[GUIDE][N00B]Step-By-Step ROOT/Update/ROM Instructions + 902 Update Info (5/18/12)

Which ROM did you install?

• Kin3tix

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • Eclipse

Votes: 121 70.8%
  • Liberty

Votes: 25 14.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Southern_mind

Mar 22, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Wow you have to do all that... crazy! I'm coming from an HTC Thunderbolt and is so much simple. One click root and s-off with an unlocked bootloader. I'm wondering if i made the right choice now.

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
Cheese with that Whine?

Wow you have to do all that... crazy! I'm coming from an HTC Thunderbolt and is so much simple. One click root and s-off with an unlocked bootloader. I'm wondering if i made the right choice now.

Are you crying? Help me out Tom Hanks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZMO8jhbwg
There's no crying!

This is a one-click root. It's very easy - see step 11, I've just broken it down into very detailed steps for clarity. These directions also cover installing custom recovery, ROMs, themes, backup & restore, and tethering. But hey, if you want to go back to the Tbolt no one's going to stop you. Just don't whine in my thread! Try this: follow directions, come back, and post 'wow I can't believe how easy that was'.

Last edited:
Reactions: FastKatt317

haupman

May 4, 2011
Has anyone rooted just to overclock and install Webtop2SD and the WebBuntu Mod? I don't want to install any custom ROMs because I don't want to put any effort in reverting back to stock when OTA updates are released.

idivorceyou

Mar 24, 2011
Hi and thanks.

I just read all the posts to find an answer to what should be an easy one.

I am on .901, rooted, running Eclipse 2.1

It is extremely stable and fast.

Being a geek, I want to get to .902 and Eclipse 2.2

I use bootstrap and do not want to install safestrap.

If I want to go from rooted .901 to rooted .902, do I just flash the 901 -> 902 update in stock recovery as "apply update"???

If so, this is a very easy thing.

otherwise, I am reluctant to go through a whole "go backwards to stock 893 so you can go forwards" thing, which is fraught with opportunities to brick.

thanks

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
Hi and thanks.

Being a geek, I want to get to .902 and Eclipse 2.2

I use bootstrap and do not want to install safestrap.

If I want to go from rooted .901 to rooted .902, do I just flash the 901 -> 902 update in stock recovery as "apply update"???

If so, this is a very easy thing. otherwise, I am reluctant to go through a whole "go backwards to stock 893 so you can go forwards" thing, which is fraught with opportunities to brick.

You must be on a completely stock system to use a patch to upgrade to .902. Eclipse isn't a stock system, and it won't work (try it if you don't believe me, nothing bad will happen). If you have a nandroid backup of your stock system (why wouldn't you?) you can restore in Bionic bootstrap and go from there. Your other option is to get an FXZ and go straight to 902 that way.

You can try using dhacker29's 902 pathsaver script which should push the 902 FXZ automatically. See the link in the OP.

Honestly, you have to do something really stupid to brick this phone. Stupid things include not following directions, or following directions dated September 2011. Eventually you're going to have to get on 902 one way or the other, so read up and take the plunge.

Finally, I don't know why you don't want to use SafeStrap. You wouldn't be in this boat if you were using it. #justsayin

Reactions: idivorceyou

idivorceyou

Mar 24, 2011
Thanks. I just downloaded the 902 pathsaver and will cross my fingers and try it tonight.

As to safestrap, I dunno. Just seems like one more thing for me to screw up. It looks like it adds 20 extra steps to everything.

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
Thanks. I just downloaded the 902 pathsaver and will cross my fingers and try it tonight.

As to safestrap, I dunno. Just seems like one more thing for me to screw up. It looks like it adds 20 extra steps to everything.

This tool is brand new. Try it, it is what you want.

Pathsaver doesn't add any extra steps to anything. It is essentially the same as Bionic Bootstrap, but it includes an extra option to protect your stock system.

jake1066

Feb 26, 2012
This is a one-click root. It's very easy - see step 11, I've just broken it down into very detailed steps for clarity. These directions also cover installing custom recovery, ROMs, themes, backup & restore, and tethering. But hey, if you want to go back to the Tbolt no one's going to stop you. Just don't whine in my thread! Try this: follow directions, come back, and post 'wow I can't believe how easy that was'.

It really is easy. This is coming from a guy that has never even rooted before and now I am running eclipse 2.2 thanks to your guide.

Thank you tuck for your clear step by step guide that made this painless for even a noob like me.

