Thanks Meter: 3,055

By Indirect, Senior Member on 27th January 2012, 02:09 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
31st January 2012, 06:25 PM |#131  
Flag Highlands Ranch, CO.
Thanks Meter: 173

Donate to Me
More
Clarified Instructions (Revised 2012-02-09)
2012-02-09

Grab This Zip File which includes the application that allows you to write aka "Flash" an .img file (in Windows) and use it along with the Image File (.img) from THIS THREAD. This should be the latest and greatest. The Update.zip file is already included in the image so wherever the instructions say to replace it you can ignore that step. Questions, Comments, Concerns and issues should be directed to the new thread.

Repeated requests to update the OP have been ignored and the instructions below are depreciated because the files have all been revised multiple times and the links are no longer valid.

As someone who has successfully used the Windows Method from This Post I will attempt to clarify the steps.

Indirect has been busy working with other Developers on a Cyanogen Rom for this device and as such has enlisted the help of Brianf21 to troubleshoot issues with the files originally linked in that post above. Unfortunately that post OR the OP have not been revised. This is what you need to do.

1. Download the file listed in Post 14
2. Download the Revised .img fromThis Post
3. Download the Revised Update.zip file from This Post
4. Extract the zip file from step 1 and replace the .img file with the one you downloaded in step 2
5. Perform Steps 3-5 from Post 14. Make sure you select the NEW .img file from step 2
6. Perform step 6 from post 14 using the zip file from step 3. NOTE: This zip file will already be on the SD card but NEEDS to be replaced
7. Complete Steps 7-15 in Post 14

For those of you receiving the Factory Reset screen when trying to boot into CWM. You need to have the USB cable connected. I suggest you connect it prior to Step 7 from post 14. You can use the NT as your card reader as well if you have successfully installed the drivers and just leave the cable connected throughout the entire process.

@Indirect ... I know you are busy but if you get a chance I believe you should add a link to this post in post 14. It will probably save some of us from answering a lot of questions. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder357

Nevermind I found the update.zip link in a post. Might want to update the windows directions with a link so idiots like me don't keep bugging everyone

I was typing the clarified instructions while you figured this out. Good job!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Land Master For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Land Master Ad-Free

31st January 2012, 07:55 PM |#132  
Flag Fort Laudrdale
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Can't wait to try this when i get home from school, I've had my wife's nook sitting around for months now.
The Following User Says Thank You to TechGoon954 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TechGoon954 Ad-Free
31st January 2012, 09:50 PM |#133  
Flag providence, RI
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Got it to finally boot of SD card. Everything is working great. Now just need to find a new version of google+. The one in the gapps zip is outdated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
31st January 2012, 11:45 PM |#134  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Side Loading refuses to work. I keep enabling the unknown sources option after rooting and as soon as I exit the settings, the system auto-unchecks it. I have tried multiple times but side-loading refuses to work.
Any suggestions or am I doing something wrong?
1st February 2012, 12:15 AM |#135  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstre

Do you think this would work on the Nook Color?

I'm new to the Nook world, but I know sometimes rooting methods work across different variants (like the galaxy s family) thanks for any help!

Looks like we're waiting for the same answer.
1st February 2012, 12:36 AM |#136  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xthakila

Side Loading refuses to work. I keep enabling the unknown sources option after rooting and as soon as I exit the settings, the system auto-unchecks it. I have tried multiple times but side-loading refuses to work.
Any suggestions or am I doing something wrong?

Did you follow the Revised instructions from my Post Above?

If so you should have the NTHiddenSetting App installed. My unknown sources was checked and has remained checked.
1st February 2012, 12:40 AM |#137  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Master

Did you follow the Revised instructions from my Post Above?

If so you should have the NTHiddenSetting App installed. My unknown sources was checked and has remained checked.

Yes used your instructions... I guess I will just flash my nook back to 1.4.0 and re-upgrade and re-root...
1st February 2012, 01:18 AM |#138  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xthakila

Yes used your instructions... I guess I will just flash my nook back to 1.4.0 and re-upgrade and re-root...

Hmm. Did you click the Unknown Sources Hack button under NTHiddenSettings APP? To my knowledge doing so provides SU (root) privileges to the hack allowing it to function.

Do you see an entry for NTHiddenSettings within the Superuser App?

Lastly what version of the firmware were you running before rooting? I was using 1.4.0 which "may" explain something but this method is supposed to work for either. If you do restore I wouldn't upgrade to 1.4.1 as the available information in this forum says it serves no purpose other than to attempt blocking root.

Anyone running an un-rooted 1.4.1 use this method successfully? Please report.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatman60

Looks like we're waiting for the same answer.

I think you may be being ignored because why would it? The Nook Color has it's own forum. Have you checked there?

On a kinder note ... I don't know if it will work or not but this was developed for the Nook Tablet so I doubt it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Land Master For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Land Master Ad-Free
1st February 2012, 01:34 AM |#139  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I am also coming from 1.4.1, and using this method am now rooted and have CWM installed, but cannot sideload. It looks like when those of us coming from 1.4.1 check "Allow install from unknown sources" in NT Hidden Settings app, the box refuses to remain checked.

For those in the same boat, and are comfortable using ADB commands (I'm still learning, very slowly), it looks like CSX321 has a workable method to enable sideloading in his Calendar Sync thread.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

And yes, there is an "Allowed" entry for NT Hidden Settings in the Superuser app
The Following User Says Thank You to partaker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift partaker Ad-Free
1st February 2012, 01:39 AM |#140  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Could you pull up that link so us on 4.1 can be able to check unknown sources correctly ?
1st February 2012, 01:43 AM |#141  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
CSX321's calendar sync and sideloading method is here

Hope you can get it to work.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)