[HOWTO] ROOT T-Mobile SGSII via ODIN -- Updated Recovery

Search This thread

zkid2010

May 17, 2010
Spokane, WA
Is this the only way to root? (New to GS2.) Do I need an external SD card or am I good to go right out of the box?

Nope, it's just that easy. In fact, once you've flashed CWM recovery via Odin, you really don't have to flash SU unless you really need a rooted/su'd stock. After CWM is flashed you can go and flash pre-rooted and busyboxed roms as normal through CWM.

asesino

Jun 13, 2010
WTF

I traded my Amaze yesterday for an SGS2 did this thing today Im running 2.3.6 everything went tru but I have tried to use a couple apps and i get a message that i do not have root.SU is there i ran SU via emulator it checked out fine fixed permission and what not and still no go.

Any ideas here?

Thanks in advance.

zkid2010

May 17, 2010
Spokane, WA
I traded my Amaze yesterday for an SGS2 did this thing today Im running 2.3.6 everything went tru but I have tried to use a couple apps and i get a message that i do not have root.SU is there i ran SU via emulator it checked out fine fixed permission and what not and still no go.

Any ideas here?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, just one idea: your su flash didn't work. Try it again, and again if that doesn't work. Try fixing perms thru CWM before trying it again if you haven't already. Eventually it will root/install su properly.

asesino

Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, just one idea: your su flash didn't work. Try it again, and again if that doesn't work. Try fixing perms thru CWM before trying it again if you haven't already. Eventually it will root/install su properly.

I had to go back to a previous nand and go from there otherwise it wouldnt install everything is good to go now.Thank you!

alpharomero

Dec 27, 2010
thanks everyone. I just performed all of these steps on my brand new GS2, except for being able to make a nandroid backup. i can boot into recovery, then go to "backup and restore", then "backup", but it says "can't mount /sdcard". is that how you do a nandroid backup? now i don't have an sdcard. do i need one to proceed with playing around with my phone and ROMs? help me proceed without destroying my phone! i want to eventually get a nice rom on here and get rid of all my bloatware.

another question if you want to answer more: what is this thread all about (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1332103) / why would i want to "upgrade to Touch Recovery". many, many thanks!!!

Last edited:

shatterpoints

Mar 27, 2010
No, reflash it until it succeeds. I've had it fail 2 or 3 times and work on the fourth, or last time for example it succeeded on first try.

Use the 3.0.7(?) newest super user too if you can. Best way to check for root is install a terminal app and try the su command. If you get a # prompt in response, you're as rooted as you need to be.

LoL this was the funniest root I've ever done. CWM first, then flash SU except I had to flash SU3.05 like 6 times before it worked.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

thanks everyone. I just performed all of these steps on my brand new GS2, except for being able to make a nandroid backup. i can boot into recovery, then go to "backup and restore", then "backup", but it says "can't mount /sdcard". is that how you do a nandroid backup? now i don't have an sdcard. do i need one to proceed with playing around with my phone and ROMs? help me proceed without destroying my phone! i want to eventually get a nice rom on here and get rid of all my bloatware.

another question if you want to answer more: what is this thread all about (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1332103) / why would i want to "upgrade to Touch Recovery". many, many thanks!!!

Touch CWM is just a convenience thing. The track pad on my old MT4G was dying and not working all the time, it made doing things in CWM a pain. The touch recovery came out and man it was awesome.

sonji3

Aug 31, 2008
Brooklyn

Yes, having a SD card would be helpful if you want to backup. Plus they are needed to install roms etc.
Just curious, did you root your G2?

johnnyh64

Aug 20, 2010
For the love of God people!! I have read so many posts and I'm so damn confused. I don't understand how so many of you can be so unhelpful and just ***** because people can't find what they need. I have flashed ROMs using Odin and CWM too many times to count in the past with my Vibrant, but this is a new day, new phone and a new version 2.3.6 and the original poster has not updated MD5 checksums or version numbers and download links don't work, so it is all very confusing. Especially considering most replies to a question regarding the newest image file are like:

"Yeah read 2 posts above." OR "It was on the last page 2 above your post."

