[HOWTO] Use DFT HSPL with Verizon Trophy (SparkW only!) [Revised 2-NOV-2012]

Search This thread

TheXev

Aug 12, 2010
Corry PA
This guide was last revised on: [2-NOV-2012]

I have decided to write a HOW TO guide on using [DFT] HSPL / RSPL for HTC WP7 First Generation with HTC Trophy 7 for Verizon Wireless (codename SparkW). Hopefully this will make life easier and answer any of your questions you may have along the way.

If you are a complete newb and worried that this will be too complicated, I will make the point that this is one of the easiest HSPL unlocks I have ever performed!

THIS GUIDE SHOULD NOT BE USED WITH non-VERIZON HTC TROPHY's! ROMS ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE BETWEEN SPARK (all non-Verizon HTC Trophy's) AND SPARK_W (Verizon HTC Trophy 7) MODELS!

To start off, I would like to answer some common questions people will have. I recommend reading all of them:

Q. Are you a member of DFT?

A. No, I am just a swell guy who felt like writing a guide to help people. Donate to DFT for making HSLP, not me!

Q. Will I be able to keep all of my information on my phone after installing HSPL? [Last revised 3-14-2012]

A. Most likely no, but there is a way if you REALLY want to try it. If your SPL is a version other then 0.88, 1.00, 1.03, then yes, you can keep your information.

If you have installed Verizon's official updates via Zune, you will be running 7720 Mango or newer on your phone. This also means that the SPL will have been updated to 2.xx MNG series and you will have to clean wipe your phone. You may be able to use backup programs to keep your information (currently researching).

If you REALLY want to downgrade SPL without flashing a rom and losing all the data on your phone, I have uncovered a method of doing so. I do not recommend this method to beginners. It requires building a GoldCard flashing setup and is extremely complicated and not guaranteed to work!

If the following doesn't make sense, then you shouldn't attempt it! It is my educated opinion that this is far too much work to keep a rom you will eventually flash over!!

Make a GoldCard setup, and name the rom image I use in this thread to SPAWIMG.nhb. Let the first part of the recovery flashing take place (SPL is the first part), then when your SparkW says "Checking Image," unplug USB from it to prevent from flashing the OS. Reset phone to normal bootloader mode and the SPL should be 1.03. Perform HSPL and your old rom should load fine when it is finished.

With the new newb friendly way of making a GoldCard, I am now willing to help people GoldCard their Spark_W's since it isn't this giant pain in the butt anymore.
[Last revised 5-13-2012]

Q. Will DFT or anyone else be making roms for Verizon Trophy (SparkW)? [Last revised 11-02-2012]

A. DFT, ansar, sianto1997, and myself have released roms for Spark_W. Check the Trophy Development forum for more details.

Q. Will I be able to load/deploy apps (also known as Chevron unlock) that require "Interop" after installing HSPL? [Last revised 7-10-2012]

A. No. HSPL only allows for flashing of custom roms. You need to flash a custom rom with Interop unlock already installed.

Q. Will I be able to return to my stock software to send my phone in for warranty work? [Last revised 5-13-2012]

A. Yes! DFT's unlocker tool will allow you to return to OSPL (Original SPL). However, for some reason if you attempt to upgrade your rom using Zune update, you may end up with a half bricked bootloader. Please read the section at the end of my guide on returning to stock for more information!

Q. Can I accidentally flash a Spark/GSM Trophy rom to my phone? [Last revised 2-21-2012]

A. Hopefully no. DFT has changed the device id of the SparkW from PC40200 to SPAW1000 to avoid this. Custom rom designers must change their device ID to SPAW1000 for the rom to flash to the phone after installing DFT's HSPL. Attempting to flash a Spark/GSM rom (or even a stock rom) should result in an hardware ID mismatch, and the flash will be aborted.

Q. Will installing a custom rom or flashing a new rom remove my programming information? Will I need to reprogram via *228? [Last revised 11-02-2012]

A. Programming information should be retained. The only exception I can think of is if you download one of the Verizon Trophy demo roms that was released. I recommend using "RUU_Spark_W_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.04.605.02_Radio_NV_0215_NV58008_RELEASE" to return to stock if necessary.

Q. Is there a rom available that can flash just the SPL like in the WM6.5 days?

A. Currently none that I can find. ansar has a rom that will flash 0.82 of the SPL that way, but this SPL isn't supported by DFT's HSPL software. If someone figures out a way of flashing only the SPL, I will update this guide!

