[TIPS][GB & ICS] ★ Battery Saving TIPS Collection™ ★

Search This thread
I remember we are able on some Chinese tablets to change power consumption of Wifi component. I'll check this out if I have some time, but it might be interesting to do so on SG2 :)

Also, if some extra-terrestrial people are using Galaxy S2 without any cellphone providing (no SIM, etc... only using Wifi/Bluetooth), you will gain hours by deleting/renaming phone.apk.

Don't do this if you use cellphone providing ! You'll lose phone (I don't know if you keep VoIP function), cellular data, etc etc.

Also, dunno if it's already stated by AndroidGX or somewhere else in the post, but it's interesting on some roms to use Smartassv2 profile (ie on CM7.1) and create SetCPU profile for screen off 100Mhz min - 200 MHz max (on underclocked kernels, like Siyahahahahah) :)

Reactions: AndroidGX

AndroidGX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
★ Montpellier ★
I remember we are able on some Chinese tablets to change power consumption of Wifi component. I'll check this out if I have some time, but it might be interesting to do so on SG2 :)
As far as I can remember, at that time is to undervolt wifi component, I saw this on "Phenomenal" kernel.
*edit* : can't see anymore this information on the original thread, so I guess it's been removed or my brain was burned or something :p

Also, if some extra-terrestrial people are using Galaxy S2 without any cellphone providing (no SIM, etc... only using Wifi/Bluetooth), you will gain hours by deleting/renaming phone.apk.

Don't do this if you use cellphone providing ! You'll lose phone (I don't know if you keep VoIP function), cellular data, etc etc.
Be careful about Phone apk, should NOT be removed since it's critical one (cf. here at line "Phone.apk"), I don't recommand this at all.

Also, dunno if it's already stated by AndroidGX or somewhere else in the post, but it's interesting on some roms to use Smartassv2 profile (ie on CM7.1) and create SetCPU profile for screen off 100Mhz min - 200 MHz max (on underclocked kernels, like Siyahahahahah) :)
I can remember using smartass (the first version) on my sold galaxy tab first gen (which I enjoyed pretty much btw :p) it really was a nice gov, which saved me a lot of battery, but governor's depends highly of each devices, here also we cannot say there is one governor to govern them all :D, as always it depends of each people, their needs, etc. I tested smartassv2 and was dissapointed by it surely because of Siyah's kernel. That's why I don't use it anymore, this kernel drains a lot of battery, generally speaking. At that time the best kernel I should recommand is NEAK 1.4x, with every options to save battery enabled since you will not lost any performance thought. Would be nice to see smartassv2 gov into NEAK one day :) (starved to test).

Last edited:
Be careful about Phone apk, should NOT be removed since it's critical one (cf. here at line "Phone.apk"), I don't recommand this at all.

+1, it should not be removed (especially on Samsung roms, it is probably linked with TouchWiz). On my father's tablet (a Chinese MID 7" 799ca) you can remove phone.apk : causes no problem (!) and heavily enhance battery.
I suppose so you *might* remove it from any vanilla rom (no rom with overlay UI, it will make framework.jar crazy lol), but the main idea remains the same : phone functionnality (phone, data...) is one of the most draining stuff on our devices.

As AndroidGX said, if some newbie read this : do not remove phone.apk, ESPECIALLY if you don't know what you're doing. This is for testers/devs and suicide people. It will make you gain lots of baterry at the cost of misc FC and... woops I can't phone anymore with my phone :D

AndroidGX

Jun 24, 2010
★ Montpellier ★
+1, it should not be removed (especially on Samsung roms, it is probably linked with TouchWiz). On my father's tablet (a Chinese MID 7" 799ca) you can remove phone.apk : causes no problem (!) and heavily enhance battery.
I suppose so you *might* remove it from any vanilla rom (no rom with overlay UI, it will make framework.jar crazy lol), but the main idea remains the same : phone functionnality (phone, data...) is one of the most draining stuff on our devices.

