FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][CM7] [v1.3] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards.

1,305 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,651

Post Reply Email Thread
1st March 2012, 07:36 PM |#1661  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,869

Donate to Me
More
Updated SD image for CM9/CM10
[Update 10-17-12] Updated installation instructions for putting CM9/CM10 on SD have been posted here. And updated image to Rev 5 to fix an issue with installing CM10.

[Update 8-21-12] Rev 4 of image and boot files attached.

I updated the image and boot files to better accommodate CM10 and JellyBean gapp zips and provide bigger /data partitions for larger sized SD cards. The boot partition is now 300MB so the larger CM10 and JB gapps zips will fit. And now all SD cards 8GB and larger will have a 2GB /data partition to accommodate more installed apps. Thanks DizzyDen for that suggestion.

[Update 6-13-12] Rev 3 of image and boot files attached.

When updating Rev 2, somehow the duplication fixes got removed. Rev 3 restores the duplication fix along with the naming fixes.

[Update 5-09-12] Rev 2 of image and boot files attached (Replaced with newer version).

A pending change that the CM team is implementing will adversely affect verygreen SD users. They are changing the naming standard for new nightlies. They will no longer be naming the files starting with update-. That means the existing install script will no longer recognize or install a new nightly when it is copied to the boot partition. Users must rename the file to start with update- if they want the existing install script to work.

In order to assist users I have modified the install script to now also install nightlies if they begin with the new standard (cm-). I also added to the script the ability to recognize the new prefix (diff_) that is used by the new Goo Manager program to make an incremental update to an existing ROM. (Edit: The new script will continue to recognize and install zips beginning with update- to provide backward compatibility.) I have attached new rev2 files (replaced with newer version) that are to be used as described in the original post below.

--------

I have made new boot files for SD install users. They have been modified to fix the Google App duplication issue with CM9 and Google Apps. The revised script in these files will look to see if you have installed the Google versions of Calendar, Gallery, and QuickSearchBox. If you have them installed it will remove the versions that come with ICS/CM9 so that two versions of those apps will no longer show in your system.

I have attached two files.

The first is a revised generic image file for use if you have never set up your SD. It has the new boot files in it. It also has the larger partition so that the CM9 nightlies will fit. Just follow the instructions in the first post of this thread to learn how to install it.

The second file is the revised boot files themselves. This is for use if you have already set up your SD and you just want the new scripts to fix the duplication issue. To install these files, just go to your boot partition and rename two files, uRecImg and uRecRam. Just add .bak to each file. The attached file is a rar containing the new files. Just unrar and copy the two files to the boot partition to replace the files you renamed earlier. The next time you install a nightly, the script will do its checking and remove the duplicates if necessary.

Enjoy
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leapinlar Ad-Free

3rd March 2012, 04:25 PM |#1662  
Thanks Meter: 457

More
Quote:

EDIT 2: I just modified the file to automatically create the directory and mount it. Just unrar and put the file in /etc/init.d folder and fix permissions. No need to create the new folder. Or better yet, I created a flashable install zip that does everything for you. You only need to flash it once (for SD installs). It will survive flashing of new SD nightlies. It can also be flashed to emmc and will mount the SD boot partition, but only if an SD install SD is in the slot. It will recognize an ordinary SD and not try to mount the SD boot partition. However, if you want to keep this on emmc, reflash after every emmc nightly flash.

Since the EDIT2, I only downloaded one file, the "update...".zip.
After done creating the bootable uSD, I put the ROM (built on 0301) AND this update .zip file, I have NOT put any other zip file there, not the Gapps, not the telephony, .....
Inserted, powered up, display shown ROM has successfully installed then successsfully install this update .zip file. However after reboot, there was no /sdboot folder under /data.
Did i miss any step?