Q. Are HTC Diagnostic drivers required to perform HSPL? [Last revised 7-10-2012]

A. No. If the diagnostic drivers do not install automatically, try this first: Click Start=>Printers and Devices=>Right Click on the big computer and select "Device installation settings"=> Select "Yes, do this automatically."=>Save changes.

Q. Will this allow me to flash WM6.5/Android etc?

A. Not at this time. While its possible that this is a step toward Android on Trophy, at this time it simply isn't possible. DFT is working on an emulator that will allow WM6.1/6.5 to run on Windows Phone 7, which will probably be a better option then duel booting a WM6.5 installation.

Q. If I use this method, won't I be stuck with a really old radio? [Added on 11-2-2012]

A. This originally was case, but now you can flash a newer radio! Please see my SparkW Radio thread for details on flashing different radios! Also, some roms support cab upgrade, so you can install the newest radio via Zune update as well!

Q. What do I need to get started? :) [Last revised 11-2-2012]

A. Only a few things:
1) Go here and download V3 of DFT's HSPL. The other versions do not support the SparkW!

2) If your SPL is 2.01 or above, I recommend "RUU_Spark_W_VERIZON_WWE_1.03.605.22_RS0512_2K_4K_hybrid_new_partition_RELEASE." It can be found here in Football's Trophy rom thread and also at this mediafire mirror. It is the smallest rom you can download. I recommend a different rom for returning to stock (to save time). Please read the last section of my thread for more details.

3) A USB cable. I highly recommend you use the original USB cable that came with your VZW Trophy's charging kit. It is a high quality cable that will help you avoid problems you may experience with a lower quality cable.

Let's get started!
From this point on, the Verizon Trophy will be referred to its device codename of "SparkW."

Make sure your SparkW is fully charged!!! It does not appear to charge in flash mode!!!

Step 1- Checking current SPL version and installing drivers.

Make sure your phone is fully charged. Then unplug from the charger/computer and shut it down by holding the top button, and then sliding the screen locker down to the bottom of the screen (yes, I know there are probably a few people that have never shut off this phone to reboot! ;)

Now, hold the vol-down button and press the top power button again. Keep holding vol-down until you get a tri-color boot screen that will look similar to this:
fullview0001.png

To see pic, click here or disable ad-blocker on this site YOU FOOLS! Help support XDA-Developers!

Once you see a screen like this, plug your SparkW into your computer. Let "HTC USB Sync" drivers install, then on your phone wait for the "Serial" prompt in the white section to change to "USB." You can cancel the installation of Windows Media Device Center if you don't require it. Once the driver is installed, we will check your SPL version.

IF THE DRIVERS FAIL TO INSTALL automatically, try this first: Click Start=>Printers and Devices=>Right Click on the big computer and select "Device installation settings"=> Select "Yes, do this automatically."=>Save changes.

This screen shows 1.03 bootloader:
fullview0003.png

To see pic, click here or disable ad-blocker on this site YOU FOOLS! Help support XDA-Developers!

This screen shows 2.01 bootloader (with the dreaded MNG! We don't want to use this!)
If you have used Zune update your SparkW to Mango or even Tango, you will have this bootloader or one with a higher version number:
fullview0002.png

If you have 0.88, 1.00, or 1.03, skip the rest of this step and go to step 2.

If you have 2.01 or above, you must downgrade your SPL by flashing a different rom. Otherwise, use GoldCard method (read all notes in blue in FAQ above).

Run "RUU_Spark_W_VERIZON_WWE_1.03.605.22_RS0512_2K_4K_hybrid_new_partition_RELEASE" and wait for the files to extract. Once it is done extracting, it should automatically begin flashing the rom. Once the rom is finished flashing, the phone will reboot. You can boot the rom if you want, or hold vol-down again and bring up the tri-color boot screen once more.

If your SPL now shows you have 1.03, you are ready to install HSPL!

Step 2 - Installing DFT Hard SPL

Go here and follow DFT's official instructions. If you had to flash a rom to change the SPL you already know we're running 1.03, so use that version when prompted!

Tip - Run "DFT_RSPL_WP7FG3_LAUNCH.exe" first, then "DFT_HSPL_WP7FG3_INSTALL.exe"

I want to return my phone to stock! [Last updated 8-28-2012]

Okay, first thing to note is, it is not as simple as flashing a stock rom. The device ID of DFT's HSPL has been changed from PC40200 to SPAW1000 to avoid GSM Spark roms from being flashed on the phone by mistake. The process to reflash to stock isn't difficult at all, so just read on!