As AndroidGX said, if some newbie read this : do not remove phone.apk, ESPECIALLY if you don't know what you're doing. This is for testers/devs and suicide people. It will make you gain lots of baterry at the cost of misc FC and... woops I can't phone anymore with my phone :D

Exactly :)
Your tip must works perfectly with devices who dosen't need to phone with, especially good for tablets without 3G. Unfortunately, for our SGSII : forget this :p

I think I will add asap on first post a list of apps that should be removed by default from Samsung rom's, as they drain much in background, I'am wondering why I did not this before :D
*edit* : tip now added on first page ! enjoy ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Z4muZ and strenx

al_madd

May 17, 2011
Ok..lets discuss the advantages of UV..will us??

Miscellaneous

[Q] You claim you cannot increase battery life using UV beyond 2%. Justify yourself!
[A] When the processor is in use (i.e. not asleep or idle) UV does save a tiny amount of power. I tested with the most extreme UV my phone could handle. With a high performance governor, e.g. smartassv2, extreme UV would reduce CPU drain by 13%, or about 7 mA. With a governor that keeps the CPU frequency low, CPU drain would be reduced by about 18%, or 4.6 mA (weighted - see the spreadsheet starting cell H88).

Remember, these savings are limited to the processor, and only when it is active. For most users, this will mean the screen is on. For comparison, the screen on minimum brightness displaying black uses 9mA. On max brightness, displaying white, it uses 690mA. Let us assume some median value, ~350 mA.

A saving of 4.6 mA out of at least 350 mA (screen) plus 20 mA (CPU)
= 1.2%

A saving of 7 mA out of at least 350 mA (screen) plus 50 mA (CPU)
= 1.8%

So, regardless of your choice of governor, even with extreme undervolting, you are not going to be able to increase your battery life by more than 2%.

http://xdaforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=22126846

Do you agree that UV will give more battery juice??

kangaroody

Oct 29, 2011
how i tripled my standby duration

Here's something that works just perfectly for me and at least tripled my standby times:

First, I'm leaving network mode at GSM only most of the time and turn it on manually only when I really need it, i.e. use browser, youtube, maps or something...

Second I've installed GreenPower and made following settings (just the most important ones):
Manage Wifi: On
Manage Mobile Network: Off
Screen OFF wireless delay: 5 minutes
Wifi manual toggle: Disable Wifi Management until screen OFF
Wireless OFF duration: stay off

This automatically turns my wifi off 5 minutes after screen off and leaves it off until i turn it on manually -
YES manually, even if I'm within hotspot range. I am doing this, because in many many cases I don't need wifi when I use the phone, i.e. i dont need it for phonecalls, sms, whatsapp, reading or writing mails, reading ebooks and so on. For all the notification stuff i still have my gsm connection which consumes much less power than wifi and/or 3g and its quick and easy to turn one of them on only if I really need it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

AndroidGX

Jun 24, 2010
★ Montpellier ★
Ok..lets discuss the advantages of UV..will us??
http://xdaforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=22126846
Do you agree that UV will give more battery juice??

I will be honest with you :)

After 2 years of pure android experience with tablets/phones, UV mean something yes, but it really depends on devices. On my old Galaxy Tab 7 inch, I can remember that with extreme UV values, battery was drastically better. But.. I will not say that it's as drastically as the Galaxy Tab does, at least on my own SGSII. When I talk about UVing on SGSII, I would say it's pure psychological. Finally, I don't really see real improvement about battery life while UVing on this device. I don't know if it's due to my galaxy SII, maybe it's different from all you guys ?

Anyway from what I've seen on my galaxy tab, I only can push everybody to UV their SGSII, even if I dont trust this.
Why I don't trust ? I don't want to read several technical links and pages about the subject that will proof that UVing will results battery gain, but I only trust my experience months with it and I talk from what I'm really thinking ;)

Hope you understood my opinion :cool:

A|ex

Oct 8, 2008
Hong Kong
Well i have creeped into 3 days with moderate use and a full 2 days of massive use after these settings. The biggest saver for me was under volting and using setcpu, the profiles provided gave ok power saving (mainly declock when screen off). I have added a lot more to mine and i manage to squeeze an extra few hours.

Turning the data off while i sleep was a massive saver

goamushroom

Apr 7, 2012
I was amazed when I started using the SGSII and it lasted a full 3 days of moderate use. I've tweaked a couple of my settings according to your indications, lets see how it goes.
Thanks for sharing.

