FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[PROJECT] WebGL for Xperia™ phones - open source project by Sony Ericsson

98 posts
Thanks Meter: 614

By KalleD, Sony Mobile Developer on 25th January 2012, 03:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all devs,
In November, we, Sony Ericsson, announced that we were the first phone manufacturer in the world to support WebGL through the native Android browser of Xperia™ phones. As a next step, we are now releasing our WebGL implementation for our coming Xperia™ phones running Android™ 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and above as open source.
https://github.com/sonyericssondev/WebGL
Feel free to ask questions, discuss and make suggestion, Sony Ericsson web-browsing experts will monitor this thread and try to answer as soon as possible.

Here you have the full blog-post at Developer World.

/Karl-Johan Dahlström
Sony Ericsson Developer Program
The Following User Says Thank You to KalleD For This Useful Post: [ View ]

26th January 2012, 02:33 AM |#2  
Account currently disabled
Flag Kepler-34b
Thanks Meter: 5,681

More
*Bumping the thread*
26th January 2012, 12:31 PM |#3  
Flag Slovenj Gradec
Thanks Meter: 767

More
Makes me wonder if such things might be possible to implement into other devices.
26th January 2012, 03:59 PM |#4  
Flag aguascalientes
Thanks Meter: 41

Donate to Me
More
for sure, but you need gpu drivers, mostly privative, im forgeting this im on lg p990,
27th January 2012, 04:44 PM |#5  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 105

More
Time to switch phone, maybe ;)
28th January 2012, 04:37 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 286

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nejc121

Makes me wonder if such things might be possible to implement into other devices.

Considering that Sony Ericsson seems to take the "for the greater good of the platform" approach to Android development in many cases I doubt that would be a problem. Just look at how much they contribute to AOSP that also greatly benefits their competitors.

Looking at this commit that seems to include a lot of the additions, it seems like a pretty general implementation.
13th February 2012, 07:52 PM |#7  
Flag San Jose, CA
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Is anyone outside of Sony able to get this WebGL implementation working?

I am using an omap reference, with 4.0.3 mr1 with TI drives and codecs, and I'm able to get the AFS compiled with Sony's WebGL implementation (yes, I saw there was an update on 1/31/2012 which added in a LOT of changes).

The browser works fine, but the browser crashes as it tries to load any WebGL example.

I've been trying to examples on the khronos site.

Was curious if anyone else was able to get it working ???
13th February 2012, 08:29 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 469

More
Laughable.

Sony does this, it gets ignored by the Sony hating internet, yet all these same sites were falling over themselves to report anything bad they could dig up about them... I'm guessing Microsoft were paying the wages of all the tech websites and had effective editorial control.
13th February 2012, 09:30 PM |#9  
Flag San Jose, CA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPeter

Laughable.

Sony does this, it gets ignored by the Sony hating internet, yet all these same sites were falling over themselves to report anything bad they could dig up about them... I'm guessing Microsoft were paying the wages of all the tech websites and had effective editorial control.

CrazyPeter,

I'm not following you completely here. I wasn't aware the internet hated Sony, but know their DRM policies have never sat well with some OSS supporters.

I am not sure how that would relate to these additions to webkit which Sony open sourced. IMO that is a good thing and Sony should be applauded for such an effort. My biggest worry is that we'll see multiple WebGL implementations, possibly one from Google themselves. It is not clear to me just exactly what Google announced last week in regards to Chrome, I need to read up on that again...if Google puts Chrome back into the webkit repo, it would make sense that it would need some type of WebGL implementation.

At the same time it would seem that nvidia/khronos would have an implementation of WebGL themselves, with the popularity of the Tegra devices growing every day.

AFAICT you need a device wtih a GPU to run the WebGL sources Sony published, it won't run in the emulator. I don't get an error in the browser when I open a WebGL page, so it thinks the browser supports it, AFAICT.
13th February 2012, 10:10 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 469

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftOrchestra

CrazyPeter,

I'm not following you completely here. I wasn't aware the internet hated Sony, but know their DRM policies have never sat well with some OSS supporters.

This is really it, you have latched onto a handful of cherrypicked stories about how Sony loves proprietary formats etc, everyone will bring up ATRAC and the same old regurgitated crap about that SonyBMG CD copy protection stuff from like a decade ago.

The point is, there are hundreds of companies, bigger and worse than Sony on this. Microsoft and Apple get a free pass, nobody dare mention their DRM schemes and crimes against consumers..... I wonder why...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$
6th March 2012, 07:52 AM |#11  

More
Question Implementation details
Hi,

I really appreciate your work of WebGL support in Android browser, thanks for open-sourcing it as well.

I am an WebKit browser enthusiast and I have following question about WebGL implementation.
a). You seem to be using Angle project for compiling shader etc. If I am correct, Angle need to be used only when the platform doesn't support OpenGL ES2.0, in which case Angle will convert the GL calls to driver specific calls. However, android supports OpenGL ES2.0, hence, is it required to use Angle?
b). Current implementation seem to share the textures created in render thread with UI thread using EGLImageKHR (Completely hardware accelerated path). But it also has the mechanism to render via CPU using paintRenderingResultsToCanvas method. Assuming that the default way of rendering in hardware accelerated, is CPU based method to render in necessary?

Thanks,
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)