Update 1 for more info.
+ yes, there is the 19mountsdboot file under /etc/init.d folder
+ still no /data/sdboot folder after reboot
+ since I assume this process is fully automatic, I did not bother to change the permission

Update 2
+ after manually changed permission to match with other file in the folder, reboot
+ still no go

Update 3
+ manually created the "sdboot" folder under /data, then reboot
+ after boot, nothing in that /data/sdboot folder.
3rd March 2012, 04:41 PM |#1663  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

I have made new boot files for SD install users. They have been modified to fix the Google App duplication issue with CM9 and Google Apps. The revised script in these files will look to see if you have installed the Google versions of Calendar, Gallery, and QuickSearchBox. If you have them installed it will remove the versions that come with ICS/CM9 so that two versions of those apps will no longer show in your system.

I have attached two files.

The first is a revised generic image file for use if you have never set up your SD. It has the new boot files in it. It also has the larger partition so that the CM9 nightlies will fit. Just follow the instructions in the first post of this thread to learn how to install it.

The second file is the revised boot files themselves. This is for use if you have already set up your SD and you just want the new scripts to fix the duplication issue. To install these files, just go to your boot partition and rename two files, uRecImg and uRecRam. Just add .bak to each file. The attached file is a rar containing the new files. Just unrar and copy the two files to the boot partition to replace the files you renamed earlier. The next time you install a nightly, the script will do its checking and remove the duplicates if necessary.

Enjoy

Just want to make sure I understand this before starting.

If I want to try out CM9 and use the first file is that going to image my SD card as with verygreens system but then allow me to grab a CM( nightly and install it just as I have done for cm7? Will I have to set up gapps after or can it be included on the initial install with cm9?
3rd March 2012, 06:33 PM |#1664  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTT1

deleted will repost

After creating and burning the image, boot to recovery, let it create the partitions, then put the nightly and a gapp file in the boot partition, boot to recovery again and both should install properly.
3rd March 2012, 06:44 PM |#1665  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by votinh

Since the EDIT2, I only downloaded one file, the "update...".zip.
After done creating the bootable uSD, I put the ROM (built on 0301) AND this update .zip file, I have NOT put any other zip file there, not the Gapps, not the telephony, .....
Inserted, powered up, display shown ROM has successfully installed then successsfully install this update .zip file. However after reboot, there was no /sdboot folder under /data.
Did i miss any step?

Update 1 for more info.
+ yes, there is the 19mountsdboot file under /etc/init.d folder
+ still no /data/sdboot folder after reboot
+ since I assume this process is fully automatic, I did not bother to change the permission

Update 2
+ after manually changed permission to match with other file in the folder, reboot
+ still no go

Update 3
+ manually created the "sdboot" folder under /data, then reboot
+ after boot, nothing in that /data/sdboot folder.

What size SD card are you using? Did it create an SD media partition? My script looks for the SD media partition in partition 4. If you used a small SD card, verygreen's installer script will not create the partition 4 and without partition 4, my script will abort. I did that so it would not mount an ordinary SD.

Try making the file manually as in the body of the post. That version has no checks in it and should work.
4th March 2012, 01:37 AM |#1666  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

What size SD card are you using? Did it create an SD media partition? My script looks for the SD media partition in partition 4. If you used a small SD card, verygreen's installer script will not create the partition 4 and without partition 4, my script will abort. I did that so it would not mount an ordinary SD.

Try making the file manually as in the body of the post. That version has no checks in it and should work.

Mine is Sandisk class 4 16GB, should be plenty of space.
Prior today, I did the "manually way", not flashing with the .zip file and it worked just fine. But since I decided to redo the CM9 from scratch, I tried the .zip file and it didn't work for some reason.
I think I've seen is the "19mountsdboot" file ALWAYS shown "000" as permission even though I manually changed it to "747". After reboot, it reversed back to 000.
Is it expected behavior? I forgot to check how it was when I was successfully done that.
Worst case, I do the old fashion way then.
4th March 2012, 03:02 AM |#1667  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Mine is Sandisk class 4 16GB, should be plenty of space.
Prior today, I did the "manually way", not flashing with the .zip file and it worked just fine. But since I decided to redo the CM9 from scratch, I tried the .zip file and it didn't work for some reason.
I think I've seen is the "19mountsdboot" file ALWAYS shown "000" as permission even though I manually changed it to "747". After reboot, it reversed back to 000.
Is it expected behavior? I forgot to check how it was when I was successfully done that.
Worst case, I do the old fashion way then.