AndroidGX

Jun 24, 2010
★ Montpellier ★
Thanks for your kind reports guys :)

Now that I'am feeling much familiar with ICS Samsung ROMs, I will add every new tips I found in the days coming.
My idea will be to add "[GB]" (for Gingerbread) and "[ICS]" (Ice Cream Sandwitch) for each tips line, so we can get them together. :cool:

Stay tuned very soon and thanks for your patience ;)

Bayint Naung

Apr 27, 2011
Taungoo
On official ICS ROM, battery life is good for me. Disable a few built in apps.
Last approx nearly 3 hour screen on heavy use (browsing, game, YouTube) and use 50% battery only. :D

AndroidGX

Jun 24, 2010
★ Montpellier ★
Ok guys, sorry for the long delay (was spending much time those last days about trying different kernels and roms), but it now definitely worth it ! :D

THREAD UPDATED :
underlinew.png

tickr.png
24/04/2012 :
  • New presentation of the thread (now much more clear).
  • Finally added Ice Cream Sandwitch TIPS !
  • Tips are now classified by their own parts (Gingerbread, ICS, Common).

Enjoy ! ;)

ram3n

Nov 16, 2010
Joli travail mister, continue de maintenir ce post à jour pour aider les newbies :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work matey :p

Sent via my s2 monster

Reactions: h33ro and AndroidGX

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ ★ Battery Saving TIPS Collection™ ★ ]

Hi everybody ! :)

Did not saw any thread which talks about battery saving tips, so this thread is for you.

Here is all tips collection I found since I bought my SGSII.

I would like to thanks all guys who posted various tips I encountered on SGSII different threads.

Feel free to contribute ! bests tips will be added ASAP with your nickname.

NOTE :
    • All those tips hereafter are ready for any official (Samsung ROMS) and may work on AOSP ROMs aswell (but some tips may not work, like the Samsung Apps tip for exemple).
    • CyanogenMod 9 and 4.0.4 ICS tips won't be added since I do not own anymore the GS2 (I now migrated to the GS3), sorry about this.

THREAD NAVIGATION :
    • Gingerbread PART (Android 2.3.x)
    • Ice Cream Sandwitch PART (Android 4.0.3)
    • Common PARTS

Gingerbread PART (Android 2.3.x) :​
    underlinew.png

tickr.png
    Firstly, before all, move to a 2.3.5 (or higher) Gingerbread ROM !

• Note: 2.3.5 hit a new level of battery draining and managing. It is very highly recommanded to migrate into this version. Even with a stock rom and stock kernel, you will clearly see a difference.

tickr.png
    Settings > Location and security > Use wireless networks : [UNTICK]

tickr.png
    Settings > Display > Brightness : Set it to Minimum

tickr.png
    Settings > Display > Touch key light duration : "OFF"

tickr.png
    Settings > Display > Auto adjust screen power : [TICK]

tickr.png
    Settings > Applications > Samsung Apps > "OFF"

tickr.png
    Settings > Privacy > Back up my data > [UNTICK]

• Note: after you untick the box, a reboot is needed.

tickr.png
    Settings > Wireless and network > Wi-Fi settings > (press Menu button) > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy > "Never" or "When screen turns off" (thanks Perceval from Hyrule).

• Note: quoted from Perceval from Hyrule : "Please note it's a bit less convenient in this mode, as the wifi will connect when you turn the screen on (in never mode, whatever you do with the screen, it's connected so it's faster use)".