Reactions: Tucknology

jmshupin

Jul 24, 2010
Just followed your instructions and it worked quickly and flawlessly coming from .902, you sir, tuckmobile, are a scholar and a gentleman

Last edited:

rtfelt

Oct 27, 2011
Mission Viejo
Worked on bionic

Thank you. Thank you, you are the man. I had rooted my bionic right after getting it in September 2011, but then with the automatic updates, I lost root and was unable to get it back. This guide worked perfectly.

I would like to give a "thanks" to tuckmobile but don't know how. Some help?

Does "forever root" still work with the new updates? If not, is there another app out there to ensure I don't loose root with the new updates?

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
Thank you. Thank you, you are the man. I had rooted my bionic right after getting it in September 2011, but then with the automatic updates, I lost root and was unable to get it back. This guide worked perfectly.

I would like to give a "thanks" to tuckmobile but don't know how. Some help?

Does "forever root" still work with the new updates? If not, is there another app out there to ensure I don't loose root with the new updates?

Hey rtfelt I'm really glad you enjoyed the guide. "Forever root" is now deprecated (out of date), and you can now use the root method in the OP and you'll be all set. This root method works with all the updates that have been released thus far. It's hard to know if it will work in future updates (crystal ball is hazy) but I'm sure if this method stops working someone will come up with a new one.

Looks like you figured out how to hit the Thanks button. I appreciate it. **This close** to 100! And check it out: I've made it to Spain!

GreenLanternX

Feb 3, 2012
Earth
Has anyone had any issues with the update phone in the settings. I clicked on it just to see what would happen and all I get is a white screen. I'm on the 902 update with Eclipse ROM. Just curious if this is happening to anyone else or just me.

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
Has anyone had any issues with the update phone in the settings. I clicked on it just to see what would happen and all I get is a white screen. I'm on the 902 update with Eclipse ROM. Just curious if this is happening to anyone else or just me.

Update won't work if you're on a custom ROM. This is expected behavior.

I believe that nitro removed the update software from his eclipse ROM to save on resources. That may explain your white screen.

Good news is 902 is the latest version so update isn't necessary for you.

scarinu10

Mar 13, 2012
i wanted to be the one to give you your 100th thanks, just got done with eclipse.... now just trying to figure out the step by step to flash a custom theme to this rom

however i can't find the thanks button ( i even followed directions for the noob thanks button) def not there, must be because i just created my acccount... your now the reason i'm a member of xda

EDIT: found the thanks button. 100th proud sir :) thank you so much

Last edited:

ikeman82

Jun 1, 2008
FAIL

I must have done something wrong. I just tried to install eclipse, all it would do for an hour is play the boot animation over and over. Had to pull the battery and to a restore of my back up. I am so new at this and want to be so much better.

I have a Motorola Bionic

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
i wanted to be the one to give you your 100th thanks, just got done with eclipse.... 100th proud sir :) thank you so much

W00T!!! 100! Thanks everyone. Enjoy the flashing.

I must have done something wrong. I just tried to install eclipse, all it would do for an hour is play the boot animation over and over. Had to pull the battery and to a restore of my back up. I am so new at this and want to be so much better.

I have a Motorola Bionic

Well, the good news is you have a Bionic, so you got step 1 right ;) Which step did you skip? If I had to guess, you didn't format system or wipe data. Am I right? Don't give up, it works! Try again, follow directions, let me know what happens.

scarinu10

Mar 13, 2012
Tuck. Just ran into a small issue. There was a 4g lte outage in my area this morning... but i didnt know that. So i went back into unsafe mode to check 4g there.... i went to safe system boot, toogle safe system... verified it was off... all went well... went to go back to unsafe by the same process and restore failed.... ran it again then original backup failed... went to reboot and it was factory reset... lost all apps minus super user... its still there. I still have .902 and android 2.3.4. Where do i go from here so i dont screw up more

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is out of date and has been deprecated.

Please visit the link below for up-to-date information.

http://www.droidhive.com/forums/ind...-2233-235-find-out-here-download-links-in-op/
    902 Update Instructions

NEW! Introduction
    The following instructions are only for people who already followed my guide above. They are confirmed to work for users of Eclipse and Kin3tix 1.0, and if you try it with Liberty please inform me of your results.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for anything that you do to anything. Period.

