Windows 8 sucks for desktops....

Search This thread

Vadrieldur

Jan 30, 2012
You're totally right.. after i saw the first previews of the Win8 i decided to return to the Win 98.. lol

link68759

Jun 20, 2010
Razer Phone 2
Sony Xperia 5 II
I totally agree..because what we expect from a PC is ease of access not the other way around...especially from keyboard and mouse they want us to use tiles
feels kinda stupid..the wrost case is search if I want to access a program is that really necessary for me to know which category it will falls in...its easy sometimes but not in the case of normal users....if MS really doesn't want to face the vista situation...they need to really think about the PC version of Win8....one more thing I want yo point out is that OS is really good for touchscreen capable devices but not for analog device operation....this is my opinion for the current developer built and not for win8 as a whole...
Modern desktop monitors and TVs are widescreen; it would be foolish to have a vertical scrolling interface...

I've tested windows 8 on my laptop (with touchscreen) and my desktop. I removed it because it's much too unstable at the moment, but I enjoyed the experience and I definitely see potential for awesomeness once the market fills out.

I think most of the naysayers haven't owned a WP7 device; yeah it's weird when you start out, but when you learn how to use the system, it's the most efficient and awesome UI anyone could ask for. Those of you who have "used" it and hate it probably never really understood how it works, or else are just blind fanboys of other systems, flaming away and unable to have an open mind. It works, it's efficient, it's a good system. Get over it, no one cares if you hate it.
But since there are basically zero tiles for Windows 8 right now, none of the naysayers are able to actually see what it will be capable of.

From my perspective, Windows 8 works great with keyboard and mouse, and using it with the touchscreen (as a tablet) is effortless and intuitive; so much so I might actually buy a windows 8 tablet when one comes out (my previous stance on tablets is; they're a gimmick, just toys for gaming and watching videos... all of which my laptop does better. If the windows 8 tablets aren't ARM, god I hope they aren't, they will actually be able to run x32 x64 exes. In addition to most of android's stuff, and also, WP7's stuff).
That said, windows 8 is worst on a laptop with a touchpad. Touchpads are inferior in general, but with a laptop you are often forced to use it. For some reason, a touchpad on windows 8 is excruciatingly painful, and I found myself hugging the keyboard shortcuts more than ever.

Right now, as many have pointed out, this is no indicator of what 8 will look like. This developer preview is more like 7 in a fancy new hat than a full blown release (think, WP7 skins for winmo 6; looks like it, but you can't actually have the apps or do anything new).

For those who said the registry might be going away and windows will be "x1000 better without it"... the registry may get cluttered over time, but clutter does not contribute to system performance in any way. It just annoys some people, and the "registry cleaners" fool everyone into thinking a cluttered registry is bad. This. Is. False. There may be one ill defined key that causes the system to hang in a certain situation, and a registry cleaner *might* find it while it takes out a third of your registry, giving you the illusion that cleaning made it "x1000 better".
As far as registry vs ini files; registry settings are better for compatibility. You can back up settings on XP and bring them over to 7, whereas with a program that uses AppData, you must manually place it in the correct new slot, or god forbid it doesn't even used appdata, you need to put it in the correct folder... etc etc. and If the registry goes, then that will invalidate a lot of useful registry tweaks online (and who knows if the new location for system settings will be so easily accessible, or closed off to everyone but the most cunning hackers?). Just musing, but really the registry isn't doing much harm; those calling out for the noose seem to be disillusioned as to what the registry is actually responsible for.

Last edited:
Reactions: circleofomega

kainppc6700

Apr 24, 2010

link68759

Jun 20, 2010
Razer Phone 2
Sony Xperia 5 II
Yeah, it is easily mistaken for Windows 98

Says the person who thinks Windows Mobile 7 is a smartphone...
But, I digress...

- 2B
It's windows PHONE 7, not windows mobile 7. If you're trying to play Mr. know-it-all and look down on other people, best get your facts right first.

Let's try to steer this thread to a more civilized discussion, eh? Windows Phone 7 is classified as a smartphone, that's not going to change just because you don't like it. Enough of this petty tit for tat.

circleofomega

Nov 27, 2009
Mumbai
I don't buy apple, but after Microsoft's WM7 bs, I'd have to say that IOS outruns any Windows Mobile 7, as does BlackBerry and BADA. It looks cool, but it's just useless - I mean, what can you do with it?

- 2B

I somewhere agree with you and also disagree...i had a HD7 when it launched, uses it for a year and got tired of it...no wallpaper, so access to system files...phew...in the end i almost wondered do i really owe this device or not...anyways, but the OS per say isn't bad...its snappy, fast and v v responsive...i will agree iOS is slightly better, but i hate Apple as I think they every product is a daylight robbery...IMHO. Am on RaZr now and I am happy...

