Having said that... this is THE EASIEST way to change the Carrier Name in CM9, CM7, and MIUI on the Triumph.
This will NOT work on stock FROYO!
1. Download flashable Zip at end of post -- triumph_cm7_miui_carrier_name.zip
2. Open the Zip file and extract the eri.xml file in /data/ to your desktop using a zip utility such as WinZip, 7-zip, etc.
3. Open the eri.xml file in your favorite text editor such as notepad++.
4. In LINE 7, change Virgin Mobile in Eritext="Virgin Mobile" to whatever text you want, for example:
<EriInfo RoamingIndicator="1" IconIndex="1" IconMode="0" EriText="I am AWESOME" CallPromptId="0" AlertId="0" />
Character Reference & & < < > > " " ' '
The following are 3 methods of updating your phone. Use whichever method you are most comfortable with.
A. Using the flashable zip and flashing in CWM.
1. Add the updated eri.xml back into the /data folder in the triumph_cm7_miui_carrier_name.zip -- make sure that you use "no compression" or "store" when adding it back.
2. Save the triumph_cm7_miui_carrier_name.zip on your sdcard.
3. Reboot into CWM and flash the zip file as usual.
B. Using ES File Explorer, Root Explorer, or another file explorer capable of root. (In the instructions below, I'll reference ES File Explorer since that is what I use but the instructions should be similar for any of the file explorers.)
1. Copy the updated eri.xml file onto your sd card.
2. On your phone, open up ES File Explorer.
Make sure that you have your settings set to mount the file system as writable:
2a. In ES File Explorer, hit menu --> Settings.
2b. Make sure there is a checkmark in the following checkboxes: "Root Explorer" and "Mount File System".
3. In ES File Explorer, browse to your sd card where you saved the eri.xml file.
4. Long press on eri.xml to bring up the popup menu.
5. Select Copy.
6. Next, browse to /data/. To do that, click the Favorites button on the toolbar and select the / from the Favorites popup window and then go into /data/.
7. Hit the Menu button on your phone and select Operations --> Paste.
8. You should now see the eri.xml file in your /data/ folder.
9. Close out of ES File Explorer.
10. Toggle Airplane Mode on and then off. When your service comes back, the carrier name should reflect your new Carrier name text. If not, reboot your phone.
C. Using ADB. The following instructions are for windows but you should be able to do the same in any other OS.
1. This assumes that the updated eri.xml file is on your desktop as I instructed above and you already have your phone connected to your computer. Open the command line in Windows.
2. type the following commands:
cd %userprofile%\desktop adb push eri.xml /data/eri.xml
If you are uncomfortable using adb or don't have it installed or don't know what it is, then I'd recommend using method A or B.
To UNDO all changes:
This is SUPER EASY:
1. Using ES File Explorer, browse to /data/
2. Delete the eri.xml file.
3. Toggle Airplane Mode on and then off. When your service comes back, the carrier name should reflect your original Carrier name text. If not, reboot your phone.