[KERNEL] Assorted Stock Kernels by ROM type and main version

Search This thread

NilsP

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Near Albany NY
Samsung Galaxy S21
There is lots of concern about kernels and flashing them with various main versions. There are 3 basic main versions floating around:

Shipped Rezound - Main Version = 1.02.605.6
OTA Rezound - Main Version = 2.01.605.11
Leaked RUU for Android 4.0.3 - Main Version = 3.10.605.7

I am not going to mess with the leaked RUU for 4.0.3 but I can help with the other two. So, all of the following can be flashed in recovery and will install the library then reboot to bootloader to install the boot.img.

This will at least help you install a complete kernel for whatever situation you are in to cure things like WiFi broken.

Choose the one that best fits your situation, copy it to your SD Card, reboot to recovery and choose the Install Zip option. When it reboots to bootloader press power to start and then follow the instructions.

Currently running a Gingerbread ROM before installing the OTA:
Main Version = 1.02.605.6

Currently running a ICS ROM before installing the OTA:

Currently running a Gingerbread ROM after installing the OTA:
Main Version = 2.01.605.11

Currently running a ICS ROM after installing the OTA:

NOTE: You must be HTC UnLocked

If you are running the stock OTA stick with that kernel

By the way,
The GB kernel is the unlocked kernel for ADB when phone is active.
The ICS kernel is the one for ICS 4.0.1

Last edited:

mjh68

Apr 20, 2010
thanks for writing this up Nils, I think it will save alot of problems and questions arising from flashing different roms ! :)

Reactions: DigiDave

BBEgo

Sep 14, 2011
Wow, you just helped soooo many people. :thumbup:

Good work! :beer:

BBEgo

Sep 14, 2011
What if I have
Kernel version: 3.0.13-gaf15497
Build number: 3.10.605.7

I want to get back to GB so I can unroot, relock, and get the OTA's new radio?

NilsP

Jul 31, 2009
Near Albany NY
Samsung Galaxy S21
What if I have
Kernel version: 3.0.13-gaf15497
Build number: 3.10.605.7

I want to get back to GB so I can unroot, relock, and get the OTA's new radio?
I assume your at the 3.x main version then. I can get you to the stock kernel but can't change the main version with this approach. You could try the gb kernel from the released version and see if you get the mainver failure. If you do you can use the manual approach to get to mainver back to 1.02.605.6

j0hnnyn

Sep 20, 2011
California
I'm currently on rooted stock shipped Rezound, no OTA. I'm having trouble flashing back to CleanICS, ineffibilis ICS and ineffibilis Gb roms. I was previously on CleanICS. Then decided i wanted to go back to a Gb ROM. So what I did was flash a GB boot.img then I tried to flash ineffibilis Gb, but then the installation gets aborted in recovey. I was able to restore my stock rooted GB ROM though.

I tried to flash your kernel for "stock Gb Rezound, before OTA", but I'm also getting a Mainver failure.

What do I need to do to Be able to flash ineffibilis GB ROM? I'm currently on Gb stock no OTA. Shouldn't I be able to flash other Gb roms without worrying about mainver?

Last edited:

JeramyEggs

Jan 4, 2011
Charleston Il
Finally got my head around this a couple of days ago, and thought someone should do exactly this. This is what makes you, you. Thank you Nile for being the kind of developer every phone needs.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

spitzaf

Nov 11, 2011
Longmont, CO

In my case, I was on stock with OTA 2.01.605.11, and am installing Senseless 2.1 ICS. By your terminology, would I go with "running an ICS ROM after installing OTA", or stick to the stock kernel per the final bold statement?

NilsP

Jul 31, 2009
Near Albany NY
Samsung Galaxy S21
In my case, I was on stock with OTA 2.01.605.11, and am installing Senseless 2.1 ICS. By your terminology, would I go with "running an ICS ROM after installing OTA", or stick to the stock kernel per the final bold statement?
If your going to the ICS ROM you need to flash the ICS kernel.

