Votes: 99 14.1%
  • 32GB White - Bad

Votes: 31 4.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Milkman00

Jun 12, 2010
Tampa Bay, Florida
So my tab was fine until it committed suicide and the screen broke.

I have a Squaretrade warranty, and they replaced the screen. The problem is that the new screen HAS THIS PROBLEM!!! :(

I know I could send it back and they will replace the screen again, but I am concerned I will have the oil slick again or the rings. Do you think I should try Samsung or go back to Squaretrade.

I hate the idea of being without my Tab for 2+ weeks again. SIGH.

asurjc

Feb 20, 2011
Well, I would try Samsung for a go around this time and see what happens. Do you know what kind of glass squaretrade used in your repair? If you're serious about getting your tab back quickly, I believe you can pay yourself to have it shipped overnight to their facility. They quote a 3 business day fix but it's possible they might have it back to you by Friday of that week since they seem to use ups 2day air when they send it back to you. Good luck

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Milkman00

Jun 12, 2010
Tampa Bay, Florida
Well, I would try Samsung for a go around this time and see what happens. Do you know what kind of glass squaretrade used in your repair? If you're serious about getting your tab back quickly, I believe you can pay yourself to have it shipped overnight to their facility. They quote a 3 business day fix but it's possible they might have it back to you by Friday of that week since they seem to use ups 2day air when they send it back to you. Good luck

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Where is their facility that you have to mail it to, does anyone know???

As far as what kind of glass, I have no idea, but my original glass had the Samsung logo, and this one does not.

Benzoman

Jan 9, 2012
Central Illinois
Where is their facility that you have to mail it to, does anyone know???

As far as what kind of glass, I have no idea, but my original glass had the Samsung logo, and this one does not.

If my memory serves me correct, and often it doesn't, the original tabs manufactured with the known issue didn't have the Samsung logo. The defect corrected manufactured ones came with the logo.
But why would they replace your screen with one that had known defects? Maybe to get rid of old stock and save themselves money? Could be something completely different too.
Of course it's possible for both to have the issue. You just have to be really lucky I guess. :(
As to where to send it, just get on the Samsung site and see what you can find. I've found their chat online option really helpful and fast in the first two days I had my tab. Both times they were on at very strange hours too.
In any case best of luck.
Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium HD app

danielsf

Oct 29, 2010
Hull
I have the oil slick problem, and I am about to get it sent of to be repaired (If Samsung will fix it), but they ask you to right down what the problem is on a piece of paper, and I really have no idea how to describe the problem in just a few sentences , as it is only intermittent oil slick problem, mainly when I go out side, or put the tab upside down it happens. The probelm is is that if they don't find anything wrong with it, I will have to pay £9 if I want to send it again, and as the problem isn't always there, I don't know if Samsung will fix it, as when they are looking at the tab, the oil slick might not be there. Does anyone have any idea how to describe the old slick problem that isn't there all the time but appeasers a lot and is getting worse in just a couple of sentences please. English may be my first language, but I am terrible at explaining things in a small amount of words, if anyone helps me I will pres your thanks button, and I thank you :)

Last edited:

Ken4G

Sep 7, 2011
Buffalo, NY USA
Maybe things are different in the UK. I called Samsung here in the USA 3 weeks ago to have the same repair done. Right when I told them I had 'Newton Rings' the guy stopped questioning me and immediately setup a repair request. Free shipping to and fro. Was super fast turn around time too. Was very pleased with the experience. I didn't have to write a note or anything.

Also, mine was intermittent as well. In fact, when I sent it in, there were no rings on it at all. I think you need to just mention 'Newton Rings' and that is it. Any Samsung rep should be well aware of this known issue with the tab.

Reactions: danielsf

Benzoman

Jan 9, 2012
Central Illinois
I have the oil slick problem, and I am about to get it sent of to be repaired (If Samsung will fix it), but they ask you to right down what the problem is on a piece of paper, and I really have no idea how to describe the problem in just a few sentences , as it is only intermittent oil slick problem, mainly when I go out side, or put the tab upside down it happens. The probelm is is that if they don't find anything wrong with it, I will have to pay £9 if I want to send it again, and as the problem isn't always there, I don't know if Samsung will fix it, as when they are looking at the tab, the oil slick might not be there. Does anyone have any idea how to describe the old slick problem that isn't there all the time but appeasers a lot and is getting worse in just a couple of sentences please. English may be my first language, but I am terrible at explaining things in a small amount of words, if anyone helps me I will pres your thanks button, and I thank you :)

Using "Newton Rings" seems to have instantly changed the thinking of many tech support "experts", from what I've read on the forum. I'd just state
"Intermittent ocurrences of Newton Rings. Becoming more frequent with continued use."
This would give then the idea they may or may not notice the issue themselves, then hopefully they will just replace the screen even if they don't see the issue themselves and problem solved, hopefully.
Hope this helps you.
Keep us updated.

danielsf

Oct 29, 2010
Hull
Using "Newton Rings" seems to have instantly changed the thinking of many tech support "experts", from what I've read on the forum. I'd just state
"Intermittent ocurrences of Newton Rings. Becoming more frequent with continued use."
This would give then the idea they may or may not notice the issue themselves, then hopefully they will just replace the screen even if they don't see the issue themselves and problem solved, hopefully.
Hope this helps you.
Keep us updated.

Thank you so much, I posted it off yesterday, I phoned them up today and they said that they have received it, and already repaired it. I got told they replaced the glass in font of the screen and a few other things. The person couldn't tell me what the "other things" were as they were just number parts, no actual description of what the other parts were, so now I am so curious to know what other things were wrong with my tab that I didn't even know about :D They also said that the tab will go into testing, and should be posted off with next day delivery on Monday, as the repair center isn't open on a weekend. I just hope that they have actually repaired the problem, and that the oil slick doesn't come back :)

Also, thank you so much for the description of the fault, I wrote it down on the fault description sheet I had to fill in that would be sent of with the tab, and it has obviously worked. Thank you :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Benzoman

Benzoman

Jan 9, 2012
Central Illinois
Thank you so much, I posted it off yesterday, I phoned them up today and they said that they have received it, and already repaired it. I got told they replaced the glass in font of the screen and a few other things. The person couldn't tell me what the "other things" were as they were just number parts, no actual description of what the other parts were, so now I am so curious to know what other things were wrong with my tab that I didn't even know about :D They also said that the tab will go into testing, and should be posted off with next day delivery on Monday, as the repair center isn't open on a weekend. I just hope that they have actually repaired the problem, and that the oil slick doesn't come back :)

Also, thank you so much for the description of the fault, I wrote it down on the fault description sheet I had to fill in, and it has obviously worked. Thank you :)

Great to hear you got everything done in short time :D
The other parts were probably just part of the standard repair used to treat all Newton ring cases or needed for installing the newest screens.

Reactions: danielsf

TechGoon954

Jan 25, 2011
Fort Laudrdale

Also, thank you so much for the description of the fault, I wrote it down on the fault description sheet I had to fill in that would be sent of with the tab, and it has obviously worked. Thank you :)

Yeah , they received mine last week Wednesday and it was fixed on Friday and will be shipped out this Monday(2Day) so I'll be holding my baby in my hands by this Wednesday!

mrmanny167

Mar 31, 2011
brooklyn, new york
screen replace

this is a defect with the tablet just call samsung and tell them about it and they will send u a ups label to send it to texas to replace the screen . i did it it took about 6 days,all good now!!!!!!

aksolanki

Mar 14, 2011
Lugo, Italy.
www.thisiswhatwedo.com
Hi, I bought a white 32GB Wi-Fi version from eBay on Saturday. It's a manufacturers refurb, and comes with a 60 day warranty from the eBay seller, and the remainder of the manufacturers warranty, whatever that may be.

Fortunately I got it for a great price £265 ($420), unfortunately I saw this thread a day after. I hope the one I have bought doesn't have this issue. At the very least I can get a refund. Problems with the design of the case/display, isn't something I expected from SAMSUNG.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to the great folks on this thread. You have provided great support and info for users suffering from this problem And it would seem that SAMSUNG, man up, and take care of the problem. Kudos all round.

Have fun. Anil

i work for samsung in Austria.

this moisture is a fail from the production.
we change it in guarantee for free of course.

send it to your service partner with a copy of your bill and u ll get a new once

but send it with orignal software back and count 0 !!!!!!!!
otherwise u will loose your warranty

kingofcomedy

Aug 30, 2011
Bielefeld, Germany
Samsung Germany doesn't care if the Count is 0 or not. And they doesn't care if ICS is installed or if the device has been rooted. It is a hardware-problem so it is not important what I have done with the os/software.

TabGuy

Jun 20, 2011
i work for samsung in Austria.

this moisture is a fail from the production.
we change it in guarantee for free of course.

send it to your service partner with a copy of your bill and u ll get a new once

but send it with orignal software back and count 0 !!!!!!!!
otherwise u will loose your warranty

Why is the original purchase information necessary. None of these are a year old yet so they're all still under warranty. I was never asked for, nor offered, my original purchase receipt and mine was repaired.

Apr 14, 2012
Got it after 4 months use.

I have a 16gb wifi version and now have the dreaded oil slick after 4 months use.

I have taken it back to currys who have sent it off for repair.

Sounds like a replacement screen is the better solution than getting a new one.

My serial had B7 which i think means it was manufactured in July ?

May 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
I just recently sent mine in for repair. The entire process (shipping + repair) took about a week. The new screen has a really ugly yellow tint on about 2/3 of it so I'll probably have to send it back again. :mad:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMG_1170.JPG

Okay, so my friend had purchased a 32GB Metalic Grey and has the same issue. We're returning today.

What a pain in the ass it was to grab that pic...

Hope this helps you.
    Keep us updated.

I had the same problem. I solved it (for the moment) by:
    -putting the tab on a flat table, screen facing upwards.
    -gently pressing down with two fingers at the top left and top right corners. As I was pressing I could see the spot getting smaller until it was completely gone.

3 days now with perfect screen.

Let's hope it lasts.
    I believe I had the same thing... Right in the middle it looked like if u would push a TV screen in. it had that kinda mark on mine. And on top of that I ordered the grey back and they gave me the white one... So I returned it

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App
    My friend bought it from the US for me and I am in Europe.
    Don't know whether I could could contact samsung Europe for a fix.

I'm in the same situation. As this is a factory manufacturing defect, and all of these global tablets are made over in the far east rather than in the US or Europe, and also as the repair does not require any market-specific components, I see no reason whatsoever why the repair of a manufacturing defect should not be honoured in the current country, rather than needing a return to country of purchase.

I did ask this question at the Samsung stand at a recent UK consumer electronics show, and the rep there told me it would be no problem, just take it back to a local Samsung service center.

However I don't know if Samsung's collective brains work so sensibly...

Andre