And since you mentioned BB OS, here is something to laugh on while we all see it die a slow death, the shortest joke in the world - Blackberry Smartphone... ;)

Sent from my Droid RaZr.

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Yeah, it is easily mistaken for Windows 98

Says the person who thinks Windows Mobile 7 is a smartphone...

But, I digress...

- 2B
I don't think you know what your talking about.

Also, I'm very careful about what I
Call Windows PHONE 7 ( windows mobile 7 existed but was scraped) I don't compare it to Windows mobile because they are different beasts, WM was (is) a pocket pc, WP is a phone,

With your general lack of understanding and your trolling attitude I suspect you've never used WP, or wm for that matter, your fairly young an your first phone was an android. At least try an be constructive with your posts, no ones telling you to agree one way or another, but if your not able to construct a rational INFORMED debate then you should not return here

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

ConayR

Feb 5, 2012
For those who said the registry might be going away and windows will be "x1000 better without it"... the registry may get cluttered over time, but clutter does not contribute to system performance in any way. It just annoys some people, and the "registry cleaners" fool everyone into thinking a cluttered registry is bad. This. Is. False. There may be one ill defined key that causes the system to hang in a certain situation, and a registry cleaner *might* find it while it takes out a third of your registry, giving you the illusion that cleaning made it "x1000 better".
There are performance issues with file-based configs which in general is the main reason for Windows switching from INIs to registry. Pretty much each and every component has some configuration somewhere. When you run an app, you load a bunch of DLLs, each of those read configuration data. Since registry is a single file (well, a bunch of files, less than 4 though) and is properly cached by a system, access to the configuration is super fast. And before someone starts the silly "oh, but Linux uses /etc/ and I've never seen any perf issues" - ask yourself, have you measured this perf? Have you taken into account the fact that Windows has more comprehensive security policies than Linux? Yeah, I know, it's surprising, right? But ACLs and security descriptors provide a much finer granularity of access checks than mods on ext files. For a price, but hey, I hear people like security, right? ;)

Registry is by no means great. It's improved over the years in terms of performance and clarity as to what goes where (developers using it without understanding the structure are the main reason for registry being a complete dumpster) but it bears remembering that it wasn't initially designed to store configuration of the whole universe. :)

As for Win8 sucking on desktop - the only Windows 8 experience we've seen so far is tailored for the tablets. We haven't seen the desktop Win8 yet so it's completely unsurprising that what we've got (somewhat) sucks on desktop.

Last edited:
Reactions: kainppc6700

link68759

Jun 20, 2010
Razer Phone 2
Sony Xperia 5 II
There are performance issues with file-based configs which in general is the main reason for Windows switching from INIs to registry. Pretty much each and every component has some configuration somewhere. When you run an app, you load a bunch of DLLs, each of those read configuration data. Since registry is a single file (well, a bunch of files, less than 4 though) and is properly cached by a system, access to the configuration is super fast. And before someone starts the silly "oh, but Linux uses /etc/ and I've never seen any perf issues" - ask yourself, have you measured this perf? Have you taken into account the fact that Windows has more comprehensive security policies than Linux? Yeah, I know, it's surprising, right? But ACLs and security descriptors provide a much finer granularity of access checks than mods on ext files. For a price, but hey, I hear people like security, right? ;)

Registry is by no means great. It's improved over the years in terms of performance and clarity as to what goes where (developers using it without understanding the structure are the main reason for registry being a complete dumpster) but it bears remembering that it wasn't initially designed to store configuration of the whole universe. :)

As for Win8 sucking on desktop - the only Windows 8 experience we've seen so far is tailored for the tablets. We haven't seen the desktop Win8 yet so it's completely unsurprising that what we've got (somewhat) sucks on desktop.
Right, I forgot that having one cached location reduces the disk bottlenecking. Playing devil's advocate (and knowing little about how linux works), /etc/ is usually it's own partition, no? (I forget). The linux kernel may very well keep /etc/ cached and defragged (or not even use fragmented recording). At least, that's how I would design it.

As for registry maintenance, I recommend Revo Uninstaller. A lot of apps leave behind files and registry settings, even when you tell them not to. It isn't worth the $30 or so they charge for it (because there are no performance benefits) but I use it for the peace of mind, and troubleshooting non-working programs.