Prerequisites
    • Windows
    • 901 system already installed
    • Safestrap
    • At least 2GB free on internal sd card (EMMC partition)
    • At least 4GB free on external sd card (you can move old backups onto your PC to make room if necessary)

!!! - ONLY PROCEED WITH A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY - !!!​

Instructions
    1) This step has been removed. Proceed to step 2.
    2) Download 901 -> 902 update and place it on your external SD card. Don't unzip it. Credit: FantomPhlasher @ DroidForums
    Optional Step: If you are using Eclipse 2.1 RC1 now is a good time to update to Eclipse 2.2 Official. Download it onto your SD card now. Credit: Nitroglycerin33 @ EclipseRom.com
    3) Backup any important/critical app data (e.g. sync calendar, export settings in launcher).
    3) Reboot system, and then press MENU to enter safestrap recovery mode (touch button with four squares, to the left of the home button). Green menu = good.
    4) Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup. I don't see the need for backing up the primary system or webtop since they will shortly be updated. Your choice. I'm paranoid so I made two backups, one with and one without those options. I recommend saving the backup to the external SD card so safestrap has room to operate on the internal card in subsequent steps. The backup will be saved in \Safestrap\Backup.
    5) Select "++++Go Back++++" to return to the main recovery menu.
    6) Go to the "safe boot menu".
    7) Select "Toggle Safe System". Wait a little bit.
    8) Select "+++++Go Back+++++", verify that "Safe System is: DISABLED", and then "reboot system now".
    9) Allow stock system to settle if you haven't used it in a while. Make sure to update your apps, especially Superuser. To do this manually, go to the market app, then press the menu key, and go to "My Apps". Update everything. Superuser gave me an error to update, so I uninstalled it then reinstalled.
    10) Shutdown phone.
    11) Hold down BOTH volume buttons, and press the power button. This will boot you into stock recovery.
    12) Select "Recovery" in the menu. (Beware the weird method of navigating the menu. To select Recovery press volume down, then volume up).
    13) At the fancy logo, press BOTH volume buttons.
    14) Go to "Apply Update" then select the 902 Update from step # above. (Navigate up/down with the volume keys and use the power button for enter.) The update will take a while.
    15) Pay attention to progress. Note any error messages carefully If you modified/debloated/icon-changed/whatever your stock system you won't pass this stage. You'll have to try something fancier. Seek help elsewhere if this is you.
    16) Reboot phone and allow stock to boot. Notice safestrap is gone. This will take longer than usual.
    17) Verify system version (Settings -> About Phone).
    18) Use Root Checker Basic from the market to verify you are rooted.
    19) Start the safestrap app (from your list of apps) and press the "Install Recovery" button. This will reinstall safestrap.
    20) Reboot system, and then press MENU to enter safestrap recovery mode (touch button with four squares, to the left of the home button). Green menu = good.
    21) Go to "backup and restore" and make a backup of your stock 902 system. I recommend backing up the webtop, and saving the backup to the external SD card so safestrap has room to operate on the internal card in subsequent steps. The backup will be saved in \Safestrap\Backup.
    22) Go to the "safe boot menu".
    23) Select "Toggle Safe System". Wait a little bit.
    24) Select "+++++Go Back+++++", and verify that "Safe System is: ENABLED".
    25) Select "Wipe cache partition".
    26) Now go to the "Advanced" menu and select "Wipe Dalvik Cache".
    Optional Steps: If you are upgrading to Eclipse 2.2 Official.
    A) Select "+++Go Back+++" to return to the main menu.
    B) Select "Install zip from sdcard". DON'T GO TO "apply update from sdcard".
    C) Select "choose zip from sdcard" and find the ROM .zip file. DON'T GO TO "apply /sdcard/update.zip".
    D) If you are coming from Liberty or Kin3tix, select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" in the main menu. Don't do this if you are coming from Eclipse 2.1 RC1.​
    27) Finally, select "+++Go Back+++" to return to the main recovery menu and select "power off".
    28) Wait for power down to finish, then restart your bionic. Be patient, the first boot takes unusually long.
    29) If your ROM doesn't work, you can try the "Wide Data/Factory Reset" option, or you can install the newest Eclipse, or you can just use stock.

PLEASE CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU
    I assume you are trying to enable the safesystem? Make sure you have sufficient free space on your internal sd card?

Well what I did was uninstall safestrap delete the safestrap folder in my sd and the safestrap folder in internal storage. Installed safestrap again and was able to enable safesystem.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Forever-root was only relevant because, previously, 901 and 902 were not rootable. You had to forever-root an older version (like 893), then upgrade to 901/902. Now, the Motofail method works on any system version, so 43v3r r00t is no longer necessary.

Yeah.

And thanks for including tehRoot in the guide, I didn't expect it to get thousands of downloads.

I see you marked it deprecated, thanks!

If I have enough free time, I'm going to see if I can write up a GUI for all of this, but don't take that as a promise.
    Tuck..Great instructions. Anyone able to root using their laptop? -eye__dea

I rooted mine fine using a laptop with Windows 7 32bit Enterprise and Tehsusenoh's method.