This SHOULD work with all 2.3+ roms (that includes ICS). If it doesn't work for you or provides consistently poor results, please post and let's see if we can figure out why
What it does - replaces /system/etc/gps.conf with the modified version that has much more servers and various tweaks. Please note some tweaks made sacrifice accuracy for speed.
Results - I'm able to consistently get locks within 5 sec and ~10m with multiple sats. Even indoors, results are similar.
Many (including non captivate users) have reported much improved results as well.
How to use it:
- Backup your old gps.conf (located in /system/etc) in case you prefer your old configuration. But you can always flash your rom again to get it back as well
- Download the gps fix (Updated with 8 NTP servers) -- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17383148/GPS_mod(8NTP).zip to SD Card
- Reboot into CWM and flash
- Reboot and enjoy a fast, awesome GPS
- NOTE - first lock can take much longer that normal. Don't be surprised if it takes over 1 min. Results should improve from there. Should get ~ 10 sec locks, with multiple satellites.
Still not getting the results you want? Try another modem. KG3 is working great for me. This is a great site that has plenty more CM modems you can try out
UPDATE 4/18 : The GPS mod has been edited so that it now has 8 NTP servers. If you feel the old (classic?) configuration was working great for you, it's still up here
Commentary on screenshots: 1 -- Indoors w/ fix and about ~25 sec (cold start). 2 -- outdoors w/ fix and about ~10 sec (cold start). 3 -- outdoors NO fix and about ~15 seconds (cold start). Indoors with no fix could not be completed as I was not able to get a consistent lock with a cold start.
Non-captivate users -- You will have to edit the gps.conf file yourself in order to provide the most accurate results (since I do not know where you live). Xenova's post has some good instructions you can follow.
also read this post.