Hello everyone, since you've come here you're probably looking for a way to fix your phone. There seems to be alot of new members popping up lately, all asking the same simple questions across various forums. Hopefully this thread can become a 1 stop shop of information on how to fix your bricked MS2, and information on what rom is compatible with what kernels.
A round-up thread can be found here but I'm pretty sure it is in need of an update - though some of the basics there are still relevant. <<<< PRETTY IMPORTANT THREADS IN THIS LINK
Droid 2 roms do not work with your Milestone 2. Period.
If you have updated to Gingerbread (officially), alot of the roms for the MS2 will not work on your phone anymore. Please refer to the version compatibility at the end of this thread to see what you can use. This is because the Kernel is upgraded and cannot be downgraded. Most of our roms run on an older kernel.
As of yet, no-one has permanently bricked there phone by flashing the wrong ROM or SBF file. This is due to the locked bootloader - no matter what you do you can't get rid of it and can allways flash back to stock ROM. If you think you cannot access bootloader mode and only get a black screen, fear not! It is actually in bootloader mode, just you can't see it. RSD-lite should recognize it.
Can't flash with RSD lite/phone still won't boot
- run RSD lite as administrator
- restart your PC
- get a different version of RSD lite (preferably newer - downgrade if on newest)
- re-download SBF file.
- Check you are using a correct SBF - if you updated to Gingerbread (officially) you MUST use a Gingerbread SBF. Froyo users can flash whatever, but I strongly recommend you dont flash a Gingerbread SBF
A guide to fully restoring your MS2 to "out of the box" settings can be found here
I can't access bootloader: Some side information on the bootloader - if you have let your battery drain too low, it will not work. If you can't seem to access bootloader mode and just get a blackish grey screen - it is infact in bootloader mode and RSD lite should recognize it (see restore guide) A bricked MS2 will not charge. You will either need a wall charger than charges the battery directly (not inside the phone), or you can use the MacGyver method of charging it directly with some wires directly from a power source (something low voltage 3-5v's or so). For more information on this, please refer to google . I do not recommend the macgyver method - I have used this method before and I swear my battery has never been the same since. Plus the obvious dangers of playing with electricity if you don't actually know what you are doing.
boot loop or moto logo then black screen when booting
Potential causes are:
- You may need to factory reset by accessing recovery. It is hold X on froyo, then when the triangle with the ! appears, you press @. I believe it is the same for gingerbread, but you press vol up and down when you get to the triangle. Please correct if i am wrong .
- Corrupt SBF file - try a different one.
- Incorrect SBF for the kernel you are on. If you OFFICIALLY updated to gingerbread, you can only use gingerbread roms and sbf's.
Custom ROMS for stock froyo users (still on froyo kernel or CH-GB leaked kernel):
INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS (froyo users)
CM7/CM9/MIUI install instructions can be found here - be sure to download the "all other users" version of CM9
Argen2Stone install instruction can be found here
To install endless7's CM7 mod, first install for tezet CM7, then flash the .zip of the mod in CWM.
There are others but I'm not sure if they are relevant any more - certainly hasn't been any updates in a long time.
Custom ROMS for official Gingerbread users:
INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS (Gingerbread users)
CM7/CM9 install instructions can be found here - be sure to download the "European GB kernel" version of CM9. CM7 will need to flash the fixed SBF with RSD lite afterwards (contains the kernel you require to boot your phone)
Argen2Stone install instruction can be found here also be sure you do not flash any fixed sbf as you are already on a compatible kernel. If you already did, or didnt come from stock gingerbread or get a bootloop, then try flashing the fixed sbf with rsd
If these instructions for GB seem wrong, please let me know - This is just what I've gathered from barely paying attention to it. I have not upgrade (/downgraded really) to official GB so don't know from experience.
Misc. Troubleshooting & Additional Information
- GPS not working - Download faster fix from the market and select an appropriate server - the rom you are on is probably set to a different country.
- Data not working - Check you have the right APN settings - often the default settings appear correct, yet have some errors (eg will put * as password and username, hen it should be blank.). Just google your country and provider for you correct settings.
- Apps force closing: try data+cache wipe and dalvik chache wipe (you will loose all data though)
ACCESSING RECOVERY - CWM or Stock
You can enter Clockwork Mod recovery by pressing the volume buttons when the notification LED flashes in boot up.
If you can't seem to access CWM, try entering Moto's recovery by holding x while turning on the phone and factory reset in there. (press "@" on froyo and "volume up & down" on gingerbread to get past the ! in the triangle.
If you can't access either of these, all thats left is restoring via RSD-lite and trying again.
If anyone has any suggestion to improve this thread, additions, or corrections, please comment and I'll edit if fitting .
Cheers - hope this can help a few people.
Special thanks goes out to tezet, endless7, will5 and santiemanuel for bringing us these custom roms, and to Mr. Clown, Mikevhl and EGZTHUNDER1 for your reference threads and guides I've linked to.