[GUIDE][N00B]Step-By-Step ROOT/Update/ROM Instructions + 902 Update Info (5/18/12)

Which ROM did you install?

• Kin3tix

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • Eclipse

Votes: 121 70.8%
  • Liberty

Votes: 25 14.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

LucasMN

Mar 5, 2011
After installing the safestrap.apk, reboot. Then go into your app menu and open safestrap. It will give you 2 options, install recovery and uninstall recovery. You need to install before the recovery will work. (If you reboot and don't see the safestrap recovery, you need to go into the app and install it).

Then reboot again, hit the menu button when safestrap comes up. Now you can backup,

Minor, but in Step 21, it's actually "Toggle Safe System", not mode.

To clarify, the "Unsafe" is your stock rom. "Safe" is where you can load your roms. This seems backwards to me as when I think "safe", I think stock. But never the less, "unsafe" is stock. I copied the stock "backup" folder to my laptop for a worst case option.

This write up makes doing all of this stupidly easy. Props to you Tuck, wish the OG Droid, G-Tab and Touchpad guys would have made something like this "all in one" write up.

Edit: lol at the prompts for KIN3TX during the install. "Lets mount this b****"

Last edited:
Reactions: Tucknology

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
Hey Tuck,

Followed your instructions for getting to 901. Nice and simple (though I wish CWM would work, haha). Kept root too!

Incase anyone can't figure out how to navigate. In the stock recovery, you have to use the volume DOWN button, to select you need to use the volume UP button, this is in step 11. Then in step 14 it is different, up and down work to navigate, but the power button is to select. If you put the update in a folder and not just in the root of your SD card, you will have to go into that folder. I created one called "Updates" so it's easy to remember.

If you are on 901, under "about phone", the System version will be 5.9.901.XT875.Verizon.en.US.

I'll be giving your safestrap install a run here in a couple minutes.

Safestrap includes CWM.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see your 2nd post. Duh.

Last edited:

LucasMN

Mar 5, 2011
I did realize that once I read a little more and deff. noticed when I got it installed.

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
Edit: lol at the prompts for KIN3TX during the install. "Lets mount this b****"

The Kin3tx install process alone is worth it. DroidTh3ory is a hilarious mofo. May he rest in peace.

Thanks for your suggestions. I added them to the OP. Some of that stuff I already had, so please continue to give suggestions on how to clarify it.

Mattyv2478

Feb 5, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I installed the eclipse ROM. It seems like I cant make any phone calls there is no data on the phine the only thing I can do is hook up to wifi. I have rebooted several times still no data or signal.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

also on 5.5.893

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
Quick question.
I'm on 893 now with eclipse 2.0
Can I safetly do the 901 update zip through recovery while on eclipse 2.0?

No. You must be on stock 893 afaik. I don't know what to recommend... Are you using safe strap or bionic bootstrap recovery? Did you backup your stock system?

If you don't have a backup look into the path saver script...let me know how it goes.

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
In other news, nitroglycerine33 has released the official Eclipse 2.1 and it has been reported to be compatible with 902. Nitro also says he will be releasing a 902 build soon, but it will not be different except for saying "902" in the build box. I will be testing ROM compatibility of Kin3tix tonight so stay tuned.

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
902 Update Instructions

NEW! Introduction
The following instructions are only for people who already followed my guide above. They are confirmed to work for users of Eclipse and Kin3tix 1.0, and if you try it with Liberty please inform me of your results.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that you do to anything. Period.

Prerequisites
• Windows
• 901 system already installed
• Safestrap
• At least 2GB free on internal sd card (EMMC partition)
• At least 4GB free on external sd card (you can move old backups onto your PC to make room if necessary)

!!! - ONLY PROCEED WITH A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY - !!!​

