Google Android and Linux for KAISER!!

Search This thread

riano

Jun 3, 2008
I've done a bit more of testing today and an quite statisfied with the stability so far.. yes, Android reboots a fair bit if it runs into an issue but seriously, if that's all.. it boots twice as fast as wm6. I'd love to get the touchpad fixed and radio working.. I tried today, it doesn't work yet ;)

I'd actually like to see if we could stuff a betterbox or so into the system, allowing us to do at least some basic tasks on the background of the system.

To clarify the SD thing.. By using Haret Android gets pushed into your active memory. Regardless if it's stored on the SD card or internal memory of your phone, they both end up in the same spot. By having it stored on your SD card it will not by default mount your SD card.. it doesn't know it's there, for now.

Running haret and android from your internal memory might give better results due to the reading speed of the memory, I'd venture to guess that the internal memory is just a lot faster than reading from a SD card, thus creating less issues when it's dumping android into your RAM.

xmoo

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2006
Eindhoven
www.Mohammad.Moghtader.net
I actually haven't had that much more of an issue booting from the SD over booting from the device itself. It doesn't seem to crash any more than the latter and it boots fine. I am using the dutty test rom and a 4gb Sandisk MicroSDHC, Beta haret, newest zimage, and the initrd from the vogue page (with the sms app, world clock, etc)

It boots up all the time cause ytou have the test rom. I don't know what dutty did. But the deviece get known as a MSM7500 in HaReT. And HaReT fully works on MSM7500 devieces.

AstainHellbring

Jan 22, 2007
SLC
I've done a bit more of testing today and an quite statisfied with the stability so far.. yes, Android reboots a fair bit if it runs into an issue but seriously, if that's all.. it boots twice as fast as wm6. I'd love to get the touchpad fixed and radio working.. I tried today, it doesn't work yet ;)

I'd actually like to see if we could stuff a betterbox or so into the system, allowing us to do at least some basic tasks on the background of the system.

To clarify the SD thing.. By using Haret Android gets pushed into your active memory. Regardless if it's stored on the SD card or internal memory of your phone, they both end up in the same spot. By having it stored on your SD card it will not by default mount your SD card.. it doesn't know it's there, for now.

Running haret and android from your internal memory might give better results due to the reading speed of the memory, I'd venture to guess that the internal memory is just a lot faster than reading from a SD card, thus creating less issues when it's dumping android into your RAM.

You don't get what I'm saying if you are not using an initrd it will not be loading everything into memory its the initrd thats causing everything to go into memory. The initrd is your filesystem so if you have an on card filesystem it doesn't need to load all this into ram

Last edited:

dwaradzyn

May 12, 2008
compiling android kernel for kaiser

leuk >_<

Next step would be to figure out how to compile the kernel.. anyone (xmoo!?) have a quick howto to get this done?

Here are brief instructions on how to compile android kernel for Kaiser from git.linuxtogo.org repository. I assume that running OS is Linux and it has everything required to build x86 or ia64 kernel. Beside that latest git software should be installed. The shell is assumed to be bash.

1. Let's start with creating a directory for kernel in home directory:
Code:
mkdir ~/android-kernel
cd android-kernel
2. Next thing is to get the sources from repository. To make it happen (this could take a while, it downloads 280MB):
Code:
git clone git://git.linuxtogo.org/home/groups/mobile-linux/kernel.git
OUTPUT:
Code:
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/user/android-kernel/kernel/.git/
remote: Counting objects: 908251, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (153970/153970), done.
remote: Total 908251 (delta 755115), reused 906063 (delta 753016)
Receiving objects: 100% (908251/908251), 281.86 MiB | 292 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (755115/755115), done.
Checking out files: 100% (22584/22584), done.
3. The htc-msm branch is of our interest (again it could take a few seconds):

Code:
cd kernel
git checkout -b htc-msm origin/htc-msm
OUTPUT:
Code:
Branch htc-msm set up to track remote branch refs/remotes/origin/htc-msm.
Switched to a new branch "htc-msm"
4. Let's take care of arm toolchain. Download this file (64MB) into ~/android-kernel:
Code:
http://www.codesourcery.com/gnu_toolchains/arm/portal/package2549/public/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/arm-2008q1-126-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2
Unpack it:

Code:
cd ~/android-kernel
tar xjf arm-2008q1-126-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2
5. Compile the kernel
Prepare default .config for Kaiser:
Code:
cd ~/android-kernel/kernel
make htckaiser_defconfig ARCH=arm
OUTPUT:
Code:
lots of output
# configuration written to .config
#
And finally compile the kernel to get zImage (takes a minute or two):
Code:
export PATH=~/android-kernel/arm-2008q1/bin:$PATH
make zImage ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-
OUTPUT:
Code:
lots of output
  Kernel: arch/arm/boot/zImage is ready
Now copy ~/android-kernel/kernel/arch/arm/boot/zImage to your phone and play with it.

Some ending tips:
A. You can compile earlier versions of sources in repository. To do that click on one of "commit" links on page:
Code:
http://git.linuxtogo.org/?p=groups/mobile-linux/kernel.git;a=summary
and read commit id (for example: f9d1bcea9342348623f5a57588044f76d8b649cd):
Code:
git reset --hard f9d1bcea9342348623f5a57588044f76d8b649cd

It will override any changes you made to files in ~/android-kernel/kernel.

B. Once you have downloaded git repository, you can swallow latest changes by issuing:
Code:
cd ~/android-kernel/kernel
git pull

C. If your machine has more than one cpus/cores you can speed up kernel compilation by adding -j <cores/cpus_number>, for example (dual core):
Code:
make -j 2 zImage ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-
Please correct me if you encounter any mistakes in this post. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

dcordes

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 20, 2007
dwaradzyn: Useful. This is one nice howto! Did you make any progress of any sort?

xmoo: Could you stuff post #184 into the first post

Last edited:

dwaradzyn

May 12, 2008
dwaradzyn: Useful. This is one nice howto! Did you make any progress of any sort?
Not progressing at all. I was hoping that not booting issue on Polaris was due to some recent changes. I tried building kernel from previous commits, but none of them boots.

Things look different when compiling from google's git and applying patches for Vogue. It boots every time.

I'm trying to find what is the reason for this by trial and error (manually merge some changes from one version to another and seeing what it gives).

If linuxtogo kernel would boot I think it wouldn't be that hard for me to make the keys working on Polaris.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is anyone having problems charging on Kaiser? I'm was using the latest basefiles and system-xrom1.4r3.sqsh so I switched to the Google-Ion-2009-09-12 bundle both from vogue-android on google code with fresh data.img, same problem. Charging will work for the first few hours and then without any changes, it will stop. It will charge for like 30 seconds and stop charging and the battery icon will go back to normal and in "battery status" it shows "not charging". A regular soft reboot will not fix this for some reason. Charges just fine in windows mobile, but to use android I have to reboot and charge in wm6 and when fully charged switch back to android. Anyone experienced this?
    Nice, I got it working on L26 V4 worked 1st time :)

Still a bit buggy of course but getting there

is l26 an lg device?

I will provide a zImage with our latest changes from the linuxtogo git later this day.

I will also upload a console image for testing purpose later (you can read the AT data from the arm9 in it. Just create a device node using mknod dev/smd0 254 2 and use cat /dev/smd0 to read from it. you will see incoming calls, sms etc.)
    This is one of the current mayor problems: We can read from the AT buffer but not write to it which is essential for any phone operations i.e. writing sms, making phone calls but also for using the gps. The gps deveice in kaiser is controlled also with AT send buffer. So once we hve it working we only need the msm_proc_comm work to make calls on the kaiser! If somebody knows what I'm talking about please have a look in arch/arm/mach-msm/smd-kaiser.c

Any hints/improvements appreaciated
    Can't make phone call

Hi every ones!!! :)

Android boot excellent, have internet connection but I can't make calls.

Someone can help me.

Thank you!!!
    I have a question: can I access my phone via USB when my phone is booted into Android and my computer is running Linux? It would makes sense to me, but it doesn't seem to be working.