First, boot your phone into the tri-color boot screen by holding vol-down + the power. Connect your phone to your PC. Then, run "DFT_HSPL_WP7FG3_INSTALL.exe" and select "OSPL" from the drop down. Wait for it to install and you are ready to flash a stock rom!

Flash "RUU_Spark_W_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.04.605.02_Radio_NV_0215_NV58008_RELEASE" to your phone. It can be found in Football's Trophy rom thread!

After doing this, you will have to run the HSPL process from scratch again if you wish to flash custom roms.

You should update your phone via Zune to the latest software. The reason for this is to avoid permanently half-bricking your bootloader. For whatever reason, after installing HSPL and then updating with official driver updates and newer roms (after returning to OSPL), you might end up half-bricking your bootloader. If you run the phone threw all Zune updates, the SPL is flashed multiple times, fixing the problem directly after it occurs.

If for some reason after updating using ANY method and a stock rom, and your bootloader is still half bricked, you MUST use the GoldCard method described here to fix the problem before returning your phone for warranty work!

I hope this guide can help some people out and answer basic questions I have seen in the official DFT thread.

Please make sure to donate to DFT in their official thread to show them how much we appreciate their hard work! :)

Last edited:

TheXev

Aug 12, 2010
Corry PA
Reserved for future use.

I am looking to make this the best guide possible, so if I need to update anything please let me know.

----------------
[Revisions 11-2-2012]
  • Added link to sianto1997's SparkW rom.
  • Various rewording and typo fixes.
  • Cleaned up my recommended rom for returning to stock in ALL sections of guide!
  • Various other changes.
[Revisions 8-28-2012]
  • Updated method for returning to stock. Older rom now has problems updating to stock, but a newer rom is now safe to use because of Tango update being available.
  • Misc details added here and there.
[Revisions 7-10-2012]
  • Removed references to roms not being released, they have been released.
  • Other misc edits.
  • Figured out that pics weren't displaying for some because of Ad-Block Plus via Firefox. XD Disable it on XDA-Developers and help support the site!
[Revisions 5-13-2012]
  • Added info about an easy GoldCard to fix half bricked bootloaders, and warnings about sending in a device that hasn't been fixed in for warranty work.
[Revisions 3-14-2012]
  • Various minor edits and updates.
  • Updated question on saving original rom data. Added info on saving original rom and still doing HSPL using GoldCard. I will not be supporting or explaining this method for SPL downgrade as I not believe it is worth the time and effort.
  • Added question about radios.
[Revisions 3-02-2012]
  • Added note for possible Zune driver requirement.
[Revisions 3-01-2012]
  • Added alternate download link for 1.03 SPL rom.
[Revisions 2-21-2012]
  • Added VZW stock rom name to OSPL flash procedure. This rom can use Verizon's official cab updates. Revising other parts of guide to reflect this.
  • Changed formatting to make guide easier to read.
  • Changed HSPL Device ID to correct number (SPAW1000)
----------------

Rest of this post is reserved.

Last edited:
Reactions: nickmo20

nickmo20

Jul 8, 2010
Thanks for the guide! Microsoft sure has done a lot to go out of their way to put these things on lock-down! Older winmo devices so much easier!

DavidinCT

Jun 2, 2006
Someplace in CT
Thanks for this post, This is really helpfull. Helps me understand the process here.

WTF is with the 2.1 ...MNG thing (of course my phone has it)? Did everyone get this or is this just some phones ?

Riddle me this. Once we have a rom available that will give a Full Unlock (like the freedom rom) and Internet Sharing that was built into Mango working, I'll be all over this.

Before doing anything, I'll make a Zune type backup (one of the 3rd party backups that use Zune's files to do the backup), will the process be to install Mango rom (there is a good mango rom avail for the VZW Trophy) then restore. Or can I just restore from backup ?

Again, nice guide and thanks !

Thanks for the guide! Microsoft sure has done a lot to go out of their way to put these things on lock-down! Older winmo devices so much easier!

No, You just got into it after the devs had a few years with it to find the flaws in it. WP7 is still new. Trust me, we would be in the same boat if WP6.1 just came out.

TheXev

Aug 12, 2010
Corry PA
Thanks for this post, This is really helpfull. Helps me understand the process here.

WTF is with the 2.1 ...MNG thing (of course my phone has it)? Did everyone get this or is this just some phones ?

