FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Why the lack of microSD may be a problem.

1,632 posts
Thanks Meter: 200

By Hunt3r.j2, Senior Member on 18th March 2012, 08:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th March 2012, 12:05 PM |#21  
Flag York
Thanks Meter: 60

More
People you need to embrace the cloud (and get a data plan that allows you to!) Modern devices are designed to be always connected. When I'm at home or in the office or in the coffee shop I'm connected to a WIFI hotspot. When I'm out and about I'm connected to 3G (I dream of 4G but the UK lags behind in this at the moment!). When I'm very rarely offline (air-plane, tunnel, black-spots)... I'm prepared for it!

Store your Music in Google Music (technically US only but there are ways and means...) and I guess other alternatives. Have access to all your music and stream it to your phone. Know your going to be offline? Know you want to listen to some specific albums? Download those to your device for offline play!

Photo's and Videos! Dropbox, google+, and facebook all allow for automatic uploading saving you the need to do it later. Want them on your PC also well dropbox has a client for PC syncing so I never need to manually do it! Plus all my photos and videos are now automaticly backed up!

Documents / OneNotes! I'm using skydrive purely because I'm a PC fan boy but drop box could be used also. With one note and skydrive you always have access to your notes on the go or from any PC!

Books again store your libary in the cloud and just download / sync the ones you need now or the ones you know you will need when your offline.

Navigation! After being forced to use Windows phone and Nokia Drive you really appreciate Google navigation. Ok no offline navigation but still...
The Following User Says Thank You to HTC-Gunge For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HTC-Gunge Ad-Free

19th March 2012, 01:53 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC-Gunge

People you need to embrace the cloud (and get a data plan that allows you to!) Modern devices are designed to be always connected. When I'm at home or in the office or in the coffee shop I'm connected to a WIFI hotspot. When I'm out and about I'm connected to 3G (I dream of 4G but the UK lags behind in this at the moment!). When I'm very rarely offline (air-plane, tunnel, black-spots)... I'm prepared for it!

This is spot on really , it is fairly standard, and as I have already said it seems silly to not buy a device because of an issue that, in reality, isn't really a problem at all.
19th March 2012, 01:57 PM |#23  
Flag DFW
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Using cloud storage and sync is going to be the way to go (...imo). All those backups ect won't need to be needed. Reflash your phone, sync with X providers, all your stuff is there... Side note, I've never came close to using the 32GB microSD I have in my DHD so I'm not worried about the SD Partition.
19th March 2012, 02:03 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCowell

Yet again, the issue is abolished thanks to the 25gb free dropbox storage!

Well. critical data and corporate documents i store NOT @ dropbox. Cloud is in this case not an option for me. especially when you are offline for some reason.
Cloud isn't everything. but it's MY problem

so if a hardkey is hardcodet as a softreset, i'm happy.
19th March 2012, 02:17 PM |#25  
Flag St. Gallen
Thanks Meter: 208

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobiza

Maybe portable charger?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

i thought that too, but it's just not the same.
a portable charger is bigger and needs cables, i can't just put it into my pocket like a spare battery..
and, a spare battery is instant 100%, without the need to let the phone plugged in..

this is the only drawback of the device. except HTC made some wonders and the phone can live two days straight with a power user like me

EDIT: oh and, the cloudstorage. i don't know, but here in switzerland we have an upload rate of not even 100kbit/s. cloudstorage is definitly crap with a speed like this
and yeaaaaaah, dropbox works so awsome when you are on EDGE, EDGE vs the read speed of a SD card is so awsome, oh and 3g! 3g vs the read speed of a SD card.. so awsome..

for me, that cloudstorage aspect is totaly worthless. it's cool to have 25gb dropbox for free, and i will use it for sure, but not with my phone..
19th March 2012, 04:25 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC-Gunge

Store your Music in Google Music (technically US only but there are ways and means...) and I guess other alternatives. Have access to all your music and stream it to your phone. Know your going to be offline? Know you want to listen to some specific albums? Download those to your device for offline play!

Photo's and Videos! Dropbox, google+, and facebook all allow for automatic uploading saving you the need to do it later. Want them on your PC also well dropbox has a client for PC syncing so I never need to manually do it! Plus all my photos and videos are now automaticly backed up!

Documents / OneNotes! I'm using skydrive purely because I'm a PC fan boy but drop box could be used also. With one note and skydrive you always have access to your notes on the go or from any PC!

Books again store your libary in the cloud and just download / sync the ones you need now or the ones you know you will need when your offline.

Navigation! After being forced to use Windows phone and Nokia Drive you really appreciate Google navigation. Ok no offline navigation but still...

battery life is close to non-existence already.. i cant imagine what streaming non-stop will do to the phone..
19th March 2012, 05:45 PM |#27  
Flag Cumberland
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Unhappy
To original topic at hand:

If you don't have the intelligence to sync your data to a cloud (picasa, google contacts, google music, photobucket, google documents, evernote, drop box, anywhere else) to avoid data loss or have a huge chunk of the data offline somewhere else, then you should get a jitterbug.

http://www.amazon.com/Jitterbug-J-Ce...2171603&sr=8-1

As for the NAND and boot image problem, IDK.

Not having an SD card doesn't 'bother' me, though I would like to have more storage because I don't want to stream my music as I use my phone as a primary music source. I think THAT is the real issue. We are being led down this path like the rats with pied piper to be forced to increase our data usage per month and in turn, pay carriers more when exceeding limits. My solution, if streaming music turns out to be costly, then I will get me an ipod touch and conserve battery power on my phone and carry two devices all the time
19th March 2012, 08:04 PM |#28  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 10

Donate to Me
More
Issues addressed while reading, I didnt see everything:

I own an ASUS Transformer. Which uses its internal memory as if it were an SD Card. It's the primary memory location. The developers created a Recovery which would skip this location when doing NAND backups & Recoveries. I'm sure it will be done for the One X as well.

The lack of removable battery w/ freezes is taken care of by the instant power off after holding power button for 10 sec.

and I just bought a portable microusb charger..

also the connectors on the side of the casing basically guarantee that there will be a case made w/ a battery in it, and the contact plating will give it a smaller form factor.
The Following User Says Thank You to vectorized For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vectorized Ad-Free
20th March 2012, 07:37 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
okay, enough with this embracing the cloud junk. The cloud is slow. I don't want my stuff on some server that I may not be able to access. What happens when someone goes into the subway and they have no data access? What happens when you forget to backup something? Syncing, oh that was turned off to save battery or is off because the user is traveling and doesn't feel like paying $10 per KB while out of the coverage area. Where is your cloud then? I have seen people saved by an SD card when their phone is dropped in water and their contacts/apps were on the card. Whew, don't need to start on level 1 again after all that time playing that game. Don't need to facebook everyone to get their numbers again. That chick you met last night, well her number isn't gone forever now. THAT is something I can embrace. Having to depend on a data connection and a server somewhere... sorry, but hell no. I've been screwed by that one before. I want my stuff here and perhaps an additional copy can be in the cloud.
The Following User Says Thank You to htc-ppc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift htc-ppc Ad-Free
20th March 2012, 07:42 AM |#30  
Flag Fallbrook, CA
Thanks Meter: 4,567

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoonikan

To original topic at hand:

If you don't have the intelligence to sync your data to a cloud (picasa, google contacts, google music, photobucket, google documents, evernote, drop box, anywhere else) to avoid data loss or have a huge chunk of the data offline somewhere else, then you should get a jitterbug.

http://www.amazon.com/Jitterbug-J-Ce...2171603&sr=8-1

As for the NAND and boot image problem, IDK.

Not having an SD card doesn't 'bother' me, though I would like to have more storage because I don't want to stream my music as I use my phone as a primary music source. I think THAT is the real issue. We are being led down this path like the rats with pied piper to be forced to increase our data usage per month and in turn, pay carriers more when exceeding limits. My solution, if streaming music turns out to be costly, then I will get me an ipod touch and conserve battery power on my phone and carry two devices all the time

Your solution is the same as paying a carrier for data...you've just paid for another device. Someone's making money regardless

Sent from my coffee pot.
20th March 2012, 02:03 PM |#31  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 534

More
Cloud storage and sync aren't the way to go because they're not feasible. They're over-reliant on a technology infrastructure that doesn't exist. There is no cloud on the underground, I barely ever get maximum speed from my phone when out and about and it's not feasible for me to leave my WiFi on at all times. I'd much rather have an SD slot be in full control of my data and information locally than be susceptible to the rigmarole of the whims of Dropbox. Let's not forget that Facebook and Google were handing over private data to the FBI before it was even formally or legally requested and yet everyone is supposed to be happy to just leave their stuff anywhere? Nope. No SD Card slot is ridiculous. Especially for a device that was by HTC's own admission designed for the likes of people that hang out on here. Dump the SD card on the lower end phones where people expect the same microSD card they've had for the past 10 years to still be a good shout on the newest shiniest phone available at the time of the contract renewals.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)