[ROM][03/06/2011]FlashBack21 v2 -Return to Factory Stock - March 2011 OTA

Search This thread

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
Alright, so I ran the MTD_Inspect and it only shows two bad blocks, one in system and one in misc. I then flashed xtrSense, which installed fine, and then tried to flash Flashback and got that same error again.

If I can't unroot it, is there any chance I can just flash a vanilla sense rom and get away with returning it?

I think the problem you are experiencing is due to the bad block in the misc partition.

The issue is that while basic blocks are only 2k+ in size, blocks are erased in 128 kb "eraseblock" groups. And unfortunately, the misc partition is only 640 kb - which means that single bad block takes out 20% of your entire "misc" partition.

So - because your phone has this problem, all of the FlashBack ROMs will fail at the same step.

You should be able to flash the "March OTA" ROM, which is completely stock - but it won't restore the factory recovery. That latter step can be performed manually using flash_image with Amon_RA booted, but you need to be familiar with using ADB.

bftb0

taap

Aug 8, 2010
Alright, so I ran the MTD_Inspect and it only shows two bad blocks, one in system and one in misc. I then flashed xtrSense, which installed fine, and then tried to flash Flashback and got that same error again.

If I can't unroot it, is there any chance I can just flash a vanilla sense rom and get away with returning it?

I've returned 3 Eris' and they all still had root. One of them even had a CM6 rom still on it. Never had any problems.

Sent from my ERIS ADR6200 using Tapatalk

snortman

Feb 25, 2011
I know this thread hasn't been updated since April, but would someone mind uploading the flashback rom to a location other than multiupload? I need to download it for troubleshooting an issue with my Eris with tech support, but can't hit multiupload from work (and my original nand backup is on my home pc).

Thanks.

EDIT - Nevermind, I downloaded it when I got home. Wound up not needing it during the day.

Last edited:

Metal_Bob

Mar 28, 2011
Old Post BUT... Selling my wife's Eris tomorrow. Stock Flash + SD Format + Factory Hard Reset worked perfect! Phone is now ready to sell safely.

Thanks for the tutorial/zips :)

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
bump.

Re-hosted the files following the megaupload/multiupload locker site fiasco. Props to XDA user doogald for hosting them.

bftb0

Reactions: sk842018

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]FlashBack21 v2 - Return to Factory 2.1 Stock - March 2011 OTA[/SIZE]

Note1: This ROM supersedes the (former) "FlashBack15" ROM as of 2010/10/20. This step was taken because it appears that VZW/Google are no longer providing Cupcake->Eclair OTA downloads for the Eris.

Note2: The V2 FlashBack21 ROM installs the stock HTC software corresponding to the March 2011 OTA version V2.41.605.6. The V1 FlashBack21 ROM installs the stock HTC software corresponding to the July 2010 OTA - version V2.37.605.4

[SIZE=+2]Last Updated: March 06 2011[/SIZE]

This ROM is intended for reverting a rooted Eris with a custom recovery to the HTC stock software: March 2011 2.1 OTA ROM - v 2.41.605.6. There are many other ways to do this; but this way uses Amon_RA for the installation as a convenience for less experienced rooters. (And only Amon_RA v1.6.2 - the installer will refuse to work with any other recovery.)

Two versions are provided: one which flashes the radio firmware version 2.42.01.04.27, and one which does not flash the radio; other than this difference, they are identical. (The same radio firmware - v2.42.01.04.27 - was used in both the July 2010 & March 2011 OTA releases.) Choose the ROM which best fits your needs. If you already have the most recent radio installed (2.42.01.04.27), there is no need to reflash the radio.

File name: "FlashBack21_v2.zip" (download link and md5 sigs below).
    File name: "FlashBack21_v2_noRadioFlash.zip" (download link and md5 sigs below).