Riddle me this. Once we have a rom available that will give a Full Unlock (like the freedom rom) and Internet Sharing that was built into Mango working, I'll be all over this.

Before doing anything, I'll make a Zune type backup (one of the 3rd party backups that use Zune's files to do the backup), will the process be to install Mango rom (there is a good mango rom avail for the VZW Trophy) then restore. Or can I just restore from backup ?

I ended up with the 2.01 SPL on my phone by installing "RUU_Spark_W_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.01.605.04_2K_new_partition_RELEASE.exe." This rom was a leaked Mango rom, but more importantly, it helped users out that accidentally installed "RUU_Spark_W_VERIZON_WWE_1.03.605.20_2K_new_partition_RELEASE.exe." That 1.03.605.20 rom was used as a demo, and would turn your phone into one of those demo phones you'd see in the store! For about 4 months my SparkW was an unusable store demo :p 2.01.605.04 made the phone usable again, so there are probably a fair number of people who have it installed. There are now multiple working 1.03.x roms out, and I have yet to figure out if any of them are the original Verizon shipping software (and could be used to restore via a backup).

It's also possible that the 2.01 SPL was installed when Zune updated to Mango 7720. I have yet to perform the update process this way, so I can't confirm it. I think it is likely that if you have Mango installed, you will have the 2.01 SPL and have to wipe the phone. I am tinkering around to see if I can make a flashable 1.03 only SPL update, so we won't lose everything when flashing. AriveC users have it so easy...

I can tell you that I am currently testing DFT's SparkW rom (you can private message mwang and let him know you are interested in testing). It does have Internet Sharing (I am using it right now to post this) and the damn rom is made of epic and win. No NAT support and I can't log-into IRC, but I'll take it over my busted HTC Eris any day right now. The rom is not perfect (my testing shows that ##PST# crashes and doesn't work!), so hopefully they can iron that out before final release (because its pretty much flawless from my testing other then that little hitch).

As for restoring from backup... I honestly have no idea. I have never had any luck with any backup programs, so I couldn't describe a process I would know for a fact would work. :/ I am working on cooking a Verizon rom that can be flashed with HSPL, but it won't have any fancy features (basically, just taking the stock rom and making it flashable via HSPL). Only real difference in the basic Verizon rom I am working on is that I will strip all Spanish support out (that saved almost 30mbs in space vs the original rom).

For now, I am sticking with my recommendation of not bothering with HSPL. Hopefully tomorrow I can cook a proper SPL only image that can be flashed and then we can all keep our data until the awesome Freedom rom hits.

Reactions: DavidinCT

nickmo20

Jul 8, 2010
yeah since everyone seems so close to releasing something, I'll hang on to this phone. I had it for 14 day-trial thing from verizon but since everyone is on the verge of getting internet sharing, and stable ROM releases and such, I'll wait...

once I've 'drank the koolaide' and run some custom ROMs i'll be looking for the programs to start doing my own ROMs.

DavidinCT

Jun 2, 2006
Someplace in CT
As your testing that rom, How's battery life on it ? I remember in the 6.5 days, where one rom where power management was not addressed, you could take a 24 our battery and turn it into a 3 hour battery....

I do like the sound of Epic....Is it a Full unlock (like freedom) that is up to date with 8107 ? Can you take the updates via the cab method on it or do you have to wait for a new rom for new features if released ?

The backup process has worked for me pretty good, the key is to have the same exact Zune version as the Support tools and it wil work flawlessly. I have a few backups from the past to make sure if something screws up I can get back to a point with save games, etc.

I look forward to a full unlock rom that kills the limits of my current phone with a factory rom.

TheXev

Aug 12, 2010
Corry PA
I can't really vouch for the battery life since I live in a fringe region, but honestly, it seems about the same. It is up-to-date with 8107. I am assuming it has full unlock due to the tools that come with it. I haven't had a change to deploy anything that would really require full unlock (I'm too busy testing other stuff and looking for a easier SPL method right now to really test app deployment). Like I said, message the guys if you are interested in testing. Everything is working pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidinCT

TheXev

Aug 12, 2010
Corry PA
I overhalled bits and pieces with revised and updated information. For anyone that hasn't done this (or even those who have), you might want to re-read the revised parts (especially the parts on returning to stock!).

grunge100

Jul 16, 2010
Thanks for the guidance. Very well written, and informative. Does anyone know when a sparkW rom will be available.

TheXev

Aug 12, 2010
Corry PA
I am working on my own rom, but CDMA might be causing some issues with OSBuilder (was writing a post about it in OSBuilder thread when I saw your post in this thread).