The last statement simply means if you are running the OTA don't bother with any other kernels.

silverxbv2

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jun 28, 2010
So to go from your ICS back to a stock rooted nandroid restore what would be needed? The main version thing is confusing.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

NilsP

Jul 31, 2009
Near Albany NY
Samsung Galaxy S21
So to go from your ICS back to a stock rooted nandroid restore what would be needed? The main version thing is confusing.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
To go back to stock from my ICS ROM as long as you have not installed the OTA just requires running the stock RUU. You should not have to relock or anything since you still have the stock radio and hboot.

Now if you installed the OTA that is another story and there is a whole thread about that.

Reactions: silverxbv2

NilsP

Jul 31, 2009
Near Albany NY
Samsung Galaxy S21
Part of my reason for starting this thread was to help others with main version problems.

The second reason was to help myself and other developers determine when we could safely cut our ROM's over to the OTA main version even if we did not use the new OTA kernel.

The downloads for these kernels, even after just 1 day, clearly indicates that most people have either accepted the OTA or installed the OTA ROM on their own. In other words, most of the downloads are for the versions that are based on the OTA main version to be installed on custom ROM's that use the old main version kernels.

I will watch the downloads for a few more days then decide what to do with my ROMs

silverxbv2

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jun 28, 2010
To go back to stock from my ICS ROM as long as you have not installed the OTA just requires running the stock RUU. You should not have to relock or anything since you still have the stock radio and hboot.

Now if you installed the OTA that is another story and there is a whole thread about that.

No. I didn't run the ota. Just need to get back to the stock gb Rom I made a backup of right after unlocking and rooting for a minute.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

rileyd5

May 6, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nils,

Just wanted to clarify one thing. I relocked, flashed original ruu, accepted ota, unlocked again and rooted. still using this rom which is essentially bone stock rooted. If I flash CR based off latest ota and later decided to restore nandroid of the bone stock, do I flash this kernel as well?

my apologies for the question but I wondered in the case you are restoring a nandroid, do you need to also flash the kernel before restoring the nandroid. Hope I made myself clear. lol.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is lots of concern about kernels and flashing them with various main versions. There are 3 basic main versions floating around:

Shipped Rezound - Main Version = 1.02.605.6
    OTA Rezound - Main Version = 2.01.605.11
    Leaked RUU for Android 4.0.3 - Main Version = 3.10.605.7

I am not going to mess with the leaked RUU for 4.0.3 but I can help with the other two. So, all of the following can be flashed in recovery and will install the library then reboot to bootloader to install the boot.img.

This will at least help you install a complete kernel for whatever situation you are in to cure things like WiFi broken.

Choose the one that best fits your situation, copy it to your SD Card, reboot to recovery and choose the Install Zip option. When it reboots to bootloader press power to start and then follow the instructions.

Currently running a Gingerbread ROM before installing the OTA:

Currently running a ICS ROM before installing the OTA:

By the way,
    The GB kernel is the unlocked kernel for ADB when phone is active.
    The ICS kernel is the one for ICS 4.0.1
    thanks for writing this up Nils, I think it will save alot of problems and questions arising from flashing different roms ! :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

No. I didn't run the ota. Just need to get back to the stock gb Rom I made a backup of right after unlocking and rooting for a minute.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Do the nand restore and flash the GB kernel with old main version.
    Nils,

Just wanted to clarify one thing. I relocked, flashed original ruu, accepted ota, unlocked again and rooted. still using this rom which is essentially bone stock rooted. If I flash CR based off latest ota and later decided to restore nandroid of the bone stock, do I flash this kernel as well?

my apologies for the question but I wondered in the case you are restoring a nandroid, do you need to also flash the kernel before restoring the nandroid. Hope I made myself clear. lol.
    Here's the deal. You need to do the nand restore then apply the correct kernel after the nand restore.

If you have applied the OTA in any way your main version will be 2.01.605.11 as long as you were locked when you did it.

That means that from then on if you install a ROM that is based on the factory main version of 1.02.605.6 your kernel install will fail because the main version is older. 1.02.605.6 is older than 2.01.605.11

If it is a Gingerbread ROM you need to use:

If it is a ICS ROM you need to use

You do have the option to change the main version as outlined in the "fix mainver" thread.

I hope that helps.