USB car charger dongle supporting "charging AC" mode?

Search This thread

maniac2k

Jun 28, 2009
This is an easy fix and it should work on most chargers that have this problem.

I had this problem with the Griffin PowerJolt Dual Universal Micro that I bought for my TouchPro2. To fix it all you have to do is open up the housing (make sure you don't lose any parts, some are under tension and have the tendency to fly away) and solder together the two middle solder points on the usb connector. I have attached an image of what you should look for.Just make sure you do not accidentally solder to either pin 1 or 4 as they are the +V and -V. Once you solder the middle pins together you should be able to reassemble the charger and you phone should see it as an ac charger and will be able to charge faster. Let me know if this works for you.

Opened up, put a little drop of solder on the 2 center connections closed back up. Now it's charging as AC. Thanks! Hardest part is finding all the pieces under pressure that pop out when opening. Lol.

Last edited:

SamXp

Very cool! Just did this to the Amazon Basics 2.1 Amp Car Charger.
Poppped the case apart:
IMAG0618.jpg

Soldered the two pins together:
IMAG0624.jpg

Put the case together, plugged it in, and got 872mA right off the bat! Nice!

txkorm

Nov 24, 2007
San Antonio
Just ordered one and will order another if it works. Hell of a deal at under $3 including shipping.

KORM via the beast known as the Rezound.

voxigenboy

Jul 2, 2010
San Diego
This one works without soldering or anything. It charges the EXTENDED batter about 1% every two minutes.

31DMWDGBXHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TOKTHO/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

so a 1 amp charger that registers AC mode eh?.. thats cool.

still sad though that i have 2 2.1 amp dongles(a belkin and a kensington) that both charge my asus transformer & ipad 2 fast... but when i connect the rezound to either it registers as USB mode and charges slow as hell(loses charge if i actually use the rezound while charging).

anyone know if there's a 2.1 that will do AC mode?

i ended getting this rocketfish rapid charger from best buy but with the coil like cable & the standard micro connection it's a tad loose and occassionally stops charging depending on the phone's placement.

mike.s

Apr 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
still sad though that i have 2 2.1 amp dongles(a belkin and a kensington) that both charge my asus transformer & ipad 2 fast... but when i connect the rezound to either it registers as USB mode and charges slow as hell(loses charge if i actually use the rezound while charging).
You say that as if the problem is with the Rezound. It's not. Those chargers simply don't follow the USB spec.

maximus20895

Dec 12, 2011
Yea, I got one and it didn't work. Charged around 200 mah. Impossible to take apart so I just got the 1 amp one. It 6 times cheaper so I'm happy.

txkorm

Nov 24, 2007
San Antonio
so a 1 amp charger that registers AC mode eh?.. thats cool.

anyone know if there's a 2.1 that will do AC mode?

i ended getting this rocketfish rapid charger from best buy but with the coil like cable & the standard micro connection it's a tad loose and occassionally stops charging depending on the phone's placement.

I got mine and it works amazingly! Best $3 spent in a long time. Thanks!

txkorm

Nov 24, 2007
San Antonio
Anything similar to this for 2 phones? And also does this come with a cable? I'm having issues with the popular Motorola car charger cable being loose.

Nope, no cable. This thing charges quickly! Just order two more. One for the wife and one for my "Tech-Out bag". Yes, I'm a "Battery Drain Prepper".

Apsalus

Jun 1, 2010
This one works without soldering or anything. It charges the EXTENDED batter about 1% every two minutes.

Welcome to the thread.
I forgot to update this thread. I got the HTC CC C300 dual port charger and it does provide 1A. The model number is 99H10128-00.

HTC_accessories1.jpg

If you can live with only one port, the single port HTC charger does AC charging as well. The cheapest that I've seen it is here, as a "T-Mobile myTouch" branded unit. http://www.amazon.com/HTC-T-Mobile-...UTF8&coliid=I3F2IGEKMH21XF&colid=CYR5AB72ZMIK

17391097_300x300_1.jpg

Anything similar to this for 2 phones? And also does this come with a cable? I'm having issues with the popular Motorola car charger cable being loose.
The CC C300 does 1A from both ports. It comes with one cable.

ecetim

Feb 28, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Have any of you tried using Battery Monitor Widget to actually measure your charge rates? I never have issues getting 1A charge with any charger, including the $4 Motorola car charger. Just don't use cheap Chinese junk and you shouldn't have any issues.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

gcbxda

Jan 5, 2009
California
this thread left me with more questions :)

1) does it show AC/USB based on the >0.5A being provided? or based on the shorted data pins in the USB cable?

2) So, how do you guys measure charging current? i could only find remaning battery voltage on my CM7.1

extra. 3) if you were to attach a multimeter to measure real Amps being draw, how would you do it?

maximus20895

Dec 12, 2011
I downloaded battery monitor widget or something, it tells the draw and input.

No idea, but there is an app for that ^

gcbxda

Jan 5, 2009
California
what i'm trying to figure out now is if the phone is relying solely on the shorted USB pin 3-4 instead of acually checking amperage.

I checked those widgets, and didn't put much trust on them.

Anyone knows where in the proc filesystem i can find the input voltage? my googlefu failed.

i wasted some type probing /sys and /proc but the best i could find was in dmesg

"batt: 96%, 4162 mV, 206 mA (210 avg), 28.8 C, 1300 mAh"

which does not tell me anything about the charger

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

i'm testing one board and between pin 2-3 there's 24K ohm.

does that sound right?

gcbxda

Jan 5, 2009
California
yeah, i have to learn a little about eletronics.

just tested several AC chargers, they all have <1 ohm. So i just went ahead and soldered my car charger's pins.

seems that to advertise ipad/iwhatever compatible the manufacturers, besides paying royalties, are forbidden to short the pins on the charger itself.

mike.s

Apr 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
seems that to advertise ipad/iwhatever compatible the manufacturers, besides paying royalties, are forbidden to short the pins on the charger itself.
Nope. Shorting D+ and D- (actually, it's a 200 Ohm resistance in the current spec) is part of the USB charging specification. Makers of cheap chargers don't do it because they're clueless.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is an easy fix and it should work on most chargers that have this problem.

I had this problem with the Griffin PowerJolt Dual Universal Micro that I bought for my TouchPro2. To fix it all you have to do is open up the housing (make sure you don't lose any parts, some are under tension and have the tendency to fly away) and solder together the two middle solder points on the usb connector. I have attached an image of what you should look for.Just make sure you do not accidentally solder to either pin 1 or 4 as they are the +V and -V. Once you solder the middle pins together you should be able to reassemble the charger and you phone should see it as an ac charger and will be able to charge faster. Let me know if this works for you.

I forgot to update this thread. I got the HTC CC C300 dual port charger and it does provide the juice for AC charging. Cruising down the road, it was pushing a little under 850mAh into my near-dead battery. The model number is 99H10128-00.

HTC_accessories1.jpg

If you can live with only one port, the single port HTC charger does AC charging as well. The cheapest that I've seen it is here, as a "T-Mobile myTouch" branded unit. http://www.amazon.com/HTC-T-Mobile-...UTF8&coliid=I3F2IGEKMH21XF&colid=CYR5AB72ZMIK

17391097_300x300_1.jpg
    Yeah, I have one of the ipad 2.1 amp chargers for the car, and the bionic would charge at about 1.5 amps on it, but all of my HTC devices charge at only 500mah. I wish I had a 2.1 amp charger that would work for the zound. As its nice to be about to get in the car for 20 mins and have 30% or so battery after that.

I just read in another post that HTC USB deugging mode limits the charge to 500mah. :fingers-crossed: