FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOWTO] Installing the unlocked bootloader and fixing broken recovery in leaked ICS

229 posts
Thanks Meter: 46

By jm77, Senior Member on 28th February 2012, 09:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd March 2012, 03:59 AM |#11  
Flag Long Beach, CA
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Thanks for the help.
3rd March 2012, 06:16 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaworski

Install new recovery with fastboot. Boot into Android normally and connect it to PC with Android SDK (you need working adb and fastboot commands).

Check if adb sees your device:

Code:
adb devices
Boot into bootloader:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
If you haven't been in bootloader mode before you might need to install fastboot drivers (from ACER Drivers for example).

Check if fastboot sees your device:
Code:
fastboot devices
My a500 didn't return its ID so fastboot is showing a device with "?" instead of ID. It is ok.

Install new recovery (here it is in recovery.img file, change it to yours):
Code:
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot
When device will be booting just hold Volume Down like always to get into recovery.

You can also test and boot recovery.img directly from PC with fastboot:
Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img
You can test with fastboot boot command as it doesn't overwrite anything in device's flash. It downloads boot image (like recovery.img or boot.img into RAM and runs it from there).

Thank you, yaworski

For a mysterious reason the only way to boot in CWM recovery mode on my a500 is passing by your last command

Code:
The classical "volume-/power" method brings me to the "dead android man" with the exclamation mark... Same thing if I use the "Acer recovery" app.
In others words, the only way to open the recovery is passing by the bootloader and the fastboot commands...

Any idea for the reason of that?
3rd March 2012, 06:17 PM |#13  
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 262

Donate to Me
More
So should the odmdata in the bat file be 0x300d8011 or 0xb00d8011. It has 0x300d8011, but i saw another post where it should match was EUU uses as 0xb00d8011.

Thanks.
3rd March 2012, 07:09 PM |#14  
Flag Lake George, MI
Thanks Meter: 92

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by castafiore

Thank you, yaworski

For a mysterious reason the only way to boot in CWM recovery mode on my a500 is passing by your last command

Code:
The classical "volume-/power" method brings me to the "dead android man" with the exclamation mark... Same thing if I use the "Acer recovery" app.
In others words, the only way to open the recovery is passing by the bootloader and the fastboot commands...

Any idea for the reason of that?

it's because you didn't delete recovery-from-boot.p from /system and it's reflashing stock recovery whenever you boot into android
The Following User Says Thank You to strra For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift strra Ad-Free
3rd March 2012, 07:21 PM |#15  
Flag Dallas, TX
Thanks Meter: 262

Donate to Me
More
I want to make a backup of my current EBT before I try flashing this new one. When I enter APX mode (reset button + power), I get "Acer Picasso USB Boot-recovery driver" listed in my device manager.

Then I issue the command (i blanked out most of my SBK here).

Code:
nvflash --read 4 myboot.img --sbk 0x8E000006 0x9C000001 0x22000002 0xF0000002 --sync
I've tried different flags like --bct --odmdate --configuration but i always get:

Code:
Nvflash started
rcm version 0X4
Command send failed (usb write failed)
Following that, the device dissappears from my windows device manager.

I've also tried the first command from run.bat with both odmdata values
Code:
nvflash --bct bct.bct --setbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile flash.cfg --odmdata 0xb00d8011 --sbk 0x8E000006 0x9C000001 0x22000002 0xF0000002 --sync

nvflash --bct bct.bct --setbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile flash.cfg --odmdata 0x300d8011 --sbk 0x8E000006 0x9C000001 0x22000002 0xF0000002 --sync
Both of these give the error message same message.

Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Also, just tried the run.bat as is (well.. i removed the "cls" so the screen woudln't blank. Get the same error..

Code:
C:\Users\james\Downloads\bootloader>run
   *        This will boot your A500 into bootloader mode,        *
   *   flash patched bootloader V2, and flash Thor Recovery 1.7   *

*   Before executing, be sure to delete recovery-from-boot.p   *
   *          from /system to ensure recovery will stick          *

*   Reboot your tablet into APX mode   *

Generate your SBK with your CPUID from here : http://vache-android.com/v1/index.
php?site=sbk
Enter your SBK:0x8E000006 0x9C000001 0x22000002 0xF0000002

Loading bootloader...
Nvflash started
rcm version 0X4
Command send failed (usb write failed)
   *   Press any key when your A500 is in bootloader mode   *
Press any key to continue . . .
3rd March 2012, 10:20 PM |#16  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by strra

it's because you didn't delete recovery-from-boot.p from /system and it's reflashing stock recovery whenever you boot into android

Thank you, strra.

I suspected it, to be honest, since I've noticed this advice when I launched the run.bat

But, my question has been/is still now: how to remove this "recovery-from-boot.p" ?

Can it be done when in APX mode? Do the adb commands work in APX mode?
3rd March 2012, 10:59 PM |#17  
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by castafiore

Thank you, strra.

I suspected it, to be honest, since I've noticed this advice when I launched the run.bat

But, my question has been/is still now: how to remove this "recovery-from-boot.p" ?

Can it be done when in APX mode? Do the adb commands work in APX mode?

While in Android you need to remount your /system partition as writable and just delete the file with rm command . If you didn't replaced your boot.img yet with patched one, just use
Code:
fastboot boot boot.img
command where boot.img is patched kernel, then wait until Android is started (it will run on patched kernel from ram like with recovery).

When you run on patched kernel and you use adb shell then you will have root from the beginning. Then just use
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system
and you can remove the file.
3rd March 2012, 11:58 PM |#18  

More
Thanks for your quick and clear answer, yaworski

Booting on this patched boot.img is the trick.
4th March 2012, 04:30 PM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
fastboot boot recovery.img doesnt work for me, and i'm no able to mount rw to delete the recovery-from-boot.p. what can i do now??? i'm stuck in this leak version...
4th March 2012, 05:59 PM |#20  
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by querobolo

fastboot boot recovery.img doesnt work for me, and i'm no able to mount rw to delete the recovery-from-boot.p. what can i do now??? i'm stuck in this leak version...

Did you flash the patched bootloader in APX mode using nvflash? Because all above instructions work only on unlocked and patched bootloader with "secure" flag off.
4th March 2012, 06:45 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
are u talking about the pached bootloader from this topic (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...?t=1514951)???
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)