Vivid ics ota update! 3/3/2012

Search This thread

dtorrez1883

May 28, 2011
Houston, Tx
I also read that the official release will contain Sense 4.0.. I know this is essentially an official release so color me confused.

I think I read somewhere it was going to have some features of Sense 4.0. Similar to older HTC phones getting Sense 3.0 features like the lockscreen but not receiving the full upgrade.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

formicae

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
The 'Sense 4.0' thing was widely misreported, the actual HTC press release said nothing about Sense 4:

In the coming weeks, HTC Vivid(TM) customers will be able to enjoy the optimized audio experience through an upcoming software update that will provide Android 4.0, an updated HTC Sense(TM) experience and Beats By Dr. Dre Audio profiles.

Reactions: Pirateghost

ZeroRilix

Mar 23, 2011
Covington
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Alright, back on track. I'm gonna try the ruu again tonight. When I connect my Vivid to the pc, which mode do I select? HTC sync, charge only, or disk drive? Remember, I'm stock, locked, and not rooted

Sent from my HTC Vivid using XDA app

DownTheCross

Feb 23, 2010
HTC sync is the recommended mode. But as long as "USB debugging" is enabled it should work.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

ransack

Mar 7, 2012
Peru, IN
First time poster here, I have no experience rooting/flashing phones, but I used PG's RUU on my Vivid and on my girlfriend's Vivid, everything went flawlessly. Thanks a lot for your work and for everyone's support, it's really cool to be the only one in my area with ICS. Only one problem, every time I reboot my phone I get a message, "Android is upgrading", and something about optimizing my apps. It only takes a minute or two but it does it every time, and also on restart it asks for my time zone? Very minor problems though, I am very happy with the upgrade and thanks for everyone's expertise.

dizzyraider

Jan 9, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
First time poster here, I have no experience rooting/flashing phones, but I used PG's RUU on my Vivid and on my girlfriend's Vivid, everything went flawlessly. Thanks a lot for your work and for everyone's support, it's really cool to be the only one in my area with ICS. Only one problem, every time I reboot my phone I get a message, "Android is upgrading", and something about optimizing my apps. It only takes a minute or two but it does it every time, and also on restart it asks for my time zone? Very minor problems though, I am very happy with the upgrade and thanks for everyone's expertise.

From what I have gathered, it is normal for Android is upgrading to show up on reboots. I'm not sure about the time zone though. Keep in mind, the RUU is pre release beta, so I suggest that a bit of light reading and update to the OTA release. I'll list what you will have to do if you do want to update to the OTA version.

Since you did the RUU method, I'm assuming everything is bone stock at the moment.

Read the stickied post on how to these steps

unlock bootloader
flash recovery
flash kernel
in recovery, flash rom

cougmeister

Feb 27, 2011

I think the 'Android is Upgrading' screen has something to do with fast boot in your settings.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

homeslice976

Feb 25, 2010
Central Pennsylvania
The general consensus is ICS will optimize applications every time Dalvik cache is wiped. So when restarting, or powering off, Dalvik should get wiped, and apps will be optimized. The only time it won't do this is if you have fastboot ticked, and you power down, then power back up (as this is when the power "fastboot" option is utilized). Even with fastboot ticked, when restarting it will still do this

hradak

Jun 4, 2008
The general consensus is ICS will optimize applications every time Dalvik cache is wiped. So when restarting, or powering off, Dalvik should get wiped, and apps will be optimized. The only time it won't do this is if you have fastboot ticked, and you power down, then power back up (as this is when the power "fastboot" option is utilized). Even with fastboot ticked, when restarting it will still do this

hello All, new to the Vivid (just got one from Craigslist!) coming from the HTC HD2.
so everybody is getting "Android is upgrading" message at every boot?
Thanks to all (especially OP + PG!) for this ICS update.

pauley

May 28, 2010
Any thoughts on this posting from the Vivid Android Central forum?

"ICS updated, no hack nor rom"
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=161610

***If anyone could get this newer OTA downloaded & pull it's zip from their phone before it installs it really would be helpful to the devs. It'll be in cache folder I believe, & you should be able to get it using about any file explorer***

Last edited:

jayv81

Mar 30, 2011
Lafayette, La
hello All, new to the Vivid (just got one from Craigslist!) coming from the HTC HD2.
so everybody is getting "Android is upgrading" message at every boot?
Thanks to all (especially OP + PG!) for this ICS update.

I assume everyone is getting it. Wildchild released a update to his rom earlier this week and since I've flashed that one I no longer get that message when booting.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

slimslim

Oct 14, 2009
Any thoughts on this posting from the Vivid Android Central forum?

"ICS updated, no hack nor rom"
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=161610

I'm rocking ics thanks to this, it actually worked :)

Dialed that, got this,

4460ea15-00cf-cb2a.jpg

Ended up with this:

4460ea15-00f5-7cd6.jpg

Sent from my HTC Vivid via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts