ICS for Droid X

Search This thread

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
A pre-alpha ICS port is available over at Rootzwiki.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

BeADroid

May 18, 2010
Indianapolis
sites.google.com
There's a new ICS rom for Droid X. Everything including hardware acceleration works, except the radio, camera, and gps. I'm on it now and it can easily be a daily rom if there was a working radio.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/11854-rom-encounterics-x-1214-beta-1/

Just flashed this rom, totally awesome. Runs just like my buddys GNex. IT is still a little buggy, however the Dev is releasing a build 3 soon, which should fix most of the issues. Super fast.:D:D

RandomPooka

Oct 14, 2010
Kent, OH
OnePlus 8
Can anyone actually say what's improved in ICS over Gingerbread? Not just how it looks, but what will it benefit us on the DX to upgrade to this version of the OS apart from compatibility with new Market apps as they are written (And I don't see the Market being full of apps that will only run on ICS)

So far, from what I've seen of EncounterICS, the changes are all cosmetic and in the way the settings are organized. No actual report of what any performance modifications are between GB and ICS.

Personally, I can't stand the new Settings menu system. It condescends to people who actually WANT the poweruser options. The GB Settings menu is far superior, with things organized in a (mostly) intuitive fashion.

Even that can be overlooked if there are documented benefits to the OS change and not just user comments like "This ROM flies!!", "b3st ROM evar!!" and "Super snappy". Tell me what makes it better than GB and I'll be interested. Until then, it's just another iteration of Windows Vista Syndrome: a bug filled half finished project.

I applaud those who are working their butts off on this, and it's GREAT that people are trying to get this working. It's the end user mad rush to run an OS that we don't even know how or why it benefits us that kills me. Upgrading just to upgrade is not always the best path.

That said, I'm probably going to flash Encounter-3 again to mess with it :)

gregoryx

Nov 20, 2007
OnePlus 9 Pro
Mostly a lurker here... but thought I'd pipe in to reflect on ICS: I have the Nexus now after the X for a year (with a few different ROMs on it). I didn't care for the changes in ICS at first - soft buttons, changes in menu locations, stuff like that; but I've come to like some of the little stuff, like the running-apps button.

Loading ICS on an X (noting everything but camera working, basically), the biggest differences I see are the smoother transitions and the prettier menus. (Again, only seeming "pretty" to me after having become accustomed to them on the Nexus.)

I don't use the stock launcher, so that change doesn't do much for me. If I were using the stock launcher, it'd be reason enough to change. It doesn't re-load or lag at all when I used it.

Pretty much all the cool stuff in ICS can be done (better, typically) with some add-on or tweak to GB; but the aggregate of all those cool things (like settings on the pull-down-bar, for example) make for slow-downs and memory usage / dumping issues that you don't get in ICS (at least from said cool things).

If I had to summarize the story with ICS, it would be "smoother and prettier" - even on Droid X, let alone on Nexus.

Reactions: iamq

iamq

Oct 22, 2008
I finally broke down a couple weeks ago and rooted my DX. I was not going to hold out for ICS. After doing some research I decided on Liberty for my first test. So far I really enjoy the nice and smooth stability.

Since then I have gotten ICS pushed out to my Xoom. Now it's not bad, nothing over the top at this early stage of evaluation. I figured I'd look to see if there is any further ICS roms out there worth a flash.

So far it seems more worth my while to stick with a stable GB rom over the coming months. I appreciate the feedback from others on their ICS developments. Everyone seems to want to get the latest and maybe greatest, I just think it's addictive to flash and test rom's!

