WeatherWallpaper 0.36 Nov25,2008: For S2U2. New version for Manila2D Weather!

Search This thread

superflysocal

Jul 31, 2007
A mortscript that changes s2u2 wallpaper based on current weather condition. Now there is support for Weatherpanel, HTC Weather, and the original Yahoo feed (based on notiweather script)

FOR INFO ON ANIMATED WALLPAPERS, see post #4 (but if you don't have this installed already, finish reading this first post first!)
post #4: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=2182530#post2182530

I wanted a way to change the wallpaper of s2u2 wallaper based of the weather forecast.

Since Schettj has created such a fantastic script to user Userweather without a weather app (feed from yahoo), the easiest way for me to start was just build on this, so many thanks to schettj for building a fantastic script.

I have now added scripts for Weather Panel and HTC Weather support that doesn't require data connection. (except for the WP and HTC weather application update itself) Please note that since HTC weather does not autoupdate, there will be times of discrepancy between what htc weather shows and s2u2 wallpaper show. In other words, after you manually update HTC weather, s2u2 wallpaper won't reflect this until the next time the script is scheduled to run (which depends on delayhour variable). This is why I was never crazy about writing a version for HTC weather. For weatherpanel version it is best that you set weatherpanel application to update more often or same as the WeatherWallpaperWP.mscr script.

Create a folder that have 48 wallpapers in jpg from 0.jpg, 1.jpg...47.jpg corresponding to the different weather forecast icons. Or use one of the wallpaper set I have below.

Notiweather link:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=358952

S2U2 link:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=381588

Sample Customizations

1. Also, to display current , high and lo temp in notiweather change the weather line to this:
weather="C|"&code&"| "&temp&"º H"&hitemp&"º\L"&lotemp&"º"
There should be about 5 or 6 spaces between &code&"| and ", but I don't know why it is not displayed correctly.
(Edit: Current version implements this already)

2. I believe animated gifs would be possible if you change the part in bold again above from ".jpg" to ".gif" and fill the folder full of gifs.
(Edit: On current version, just change the wallpapertype variable at the top to = ".gif" instead of ".jpg", make sure to include quotes)

Update: WeatherWallpaper0.36 now also has version for Manila2D Weather (look for the Weather_WallpaperM2D0.35.mscr script). See the replies below for "u" version.

Update: WeatherWallpaper v0.36 (yahoo only): line 176 fixed with missing ")"

Update: WeatherWallpaper v 0.35 and .35u
A slight modification to the script that will hopefully fix some of the refresh issues. I have ran this for a week and have not encountered coming out of standby without S2U2 lock screen coming up. Please let me know how it goes for you. I also have made a new naming convention. The "u" version refers to the version of the script which will display Last Updated time (like the old v.33). Again, this "u" version will be posted on the third post like before. Thanks goes out to Holmann.

Update: WeatherWallpaper v0.33
I also made a version of WeatherWallpaper for HTC, Yahoo, and Weather Panel that displays the last updated time (version .33). This can be found on the third post on this page. If you don't want the last updated time displayed, then use the version on this first post. Update v.33b: got rid of the extra 0 bug ie 007:30

Update: WeatherWallpaper v 0.32
- don't use v.31, there's a bug. Please use v0.32 for WP only.

Update: WeatherWallpaper v 0.31
- small bugfix. on WP version only, at night slide forecast may display -9999

UPDATE: WeatherWallpaper version 0.3
- contains updated versions for Weatherpanel and Yahoo. HTC version is unchanged.
- updated versions for WP and Yahoo now has a new variable slideforecast:
slideforecast=0 (default) no change to slide2unlock text
slideforecast=1 slide2unlock text will display daily forecast (match lower left icon if s2u2 weather is set to userweather)
slideforecast=2 slide2unlock text will display current condition (match wallpaper)
Please note this feature is for S2U2 v 1.02 or higher (preferably 1.05 or higher). Do not change the slideforecast variable if you are running v 1.01 or less.

Please note if you change slideforecast to 1 or 2 and then decide to change back to 0, the display will not automatically revert back to whatever it is you have ( ie "slide to unlock"). You will have to change it back your self using this utility by l3v5y or through registry edit:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2264560&postcount=923

WeatherWallpaper version 0.2:

- Now contains three scripts, WeatherWallpaperYah0.2.mscr (for standalone use getting weather data from yahoo feed), WeatherWallpaperWP0.2.mscr (for WeatherPanel), and WeatherWallpaperHTC0.2.mscr (for HTC Weather). You only need one of these scripts!

- Two new user settings at the top of the script:

# folder containing your weather wallpaper
wallpaperfolder = "\storage card\my documents\download\wallpaper\weather\"

# wallpaper type jpg or gif
wallpapertype= ".jpg"

- Display is now set at Current temp followed by High and Low temp, but only if you select Userweather in S2U2. For example:
80º H86º\L71º

- Also, it now only writes into registry and "update" s2u2 if the current condition has changed, avoiding too many s2u2 updates, which can cause some delay in s2u2 sometimes.