DFT has a pre-release rom in the works for SparkW, but you need to private message mwang and let him know you are interested in testing it.

ETA's are more then likely "they will be done when they are done." :) CDMA is new to the WP7 cooking universe, so it will take some time to iron out the kinks.

Reactions: grunge100

ken52787

Aug 22, 2009
Does anyone know where else we can find a download to get back to 1.03? The link for RUU_Spark_W_VERIZON_WWE_1.03.605.22_RS0512_2K_4K_h ybrid_new_partition_RELEASE is for filefactory, and it's demanding that I pay for a premium account before it'll let me download the file.

janko10

Dec 1, 2008
Thanks for putting this guide together. I've been holding onto my launch-day Touch Pro 2 on a wing and a prayer lol.

Maybe I'll finally pickup a trophy once tethering is an option, but prices on Ebay are so flippin high for a year old phone.

sinister1

Feb 28, 2009
Houston
Does anyone know where else we can find a download to get back to 1.03? The link for RUU_Spark_W_VERIZON_WWE_1.03.605.22_RS0512_2K_4K_h ybrid_new_partition_RELEASE is for filefactory, and it's demanding that I pay for a premium account before it'll let me download the file.

I had the same question; TheXev is helping me out on this, I'll let you know. ;)

elmanortega

Aug 31, 2009
perez zeledon
hello guys i have a verizon trophy working on gsm only here, i can help testing on the gsm side of it, let me know, i really need mango latest rom. thanks

TheXev

Aug 12, 2010
Corry PA
Thanks for putting this guide together. I've been holding onto my launch-day Touch Pro 2 on a wing and a prayer lol.

Maybe I'll finally pickup a trophy once tethering is an option, but prices on Ebay are so flippin high for a year old phone.

Tethering is working in pre-release DFT Freedom for Verizon Wireless. I am using it now. :)

I had the same question; TheXev is helping me out on this, I'll let you know. ;)

Yeah, sorry I haven't been able to upload the file yet. Last few days have been hell at home so I will try my best to get it uploaded to mediafire today.

hello guys i have a verizon trophy working on gsm only here, i can help testing on the gsm side of it, let me know, i really need mango latest rom. thanks

You're still running NoDo on your Trophy? Zune update should at least bring you to 7720 (first rev Mango). I recommend testing DFT Freedom though, simply to get full updated plus perks. DFT Freedom is at 8107 currently.

Anyone who wants to test DFT Freedom for Verizon should private message mwang and ask him if you can test.

I am tempted to torrent that Verizon stock rom if mediafire doesn't work out.

elmanortega

Aug 31, 2009
perez zeledon
You're still running NoDo on your Trophy? Zune update should at least bring you to 7720 (first rev Mango). I recommend testing DFT Freedom though, simply to get full updated plus perks. DFT Freedom is at 8107 currently.

Anyone who wants to test DFT Freedom for Verizon should private message mwang and ask him if you can test.

I am tempted to torrent that Verizon stock rom if mediafire doesn't work out.[/QUOTE]

yes i waited cause i wanted to hspl i have mwang rom im gonna flash it now i will report back today in the afternoon.

TheXev

Aug 12, 2010
Corry PA
You need HSPL to install his rom. I'll see if I can sneak over to my buddies house today and upload the original VZW rom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide was last revised on: [2-NOV-2012]

I have decided to write a HOW TO guide on using [DFT] HSPL / RSPL for HTC WP7 First Generation with HTC Trophy 7 for Verizon Wireless (codename SparkW). Hopefully this will make life easier and answer any of your questions you may have along the way.

If you are a complete newb and worried that this will be too complicated, I will make the point that this is one of the easiest HSPL unlocks I have ever performed!

THIS GUIDE SHOULD NOT BE USED WITH non-VERIZON HTC TROPHY's! ROMS ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE BETWEEN SPARK (all non-Verizon HTC Trophy's) AND SPARK_W (Verizon HTC Trophy 7) MODELS!

To start off, I would like to answer some common questions people will have. I recommend reading all of them:

Q. Are you a member of DFT?

A. No, I am just a swell guy who felt like writing a guide to help people. Donate to DFT for making HSLP, not me!

Q. Will I be able to keep all of my information on my phone after installing HSPL? [Last revised 3-14-2012]

A. Most likely no, but there is a way if you REALLY want to try it. If your SPL is a version other then 0.88, 1.00, 1.03, then yes, you can keep your information.

If you have installed Verizon's official updates via Zune, you will be running 7720 Mango or newer on your phone. This also means that the SPL will have been updated to 2.xx MNG series and you will have to clean wipe your phone. You may be able to use backup programs to keep your information (currently researching).

If you REALLY want to downgrade SPL without flashing a rom and losing all the data on your phone, I have uncovered a method of doing so. I do not recommend this method to beginners. It requires building a GoldCard flashing setup and is extremely complicated and not guaranteed to work!

If the following doesn't make sense, then you shouldn't attempt it! It is my educated opinion that this is far too much work to keep a rom you will eventually flash over!!

Make a GoldCard setup, and name the rom image I use in this thread to SPAWIMG.nhb. Let the first part of the recovery flashing take place (SPL is the first part), then when your SparkW says "Checking Image," unplug USB from it to prevent from flashing the OS. Reset phone to normal bootloader mode and the SPL should be 1.03. Perform HSPL and your old rom should load fine when it is finished.

With the new newb friendly way of making a GoldCard, I am now willing to help people GoldCard their Spark_W's since it isn't this giant pain in the butt anymore.
    [Last revised 5-13-2012]

Q. Will DFT or anyone else be making roms for Verizon Trophy (SparkW)? [Last revised 11-02-2012]

A. DFT, ansar, sianto1997, and myself have released roms for Spark_W. Check the Trophy Development forum for more details.

Q. Will I be able to load/deploy apps (also known as Chevron unlock) that require "Interop" after installing HSPL? [Last revised 7-10-2012]

A. No. HSPL only allows for flashing of custom roms. You need to flash a custom rom with Interop unlock already installed.

Q. Will I be able to return to my stock software to send my phone in for warranty work? [Last revised 5-13-2012]

A. Yes! DFT's unlocker tool will allow you to return to OSPL (Original SPL). However, for some reason if you attempt to upgrade your rom using Zune update, you may end up with a half bricked bootloader. Please read the section at the end of my guide on returning to stock for more information!

Q. Can I accidentally flash a Spark/GSM Trophy rom to my phone? [Last revised 2-21-2012]

A. Hopefully no. DFT has changed the device id of the SparkW from PC40200 to SPAW1000 to avoid this. Custom rom designers must change their device ID to SPAW1000 for the rom to flash to the phone after installing DFT's HSPL. Attempting to flash a Spark/GSM rom (or even a stock rom) should result in an hardware ID mismatch, and the flash will be aborted.

Q. Will installing a custom rom or flashing a new rom remove my programming information? Will I need to reprogram via *228? [Last revised 11-02-2012]

A. Programming information should be retained. The only exception I can think of is if you download one of the Verizon Trophy demo roms that was released. I recommend using "RUU_Spark_W_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.04.605.02_Radio_NV_0215_NV58008_RELEASE" to return to stock if necessary.

Q. Is there a rom available that can flash just the SPL like in the WM6.5 days?

A. Currently none that I can find. ansar has a rom that will flash 0.82 of the SPL that way, but this SPL isn't supported by DFT's HSPL software. If someone figures out a way of flashing only the SPL, I will update this guide!

Q. Are HTC Diagnostic drivers required to perform HSPL? [Last revised 7-10-2012]

A. No. If the diagnostic drivers do not install automatically, try this first: Click Start=>Printers and Devices=>Right Click on the big computer and select "Device installation settings"=> Select "Yes, do this automatically."=>Save changes.

Q. Will this allow me to flash WM6.5/Android etc?

A. Not at this time. While its possible that this is a step toward Android on Trophy, at this time it simply isn't possible. DFT is working on an emulator that will allow WM6.1/6.5 to run on Windows Phone 7, which will probably be a better option then duel booting a WM6.5 installation.

Q. If I use this method, won't I be stuck with a really old radio? [Added on 11-2-2012]

A. This originally was case, but now you can flash a newer radio! Please see my SparkW Radio thread for details on flashing different radios! Also, some roms support cab upgrade, so you can install the newest radio via Zune update as well!

Q. What do I need to get started? :) [Last revised 11-2-2012]

A. Only a few things:
    1) Go here and download V3 of DFT's HSPL. The other versions do not support the SparkW!

2) If your SPL is 2.01 or above, I recommend "RUU_Spark_W_VERIZON_WWE_1.03.605.22_RS0512_2K_4K_hybrid_new_partition_RELEASE." It can be found here in Football's Trophy rom thread and also at this mediafire mirror. It is the smallest rom you can download. I recommend a different rom for returning to stock (to save time). Please read the last section of my thread for more details.