Instructions
1) This step has been removed. Proceed to step 2.
2) Download 901 -> 902 update and place it on your external SD card. Don't unzip it. Credit: FantomPhlasher @ DroidForums
Optional Step: If you are using Eclipse 2.1 RC1 now is a good time to update to Eclipse 2.2 Official. Download it onto your SD card now. Credit: Nitroglycerin33 @ EclipseRom.com
3) Backup any important/critical app data (e.g. sync calendar, export settings in launcher).
3) Reboot system, and then press MENU to enter safestrap recovery mode (touch button with four squares, to the left of the home button). Green menu = good.
4) Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup. I don't see the need for backing up the primary system or webtop since they will shortly be updated. Your choice. I'm paranoid so I made two backups, one with and one without those options. I recommend saving the backup to the external SD card so safestrap has room to operate on the internal card in subsequent steps. The backup will be saved in \Safestrap\Backup.
5) Select "++++Go Back++++" to return to the main recovery menu.
6) Go to the "safe boot menu".
7) Select "Toggle Safe System". Wait a little bit.
8) Select "+++++Go Back+++++", verify that "Safe System is: DISABLED", and then "reboot system now".
9) Allow stock system to settle if you haven't used it in a while. Make sure to update your apps, especially Superuser. To do this manually, go to the market app, then press the menu key, and go to "My Apps". Update everything. Superuser gave me an error to update, so I uninstalled it then reinstalled.
10) Shutdown phone.
11) Hold down BOTH volume buttons, and press the power button. This will boot you into stock recovery.
12) Select "Recovery" in the menu. (Beware the weird method of navigating the menu. To select Recovery press volume down, then volume up).
13) At the fancy logo, press BOTH volume buttons.
14) Go to "Apply Update" then select the 902 Update from step # above. (Navigate up/down with the volume keys and use the power button for enter.) The update will take a while.
15) Pay attention to progress. Note any error messages carefully If you modified/debloated/icon-changed/whatever your stock system you won't pass this stage. You'll have to try something fancier. Seek help elsewhere if this is you.
16) Reboot phone and allow stock to boot. Notice safestrap is gone. This will take longer than usual.
17) Verify system version (Settings -> About Phone).
18) Use Root Checker Basic from the market to verify you are rooted.
19) Start the safestrap app (from your list of apps) and press the "Install Recovery" button. This will reinstall safestrap.
20) Reboot system, and then press MENU to enter safestrap recovery mode (touch button with four squares, to the left of the home button). Green menu = good.
21) Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup of your stock 902 system. I recommend backing up the webtop, and saving the backup to the external SD card so safestrap has room to operate on the internal card in subsequent steps. The backup will be saved in \Safestrap\Backup.
22) Go to the "safe boot menu".
23) Select "Toggle Safe System". Wait a little bit.
24) Select "+++++Go Back+++++", and verify that "Safe System is: ENABLED".
25) Select "Wipe cache partition".
26) Now go to the "Advanced" menu and select "Wipe Dalvik Cache".
Optional Steps: If you are upgrading to Eclipse 2.2 Official.
A) Select "+++Go Back+++" to return to the main menu.
B) Select "Install zip from sdcard". DON'T GO TO "apply update from sdcard".
C) Select "choose zip from sdcard" and find the ROM .zip file. DON'T GO TO "apply /sdcard/update.zip".
D) If you are coming from Liberty or Kin3tix, select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" in the main menu. Don't do this if you are coming from Eclipse 2.1 RC1.​
27) Finally, select "+++Go Back+++" to return to the main recovery menu and select "power off".
28) Wait for power down to finish, then restart your bionic. Be patient, the first boot takes unusually long.
29) If your ROM doesn't work, you can try the "Wide Data/Factory Reset" option, or you can install the newest Eclipse, or you can just use stock.

PLEASE CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

Last edited:

dandycat

Feb 9, 2012
Just wondering how I tell what version I'm on to update from. In my settings > about phone it says 893 after I'm rooted, so I download the second file from the link in your second post correct?

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
Just wondering how I tell what version I'm on to update from. In my settings > about phone it says 893 after I'm rooted, so I download the second file from the link in your second post correct?

Dandycat, thanks for your question. Right now I don't know the answer. It took me a while to figure out what to do for myself. Those are the directions I've provided. As I stated in my first post, I'm figuring out the best methods for everyone else (like you). This is a major challenge because so many people are in so many different situations, and information is scattered all over the place. There is a lot of bad info, a lot of misinformation, and a lot of people doing things the hard way.

Please take this advice. You are on 893. Don't do anything right now. Just be patient. I'll have good info up soon. If you update to 901 or 902 without correctly rooting first you'll just have to go back anyway, and this will be MUCH MORE DIFFICULT. I am absolutely positive about that.

Please, if you are patient I promise by the weekend I'll have step-by-step for everyone.

dandycat

Feb 9, 2012
Dandycat, thanks for your question. Right now I don't know the answer. It took me a while to figure out what to do for myself. Those are the directions I've provided. As I stated in my first post, I'm figuring out the best methods for everyone else (like you). This is a major challenge because so many people are in so many different situations, and information is scattered all over the place. There is a lot of bad info, a lot of misinformation, and a lot of people doing things the hard way.

Please take this advice. You are on 893. Don't do anything right now. Just be patient. I'll have good info up soon. If you update to 901 or 902 without correctly rooting first you'll just have to go back anyway, and this will be MUCH MORE DIFFICULT. I am absolutely positive about that.

Please, if you are patient I promise by the weekend I'll have step-by-step for everyone.

Sure! I'm in no hurry to root and get a different rom on the phone. I wasn't sure which one to pick, so I figured I'd wait until someone had a more solid answer. Thanks a lot for your wonderful post! I look forward to moving on past root!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is out of date and has been deprecated.

Please visit the link below for up-to-date information.

http://www.droidhive.com/forums/ind...-2233-235-find-out-here-download-links-in-op/
    902 Update Instructions

NEW! Introduction
    The following instructions are only for people who already followed my guide above. They are confirmed to work for users of Eclipse and Kin3tix 1.0, and if you try it with Liberty please inform me of your results.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that you do to anything. Period.

Prerequisites
    • Windows
    • 901 system already installed
    • Safestrap
    • At least 2GB free on internal sd card (EMMC partition)
    • At least 4GB free on external sd card (you can move old backups onto your PC to make room if necessary)

!!! - ONLY PROCEED WITH A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY - !!!​

Instructions
    1) This step has been removed. Proceed to step 2.
    2) Download 901 -> 902 update and place it on your external SD card. Don't unzip it. Credit: FantomPhlasher @ DroidForums
    Optional Step: If you are using Eclipse 2.1 RC1 now is a good time to update to Eclipse 2.2 Official. Download it onto your SD card now. Credit: Nitroglycerin33 @ EclipseRom.com
    3) Backup any important/critical app data (e.g. sync calendar, export settings in launcher).
    3) Reboot system, and then press MENU to enter safestrap recovery mode (touch button with four squares, to the left of the home button). Green menu = good.
    4) Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup. I don't see the need for backing up the primary system or webtop since they will shortly be updated. Your choice. I'm paranoid so I made two backups, one with and one without those options. I recommend saving the backup to the external SD card so safestrap has room to operate on the internal card in subsequent steps. The backup will be saved in \Safestrap\Backup.
    5) Select "++++Go Back++++" to return to the main recovery menu.
    6) Go to the "safe boot menu".
    7) Select "Toggle Safe System". Wait a little bit.
    8) Select "+++++Go Back+++++", verify that "Safe System is: DISABLED", and then "reboot system now".
    9) Allow stock system to settle if you haven't used it in a while. Make sure to update your apps, especially Superuser. To do this manually, go to the market app, then press the menu key, and go to "My Apps". Update everything. Superuser gave me an error to update, so I uninstalled it then reinstalled.
    10) Shutdown phone.
    11) Hold down BOTH volume buttons, and press the power button. This will boot you into stock recovery.
    12) Select "Recovery" in the menu. (Beware the weird method of navigating the menu. To select Recovery press volume down, then volume up).
    13) At the fancy logo, press BOTH volume buttons.
    14) Go to "Apply Update" then select the 902 Update from step # above. (Navigate up/down with the volume keys and use the power button for enter.) The update will take a while.
    15) Pay attention to progress. Note any error messages carefully If you modified/debloated/icon-changed/whatever your stock system you won't pass this stage. You'll have to try something fancier. Seek help elsewhere if this is you.
    16) Reboot phone and allow stock to boot. Notice safestrap is gone. This will take longer than usual.
    17) Verify system version (Settings -> About Phone).
    18) Use Root Checker Basic from the market to verify you are rooted.
    19) Start the safestrap app (from your list of apps) and press the "Install Recovery" button. This will reinstall safestrap.
    20) Reboot system, and then press MENU to enter safestrap recovery mode (touch button with four squares, to the left of the home button). Green menu = good.
    21) Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup of your stock 902 system. I recommend backing up the webtop, and saving the backup to the external SD card so safestrap has room to operate on the internal card in subsequent steps. The backup will be saved in \Safestrap\Backup.
    22) Go to the "safe boot menu".
    23) Select "Toggle Safe System". Wait a little bit.
    24) Select "+++++Go Back+++++", and verify that "Safe System is: ENABLED".
    25) Select "Wipe cache partition".
    26) Now go to the "Advanced" menu and select "Wipe Dalvik Cache".
    Optional Steps: If you are upgrading to Eclipse 2.2 Official.
    A) Select "+++Go Back+++" to return to the main menu.
    B) Select "Install zip from sdcard". DON'T GO TO "apply update from sdcard".
    C) Select "choose zip from sdcard" and find the ROM .zip file. DON'T GO TO "apply /sdcard/update.zip".
    D) If you are coming from Liberty or Kin3tix, select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" in the main menu. Don't do this if you are coming from Eclipse 2.1 RC1.​
    27) Finally, select "+++Go Back+++" to return to the main recovery menu and select "power off".
    28) Wait for power down to finish, then restart your bionic. Be patient, the first boot takes unusually long.
    29) If your ROM doesn't work, you can try the "Wide Data/Factory Reset" option, or you can install the newest Eclipse, or you can just use stock.

PLEASE CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU
    I assume you are trying to enable the safesystem? Make sure you have sufficient free space on your internal sd card?

Well what I did was uninstall safestrap delete the safestrap folder in my sd and the safestrap folder in internal storage. Installed safestrap again and was able to enable safesystem.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Forever-root was only relevant because, previously, 901 and 902 were not rootable. You had to forever-root an older version (like 893), then upgrade to 901/902. Now, the Motofail method works on any system version, so 43v3r r00t is no longer necessary.

Yeah.

And thanks for including tehRoot in the guide, I didn't expect it to get thousands of downloads.

I see you marked it deprecated, thanks!

If I have enough free time, I'm going to see if I can write up a GUI for all of this, but don't take that as a promise.
    Tuck..Great instructions. Anyone able to root using their laptop? -eye__dea

I rooted mine fine using a laptop with Windows 7 32bit Enterprise and Tehsusenoh's method.