Nook tablet won't turn back on!?

Search This thread

DssTrainer

Jun 5, 2008
Chicago
So I used my nook tablet all day yesterday and this morning. I put it down to goto lunch.. came back and noticed my wifi was not on.. I checked settings and it showed "Wifi turning off" and it was grayed out and just stuck.

I've seen this before with other android devices so no biggie. I powered the unit off.

Now it won't turn back on. Holding the power button now for about 20 secs and nothing.
The battery is at like 80% and I even plugged it in to see if it helped but no good.

I did root it at 1.4.0 and used the Block OTA method with titanium backup but nobody else seems to have a problem.

Is there a way to boot in recovery or something ? Perhaps a trip back to B&N will be needed.

Singingdrum

Jul 1, 2011
Ok.. holding vol down + power for around 8 secs got it back on. Weird
I had a similar problem. I couldn't get the tablet to turn on. I discovered in a Kindle Fire forum that you could get the Fire to start when stuck in the off position by holding down the power button for 20 seconds. I tried that with my Nook and it started right up.

kcwalk

Feb 13, 2012
Thank! That worked! I was having the same issue. Said Wifi was turning off and all went blank and couldn't reboot. You gave me the answer.

Cheers.

G

Gwindli

I have had the wifi "turning off" issue. Rather than turn off the nook, I used the menu that you get with a long press of the power button when you install either ROM manager or titanium backup, can't remember which. It has rebooted every time without issue.

C64assembly

Feb 6, 2012
The Wifi issue is a known problem. You can set the wifi to stay awake when on the charger and this problem wont happen. Add the power widget so that you can turn the wifi off when not connectwd to the charger. This combo fixes the wifi issue. When your Nook experiences a kernel error it will appear as if it is off but if you hold it at angle, you will notice backlight is on. Just hold nook button and power and it will turn off...then power to reboot rom.

ckevinwelch

Feb 17, 2011
The Wifi issue is a known problem. You can set the wifi to stay awake when on the charger and this problem wont happen. Add the power widget so that you can turn the wifi off when not connectwd to the charger. This combo fixes the wifi issue. When your Nook experiences a kernel error it will appear as if it is off but if you hold it at angle, you will notice backlight is on. Just hold nook button and power and it will turn off...then power to reboot rom.

Actually, it's happened to me twice while I had WiFi set to never sleep when charging.

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
Moved To Q&A

We now have a Q&A section. Please post all questions there​

atliy

Jan 22, 2011
I rooted my Nook Tablet and it worked fine yesterday. Now it won't turn on and isn't recognized by my PC. I hear the windows alert when a usb device is connected but when I try to do anything via adb I always get 'error: device not found'.

I tried doing adb get-state and all I got was 'unknown'

I tried booting into recovery via holding the power button + n for various amounts of time, but nothing happened.

Does anyone have any ideas? It was working fine yesterday and I haven't changed anything on it since I used it last.

Know-Fear

Jan 9, 2010
Hold the power button down for about 10 seconds. let it sit for a minute, then hold the power button for another 5 seconds or so and release. It should boot up. (assuming your battery is charged)

tonytronic

Dec 1, 2011
Hold the power button down for about 10 seconds. let it sit for a minute, then hold the power button for another 5 seconds or so and release. It should boot up. (assuming your battery is charged)

I had to do a reset (power button + Home) twice so far. Each time it happened after I left the tablet to recharge overnight. It did not turn on as it normally does when you unplug the charger.

I must admit that the (power button + Home) reset does not seem to be cut & dry. The routine quoted above worked the first time. The second time, I tried it several times then finally I tried the pwr button by itself and it went on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok.. holding vol down + power for around 8 secs got it back on. Weird