Ice Cream Sandwitch PART (Android 4.0.3) :​
    underlinew.png

tickr.png
    Settings > Wi-Fi > Advanced > Network notification : [UNTICK]

tickr.png
    Settings > Wi-Fi > Advanced > Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep : "Always"

tickr.png
    Settings > Data usage > Set mobile data limit : [UNTICK]

tickr.png
    Settings > Call > Call rejection > Auto reject mode "OFF"

tickr.png
    Settings > Sound > Vibration intensity > Set everything to Minimum

tickr.png
    Settings > Sound > Everything in "System" part [UNTICKED]

tickr.png
    Settings > Display > Weather > [UNTICK]

tickr.png
    Settings > Display > Brightness > Automatic brightness > Set it to Minimum

tickr.png
    Settings > Display > Screen timeout > "15s"

tickr.png
    Settings > Display > Touch key light duration > "Always OFF"

tickr.png
    Settings > Display > Auto adjust screen power > [TICK]

tickr.png
    Settings > Location services > Everything [UNTICKED]

tickr.png
    Settings > Back up and reset > Everything [UNTICKED]

tickr.png
    Settings > Date and time > Automatic date and time > [UNTICK]

tickr.png
    Settings > Date and time > Automatic time zone > [UNTICK]

tickr.png
    Settings > Motion > Motion activation > [UNTICK]

tickr.png
    Settings > Developer options > Windows animation scale > "Animation is OFF"

tickr.png
    Settings > Developer options > Transition animation scale > "Animation is OFF"

tickr.png
    Settings > About phone > Software update > Everything [UNTICKED]

Common PARTS :
    underlinew.png

tickr.png
    Don't use BLN / NoLED (notifications apps from Market).

• Note: this app once activated and hardware backlights on from a notification, drains like 20% in 5h sleep (tested personally) (and NoLED 8% in 1h) since BLN/NoLED don't really allows the phone to go into "deep sleep".
      [*]But if you are a NoLED addict, please take a look at brahmy's setting file which will minimize consumption once load it.

tickr.png
    Never use Tasks killer things or related.

• Note: they are draining much battery than letting them on, while killing apps on the background. Let Android system managing them by itself.

tickr.png
    Always use a black background on the desk + lockscreen (thanks Perceval from Hyrule).

• Note: quoted from Perceval from Hyrule : "As it is AMOLED screen, black screen = black pixels, and on AMOLED black pixels are NOT consuming power, because black on AMOLED is not powered". Few others nice tips can be found on his post directly. I created a png directly that you can find right here :
    black_bg.jpg

tickr.png
    Phone > Keypad > *#9900# > Enable "fast dormancy" > Quit

• Note: This technology reduces network congestion. This would decrease unnecessary traffic at the same time as improving battery life (10 to 45%). If your carrier does not support this mode, then keep it disabled. How to check if your carrier support this mode ? click here.
    tickr.png
    Phone > Keypad > *#301279# > Click "[2] CHANGE HSPA REVISION" > Click "[1] RELEASE 99 (HSPA OFF)" > Back.

• Note: locking to 3G only. To reactivate HSPA : Keypad > *#301279# > "[2]" > "[3]".
    tickr.png
    Install "JuiceDefender" or "Green Power" from Android Market.

• Note: some users seems experiencing better battery life without those apps, so best solution is to test them by yourself.

tickr.png
    Install a Kernel which allow UV (UnderVolt) to save a bit more battery.

• Note: only if the Kernel of your ROM accepts it, so please verify if your ROM/Kernel is compatible. And of course, do not OC (OverClocking) your device more than 1200Mhz. Don't forget that every chips are differents so final results from a device and another are too. Always put moderate values, agressiv ones may get your phone rebooting and drain more battery than moderate. I would suggest to not go higher than -100mV. Moreover undervolting is impacting less battery heat aswell.

tickr.png
    If you have multiple mail accounts, turn off auto-sync feature to refresh them manually. (thanks rumthin)
    Settings > Accounts & sync > Auto-sync : [UNTICK]

• Note: this will works also for any app like Facebook, Twitter, Beautiful Widget, etc..

tickr.png
    Load this View attachment SetCPU_Profiles.setcpudb.txt file.