3) A USB cable. I highly recommend you use the original USB cable that came with your VZW Trophy's charging kit. It is a high quality cable that will help you avoid problems you may experience with a lower quality cable.

Let's get started!
    From this point on, the Verizon Trophy will be referred to its device codename of "SparkW."

Make sure your SparkW is fully charged!!! It does not appear to charge in flash mode!!!

Step 1- Checking current SPL version and installing drivers.

Make sure your phone is fully charged. Then unplug from the charger/computer and shut it down by holding the top button, and then sliding the screen locker down to the bottom of the screen (yes, I know there are probably a few people that have never shut off this phone to reboot! ;)

Now, hold the vol-down button and press the top power button again. Keep holding vol-down until you get a tri-color boot screen that will look similar to this:
    fullview0001.png

Once you see a screen like this, plug your SparkW into your computer. Let "HTC USB Sync" drivers install, then on your phone wait for the "Serial" prompt in the white section to change to "USB." You can cancel the installation of Windows Media Device Center if you don't require it. Once the driver is installed, we will check your SPL version.

IF THE DRIVERS FAIL TO INSTALL automatically, try this first: Click Start=>Printers and Devices=>Right Click on the big computer and select "Device installation settings"=> Select "Yes, do this automatically."=>Save changes.

This screen shows 1.03 bootloader:
    fullview0003.png

This screen shows 2.01 bootloader (with the dreaded MNG! We don't want to use this!)
    If you have used Zune update your SparkW to Mango or even Tango, you will have this bootloader or one with a higher version number:
    fullview0002.png

If you have 0.88, 1.00, or 1.03, skip the rest of this step and go to step 2.

If you have 2.01 or above, you must downgrade your SPL by flashing a different rom. Otherwise, use GoldCard method (read all notes in blue in FAQ above).

Run "RUU_Spark_W_VERIZON_WWE_1.03.605.22_RS0512_2K_4K_hybrid_new_partition_RELEASE" and wait for the files to extract. Once it is done extracting, it should automatically begin flashing the rom. Once the rom is finished flashing, the phone will reboot. You can boot the rom if you want, or hold vol-down again and bring up the tri-color boot screen once more.

If your SPL now shows you have 1.03, you are ready to install HSPL!

Step 2 - Installing DFT Hard SPL

Go here and follow DFT's official instructions. If you had to flash a rom to change the SPL you already know we're running 1.03, so use that version when prompted!

Tip - Run "DFT_RSPL_WP7FG3_LAUNCH.exe" first, then "DFT_HSPL_WP7FG3_INSTALL.exe"

I want to return my phone to stock! [Last updated 8-28-2012]

Okay, first thing to note is, it is not as simple as flashing a stock rom. The device ID of DFT's HSPL has been changed from PC40200 to SPAW1000 to avoid GSM Spark roms from being flashed on the phone by mistake. The process to reflash to stock isn't difficult at all, so just read on!

First, boot your phone into the tri-color boot screen by holding vol-down + the power. Connect your phone to your PC. Then, run "DFT_HSPL_WP7FG3_INSTALL.exe" and select "OSPL" from the drop down. Wait for it to install and you are ready to flash a stock rom!

Flash "RUU_Spark_W_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.04.605.02_Radio_NV_0215_NV58008_RELEASE" to your phone. It can be found in Football's Trophy rom thread!

After doing this, you will have to run the HSPL process from scratch again if you wish to flash custom roms.

You should update your phone via Zune to the latest software. The reason for this is to avoid permanently half-bricking your bootloader. For whatever reason, after installing HSPL and then updating with official driver updates and newer roms (after returning to OSPL), you might end up half-bricking your bootloader. If you run the phone threw all Zune updates, the SPL is flashed multiple times, fixing the problem directly after it occurs.

If for some reason after updating using ANY method and a stock rom, and your bootloader is still half bricked, you MUST use the GoldCard method described here to fix the problem before returning your phone for warranty work!

I hope this guide can help some people out and answer basic questions I have seen in the official DFT thread.

Please make sure to donate to DFT in their official thread to show them how much we appreciate their hard work! :)
    Reserved for future use.

I am looking to make this the best guide possible, so if I need to update anything please let me know.

