Need suggestions

Search This thread

neftv

Jan 6, 2012
I been using a Nokia 5800 now for 2 years or so. I was on AT&t but just this week I flip over to StraightTalk with an AT&T simm for much less money.
Anyway, I am looking to get away from a small acreen.
I had in my hands an HTC Titan and loved Mango with the email /contacts integration and the size of the screen. I was using it to watch Netflix confortably. Anyway would have kept the phone except that in 30 days I had three Titans and ALL of them had the random power cycle every like 12 to18hrs and I had tried some troubleshooting but didn't make a difference. Beside the fact it had awful Voice quality on phone calls both ways. So all of the Titans got shipped back and I reversed the upgrade well that was when I was with AT&T which is no longer the case.
The Dell Venue pro seems like the price is right now (Amazon, Newegg) but I know the hardware is more than an year old now. At this point in time would one want to purchase this phone? Does this phone have a front facing camera too? How is the voice quality?
When I had the Titan in my hands I played with the Tango Video chat software and talked to my cousin in Australia and it worked out fine except for voice, when I plugged in a headset it was night and day difference.
Just curious how many windows phone have a front facing camera and have decent voice quality both ways?
Looking for suggestions here. I have read some of the forum but just can't make a decision on how to get away from my 3.2 inch screen of my Nokia 5800. Thank you in advance for suggestions.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
I been using a Nokia 5800 now for 2 years or so. I was on AT&t but just this week I flip over to StraightTalk with an AT&T simm for much less money.
Anyway, I am looking to get away from a small acreen.
I had in my hands an HTC Titan and loved Mango with the email /contacts integration and the size of the screen. I was using it to watch Netflix confortably. Anyway would have kept the phone except that in 30 days I had three Titans and ALL of them had the random power cycle every like 12 to18hrs and I had tried some troubleshooting but didn't make a difference. Beside the fact it had awful Voice quality on phone calls both ways. So all of the Titans got shipped back and I reversed the upgrade well that was when I was with AT&T which is no longer the case.
The Dell Venue pro seems like the price is right now (Amazon, Newegg) but I know the hardware is more than an year old now. At this point in time would one want to purchase this phone? Does this phone have a front facing camera too? How is the voice quality?
When I had the Titan in my hands I played with the Tango Video chat software and talked to my cousin in Australia and it worked out fine except for voice, when I plugged in a headset it was night and day difference.
Just curious how many windows phone have a front facing camera and have decent voice quality both ways?
Looking for suggestions here. I have read some of the forum but just can't make a decision on how to get away from my 3.2 inch screen of my Nokia 5800. Thank you in advance for suggestions.

You know, that's a good question, one that has been tossed around in a couple of threads. It will all boil down to personal choice, of course. Yes, the dell is an old phone. But, its still a good phone. If you can get it contract free, it may be a good deal for you. I just gave mine to my son lady week. He came from an HTC sensation. Loves it.

There are several new phones out right now, a Samsung or 2, the titan, nokia has the 710, 610, 800 out now or real soon. Most fall into tufted 3.x range. Too small for me.

Nokia is introducing the Lumia 900 series in the next 2 weeks. You can check the:p specs on nokia.com. They look good. This will be my choice.

This week in Barcelona is the mobile world conference. You should see a lot of new offerings come from there. If you can wait , I recommend checking out the news from mwc first...you can follow it in engadget.com, and other places.

The key recommend would be, try the phone, do the research, and most of all, HOLD the phone. See on it feels and fits in your hand. Take no ones word but your own. And mine, of course.
:p

neftv

Jan 6, 2012
Venue Pro

I know the mobile expo this week but I decided to try out the Dell Venue Pro from NewEgg. They have a decent 30 day return so I don't think I can lose. This phone seems to be unlocked for TMobile 3G but I may decide if I keep it to do that procedure (which I hope works) in the menu to change it to AT&T 3G bands. well see.
I really can't spend 400 on a phone right now. I hope I like the Dell enough to keep it for a while as I save money using StraightTalk. I kinda will miss the front facing camera that the Titan has when I used it with that Tango Video chat software. I thought about used but I not so lucky with used things.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
I know the mobile expo this week but I decided to try out the Dell Venue Pro from NewEgg. They have a decent 30 day return so I don't think I can lose. This phone seems to be unlocked for TMobile 3G but I may decide if I keep it to do that procedure (which I hope works) in the menu to change it to AT&T 3G bands. well see.
I really can't spend 400 on a phone right now. I hope I like the Dell enough to keep it for a while as I save money using StraightTalk. I kinda will miss the front facing camera that the Titan has when I used it with that Tango Video chat software. I thought about used but I not so lucky with used things.

cool...keep in mind, the 900 is supposed to be $99 USD + 2 YR contract on AT&T next month

benjaminries

Aug 14, 2007
Toronto
OnePlus 7 Pro
IMO there are some nice gen2 phones for AT&T bands, but not nearly as much for T-mo. For me, portrait hardware qwerty slider FTW. Now that Skype is in beta though, and since you're on AT&T, I think the Nokia 900 is probably your dominant choice (esp. if you're cool with the contract). Faster, FF camera, best rear cam (DVP prob has the worst cam implementation), extra Nokia maps, etc.

We can only dream that Nokia makes a 900 spec device with vertical slider and AWS bands. Then I predict eBay will be flooded with $80 DVPs :)

Sent from my Venue Pro

neftv

Jan 6, 2012
Well I just got out of AT&T and went with an AT&T sim card from StraightTalk to save some money a month. Nice thing with StraightTalk I can flip to a TMobile with a purchase of a Tmobile Sim card if I wanted to. The lumia 900 has great specs on paper will have to see how it is when it actually comes out with people doing some reviews. Probably the most important to me is how does it sound on voice calls in both directions... The lousy experience with Titan besides the random power cycling on 3 different Titans I had in 30 days that I had it was with call quality. It was somewhat embarressing. Nice phone but call quality stinks on that phone. Seems like people forget about voice with all the other features these phones have after all it is a phone. I can't believe in this day and age we have to worry about Voice quality on a Cell Phone.
I thought i read somewhere that possibly in May that Nokia was going to sell the Nokia Lumia 900 (or simulair) as an unlocked device. I would imagine it will be priced way out of my range but still for those that can spend.

neftv

Jan 6, 2012
Unlock or locked?

I have my Venue Pro now. It seems to be unlocked for GSM . I have an AT&T sim from StraightTalk and it just wants to connect on E I guess that is edge. Even after changing the bands I click save is there something more?