Derived from the Eris "March 2011 OTA" (2.41.605.6) release, this ROM repackages the last official 2.1 ("Eclair") release for the Eris from HTC/VZW so that it can be installed with Amon_RA recovery - you flash it just like any other dev ROM. There are essentially no customizations, and no built-in root or extra tools; it is 99.99% stock, with the following difference:

- This ROM also performs jcase's "Flash Any RUU" patch to the misc partition during the flashing process.

This step is performed so that the Eris responds well to flashing operations involving the use of any PB00IMG.zip file (via HBOOT), or application of any RUU utility for the Eris. So, even though this is an "unrooting" ROM, pains are taken to make sure that it is easy as possible to re-root or manipulate with existing methods.

This ROM does not touch the bootloader (or "Hboot" or "IPL/SPL"). If you want to install a different bootloader, do it first before applying this ROM.

[SIZE=+1]Please Note: THE RECOVERY BOOT PARTITION IS REPLACED BY THE MATCHING VERSION OF THE STOCK RECOVERY PARTITION (V2: March 2011 OTA; V1: July 2010 OTA) in this ROM. This means that you will need to re-root your phone if you use this ROM, should you later decide that you want to restore a different ROM.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Please Note 2: ONE OF THESE ROMs FLASHES A RADIO. This is different than nearly 99% of all Eris dev ROMs. You will see some activity at the conclusion of your Amon_RA recovery session as a result of this - if you choose to use the ROM version that flashes the radio firmware.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]Instructions[/SIZE]

- Read this whole post all the way through before you begin
    - Charge your phone completely
    - Download the .zip file you need to the top-most folder of your SD card
    - Verify the length and/or MD5 checksums (of the copy of the ROM file on the SD card)
    - Boot into the Amon_RA recovery, Wipe, and then flash the FlashBack21 ROM (of your choosing)

IF YOU ARE FLASHING THE RADIO:
    - When flashing is complete, you will see the message at the bottom of the screen:
    "Reboot via vol-up+vol-down or menu to complete installation"
    - Make sure to exit Amon_RA after the ROM has finished flashing by selecting the "Reboot now" top-level menu item. Don't do something stupid like pulling the battery.
    - You will see two successive splash screens that you do not normally see when using Amon_RA - these indicate that the factory recovery boot is performing the radio flashing operation. Do not interrupt - the phone will reboot on it is own when this step completes.

[SIZE=+2]Acknowledgments[/SIZE]

- Amon_RA for his recovery boot
    - jcase for his disclosure to the Eris community of the misc partition "main version number" patch
    - hundreds of others on XDA and AF too numerous to mention
    - doogald for re-hosting the ROMs (2/15/2012)

[SIZE=+2]Downloads - V2 - March 2011 OTA - v 2.41.605.6[/SIZE]
    (Thanks to XDA user doogald for hosting these downloads!)

[SIZE=+1]Flashes Radio !!!![/SIZE]
    FlashBack21_v2.zip ( 109,245,758 Bytes; MD5: 3c770473e18e539afe5d090b4a5462ca )

[SIZE=+1]Same ROM, but does NOT flash Radio[/SIZE]
    FlashBack21_v2_noRadioFlash.zip ( 102,181,672 Bytes; MD5: d0137efb10dd714cf3770e5ff7b842f5 )

[SIZE=+2]Downloads - V1 - July 2010 OTA - v 2.37.605.4[/SIZE]
    (Thanks to XDA user doogald for hosting these downloads!)

[SIZE=+1]Flashes Radio !!!![/SIZE]
    FlashBack21_v1.zip ( 108,784,952 Bytes; MD5: 416a92afe52d87beccbef29380a2009f )

[SIZE=+1]Same ROM, but does NOT flash Radio[/SIZE]
    FlashBack21_v1_noRadioFlash.zip ( 108,784,967 Bytes; MD5: 44bff966290bb02c0b70ae06ef95d719 )

(Note that both V1 ROM files include the radio image, even though the latter does not flash this firmware - that is why the file sizes are nearly identical.)

OBSOLETE & DEPRECATED - Flashback15_v1
    Thanks to XDA user doogald for hosting this download!