Last edited:
W

wri0013

Just tried Windows 8 on Saturday it was crap on my 10" netbook so I tried to hackintosh it and epically failed. :(

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
As much as I like MS for releasing unfinished products for people to test, I'm starting to think its a bad idea, at least for those that seem incapable of understanding what it is their playing with, I've never seen such negativity over a tech demo as with this, its like writing off a proof of concept car without actually seeing it or using it. Very bizzar

Reactions: efjay

efjay

Nov 18, 2004
As much as I like MS for releasing unfinished products for people to test, I'm starting to think its a bad idea, at least for those that seem incapable of understanding what it is their playing with, I've never seen such negativity over a tech demo as with this, its like writing off a proof of concept car without actually seeing it or using it. Very bizzar

There seems to be a real, deep-seated reluctance by a lot of people to accept anything from Microsoft as a valid alternative to ios and android devices. Almost as if those two somehow have been granted the sole rights to provide the technology that people use. Same with WP7. You would think a new take on how we use and interact with our computers would be found exciting by tech lovers. Personally I enjoy the Metro UI paradigm as its so different and fresh and am looking forward to the consumer preview on my Acer W500.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lets be honest here.... the metro UI looks nice and all, but without a touch screen its completely out of place.. Keyboard and mouse interfaces have traditionally been vertical, you move through web pages vertically, you scroll through lists vertically, but metro UI is horizontal, scrolling down to turn right isn't quite intuitive....

and yea Ive done the "hack" to bring back the old start menu, but if you do that the metro UI kinda trips out plus thats the whole point of using windows 8 versus windows 7...

... worst thing was I deleted my Ubuntu partition to use it, but in a couple of days I think I'm gonna get the Ubuntu 11.10 beta 2 and delete windows 8
    I'm apprehensive to keep replying to this thread, because of the blind hatred that is almost always accompanied with a painful amount of ignorance... and any comment I make is quickly buried by more blather. Yet, here I am again. I guess I just can't muster the strength to resist correcting wrongs on the internet. Oh well, maybe I'll learn with time. :)

I read on one of microsoft's developer blogs that the metro start menu is fullscreen primarily because it allows you to visualize what you have access to. It's also finger friendly, and a whole lot better than 7's start menu that is confined to that little box (XP's was better because it allowed the box to expand across the screen). This makes sense. You should be happy that they are making the start menu more efficient, stop whining.

About tiles; a lot of the people in this thread seem to think that the introduction of tiles equals less user control, or dumbing down the system. Where do you get that idea? Adding a UI layer does not dumb down the whole OS, as it does not change anything about it OS; it is an entirely new UI that doesn't really replace any functionality. If you try to argue that the metro UI as replacing the pinnable area in the 7 start menu, then this is much an improvement: the pins update to give you information without you having to open whatever it launches.

I personally hate widgets; I want to use them because I love the idea of getting information on my desktop, but they cover my wallpaper which I like to have a clear view of. Tiles are perfect; no stupid UI or complex themes, no round edges that don't fit together. Information that's nice and neat, that is a separate UI element from the desktop, so my wallpaper isn't covered. I like it.
    I have previously mentioned that the biggest reason people hate live tiles is because they don't know how to use them, or how to properly embrace the system. These would be the people who shut their ears and shout nonsense at the first sign of change. It's incredibly annoying, would you stop?

The only valid arguments against tiles are the ones that point out the inefficient text size. Yes, it could stand to get customizable text sizes and perhaps a few tweaks to accommodate more text information (though I can appreciate that the reasons for the limits; this is supposed to be a preview of content, not the entirety of the content, and we shouldn't start asking for entire articles or books to scroll through tile previews). I believe that these updates are coming, however, on both desktop and WP8, so have patience; there is no reason to spew hate on a work in progress, this is only counter productive. One of the reasons I got WP7 was so that I could follow the development of a new technology. It's quite exciting to see something grow and mature :)

I know that the 360 has a raging preteen fanboy base, but I really don't want to find out that this also applies to Windows desktop. Go bring your fanboyisms to Mac, or linux if you prefer (though I also like to think the *NIX community is populated by professional bearded developers)

Speaking of the 360, I have not heard any mass complaints over the metro UI overhaul. Contrarily, it seems to be positively received almost universally.
    It's a dev preview. It's not even a beta. Anything can and will change. Don't base your opinions of W8 on this.
    maybe i'm just weird like that, but i kinda like the metro ui on my laptop/desktop setup. even though i don't have a touch-enabled screen, it didn't take me long to get used to using metro and make it work the way i like.
    The live tiles and simplicity of it all are very nice, and dual booting Kubuntu was simple, I'm quite sure triple booting (Win7) would be a piece of cake as well. The desk top with the split screen is awesome! And a desktop is a desk top I don 't see the big deal here... Oh, this is a pre beta, I almost forgot. So let's see, New features, choices, smaller footprint, options, OH and Upgrade!?!? Can we try and see the cool part of it?