenge and maybe never going to be perfect. If you want a fully functional tablet today - then I would also recommend the Nexus7 as being the device for you.
    Just in case you missed it, we posted our first Alpha build last night over in the development forum: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1941247

;)
    Fattire put that line in the build.prop for everybody last night (via the awesomizer, LOL). What is it? Is he pulling our chain again?

Yes, this was a joke... my answer to all the bogus "change such and such and the NC will be 3x faster"... my point being that there's a placebo effect. We did play around though with some of the suggested improvements in IRC doing all kinds of tests and not finding any real difference. Also looked at source and most of them didn't do anything at all in ICS.

So next time someone asks for some unproven change to build.prop you can just tell them it's already included and covered by the ro.magic.optimization property ;) If that doesn't work I'll have to turn on ro.placebo.enhancements=true...
    I have been trying to use the CWM 5.5.0.4 taken from Sam's server in recoveries. It keeps giving me recovery.fstab errors for cache saying NULL is not a proper option and then only backs up /boot. Is there a working version somewhere? Fattires original post used Megaupload and is dead.

Here's a flashable zip for CWM 5.5.0.4 to EMMC. Built this morning for you. :D

This should correct the NULL mount point errors. I haven't tested it myself since I run off SD, but it should flash and work properly.

**Disclaimer: Do so at your own risk, I am not responsible for ... blah, blah, blah.... you all should know the rest. :p "

-Racks