I found the solution on another forum (GalaxyTDM's post) and I wanted to share it over here because it's a PITA.
1. None of the wifi toggle buttons work to turn on wifi.
2. When examining the wifi settings, the status will show either "Error" or "Turning on..."
3. If it sits on "Turning on..." for any longer that 2 minutes, it will probably stay in that state.
4. If it changes to status of "Error," it may work after several times attempting to turn it back on from the settings screen.
1. Memory is low on the device. Examining the RAM Manager, one can see less than about 45MB free of memory. This apparently is preventing the wifi from starting. Either that, or there is some other program or setting that has crept in and needs to be killed.
I found this to be the case on my device, memory was hovering at about 40MB free and wifi was sitting on status "Turning on..."
1. Go into the RAM Manager and do a level 1 clear of the memory. If that doesn't do it, do a level 2 clear.
After I did a level 2 clear, about 80MB of memory was freed and wifi immediately connected and I saw the icon on the status bar.
Hope this helps.