[Q - SOLVED] OC Daemon Implementation

Search This thread

Nickamina

Jul 26, 2011
London
Hey guys,

I'm looking to learn how to implement the OC Daemon into custom ROMs which don't already make use of it (e.g. MIUI) and wondering if any of you could help with teaching me or pointing me in the right direction. I've done a couple of searches but turned up nothing so far.

Seeing as you're all so friendly in the Desire S forums ;), I thought I'd try here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

(Also, you're not having deja vu. I asked this question a while ago in the Q&A forum but it died without a single response. I'm guessing this was because the forum's not so popular, but forgive me if it's rude to ask the same question again elsewhere.)

UPDATE (30/01/12) - Answer:

If you want to do it from scratch, look for the virtuous_oc source code - you can get it from the rmk40's github.

If you just want to use it in your own rom, it's quite easy, and you can take it from an existing rom (e.g. Endymion).

You need:
/system/xbin/virtuous_oc (the daemon itself)
/system/etc/virtuous_oc (the entire directory, containing the files that the daemon will read to get configured)

and some script in /etc/init.d/ to actually start the daemon. Then you can use OC/UV Beater to control the thing.

Take a look into this and I'm sure you'll get it. The idea is that the files inside /etc/virtuous_oc contain the max and min frequencies, as well as the governor, for sleep and wake states.

And that's it! I don't want to go into much more detail than that, because it's not that difficult and if you're really interested you'll be able to work out any missing details for yourself anyway. ;)

Finally, many thanks to the much loved Lowveld for sharing this. :)

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm looking to learn how to implement the OC Daemon into custom ROMs which don't already make use of it (e.g. MIUI) and wondering if any of you could help with teaching me or pointing me in the right direction. I've done a couple of searches but turned up nothing so far.

Seeing as you're all so friendly in the Desire S forums ;), I thought I'd try here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

(Also, you're not having deja vu. I asked this question a while ago in the Q&A forum but it died without a single response. I'm guessing this was because the forum's not so popular, but forgive me if it's rude to ask the same question again elsewhere.)
Hi. Welcome to the Desire S forums.

Lowveld has managed to incorporate the OC daemon and other scripts into Sense 3.5 ROM (Endymion). Maybe you can ask him (PM).

If I were you, i'd go after him...:)

Nickamina

Jul 26, 2011
London
Hi. Welcome to the Desire S forums.

Lowveld has managed to incorporate the OC daemon and other scripts into Sense 3.5 ROM (Endymion). Maybe you can ask him (PM).

If I were you, i'd go after him...:)

Cheers enigmaamit. I guess I'll send him a PM then. :)

If I ever find what I'm looking for I'll be back to update this thread. I'm sure this is the kind of thing a lot of people here would love to learn more about.

noytexz

Jan 24, 2012
Trier
I know its not a good post to this thread but can you please tell me what exactly oc daemon does ?

Gesendet von meinem HTC Desire S mit Tapatalk

Nickamina

Jul 26, 2011
London
I know its not a good post to this thread but can you please tell me what exactly oc daemon does ?

Gesendet von meinem HTC Desire S mit Tapatalk

It's a form of integrated screen state frequency scaling (e.g. 1.2Ghz-245MHz/ondemand screen-on, 806Mhz-245Mz/conservative screen-off) which is more responsive and less prone to lag than using an app to control these values such as SetCPU.

Particularly useful if you have a different governor for your sleep state than you do for your awake state.