Post Reply Email Thread
12th March 2012, 08:58 PM |#1811  
Thanks Meter: 424

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiept

ROM: AOKP Milestone4
Kernel: 0.9.5b

Tried Wipe and Cache format and still can't mount external sd on pc. Only internal seems to be mounting. Any ideias? What am I missing?

Do you have USB debug active?

GT-i9000 / ICSSGS 4.2 / Semaphore 0.9.0

12th March 2012, 09:07 PM |#1812  
Flag Hungary, Gy-M-S.
Thanks Meter: 1,022

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleraintoxicity

If you can't use didle with music you lost the whole point of didke

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

...and maybe you won't get better battery life.

Sent from Slim_ICS_2.8, Semaphore_0.9.5b
12th March 2012, 09:22 PM |#1813  
Thanks Meter: 571

More
On 0.9.5b, NStools not installed, so I suppose deep idle is not active: Playing music with Google music, when screen goes off, music start to stutter. Exact same settings on 0.9.1 and music plays fine...

sent from the Outer Space
12th March 2012, 09:36 PM |#1814  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Thessaloniki
Thanks Meter: 31,870

Donate to Me
More
Deep Idle Guide and FAQ
This was really unexpected. Unfortunately I can't answer all these questions and comments. So I tried to write a guide and a FAQ for deep idle. Feel free for suggestions and corrections. Source: Samsung's SPV210 RISC Microprocessor User's Manual. Hope it clarifies some things.

Deep Idle Guide and FAQ

When the phone has no actions to perform, because you leave it alone or for example contacts are not synchronizing or gmail application is not fetching a new mail e.t.c., then the best thing that the phone has to do is to go to... sleep (suspend). In this state the phone consumes very little power.

There are also 5 other power schemes that the processor s5pv210 can use to reduce power consumption: Normal, Idle, Deep Idle, Stop and Deep Stop. We are interested in the first three states Normal, Idle and Deep Idle.

In Normal state the CPU is running, that is, some software is running.
In Idle state the CPU core is idle, that is, the CPU core clock is disabled but the remaining parts of s5pv210 are running.
In Deep Idle state the CPU core power is supplied but is powered off by the internal power switch. The remaining parts of processor may become power gated except the Audio power domain for low power MP3 playback.
Samsung in gingerbread kernels used only the Idle scheme. Deep Idle was implemented in the kernel but it was disabled by default. All known GB custom kernels have enabled Deep Idle state.

With stock kernels only Normal, Idle and Sleep states are used. Examples of these states use:

Normal state: User uses browser, or reading emails, watching video etc
Idle state: User listen to music and screen is off, no other software is running.
Sleep state: No user activity, screen is off, no activity of background services and processes.

Kernel checks many times per second different factors and decides which power state to use.
Deep Idle can be used as a better alternative of Idle state and the major benefit is when user listen to music. Then IF and only if all other conditions (factors) are satisfied the kernel decides to go to Deep Idle. That is, as we mentioned, CPU powered off, TOP powered off and L2 cache is powered off. Only Audio is on and that's why we have a major benefit. Another option of Deep Idle is the TOP=ON which means that the TOP module is still powered. This is used when bluetooth is enabled (powered).

Regarding power consumption, Sleep is always the desired state. Below the states ordered by the power they consumes (Normal consumes more power):

Normal -> Idle -> Deep Idle (TOP=ON) -> Deep Idle (TOP=OFF) -> Sleep

FAQ

How to enable Deep Idle?
a) Simply check the Deep Idle option in Semaphore Script Manager or b) use this command on a terminal emulator or adb shell:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/deepidle/enabled

How to enable Deep Idle Statistics?
a) Simply check the Deep Idle Statistics option in Semaphore Script Manager or b) use this command on a terminal emulator or adb shell:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/deepidle/stats_enabled

Why statistics are not enabled by default?
Simply for saving CPU cycles. Kernel checks for entering Deep Idle (or Idle) many thousand times per minute. So, disabling statistics we have less overhead in CPU. What is the difference? Not to much, but better little than nothing.

What is TOP?
S5PV210 internal modules are grouped into 11 power domains based on their functions. One of these domain is the TOP and it includes these modules: Clock Management Unit (CMU), GPIO(OFF), Bus components, VIC, TZIC, Internal memory (IROM and IRAM), NAND controller, OneNAND controller, CF controller, SRAM controller, Peripheral DMA, Memory DMA, CoreSight, JTAG, Modem interface, Security sub-system, TSI, HSMMC, USB HOST, USB OTG, DRAM controller, CHIPID, IEM_IEC, Security key, SPDIF, PCM, SPI, KEYIF, TSADC, I2C, I2S channel 1 and 2, AC97, PCM, System timer, Watchdog timer, UART.
So, Deep Idle with TOP=OFF power gates all the above modules.