• Note: once downloaded, rename "SetCPU_Profiles.setcpudb.txt" to "SetCPU_Profiles.setcpudb", put it on your in the root of your sdcard directory, go on SetCPU, and load the file on the "Profiles" tab directly by pressing menu (hardware button). Remember to never kill SetCPU process. If the file is properly loaded, it must look like hereafter. Note that many recent kernels already integrating some sleep tweaks configurations into governors like "conservative" or other, so this kind of tip is getting a bit old now.

tickr.png
    Delete the following apps from your Samsung ROM :

• Note: I recommand everybody to delete those apps which drains a lot in the background. Of course, you can keep them if you use them. Remember to always Nandroid backup before (just in case). You can deleted them directly using TitaniumBackup root app (safely), by Root Explorer, or delete them in "/system/app" manually (in the ROM zip) before flashing a new ROM.
    Critical :
    • Dlna.apk
    • GameHub.apk
    • GenieWidget.apk
    • Kies.apk
    • KiesAir.apk
    • kieswifi.apk
    • MusicHub_xx.apk
    • ReadersHub.apk
    • SamsungApps.apk
    • SamsungAppsUNA3.apk
    • SamsungIM.apk
    • SamsungPushService.apk
    • SamsungWidget_News.apk
    • SamsungWidget_ProgramMonitor.apk
    • SamsungWidget_StockClock.apk
    • SamsungWidget_WeatherClock.apk
    • SevenEngine.apk
    Recommanded :
    • PressReader.apk
    • Talk.apk
    • Talkback.apk

Need supports ? all kind of questions must be posted on this thread directly. Be sure to read the whole thread (or at least 5 latest pages) before asking any question.
    If you enjoy this guide, don't forget to rate it
    rating_5.png
    stars
    , and clicking the
    thanksq.png
    button
    (right below) is always appreciated to keep this thread maintained ;)

LIKE MY WORK ?
    OFFER ME A

!
    thank you so much for this tips.. appreciate it

You're welcome.

The thread will be updated as soon as ICS will be officialy released for the SGSII, as there is many chances that I will migrate to CM9 when it will be ready. :cool:

You guys will stay tuned anyway :D
    SO ! Here are quantitative results tested during the last 3 nights.

Testing parameters :
    * Model tested : Galaxy SII Exonys, Super-AMOLED+, without NFC
    * Duration : 10 h 15 minutes
    * Operating mode : idle (screen off)
    * Connectivity : all enabled (3G + Wifi + BlueTooth + GPS + Sound + Vibration)
    * System : stock 2.3.3 rooted, lots of junk apps removed, baseband KG1, kernel 2.6.35.7 hardcore@speedmod-s2-k1-t39
    * Running processes : standard, including Facebook, Water Reflection Ripple, SlideIT keyboard, Android Assistant, SetCPU (only when profiles are enabled) - approx 280Mb of RAM used.
    * Testing process :
    • Battery is fully charged to 100%.
    • Phone is powered off durng seconds to cool the phone/clear RAM.
    • Phone is booted. No operation is done to kill processes manually, etc etc, to keep the phone as "anyone's regular use" as possible.
    • Once fully booted (end of media scanning), power cord is disconnected.
    • Phone is kept idle (screen off only ; it keeps scanning GSM, Wifi, Bluetooth...) for 10 h 15 minutes.
    • After 10h15, battery remaining is tested with Android System Info.

RESULTS - Remaining battery after 10h15 idle (screen off)

• Without SetCPU (Samsung onDemand 200-1200 MHz)
      89 %​
    • SetCPU (SetCPU onDemand 200-500 MHz)
      94 %​
    • SetCPU (SetCPU Conservative 200-500 MHz)
      96 %​
    • SetCPU (SetCPU Powersave 200-500 MHz)
      97 %​

Note : these results are perfectly accurate for my phone only. Your results may be different according to these :
    - your Galaxy SII model (Super-LCD screen, Tegra chipset/SoC, NFC support, ...)
    - your kernel (stock or custom)
    - junk apps running or not
    - your own running processes...

Interesting,
    I agree that I was wrong, it's good to know what this option was hiding :)

If I understood this thread well, it seems that if we let the option unticked, it consum less battery because more brightness, so I won't modify my tip on first page then.
    Thanks for the link !

As for apps freezing solution, it's preferable to remove apps who (are supposed to) drains in the background (like Samsung Apps, Social Hub, etc..) before flashing a rom.
    This link is my favorite to know (about system apps, samsung integrated apps, etc) if safe to be removed. ;)
    better battery stats .
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

That is now rule one your starting point .

jje

This.
    And no need to include Juice Defender, it drains more battery than saving it.

Regards.