- Please note that the wallpaper by default is based on current condition (ccode) while the lower left icon is based on forecast (code), so it may not be the same sometimes. i did this on purpose because, with current conditions, the wallpaper will change more often, like 3-4 times a day, giving it a nicer effect. If it was forecast it would chnage like 1-2 times a day.

PocketWeather users: rifraf1 has written a script that supposedly works with PocketWeather. However, I will not be supporting this since I don't have PW installed, but feel free to try. See this link. Thanks rifraf1!!
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=2289453&highlight=PocketWeather#post2289453

Wallpaper Update

There are now three sets of wallpaper to choose from. My original vision was to use natural appearing wallpapers that shows the weather forecast. Obviously it has been hard to find for all 47 situations. I have about 10 or so and have filled up the remainder using Bliss Alive for WAD from Doreen at Lakeridgesoftware.com forum. This is now called Wallpaper MyCombo0.3.zip.

It appears that some or most of your would rather us use a more related computerized graphic set, so i have also included the complete set I made from Bliss Alive from Doreen. This is called Wallpaper Bliss Alive.zip. See pics from post #6 below.
Update 5-27-2008: Bliss Alive 0.3 is posted. Cleaned up the graphics for nicer look on PPC.

There is a third set which is a modification of Bliss Alive made by Bob_55 from SBSH forum. This is called samurize.zip. See post #5.

You can mix or match the jpgs.

Still waiting for someone to step up and provide a complete set of animated gifs. I have seen some but not enough to make a set.

Installation
1. download one of the wallpaper set below and extract and place in any folder you like.
2. install mortscript 4.1, and s2u2 at least v 1.01
3. download WeatherWallpaper0.2.zip and extract the three mscr files: WeatherWallpaperYah0.2.mscr (for standalone use getting weather data from yahoo feed), WeatherWallpaperWP0.2.mscr (for WeatherPanel), and WeatherWallpaperHTC0.2.mscr (for HTC Weather). You only need one of these!!
4. edit the .mscr file of your choice with Notepad on PC and change the following data:

wallpaperfolder (where your weather wallpapers are located from #1 above)
wallpapertype (jpg or gif, leave as ".jpg" if using any wallpaper set from here)

For Weathepanel and Yahoo versions only also change:
units (f or c, fahrenheit or celsius)
location (where you are located, see http://developer.yahoo.com/weather/ on finding your location)
delayhours (how often you want it to update)

5. save this mortscript and transfer to ppc in \windows\startup\
6. tap to run it or soft reset. you should see data activity (in yahoo version)
7. see links for notiweather and or s2u2 for further details

Troubleshooting

There appears to be issues arising espceially when using custom Roms or foreign language users. this script was written under the presumption that s2u2 was installed in standard location as well as weatherpanel (if you are using that). If you are having these issues try these two helpful posts:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2273219&postcount=144

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2271849&postcount=139

If you are using the latest Mortscript 4.11b you may have issues as well. Or you unit may be looking to connect to "Internet" instead of "The Internet". Look at this post:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2279195&postcount=160

If you cannot get the forecast to show on the slider (and the registry info is correct), see this thread (thanks Holman):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=2547257#post2547257

Schettj for original notiweather script
alanlsmith for the WP script version. His original version is on page 4 of this thread.
toniolol for help with HTC weather script

Attachments

• thunderrain_ss.jpg
    thunderrain_ss.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 3,100
  • windrain_ss.jpg
    windrain_ss.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,723
  • cloudsun_ss.jpg
    cloudsun_ss.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,516
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,491
  • Weather_Wallpaper0.36.zip
    7 KB · Views: 1,511
Last edited:

superflysocal

Jul 31, 2007
here are wallpapers i have so far (taken from pocketpcscreens.com)
2nd to last pic is screenshot including forecast on slide bar (optional)

in last pic, screenshot shows slide bar removed altogether leaving only forecast/summary

see this link for how:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2314286&postcount=212

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 690
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,052
  • s2u2_screenshot.jpg
    s2u2_screenshot.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,726
  • Screen01.jpg
    Screen01.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,313
Last edited:

superflysocal

Jul 31, 2007
I also made a version of WeatherWallpaper for HTC, Manila2D, Yahoo, and Weather Panel that displays the last updated time (version .33). On the WP version only, there is a humidity variable now. However, if you use this humidity or make any changes to how the data is displayed, then you need to change this appropriately (WP only):
oldmax =SubStr(curweather,-23,2)
oldmin =SubStr(curweather,-18,2)

If you don't know what I mean by this, then i recommend you change this:
If ( maxtempf = -9999)
maxtempf = oldmax
maxtemp = oldmax
EndIf
#
If ( mintempf = -9999)
mintempf = oldmin
mintemp = oldmin
EndIf

change oldmin and oldmax both to "--"

Update: v.36u now also has script for Manila2D (Weather_WallpaperM2D0.35u.mscr)

Update v.36u: changes made to Yahoo version only. fixed line 176 with missing ")"

Update v.35u: fixes some refresh issues

Update v.33b: got rid of the extra 0 bug ie 007:30

If you want 12hr format instead of 24hr then see this post:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=2521007#post2521007

If you don't want the last updated time displayed, then use the version on the first post above.