How to check if Deep Idle works?
Enable Deep Idle and Deep Idle statistics then run music player and select your favorite music (it must be your favorite song in order to deep idle work properly). Switch the screen off and wait few seconds (or wait until your favorite song is finished). Check with this command in a terminal emulator or adb shell deep idle statistics:
cat /sys/devices/virtual/misc/deepidle/idle_stats

Alternatively you may just open the idle_stats file in the above directory using a root explorer like application.

I only get TOP=ON statistics
Bluetooth or GPS or Vibrator is running

How to power down Bluetooth?
Use this command:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/bt_rfkill/rfkill/rfkill0/soft
Unfortunately I didn't manage to find a way to enable it again. I tried an rfkil script but it doesn't work for me. If you find a way, please let me know.

I only get Idle statistics (neither TOP=ON nor TOP=OFF)
Something is preventing kernel to enter in deep idle state. This maybe normal. For example:
LCD controller is enabled
USB is connected
TV encoder is working
G3D (GPU) is active
MFC (multi format codec) is active
SDMMC controller is active
etc.

How can I find what is preventing deep idle?
That's why I implemented dflags in deep idle. Kernel check many factors to decide if it can enter deep idle. All these check are encoded in dflags. dflags is an integer number. If you read this number and decode it in binary you will get the results of the last check. Each check is a bit set in binary format. For example:
dflag = 3 binary = 11. This means that LCD controller and camera are active. (Please note that I disabled camera check for preventing kernel entering deep idle). The flags in dflags (most of the are self explanatory):
0 S5PV210_PD_LCD
1 S5PV210_PD_CAM
2 S5PV210_PD_TV
3 S5PV210_PD_MFC
4 S5PV210_PD_G3D
5 SND_S5P_RP
6 S5P_CLKGATE_IP0
7 S5P_CLKGATE_IP1
8 S5P_CLKGATE_IP3
9 loop_sdmmc_check
10 check_usbotg_op
11 check_rtcint
12 check_idmapos

You may enable debugging with
echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/deepidle/ddebug_enabled

The you may use this script to get the value of dflags every second.

Code:
#!/system/xbin/busybox sh

while true; do
        cat /sys/devices/virtual/misc/deepidle/dflags

sleep 1
done
Leave it to run and try to enter your phone in deep idle. The switch on the screen and read the last values and convert the to binary. Values 0 or 1 lead to deep idle. Other values lead to Idle.
The Following 100 Users Say Thank You to stratosk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th March 2012, 10:03 PM |#1815  
Flag Qu├ębec city
Thanks Meter: 160

Donate to Me
More
awesome!!

You should consider using the second post of this thread (the one reserved for future use ) to show this last piece of information ... quite usefull it is!
12th March 2012, 10:21 PM |#1816  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Thessaloniki

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastricho

Seemed to be working for a while actually. Got into deep idle, Top=OFF for a little while. But then unable to reproduce it again. Playing around a bit to see if i can get it back...

After testing through emulator the commands stratosk suggested, this is what i got apparently preventing deep idle. If anyone can deconstruct it. (Running 4.2 ICSSGS, SmartassV2, no OC/UV)

I see some 0s. This is deep idle IF (bluetooth and gps and vibrator) is off
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stratosk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th March 2012, 10:25 PM |#1817  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiKsFiles

awesome!!

You should consider using the second post of this thread (the one reserved for future use ) to show this last piece of information ... quite usefull it is!

I would also nominate this guide for front page.

Also: is the battery use difference between TOP=ON and TOP=OFF really huge or not? I do use bluetooth sometimes so I'd rather have it working, unless it really benefits my battery hugely.
12th March 2012, 10:27 PM |#1818  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Thessaloniki

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerdas

Following my earlier message I did the following:
Rebooted to achieve wi-fi and bluetooth functionality again. Ran the same command through terminal emulator. Top=off was activated. But when I tried to open wi-fi my phone rebooted.
I'm attaching last_kmsg. I hope it will be usefull to you.

With a quick look I can't understand what's going on. Does this happen every time?
12th March 2012, 10:33 PM |#1819  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Thessaloniki

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DH-

I would also nominate this guide for front page.

Also: is the battery use difference between TOP=ON and TOP=OFF really huge or not? I do use bluetooth sometimes so I'd rather have it working, unless it really benefits my battery hugely.

Yes, I believe there is a big difference. Please note that in GB kernel only TOP=OFF is implemented...

Anyway, I will keep searching a way to make them work all together (of course I can't promise I will manage to do it)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stratosk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th March 2012, 10:44 PM |#1820  
Flag Sarajevo
Thanks Meter: 4,322

Donate to Me
More
New version works ok.
My sugestion stratosk don't waste to many time on didle.In most of cases it doesn't work.
Keep up the good work my friend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcho For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift malcho Ad-Free
12th March 2012, 10:45 PM |#1821  
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 6

More
So, let me make sure that I understood. If I don't listen to music, I have no use of deep idle whatsoever, since phone goes to sleep state anyway?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ics, semaphore

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)