----------------
    [Revisions 11-2-2012]
    • Added link to sianto1997's SparkW rom.
    • Various rewording and typo fixes.
    • Cleaned up my recommended rom for returning to stock in ALL sections of guide!
    • Various other changes.
    [Revisions 8-28-2012]
    • Updated method for returning to stock. Older rom now has problems updating to stock, but a newer rom is now safe to use because of Tango update being available.
    • Misc details added here and there.
    [Revisions 7-10-2012]
    • Removed references to roms not being released, they have been released.
    • Other misc edits.
    • Figured out that pics weren't displaying for some because of Ad-Block Plus via Firefox. XD Disable it on XDA-Developers and help support the site!
    [Revisions 5-13-2012]
    • Added info about an easy GoldCard to fix half bricked bootloaders, and warnings about sending in a device that hasn't been fixed in for warranty work.
    [Revisions 3-14-2012]
    • Various minor edits and updates.
    • Updated question on saving original rom data. Added info on saving original rom and still doing HSPL using GoldCard. I will not be supporting or explaining this method for SPL downgrade as I not believe it is worth the time and effort.
    • Added question about radios.
    [Revisions 3-02-2012]
    • Added note for possible Zune driver requirement.
    [Revisions 3-01-2012]
    • Added alternate download link for 1.03 SPL rom.
    [Revisions 2-21-2012]
    • Added VZW stock rom name to OSPL flash procedure. This rom can use Verizon's official cab updates. Revising other parts of guide to reflect this.
    • Changed formatting to make guide easier to read.
    • Changed HSPL Device ID to correct number (SPAW1000)
    ----------------

Rest of this post is reserved.

I ended up with the 2.01 SPL on my phone by installing "RUU_Spark_W_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.01.605.04_2K_new_partition_RELEASE.exe." This rom was a leaked Mango rom, but more importantly, it helped users out that accidentally installed "RUU_Spark_W_VERIZON_WWE_1.03.605.20_2K_new_partition_RELEASE.exe." That 1.03.605.20 rom was used as a demo, and would turn your phone into one of those demo phones you'd see in the store! For about 4 months my SparkW was an unusable store demo :p 2.01.605.04 made the phone usable again, so there are probably a fair number of people who have it installed. There are now multiple working 1.03.x roms out, and I have yet to figure out if any of them are the original Verizon shipping software (and could be used to restore via a backup).

It's also possible that the 2.01 SPL was installed when Zune updated to Mango 7720. I have yet to perform the update process this way, so I can't confirm it. I think it is likely that if you have Mango installed, you will have the 2.01 SPL and have to wipe the phone. I am tinkering around to see if I can make a flashable 1.03 only SPL update, so we won't lose everything when flashing. AriveC users have it so easy...

I can tell you that I am currently testing DFT's SparkW rom (you can private message mwang and let him know you are interested in testing). It does have Internet Sharing (I am using it right now to post this) and the damn rom is made of epic and win. No NAT support and I can't log-into IRC, but I'll take it over my busted HTC Eris any day right now. The rom is not perfect (my testing shows that ##PST# crashes and doesn't work!), so hopefully they can iron that out before final release (because its pretty much flawless from my testing other then that little hitch).

As for restoring from backup... I honestly have no idea. I have never had any luck with any backup programs, so I couldn't describe a process I would know for a fact would work. :/ I am working on cooking a Verizon rom that can be flashed with HSPL, but it won't have any fancy features (basically, just taking the stock rom and making it flashable via HSPL). Only real difference in the basic Verizon rom I am working on is that I will strip all Spanish support out (that saved almost 30mbs in space vs the original rom).

For now, I am sticking with my recommendation of not bothering with HSPL. Hopefully tomorrow I can cook a proper SPL only image that can be flashed and then we can all keep our data until the awesome Freedom rom hits.
    I can't really vouch for the battery life since I live in a fringe region, but honestly, it seems about the same. It is up-to-date with 8107. I am assuming it has full unlock due to the tools that come with it. I haven't had a change to deploy anything that would really require full unlock (I'm too busy testing other stuff and looking for a easier SPL method right now to really test app deployment). Like I said, message the guys if you are interested in testing. Everything is working pretty good.
    I am working on my own rom, but CDMA might be causing some issues with OSBuilder (was writing a post about it in OSBuilder thread when I saw your post in this thread).

DFT has a pre-release rom in the works for SparkW, but you need to private message mwang and let him know you are interested in testing it.

ETA's are more then likely "they will be done when they are done." :) CDMA is new to the WP7 cooking universe, so it will take some time to iron out the kinks.