- This is here for historical purposes only.
    - Note this now ONLY provides a Cupcake (Android 1.5) Factory roll-back for the Eris, as VZW/Google are no longer providing OTAs for the Eris.
    - Do not use unless you specifically want a stock "Cupcake" (Android 1.5) Eris
    - Note this ROM also UNROOTS YOUR PHONE by replacing the custom recovery with the stock recovery

FlashBack15_v1.zip ( 94,011,341 Bytes; MD5: e5e7ab9f3bc3314f28543fd88ae296fd )

bftb0
    V2 Version = March 2011 OTA v 2.41.605.6 is up.

Bump.

Updated to new version (V2) which reverts to HTC stock software = the March 2011 OTA (v 2.41.605.6)
    See the OP.

Enjoy.

bftb0

PS Anybody have any interest in a pure 2.41.605.6 stock ROM that does not flash a recovery? Sort of a "flashable stock ROM that doesn't bork your recovery". (I have it ready, but really can't think of an interesting name for it). Think of it as the Plainest Jane possible - not even root is included. HomelyJane 2.0?
    This will make it easier when i get my 6th..

Just received my 5th...lol

Heard as stock runs low for replacements, in certain areas, they are receiving a Droid 2... Can anyone confirm????

I can confirm.... sorta. My wife was on her third Eris and they replaced it with a Droid 1. Good luck

Sent from my Kaos Froyo Eris
    Thanks for this. I'm clear on flashing the rom ( I will attempt it like other roms using Amon). I could use a little bit more help in removing Amon after I flash this. Which bootloader is "stock"...1.47 or 1.49? Any links to them and how to use "fastboot" to replace it? Thanks, returning my eris due to misbehaving trackball.

FlashBack21 replaces Amon_RA with the stock recovery - that is clearly mentioned in the first post of this thread in [SIZE=+2]HUGE RED[/SIZE] text.

FlashBack21 does not touch the bootloader precisely because that is the single most dangerous thing you can do to the phone.

VZW shipped refurbed Erii with 1.49.0000 S-ON (and possibly even new phones), so having any S-ON bootloader is probably not going to set off any alarms. Having the engineering bootloader on your phone (1.49.2000 S-OFF) might set off an alarm, but there have been several to many reports of people that turned in rooted phones with no effort to clean them up, without any problems.

VZW is not going to "go all CSI" on your phone - probably they only check for visible or water damage (a visual check).

If you want to pursue this further, I will give you a thumbnail sketch of how it is done, but will not provide exact instructions - someone will screw it up and come crying here.

(Note these instructions only apply to the case where you have the 1.49.2000 S-OFF bootloader installed - you can't do any flashing with fastboot with a S-ON bootloader on your phone.)

- Obtain a copy of either the MR1 or MR2 PB00IMG.ZIP ROM file (not a Leak V1-3 ROM)

- Extract the hboot_7501a_1.47.0000_091023.nb0 file from the PB00IMG.ZIP

- Have a look at this XDA post about HTC Eris ROM checksums, and then verify that the file you have extracted, namely "hboot_7501a_1.47.0000_091023.nb0" has the MD5 checksum

38899da4e5e002e3be22900f5f4eb6f7 hboot_7501a_1.47.0000_091023.nb0

- Verify the MD5 checksum a 2nd time.
    - Verify the MD5 checksum a 3rd time. (Get the picture? It is critically important!)

- Install the fastboot tool to your PC/Mac/Linux box and verify that it can communicate with your phone in fastboot mode by using the command "fastboot devices"

- Turn your phone off, and charge it to 100%

- Connect your phone via USB to your computer and boot it into fastboot mode (Send+End)

- Verify that fastboot can communicate with the phone (again, "fastboot devices").

- Hold your breath and

fastboot flash hboot hboot_7501a_1.47.0000_091023.nb0

(No, I won't tell you how to deal with command lines or install drivers to your PC - keep that crap out of this thread).

bftb0
    bump.

Re-hosted the files following the megaupload/multiupload locker site fiasco. Props to XDA user doogald for hosting them.

bftb0