The "all-in-one-location" XDA Skyrocket General Info/Root Method/Kernel/ROM Thread!

Search This thread

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
I have a bundle of info about how to do things on my android device but I try to research and find the answers as best as possible before I ask a stupid question. I have a SGSII Skyrocket and I see there are custom kernels to overclock my device. Every set of instructions I found state to wipe the cache and then select the wipe delvik option. When I get my skyrocket into downloader mode I get the wipe cache option but then the only other choices are install from sd card and wipe data\factory reset. Is there something I'm missing?

I added screenshots of my system info to answer more technical questions I know I failed to address. Thanks!

EDIT: My phone is also rooted.

Wipe dalvik is under the advanced section, and its not in download mode its in CWM

Reactions: j2thar1st

j2thar1st

Nov 2, 2008
White Plains, NY
Wipe dalvik is under the advanced section, and its not in download mode its in CWM

Ok I have the advanced mode checked in CWM but I don't see an advanced section. Am I missing something? (I have CWM premium)

yup, u have to flash CWM through Odin first, then u can flash kernels/roms/radios

Could you explain a bit on that? Would I be selecting the PDA option and and getting my phone in downloader mode the way I had to when I recovered it from a soft brick? (I apologize if I'm asking stupid/noob questions. I have been searching through tons of threads and it gets a bit overwhelming trying to find the exact info I'm seeking.)

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
Ok I have the advanced mode checked in CWM but I don't see an advanced section. Am I missing something? (I have CWM premium)

Could you explain a bit on that? Would I be selecting the PDA option and and getting my phone in downloader mode the way I had to when I recovered it from a soft brick? (I apologize if I'm asking stupid/noob questions. I have been searching through tons of threads and it gets a bit overwhelming trying to find the exact info I'm seeking.)

You are all sorts of screwed up buddy. You use odin to root and install cwm to your phone. After that you are all done with odin. You access CWM with your phone, not your computer.

You use this to root your phone and install CWM. There are other methods, but I have only used odin. Here it is:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1340526

After following that you will have super user, CWM, and you will be rooted. To access CWM you power down your phone. Ok, phone is off, now you hold volume up, volume down, and the power button all at the same time. When the samsung logo appears release the power button but keep both volume keys pressed until CWM screen comes on. From there you will find all the options you need.

If you are already rooted and have CWM installed on your phone, skip the whole lecture on odin and proceed to power down and holding the buttons. Hopefully this helps you. Make sure you read everything and understand it first, you sound really confused, brother. Hope this helps.

skrambled

Mar 2, 2011
New Hampshire

If you're talking about checcking Advanced Mode that means you have the ROM Manager app installed. You don't need to use Odin as stated above to get cwm (Clockwork Mod Recovery is CWM--you're calling rom manager cwm which is not correct). You already have superuser (shown in your screen shot) so you don't need to use the Odin method.

Go to rom manager and flash Clcockwork Mod Recovery through the app (it's the first option at the top). Select the T-Mobile version of SGS2 (don't worry, works fine). Then you will have cwm. You get into cwm by powering off your phone, then holding volume down and volume up at the same time while holding the power button.

DO NOT use ROM Manager to download and flash custom roms. The roms you can download through rom manager are meant for the T-Mobile variant of our phone and could bork your phone. Only flash roms through cwm recovery and only flash roms/kernels etc that are made for this device--found in the development forum here on xda.

Sounds like you have some reading to do before you try this though so you don't mess up your phone. Follow instructions closely for any rom you're going to flash. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

Last edited:

j2thar1st

Nov 2, 2008
White Plains, NY
If you're talking about checcking Advanced Mode that means you have the ROM Manager app installed. You don't need to use Odin as stated above to get cwm (Clockwork Mod Recovery is CWM--you're calling rom manager cwm which is not correct). You already have superuser (shown in your screen shot) so you don't need to use the Odin method.

Go to rom manager and flash Clcockwork Mod Recovery through the app (it's the first option at the top). Select the T-Mobile version of SGS2 (don't worry, works fine). Then you will have cwm. You get into cwm by powering off your phone, then holding volume down and volume up at the same time while holding the power button.

DO NOT use ROM Manager to download and flash custom roms. The roms you can download through rom manager are meant for the T-Mobile variant of our phone and could bork your phone. Only flash roms through cwm recovery and only flash roms/kernels etc that are made for this device--found in the development forum here on xda.

Sounds like you have some reading to do before you try this though so you don't mess up your phone. Follow instructions closely for any rom you're going to flash. Good luck!

Funny thing I wound up pressing on and flashed some custom kernels and even tried a custom ROM (ICS 2.3.5) and have the phone running beautifully @ 1.83 ghz. I even ran a few benchmark test and bestest at around 7000. The ICS ROM was flashed but didn't change anything on my end. * shrugs* I also flashed the GPS script and that works wonderfully. I'll add some screenshots when I get to my PC. I appreciate the info and help and yes you're right I definitely have a ton of reading ahead if me lol.

j2thar1st

Nov 2, 2008
White Plains, NY
You are all sorts of screwed up buddy. You use odin to root and install cwm to your phone. After that you are all done with odin. You access CWM with your phone, not your computer.

You use this to root your phone and install CWM. There are other methods, but I have only used odin. Here it is:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1340526

After following that you will have super user, CWM, and you will be rooted. To access CWM you power down your phone. Ok, phone is off, now you hold volume up, volume down, and the power button all at the same time. When the samsung logo appears release the power button but keep both volume keys pressed until CWM screen comes on. From there you will find all the options you need.

If you are already rooted and have CWM installed on your phone, skip the whole lecture on odin and proceed to power down and holding the buttons. Hopefully this helps you. Make sure you read everything and understand it first, you sound really confused, brother. Hope this helps.

Yeah I rooted my phone when I first bought it back in December but was having issues trying to re-root after a failed flash attempt. I learned of the soft brick condition and re-flashed a stock att ROM (tar) back onto my phone using Odin a couple nights ago. I had all the pieces but the literature was confusing me and the terminology being used interchangeably contributed to me feeling like I wasn't comprehending something I should've. Thanks for your help and info. I apprecir it.

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
Yeah I rooted my phone when I first bought it back in December but was having issues trying to re-root after a failed flash attempt. I learned of the soft brick condition and re-flashed a stock att ROM (tar) back onto my phone using Odin a couple nights ago. I had all the pieces but the literature was confusing me and the terminology being used interchangeably contributed to me feeling like I wasn't comprehending something I should've. Thanks for your help and info. I apprecir it.

You're welcome! Are you still needing help, or are you gonna read up for a bit? I don't know what you mean that you flashed stuff and nothing is changing on your end?

j2thar1st

Nov 2, 2008
White Plains, NY
You're welcome! Are you still needing help, or are you gonna read up for a bit? I don't know what you mean that you flashed stuff and nothing is changing on your end?

Of all the zip files I had flashed (agps patch, overclock kernel, ice cream sandwich ROM) the only one that didn't really didn't work/change anything for me was the ics ROM that I tried. It did however remove the AT&T splash screen and replaced it with a cool looking one with "android" in blue. I can live with that but for all my trials and tribulations I now have a phone running @ 1.83ghz stable. I tried to upload some screenshots through this App but kept getting "incorrect format" errors. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my explanation in the previous post. And thanks for your help again!

Reactions: xcrazydx

j2thar1st

Nov 2, 2008
White Plains, NY
I finally got to my PC to upload the screen shoots

I tried to get the Sky ICS ROM installed on my phone but all I got was the splash screen change.

EDIT: At 1.86 Ghz I was able to run my phone for the most part but it wasn't stable enough to run a benchmark test. I also ran it @ 1.8 Ghz with a higher score (6998) but forgot to take a screenshot.

Attachments

• SC20120309-104213.jpg
    SC20120309-104213.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 105
  • SC20120309-104235.jpg
    SC20120309-104235.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 102
  • SC20120309-104608.jpg
    SC20120309-104608.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 111
  • SC20120310-030601.jpg
    SC20120310-030601.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 104
  • SC20120309-104600.jpg
    SC20120309-104600.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
Of all the zip files I had flashed (agps patch, overclock kernel, ice cream sandwich ROM) the only one that didn't really didn't work/change anything for me was the ics ROM that I tried. It did however remove the AT&T splash screen and replaced it with a cool looking one with "android" in blue. I can live with that but for all my trials and tribulations I now have a phone running @ 1.83ghz stable. I tried to upload some screenshots through this App but kept getting "incorrect format" errors. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my explanation in the previous post. And thanks for your help again!

I finally got to my PC to upload the screen shoots

I tried to get the Sky ICS ROM installed on my phone but all I got was the splash screen change.

EDIT: At 1.86 Ghz I was able to run my phone for the most part but it wasn't stable enough to run a benchmark test. I also ran it @ 1.8 Ghz with a higher score (6998) but forgot to take a screenshot.

Are you doing a full wipe and installing in the proper order? And it most likely wont run stable at 1.8.It will probably crash and reboot randomly. I think you are flashing in the wrong order or not wiping properly. Post your procedure for flashing all these items in numbered steps.

such as:

1) I booted into CWM
2) I flashed darksides super wipe script
3) I wiped dalvik cache
4) I installed ics rom
etc........

Last edited:

j2thar1st

Nov 2, 2008
White Plains, NY
Are you doing a full wipe and installing in the proper order? And it most likely wont run stable at 1.8.It will probably crash and reboot randomly. I think you are flashing in the wrong order or not wiping properly. Post your procedure for flashing all these items in numbered steps.

such as:

1) I booted into CWM
3) I wiped dalvik cache
4) I installed ics rom
etc........

I did steps 1, 3, and 4.....didn't notice the super wipe script :eek: However I am only noticing that random crashing @ 1.86 and at 1.83 if i change my min processor speed to 192 mhz. Otherwise it runs like a champ. Maybe I lucked out.

Last edited:

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
I did steps 1, 3, and 4.....didn't notice the super wipe script :eek: However I am only noticing that random crashing @ 1.86 and at 1.83 if i change my min processor speed to 192 mhz. Otherwise it runs like a champ. Maybe I lucked out.

But what order are you flashing the rom, kernel, and other mods you are adding. From what you said I gathered what you meant was that the rom did not flash correctly?

j2thar1st

Nov 2, 2008
White Plains, NY

such as:

1) I booted into CWM
3) I wiped dalvik cache
4) I installed ics rom
etc........

Well I guess I jinxed myself. My phone went into a deep sleep mode and removal and reinsertion of the battery brought it back. I restored it to a previous backup and now it seems to be way smoother and responds well to a minimum processor speed of 192mhz and now has a Max of 1.78 ghz

j2thar1st

Nov 2, 2008
White Plains, NY
Man, you are doing it all wrong. You need to do a lot of reading, I don't wanna see you brick.

Ok just so that I'm clear the steps should be as follows

1. Flash kernel
2. Flash ROM
3. Flash Script if not part of kernel

?

Been reading tons of threads and despite all the noob threads I never saw where it said to flash those three components in which particular order. I currently have the Da_G kernel with updated script on stockish ROM. I wanted to go to the Sky ICS ROM with Sky Ultimate kernel and the GideonX script. Any tips as to how I should proceed?

EDIT: Not trying to be a pain just want to make sure I am doing things correctly

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
Ok just so that I'm clear the steps should be as follows

1. Flash kernel
2. Flash ROM
3. Flash Script if not part of kernel

?

Been reading tons of threads and despite all the noob threads I never saw where it said to flash those three components in which particular order. I currently have the Da_G kernel with updated script on stockish ROM. I wanted to go to the Sky ICS ROM with Sky Ultimate kernel and the GideonX script. Any tips as to how I should proceed?

EDIT: Not trying to be a pain just want to make sure I am doing things correctly

No.

Flash ROM, then the kernel(if you dont want the kernel the ROM includes, or the rom doesn't include one). Then after reboot and you let the cache build and settle for a bit, setup the phone. Then boot back into CWM and flash any addons you want(ie battery, theme, etc.)

Top Liked Posts