What is this referring to?? I looked for the link and I couldn't find it.

Are you talking about just rooting your phone? If so which version? It's like 70 pages of fragments that don't make any sense to me because everyone is talking about something different. ADB vs CWM using NANDROID?? Perhaps I'm slow but I just need the 5-10 most current simple steps to just root my phone and not flash a rom, please.

Are you talking about CWM or Touch CWM or Image files to use in Odin or Recovery.IMG to use in CWM?????? HELP!!! I'm drowning in acronyms. This is just nonsense to someone that doesn't have 4 hours to read every old post in this topic or 12 others that are referring to other phones, other versions, other ROMS, or who-knows-what.

I never rant but I did this once before on this forum and I just don't have the time to do it again. Please just someone either re-update the original post to make sure it's still working, or someone else post a link to "How to Root Your Samsung Galaxy SII S2 (T989)" and please make it current to the most current OTA update (which for me is 2.3.6)

Thank you for listening to me piss my pants. Now I could use a bottle of love...please?

Last edited:
Reactions: mikesionu

johnnyh64

Aug 20, 2010
How about 2.3.6?

Will anybody please clarify if the file linked to the su-2.3.6.zip works with the updated 2.3.6 phones? Or do I have to flash to 2.3.5 and just deal with it?

Thank you.

Agera

May 26, 2011
Edit: I fixed had to re install a couple of times.. i has rooted my t989! thanks op!

Last edited:

nikmel420

Jan 16, 2008
Marana,AZ
Help

I've followed everything exactly when I ran odin it was working til it got to the point it says "initialzation" normally I wouldn't be concerned but it's been there 20 minutes! it's my first time using this old Computer!! Should I keep waiting? Or is there a way to stop it till I get to a new computer. On the phone it says downloading do not turn off target. I don't want to brick my new phone. Plx help tell me what I should do

johnnyh64

Aug 20, 2010
I've followed everything exactly when I ran odin it was working til it got to the point it says "initialzation" normally I wouldn't be concerned but it's been there 20 minutes! it's my first time using this old Computer!! Should I keep waiting? Or is there a way to stop it till I get to a new computer. On the phone it says downloading do not turn off target. I don't want to brick my new phone. Plx help tell me what I should do
Nikmel did you try to do this over 2.3.5 or 2.3.6? I'm afraid to do it too unless someone will confirm that the recovery that was just posted by Zkid a couple of posts up will work with 2.3.6. I also wanted to make sure that the newest super user file that ends in .7 will work on the stock rooted rom. Anybody?

Nikmel. The other think I've been reading is that many have had to try numerous times to get it to work. I'm not sure why this would be the case as it is a computer and it should work the same on everyone's phone assuming we are all trying to do this to the T-mobile variant of the Galaxy SII. The only difference is I have the latest OTA update and I'm unsure about what files exactly to use without bricking the phone.

Please keep us updated if you do get it to work and if so, where you on 2.3.6 previous to flashing it.

Good luck. I sincerely hope you get your phone back!

zkid2010

May 17, 2010
Spokane, WA
Nikmel did you try to do this over 2.3.5 or 2.3.6? I'm afraid to do it too unless someone will confirm that the recovery that was just posted by Zkid a couple of posts up will work with 2.3.6. I also wanted to make sure that the newest super user file that ends in .7 will work on the stock rooted rom. Anybody?

Nikmel. The other think I've been reading is that many have had to try numerous times to get it to work. I'm not sure why this would be the case as it is a computer and it should work the same on everyone's phone assuming we are all trying to do this to the T-mobile variant of the Galaxy SII. The only difference is I have the latest OTA update and I'm unsure about what files exactly to use without bricking the phone.

Please keep us updated if you do get it to work and if so, where you on 2.3.6 previous to flashing it.

Good luck. I sincerely hope you get your phone back!

I've run through the procedure in this thread on my fully stock gs2 since picking it up about 3 weeks ago. It was OOB 2.3.5 and quickly got the 2.3.6 OTA once it was up and running for a few.

Just run Odin using that CWM recovery tar I linked, flash that, then you're gold. Really unless you're just dying to run the stock rom but with root/su, once CWM is flashed you can go on your happy way and flash custom roms/themes etc just as you always have. Of course, the nice side-effect of custom roms is that they're pre-rooted and have busybox and everything else you might want.

Edit: the many times you are reading people talking about is flashing superuser 3.0.5/7 IIRC. If the install says it fails, just try it again, or again - eventually it sticks and succeeds. Like I said though, if you want to run custom roms, you don't really need to flash su on the stock image anyway :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROOT THE T-MOBILE SGSII

This Method will flash a recovery Image and then you can flash the superuser .zip file to root the phone.
    This requires minor knowledge. But BE CAREFUL Because this can harm your phone!

First Things you need to have:

*You Need ODIN 1.8++(CLICK ME)
    *The USB Drivers for Our SGSII
    *Clockworkmod which you are going to flash via ODIN
    Code:
    md5sum - 8bf6802a84d85aa7da0c1976c0f129d1
    *Superuser+Su files to flash thru clockworkmod later on!
    *SDCARD installed for CWR

How to Root the phone...

*Before We get things rolling, Make sure the Phone is recognized by your PC.

*Put the Superuser .zip file on your internal SD

*Take the battery out and place it back

*Hold both Vol up + Vol down, and plug the USB cable in.

*On ODIN, Select the PDA button and browse to the recovery-cwm-hercules.tar

*Select Start and see the magic do its thing.

*It should flash the file to Recovery and reboot the phone.

*Take the battery out again and now boot into recovery

*Power off phone, unplug USB, Hold Both Vol up + Vol down and Hit power

*PERFORM NANDROID BACKUP FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY*

*Select Install zip from sdcard, choose the Superuser .zip and let it finish.

*Reboot!

*Now Lets delete some bloat ok? Be careful of what you delete!

***Thanks To Slayher for ROOTING the phone, i just created this small guide for you all to use.
    cant wait to try this!!!!ty to everyone who helped
    If You Can't Find Recovery.tar You'll Find It Here
    http://www.mediafire.com/?5bktv62yoyh3wim
    Thank u.....first time being first :p

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
    Full (hopefully) noob rooting instructions

Being basically a noob myself, I tried to put all the steps in. Hopefully I included everything for the less well- healed:

1. Download the following:
    a. Odin - Version 1.83 or newer
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=755024&d=1319077881
    b.recovery-cwm-hercules.tar
    http://goo-inside.me/hercules/clockworkmod/
    c. superuser
    http://goo-inside.me/superuser/su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip
    2. Make sure windows recognizes your phone in ODIN by starting Odin and seeing that is shows <ID:0/004> Added!! In the message box.
    3. Turn the phone off,
    4. Turn the phone on by holding both the Vol up and Vol down buttons and plug the USB cable in.
    5. Select volume up button
    6. Start Odin
    7. Select the PDA button in Odin and select the recovery-cwm-hercules.tar file
    8. Select Start in Odin
    9. It should flash the file to Recovery and reboot the phone.
    10. After the phone has rebooted, select USB connected from your pull down screen on your phone and push the Connect USB storage button on the bottom.
    11. Copy the Superuser zip file to the sdcard or internal memory
    12. Reboot into recovery by doing the following:
    a. Power the phone off and unplug the USB cable
    b. Hold both the Vol up and Vol down and hold the power button for at least 1 second while continuing to hold both volume buttons
    c. Keep holding the Vol up and Vol down buttons until the Recovery screen comes up
    13. * PERFORM NANDROID BACKUP * - This take a while to run
    Menu button moves selection down;
    Home button moves selection up;
    Back button goes to the top; and,
    Search button selects the choice you've made.
    14. Select Install zip from sdcard or internal storage, choose the superuser zip file and push the Search button (enter)
    15. It takes you to another screen, scroll down using the Menu button to the superuser zip file and push the Search button
    16. Reboot!