? What do you mean?

Sent from my MTD Epic 4G SGS using Tapatalk

12th March 2012, 05:42 AM |#42  
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 716

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEpic

Aight...im a little late on the bus but this thread is full of people i trust...ok...turning off "Data" saves battery...what can/cant i do when data is on/off??

Data off means no email sync, web browsing, facebook.....anything that needs to connect to the outside world except phone calls and texting. It makes it a dumb phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to poit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift poit Ad-Free
12th March 2012, 05:46 PM |#43  
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 513

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by poit

Data off means no email sync, web browsing, facebook.....anything that needs to connect to the outside world except phone calls and texting. It makes it a dumb phone.

Bingo. The only thing you'll be able to do is call people, receive calls, and send/receive SMS text messages. Note, not MMS messages, those take data. That's it. No email, no surfing the interwebz on the googlez, nothing like that. It literally goes back to being a feature phone.

Oh, and you can still play your games, but not games that require any sort of internet connection, like a words with friends, though I've never played it before.
The Following User Says Thank You to hayzooos For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hayzooos Ad-Free
12th March 2012, 06:22 PM |#44  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayzooos

Bingo. The only thing you'll be able to do is call people, receive calls, and send/receive SMS text messages. Note, not MMS messages, those take data. That's it. No email, no surfing the interwebz on the googlez, nothing like that. It literally goes back to being a feature phone.

Oh, and you can still play your games, but not games that require any sort of internet connection, like a words with friends, though I've never played it before.

O ok..got yall...so its like going back in time to the 90s wit the nokia wit the green screen and snake!??? Thanks...i would imagine that would save a lot of battery...where is this function located...is it the mobile networks on/off or data usage > mobile data...on/off??
12th March 2012, 08:45 PM |#45  
Flag Illinois

More
Quote:

O ok..got yall...so its like going back in time to the 90s wit the nokia wit the green screen and snake!??? Thanks...i would imagine that would save a lot of battery...where is this function located...is it the mobile networks on/off or data usage > mobile data...on/off??

Dude, I loved snake. And yes, just like that. Texts and calls, nothing more. If you open up your dropdown status bar, you should see two arrows, one going up and one going down. Hitting that button will turn data to your phone off and you'll see the 3G (or 4G if you roll like that) disappear and only the signal strength will be visable.

If you wanted to go one step further, put it in airplane mode, but then no calls or texts either. It's then basically a media player.
12th March 2012, 09:14 PM |#46  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
I use DroidWall to manage what apps can and can not access data while on 3g or wifi. Perhaps this could be a happy medium between turning off data and letting all your apps go rampant on your data usage.

I believe I got this from marcusant.

I have been having pretty good results. With "stock" beta0, I can leave my phone on over night (with data on) and I only lose about 2%/hr.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBizzleFoSho For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JBizzleFoSho Ad-Free
12th March 2012, 09:19 PM |#47  
Flag Illinois

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizzleFoSho

I use DroidWall to manage what apps can and can not access data while on 3g or wifi. Perhaps this could be a happy medium between turning off data and letting all your apps go rampant on your data usage.

I believe I got this from marcusant.

I have been having pretty good results. With "stock" beta0, I can leave my phone on over night (with data on) and I only lose about 2%/hr.

This is fantastic, thank you for the suggestion. I have never heard of this app before, and I've heard of people using JD Ultimate (which I think is about $5). This looks to be a free alternative, so I'm happy about that. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.
12th March 2012, 09:46 PM |#48  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I'm amazed no one has recommended Battery Calibration. You should do it every time you switch kernels to ensure accurate reporting of battery percentage.
12th March 2012, 10:05 PM |#49  
Moderator Committee / RC-RT Committee / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 48,812

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlink217

I'm amazed no one has recommended Battery Calibration. You should do it every time you switch kernels to ensure accurate reporting of battery percentage.

Because battery calibration is a myth and not needed. The percentage is directly proportional to the voltage on the battery. 100% = 4.200 Volts and 0% = 3.700 volts. That is how your phone determines percentage. An Android Google Engineer wrote an article on this.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KennyG123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KennyG123 Ad-Free
13th March 2012, 12:11 AM |#50  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 1,082

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlink217

The batterystats file is nothing more than the info displayed for battery info under settings/battery usage. It has no affect on your battery displaying properly and does not changed anything. The file is wiped every time your charge reaches 100%. You cannot calibrate a lithium ion battery. You can only work in the cells when the battery is brand new and the cells haven't been used yet (cycling the battery a few time to ensure it's receiving it's maximum voltage capacity when charged).

Edit: I see kenny already explained.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zeinzu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Zeinzu Ad-Free
13th March 2012, 02:33 AM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:

Aight...im a little late on the bus but this thread is full of people i trust...ok...turning off "Data" saves battery...what can/cant i do when data is on/off??

Quote:
Originally Posted by poit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayzooos

This is fantastic, thank you for the suggestion. I have never heard of this app before, and I've heard of people using JD Ultimate (which I think is about $5). This looks to be a free alternative, so I'm happy about that. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

JD Ultimate is nice but takes some time to configure it to work best with how you use your device. I personally love it and have managed so far to slightly over double how long I get out of a full charge to up to just over 48 hours depending on light, medium, or heavy usage. Without it I get up to 24 hours. I'm not familiar with droidwall so correct me if I'm wrong but JD takes things one step farther and turns data on and off for you and allows you to specify if you would like to have data turn on/stay on for specific apps in addition to the other rules for toggling data. Where as droid wall just reduces data usage which does save battery but data off when not needed saves even more.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)