Attachments

• 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 484
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 602
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 771
  • Weather_Wallpaper0.36u.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 688
Last edited:

superflysocal

Jul 31, 2007
Animated Wallpapers

You asked for it, you're gonna get it! ANIMATED WALLPAPERS.

Since Rumball made the great set of animated weather Diamond icons for WeatherPanel, he has given me permission to do a set of animated wallpapers based on his work. These take a long time (I can see now why he asked for donation...he deserves it).

I plan on making a modified set which has shorter animation. The advantage besieds being less time consuming for me is that it is smaller in size and doesn't weigh down the device too much on resources to run. Also, I picked part of the animation which will allow it to run continuosly without the appearance of a break or pause.

I believe Rumball will also try to do a set which will have the full animation like his icon set so look out for that as well.

THE SET IS NOW COMPLETE!!! It was a lot harder than I thought but everyone's inspiration has fueled me on!

These are for QVGA only.

Instructions:
Download WeatherWallpaperAnimated1.0.zip and extra the content onto the folder which contain your weather wallpaper.

On your script, change wallpapertype= ".gif"
(default is ".jpg")

Soft reset.

Download:
http://rapidshare.com/files/137140922/WeatherWallpaperAnimated1.0.zip.html

Lastly, I don't know how to upload animated gifs for preview...probably need imageshack account or something. If anybody can do that, I can post the link here.

0.gif
1.gif
32.gif
29.gif
[/

Attachments

• cloudthunder_sample.jpg
    cloudthunder_sample.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 642
  • windcloud_sample.jpg
    windcloud_sample.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 408
  • suncloud_sample.jpg
    suncloud_sample.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

superflysocal

Jul 31, 2007
i will put more wallpaper here:

samples of the remainder of the wallpapers based on Bob_55 modification which is based on Vista Alive WAD theme from Doreen. This is called samurize. It is not a full size wallpaper!

Attachments

• 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 495
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 579
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

superflysocal

Jul 31, 2007
and hopefully more wallpapers here:

here are wallpapers based on Bliss Alive WAD theme made by Doreen from lakeridgesoftware.com forum.

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 327
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 343
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 430
  • 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:

superflysocal

Jul 31, 2007
other possible wallpapers we can use:

Attachments

• rainforest.jpg
    rainforest.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 322
  • sunbright.jpg
    sunbright.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 286
  • snowmountain.jpg
    snowmountain.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 281

Flipside

Oct 7, 2005
Copenhagen
This is a very cool idea :)
But I'd like to second : Please make it work with HTC-weather and pretty please make it gif-compatibel...
If we can get animations, I have a lot of animated weather wallpapers, so I could help with that part ;)

haiopei

Feb 18, 2006
Kiel
But I'd like to second : Please make it work with HTC-weather and pretty please make it gif-compatibel...
If we can get animations, I have a lot of animated weather wallpapers, so I could help with that part ;)

Hi,

shoot all the gifs in a converter please, so we can use it for this release :D

superflysocal

Jul 31, 2007
to display current , high and lo temp in notiweather change the weather line to this:

weather="C|"&code&"| "&temp&"º H"&hitemp&"º\L"&lotemp&"º"

there should be about 5 or 6 spaces between | and " after &code&

superflysocal

Jul 31, 2007

To make this work with HTC weather or weatherpanel, etc. I need to know where A_C finds that data..I haven't a clue.

specv

Dec 3, 2006
you could look at the creator of "vista alive" WAD. It has a wallpaper for every instance of weather conditions. Im sure she would give permissions to use it for this applicaton

Last edited:

superflysocal

Jul 31, 2007
you could look at the creator of "vista alive" WAD. It has a wallpaper for every instance of weather conditions. Im sure she would give permissions to use it for this applicaton

I checked that out. Pretty cool!! But I think the look I am going for with this a more natural real life picture for a wallpaper. I don't want it to be too obvious that the wallpaper reflects the weather forecast, and i think the computerized graphic pcitures give it that impression. Looks nice, but not necessarily the look i am going for. On the other hand, it may be good for filler jpgs for forecast I don't already have.

alanlsmith

Apr 29, 2007
Hampton
To make this work with HTC weather or weatherpanel, etc. I need to know where A_C finds that data..I haven't a clue.

If you are interested here is a script I wrote, originally inspired by Notiweather, which will display data from Weather Panel on the S2U2 screen & could be modified in the same way to change the S2U2 wallpaper.
It uses the 'current', 'hourly' & 'forecast' files in the Weather Panel data folder to get the information according to the time since the last Weather Panel update, so, what it shows should always match Weather Panel itself & can display the current as well as forecast temperatures.
You can choose what is shown on the S2U2 screen, see the end of the script for examples and change the fourth line from the end of the script weather="C|"&code&"|"&display6 to display1, display2 etc, it'll make sense when you look at the script. Oh! & change location_code at the start of the script to you chosen location.

Last edited: