At&t unlimited data throttling ?

Search This thread

jwood55812

Jul 19, 2010
Duluth
Im 33 I have a home and a car which I paid full. So what's your point?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

That you're clearly not a rational 33 year old, because any MORON knows what a terrible idea it is to bail on debts and leave them to collection agencies. I'm skeptical you own your own house and car with that financial attitude...

But seriously, like it's been said before, you signed the agreement, you play by their rules now. I agree it sucks, and as more people move off Unlimited, the top data percentage is going to get smaller and smaller, just not sure what to do about it at this point.

Edit: already signed here, http://www.change.org/petitions/att-stop-throttling-data-speeds-for-top-5-of-users

Last edited:

4ktvs

Sep 3, 2011
1) AT&T Said this about 2gb "limit" :http://www.slashgear.com/att-explains-2gb-throttling-of-unlimited-data-plans-09212904/

2) I think I know why I have been droping data at home on Verzions LTE. I have a pair of WIRED not wireless speakers that Seem like they are picking up the LTE and are making a buzz when on. I will be doing more test to see if I can repeat it over and over. If true then I will be forking over some $. ( FCC DO YOUR JOB YOU LAZY, *************************. well you get it.)

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
2) I think I know why I have been droping data at home on Verzions LTE. I have a pair of WIRED not wireless speakers that Seem like they are picking up the LTE and are making a buzz when on. I will be doing more test to see if I can repeat it over and over. If true then I will be forking over some $. ( FCC DO YOUR JOB YOU LAZY, *************************. well you get it.)

Speaker interference used to be very common when AT&T phones were on 2G mode. Something unique to GSM. Ever since 3G phones was introduced, I've never heard this interference. I guess LTE modulation is very close to GSM. 3G is WCDMA which is close to CDMA than GSM. If that's the case, AT&T LTE phones will do the same (both Verizon and AT&T are using 700Mhz bands).

HarmonyFlame

Jan 5, 2012
Metro Detroit
+1.

Your refusal to pay your bill will not hurt AT&T a bit. On the other hand, AT&T could put a dent on your credit report and will come back bite you when you need your credit the most, like a home loan or auto loan or even sign up a post paid account with another carrier.

AT&T is trying all the tricks to get rid of unlimited data users. Your voluntary leave fits the needs of AT&T perfectly.

Unlimited data was created back in the dark ages where smartphones ran at 100Mhz CPU clock and data speed was around 100kbps or below. And there were only 5 ppl actually paying for it on each market. It was a mistake that they kept it for so many years. AT&T or any other carrier doesn't have the unlimited bandwidth to support such a large customer base all with unlimited and blazing fast smartphones. Something have to go. Would you rather AT&T revoke everyone's unlimited data plan immediately or let you grand fathered in but throttle your speed?

This guy here is absolutely correct.

What people need to keep in mind is that at&t has ALWAYS had it in their data policy to throttle you (I worked in at&t beuc for years). So by you leaving abruptly-- being how bad of an idea that is alone -- you are really only helping them. At&t never really actually advertised it as unlimited either UNTIL they introduced the capped plans anyway. And like another person posted, you may be overreacting since you haven't received notification, which means your issue may be unrelated to throttling. In addition, the top 5% users are indeed based on your market, and if your in a big city, the throttling is more severe. I agree its BS though~

That being said; until jan 2012 have I ever been throttled in all my time at at&t. On average I use 15gbs and got my notification at 10gbs (I live in an less than active at&t market). I don't mind to be throttled because I understand the policy and understand I am a heavy user. Even if I was upset about this I would at least have enough sense to know leaving the company would not solve my issues. Based on the original policy introduced with package, at&t actually had the right to charge you after 5gbs, so it goes without saying that throttling is a better solution.

For you guys who are throttled at 2-3 gbs , I feel for you, but terminating your accounts more than likely does nothing but bring about more troubles. And if your so well off op, why not just buy an international note?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

maxh

May 20, 2006
Austin
I wish the people who throw around the phrase "abusing the network" would take a step back and see what a tool of the carriers that makes them look like. Carriers invented the term for the sole purpose of disguising their greedy, money grab tactics.

A person abusing the network would be someone maliciously damaging or negatively impacting it, such as someone writing a script to constantly download random data just to purposely tie up bandwidth. 99.9% of the people you disparagers are calling abusers are not! They're just users who happen to be heavy users.

The internet has evolved, and with it, many wonderful sites and services. They're there to be used and enjoyed, and mobile networks were created to make them more accessible! There's nothing wrong with using the network as intended. In any population there will be a distribution of usage levels from very heavy to very light, with most averaging in the middle. The very light balance the very heavy. What we're seeing here with the people on grandfathered unlimited plans is the natural usage level, which carriers are trying to restrict and shape into more profit. But if there's no malignant intent, there's no abuse.

The wireless carriers are raking in record profits; they have plenty of cash to build out to suit demand. They simply find it more profitable and easier to abuse their monopolistic power in this thoroughly screwed wireless market by jacking up prices and using anti-competitive measures like long contracts and device exclusivities and non-interoperability to keep customers, rather than improving service. Of course every company pursues profits above all, rightfully so, but in this broken system, the carriers are the abusers, of their customer base!

So please, stop echoing the carriers' misused term of network abuser!

(Btw, I average ~300MB per month, so I'm a pretty light user, but I still stand up for others rights.)

Also when using acronyms for gigabyte and megabyte you do not need to put a "s" to make it plural, it's just GB and MB. Also for transfer rates it's either:

GBPS - Gigabits per second
GBps - Gigabytes per second
MBPS - Megabits per second
MBps - Megabytes per second

Also note that there is a huge difference in bits and bytes.

You got that wrong. the "p", which stands for per, is always lower case. It's the "B" which is either upper or lower case depending on bits or bytes.

b = bit
B = byte

There are 8 bits per byte.

Megabit per second = Mbit/s, Mb/s, or Mbps
Megabyte per second = MB/s or MBps
Giga... = same as Mega but G in place of M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_units

4ktvs

Sep 3, 2011
Speaker interference used to be very common when AT&T phones were on 2G mode. Something unique to GSM. Ever since 3G phones was introduced, I've never heard this interference. I guess LTE modulation is very close to GSM. 3G is WCDMA which is close to CDMA than GSM. If that's the case, AT&T LTE phones will do the same (both Verizon and AT&T are using 700Mhz bands).

I just put my s2 in 2g/gsm and bam it made my Speakers buzz, but I had to put it on top of it to hear anything. This thing with LTE has a 5 or so foot deal+ likely more, but I can't hear it. Well this sucks, now I will need to buy new ones. ( I liked this set too)

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
I just put my s2 in 2g/gsm and bam it made my Speakers buzz, but I had to put it on top of it to hear anything. This thing with LTE has a 5 or so foot deal+ likely more, but I can't hear it. Well this sucks, now I will need to buy new ones. ( I liked this set too)

Typically you will hear it when either a phone call is coming or phone is receiving text. I used to use it to predict when there is a phone call going to come as the phone boost RF power to interact with the towers.

The interference will affect all types of speakers, car speaker, desk phone speaker, computer speaker, TV speaker etc. Buy a new speaker won't solve anything.

maxh

May 20, 2006
Austin
Typically you will hear it when either a phone call is coming or phone is receiving text. I used to use it to predict when there is a phone call going to come as the phone boost RF power to interact with the towers.

The interference will affect all types of speakers, car speaker, desk phone speaker, computer speaker, TV speaker etc. Buy a new speaker won't solve anything.

Better speakers with better shielding will have less interference.

4ktvs

Sep 3, 2011
The interference on AT&T 2g/gsm is not nearly as bad LTE. I had to put the phone like right on it to get any real interference. Well I guess I know now why I have been droping data on LTE.

P.S Is the FCC useless or what for leting them use this band and KNOWING GSM has/had done this.

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
The interference on AT&T 2g/gsm is not nearly as bad LTE. I had to put the phone like right on it to get any real interference. Well I guess I know now why I have been droping data on LTE.

Did you try to make a call to your phone while a few feet away? I'd bet your phone will buzz the speaker as loud as the LTE does. I don't think it has anything to do with your data dropping though. The reason your LTE phone/modem buzz louder is due to the fact that you have a weaker LTE signal at home. In turn, your phone/modem has to boost RF power in order to maintain communication with the tower. The RF emission from your phone/modem is what makes your speaker buzz.

P.S Is the FCC useless or what for leting them use this band and KNOWING GSM has/had done this.

I was wondering the same thing 10 years ago when I got my first AT&T phone. I guess either Nokia bought out the FCC back then (Nokia helped AT&T and T-Mo to setup GSM networks in US) or FCC don't consider speaker buzz an interference.

Last edited:

4ktvs

Sep 3, 2011
Well I would call it an "interference" if it's droping the Data link. I have never droped a call at home even when 4 feet way.( I did drop one in a store when I had tv's all around me.)

I still think, but will to some more test that LTE is hiting the nail on the head and gsm the arm or leg.

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
I have never droped a call at home even when 4 feet way

Verizon LTE phones still use CDMA for voice calls, not LTE. That's two different radio and two different signal strengthes. And we all know verizon CDMA coverage is very good, not so much with LTE. It is so bad that they have to issue a fix tp change the how ICS reporting signal strength on GNexus. ICS reports LTE signal strength instead of CDMA strength as other verizon phones have always been doing. It got so many bad reports from confused users that Verizon decided to change it to report CDMA signal strength instead to hide the fact that its LTE network coverage is not as good as CDMA.

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
Does this really work? What kind of speeds are we talking?

'Phone' APN is for devices with HSPA+. No, you will still get throttled. Anyone tell you otherwise is lying. You don't need go far. Simply browse i777 forum (AT&T SGS2) will review many threads about being throttled.

As for speed, it largely depends on where you are and how many ppl are using the same tower as you. On my current SGS2 (i777) using Phone APN, I got mostly < 1mbps. and a lot of times even 100kbps of speed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We need an Occupy ATT. I am the 5%

Sent from my MB508 using xda premium
    I wish the people who throw around the phrase "abusing the network" would take a step back and see what a tool of the carriers that makes them look like. Carriers invented the term for the sole purpose of disguising their greedy, money grab tactics.

A person abusing the network would be someone maliciously damaging or negatively impacting it, such as someone writing a script to constantly download random data just to purposely tie up bandwidth. 99.9% of the people you disparagers are calling abusers are not! They're just users who happen to be heavy users.

The internet has evolved, and with it, many wonderful sites and services. They're there to be used and enjoyed, and mobile networks were created to make them more accessible! There's nothing wrong with using the network as intended. In any population there will be a distribution of usage levels from very heavy to very light, with most averaging in the middle. The very light balance the very heavy. What we're seeing here with the people on grandfathered unlimited plans is the natural usage level, which carriers are trying to restrict and shape into more profit. But if there's no malignant intent, there's no abuse.

The wireless carriers are raking in record profits; they have plenty of cash to build out to suit demand. They simply find it more profitable and easier to abuse their monopolistic power in this thoroughly screwed wireless market by jacking up prices and using anti-competitive measures like long contracts and device exclusivities and non-interoperability to keep customers, rather than improving service. Of course every company pursues profits above all, rightfully so, but in this broken system, the carriers are the abusers, of their customer base!

So please, stop echoing the carriers' misused term of network abuser!

(Btw, I average ~300MB per month, so I'm a pretty light user, but I still stand up for others rights.)

Also when using acronyms for gigabyte and megabyte you do not need to put a "s" to make it plural, it's just GB and MB. Also for transfer rates it's either:

GBPS - Gigabits per second
    GBps - Gigabytes per second
    MBPS - Megabits per second
    MBps - Megabytes per second

Also note that there is a huge difference in bits and bytes.

You got that wrong. the "p", which stands for per, is always lower case. It's the "B" which is either upper or lower case depending on bits or bytes.

b = bit
    B = byte

There are 8 bits per byte.

Megabit per second = Mbit/s, Mb/s, or Mbps
    Megabyte per second = MB/s or MBps
    Giga... = same as Mega but G in place of M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_units
    If its UNLIMITED the its supposed to be UNLIMITED OK. Not unlimited 2 kbps:)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

If it really bothers you, then switch to the 3gb data plan.

If it bothers you even more, file an official FCC complaint. Many people already have.

We throttle the top 5%. The top 5% varies per market. I regularly pass 10gb and I have had no message on my personal account.

And think about what your other options are.
    -2gb on T-Mobile
    -Limited LTE data on Verizon, same as us. (they throttle too)
    -Sprint - sure you get unlimited. but they have the slowest data out of all the carriers
    You call it greed? Fine.

I call it business. They're all out to make money. It's a pretty simple concept. If you don't like it, you don't HAVE to use their products.

It's insulting to imply that someone you don't know is "sheeple". I try to have a big picture view, not just what benefits me personally.

If anything, your view can be seen as sheeple, since it's shared by the masses. But I won't be the one to say it. You can have your opinion, and I can have mine. I don't see why you came out of your cave to even do this.

That's fine for most businesses, but not wireless carriers. If BMW wants to require you sign a 2 year contract to buy only their gasoline at $12 a gallon in order to purchase one of their cars, no problem! Anybody can start up a car company, and there are many car companies out there, so competition keeps things reasonable.

Wireless spectrum is a limited resource that belongs to the people and is leased to wireless carriers. There is a huge barrier to startup and strict limitations due to the limited spectrum. Unchecked corporate greed is NOT ok here; regulation is needed, and currently our wireless market is in the ****ter, with competition almost non-existant beyond cursory motions for appearance.
    Data throttling...?
    I have unlimited data but I'm not familiar with this term can you explain this to me