There may be something about your card that my automatic script does not like and causes it to abort the mount. I will put the simple version back on the board later tonight for those that have problems with the automatic version.

But permissions may be the issue. I'm not sure what the numbers are supposed to be, but I always just use root explorer to change to match the 00banner file that is in the same directory. But flashing it from the zip should set it right so that it can be executed during boot. I really would like to solve this so other users would not have to go through what you have. Let me know if the simple version works with your new install.

EDIT: It is the permissions. I just tried flashing to a fresh card and the permissions were not set to execute. So the script did not run. I manually changed the permissions to execute in all three rows and rebooted. It worked then. I am going to have to try see of I can fix that in the zip, if not, folks will have to manually fix the permissions.

EDIT 2: Found the problem in the original install zip. Corrected zip now posted to the earlier post above. Should work now.
The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leapinlar Ad-Free
4th March 2012, 04:38 PM |#1668  

More
Update 4: With your new -rev1.zip, yes, it successfully created and put those boot files into the /data/sdboot. However, for some reason, I cannot copy any file into that directory. Again, all permission set to "000" from ROOT folder (meaning all /system, /etc, /data, ..... all set to 000), I manually set to 747, but still cannot place any file inside that /data/sdboot folder.
I ended up remove/insert the uSD to put gapps and other zip files there.

Note: instead of using Sam303 CM9, I used Eyeballer's CM9 this time.
4th March 2012, 05:26 PM |#1669  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Update 4: With your new -rev1.zip, yes, it successfully created and put those boot files into the /data/sdboot. However, for some reason, I cannot copy any file into that directory. Again, all permission set to "000" from ROOT folder (meaning all /system, /etc, /data, ..... all set to 000), I manually set to 747, but still cannot place any file inside that /data/sdboot folder.
I ended up remove/insert the uSD to put gapps and other zip files there.

Note: instead of using Sam303 CM9, I used Eyeballer's CM9 this time.

There is something definitely wrong with your system that it is setting all the permissions to 000. I would try starting all over again with setting up your card. Use my revised image a few posts back so that it fixes the duplicate gapp issue. As part of verygreen's install script, it is supposed to let the install zip go ahead and set permissions as it calls for in the zip. (That is how I was able to fix the sdboot zip). Something may be corrupt in your verygreen script. I recommend starting over.

Edit: You know, since you had that problem with Sam's nightly and now this zip, maybe however you are downloading is corrupting the files. Try downloading on a different device.

Edit 2: Use the alternate CWM recovery to do a nandroid backup, then after a complete reinstall with a new image, etc, and everything is working right, you can restore just /data and see if things are still ok.
4th March 2012, 08:38 PM |#1670  

More
maybe you've missed my post as I said above that I did start over from scratch AND I did use Eyeballer CM9, not Sammie303.
Also, since I run CM9 from uSD, I have no intend flashing or installing CwMR, assumingly into eMMC, just verygreen's.
4th March 2012, 08:44 PM |#1671  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

maybe you've missed my post as I said above that I did start over from scratch AND I did use Eyeballer CM9, not Sammie303.
Also, since I run CM9 from uSD, I have no intend flashing or installing CwMR, assumingly into eMMC, just verygreen's.

No I did not miss that you had started from scratch, but I thought that that was when you started having problems. You said you were able to put my manual file and it worked. Now you say you can put nothing there (after the start from scratch). So that's why I suggested you start again, obviously something changed to have all permissions set to 000. And I was only suggesting that those problems might be due to corruption in downloading the files you needed to start from scratch.

And the alternate CWM recovery has been modified to only do things to the SD install, not emmc. You install it on SD as an alternate boot. It can backup and restore, clear cache, etc., all just for SD install users. The only thing it can't do is flash an ordinary nightly to SD. You still still need to use verygreen's script to do that.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)