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
Once camera is working, CM9 will be a true beast.

twisted_58

Apr 22, 2008
EncounterICS = Awesome

I flashed EncounterICS beta 3 the other day and other than the camera and voice inputs not working it is the smoothest running rom I have ever had on my DX. The battery life is great and the new features of ICS make me never want to flash back to anything else. If the short broken items list isn't a big deal for you, this rom makes for a great daily driver. Not a single issue yet!:D

Vettesfan

Nov 30, 2010
I just flashed it the other day and I am having horrible battery life. But besides that it is an excellent from that really only needs camera to be *fully* functional.

msucoleman

Mar 20, 2008
Well I want to switch from what I got. I have flashed MIUI ICS 2.2.5a twice now and I really like the rom. But, my battery life just isn't up to par with my rooted .605 or Vortex on .605.
I would switch back in a heartbeat if I could get the battery issue figured out.
I mean, it seem like it will hardly charge while plugged into usb. It will but very, very slowly. Once plugged into the wall or my car plug it will charge right up????
I ran it down to like 30% here at work and all I have is usb charger and it just kept either loosing charge or it would only go up 1%.. Really weird and I have never had that happen.

I have the ICS rom and thinking about trying out. I can live without the camera as long as it runs good and battery is stable.

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
CyanogenMod 9 beta is now available for the Droid X.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

msucoleman

Mar 20, 2008
I've been using Encounter ICS all weekend and really like it. Been running smooth and battery life has been good. If only the camera worked.

sickopsycho

Jan 21, 2008
Wilmington
CyanogenMod 9 beta is now available for the Droid X.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

yes it is. This is a MAJOR improvement over EncounterICS- voice input works, it has incorporated the newest CM9 improvements (new settings, CM9 custom stuff, etc.) and maybe the best part... active development. The camera still isn't working and because the drivers needed to make it work are closed source it may be a while (if ever) before it's working. Supposedly the devs are close to a fix for the droid2 and if that happens it may be possible to port it over to the X- don't quote me on it, it's just what I've read. This ROM is fine for a daily driver, though, if you don't mind being without a camera. If you still want to try it and can't live without the camera load it up with Boot Manager. They say it won't work but I'm running it now. It is fine as long as you first are running on a 2nd init rom, install your 2nd init rom of choice INTO AN SD SLOT in boot manager (MIUI, CM7, whatever) and load CM9 (ICS) AS THE PHONE ROM. It will work, trust me. Anyway- it's definately worth checking out. If you liked EncounterICS you will love this. =) OK, well apparently I haven't posted enough to post a link here. You can find the CM9 thread at droidforums (dot) net (fwslash) forum (fwslash) droid-x-roms (fwslash) 199030-cyanogenmod-9-beta (dot) html
or google "13th Angel" (developer) and cyanogenmod 9 beta droidx

Last edited:

twisted_58

Apr 22, 2008
yes it is. This is a MAJOR improvement over EncounterICS- voice input works, it has incorporated the newest CM9 improvements (new settings, CM9 custom stuff, etc.) and maybe the best part... active development. The camera still isn't working and because the drivers needed to make it work are closed source it may be a while (if ever) before it's working. Supposedly the devs are close to a fix for the droid2 and if that happens it may be possible to port it over to the X- don't quote me on it, it's just what I've read. This ROM is fine for a daily driver, though, if you don't mind being without a camera. If you still want to try it and can't live without the camera load it up with Boot Manager. They say it won't work but I'm running it now. It is fine as long as you first are running on a 2nd init rom, install your 2nd init rom of choice INTO AN SD SLOT in boot manager (MIUI, CM7, whatever) and load CM9 (ICS) AS THE PHONE ROM. It will work, trust me. Anyway- it's definately worth checking out. If you liked EncounterICS you will love this. =) OK, well apparently I haven't posted enough to post a link here. You can find the CM9 thread at droidforums (dot) net (fwslash) forum (fwslash) droid-x-roms (fwslash) 199030-cyanogenmod-9-beta (dot) html
or google "13th Angel" (developer) and cyanogenmod 9 beta droidx

I have been watching that build every day. Just waititng for a few more of the issues to be ironed out before i flash it. Good news is that the camera is close to functioning. really the only part about it that doesn't is the ability to actually take pictures. Otherwise viewfinder/camera modes/zoom/etc is fuctioning. Angel over at rootzwiki was going to put it in his CM9 rom but it was causing problems so he removed it till the dev working on the camera gets a little further.

Top Liked Posts