How to install Clock Work Mod on a100 with unlocked boot loader !

Search This thread

masterpker2

Jan 28, 2012
DISCLAIMER

Thank you to all the DEV'S who have made this possible BIG UPS TO YOU
This worked for me, and in theory if my instructions are followed carefully it will work for you.
However if your results are not the same I am in no way responsible for any dammage done to your tablet!

THE GOOD STUFF
This was tested on Acer A100 on the latest ICS LEAK found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1510706
Also my PC is running windows 7 x64
(Follow install instructions carefully)

First install the latest ICS leak http://vache-android.com/v1/index.ph...files&file=148

Once complete do a factory data reset on your device from the settings/backup and restore menu on the tablet

When that is complete, Root your Device using the method found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1531646
( again Follow instructions Carefully )

BE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOUR DEVICE IS ROOTED BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER!!

Unlock your BOOTLOADER using the method here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1557445
(Really be careful here!)

This is where it gets tricky download http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=369 for your OS and extract recovery_thor17_403.img to the root of your platform-tools folder for instance mine is C:\android-sdk\platform-tools

Once completed on your PC open a command prompt as an administrator and navigate to your platform-tools folder from cmd prompt e.g. cd c:\android-sdk\platform-tools and hit enter

next type the following commands:
adb reboot bootloader

once in bootloader mode type:
fastboot flash recovery recovery_thor17_403.img
and hit enter you will see it flash to your device within a couple of seconds.

once complete with the tablet in upright landscape mode ( home button on the right hand side ) power the device down and power it back on while holding the leftmost volume button firmly when it vibrates you may release the power button.
continue to hold the volume button until you see Booting recovery kernel image on the screen.
if all went well you now have cwm on your device :)

now for rom manager!
boot back into android OS and navigate to the google market, search for rom manager in the upper search pane.
download the app and install
open the app and press ok
next press flask clockworkmod recovery
next confirm your phone model
a popup will say your device is not officially supported press yes
next confirm version 3.x+
and you should be good to go :)

Sent from my A100 using xda premium

Last edited:

oneovakindoldys2

Nov 27, 2011
First check out this post http://www.acertabletforum.com/foru...rkmod-recovery-your-acer-iconia-tab-a200.html

Download the updated file from the above website, extract it to your desktop, and run acera200simpletool.bat and follow the onscreen instructions.

Once complete download the rom manager app from the market and install it.
Once installed open from manager and choose flash clockwork mod recovery from the top of the list, then confirm your device is Acer a100. It will say there is currently no recovery for your device and ask if you installed a custom one, choose yes and select the second option it should say 3.x.x or something to that effect. Again confirm your selection and tada you now have cwm and a working from manager. I have tested this and made a complete backup already. Cheers :)

hello masterpcker...Did you install anything else first? Were you just using the standard a100 root? Also, did you unlock your bootloader beforehand? thanks so much friend

masterpker2

Jan 28, 2012
Yes I unlocked my boot loader first, and my device was rooted so all I did was run the .bat file from the above website and choose option 3 install recovery only. I am about to try a modded a500 from and see what it does.

oneovakindoldys2

Nov 27, 2011
Yes I unlocked my boot loader first, and my device was rooted so all I did was run the .bat file from the above website and choose option 3 install recovery only. I am about to try a modded a500 from and see what it does.

I will be eager to hear how that comes out! I wish you the best of luck, but I'm not real confident. let us know the outcome if you don't mind....good luck!

myster1ous

Dec 18, 2010
For some reason I followed the directions to install CWM and it doesn't work.

When I try to boot to recovery all I see is the android mascot on it's back with a warning sign. If I press the home button it brings up the Android System Recovery, which I believe is the stock recovery. I'm not even sure how to select the items. I can only highlight the menu items using the volume keys.

It doesn't look like the cwm that I have flashed on my atrix.

Any ideas?

Edit...

Btw, I did unlock my bootloader :D

Last edited:

masterpker2

Jan 28, 2012
Well the a500 modded rom was a bust, it just booted to a really colorful screen lol. But my Android backup worked great for reinstall :)

masterpker2

Jan 28, 2012
Myster1ous what os are you running and what method for root did you use?

oneovakindoldys2

Nov 27, 2011
I did, nothing still. I'm going to have to look at the batch file and manually input in the commands. Maybe that will do a difference
Did you ever get it to work properly? I am having the same problem now.

@masterpker2...are you running linux? i am running windows 7 here and i am getting a [cant install recovery.img] from the a200 batch.....did you have any problems with this to begin with? thanks

myster1ous

Dec 18, 2010
Did you ever get it to work properly? I am having the same problem now.

@masterpker2...are you running linux? i am running windows 7 here and i am getting a [cant install recovery.img] from the a200 batch.....did you have any problems with this to begin with? thanks

Nope, never got it working.

I had to dd it to the correct partition and then I was able to get in, but I don't recommend doing it that way!

What's the syntax did you use to dd to the device?
I found this dd syntax in the other thread. That the same one you used?

Code:
 su 
dd if=/mnt/external_sd/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1

Last edited:

leclasheur22

Feb 5, 2012
-Extract the zip folder "recoverycwma100" ( It's a recovery into Acer a200 simple tool )
-Copy ''recovery.img'' into your external sd card
-open a terminal emulator to your A100 ( root acces !!! )
- Write the following commands :

su
dd if = / mnt / external_sd / recovery.img of = / dev/block/mmcblk0p1

-wait a message '' xxxx bytes transferred in... ''
-exit terminal

-open root explorer with a mount system
-rename the file '' install-recovery.sh'' into /etc/ it '' install-recovery.bak''

Reboot into recovery with volum down + power , and Enjoy :)

Attachments

• recoverycwma100.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 1,848
Last edited:

littleemp

May 18, 2011
-Extract the zip folder "recoverycwma100" ( It's a recovery into Acer a200 simple tool )

su

-exit

Can't we just go into fastboot and use fastboot flash recovery recovery.img?

blmvxer

Jan 13, 2012
If you're running linux or just want to use adb it's way more simple than it looks.

Code:
Adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot

And if you brick your device by accidently installing the wrong boot.img
find your respected rom .zip file that you are currently using and use this.

Code:
Adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot

oneovakindoldys2

Nov 27, 2011
If you're running linux or just want to use adb it's way more simple than it looks.

Code:
Adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot

And if you brick your device by accidently installing the wrong boot.img
find your respected rom .zip file that you are currently using and use this.

Code:
Adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot
I can confirm that I have already flashed the recovery.img via fastboot, however cwm still fails on my particular tab. I did a full factory reset and flashed the entire new ics through recovery with the exact same results. I will be investigating the cause of some tabs doing this later tonight when I get home from work. If someone figures this out please post. I have gotten the recovery.img to flash via the a200cwm, however android exclamation upon recovery attempt. i have tried all three paths with no success. I am almost certain that it is a problem with the rooting method, but i won't have time to have a look until tonight. thanks and goodluck! I think the problem could be because of installing different rooting methods in the past, however I have yet to find a way to solve it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER

Thank you to all the DEV'S who have made this possible BIG UPS TO YOU
    This worked for me, and in theory if my instructions are followed carefully it will work for you.
    However if your results are not the same I am in no way responsible for any dammage done to your tablet!

THE GOOD STUFF
    This was tested on Acer A100 on the latest ICS LEAK found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1510706
    Also my PC is running windows 7 x64
    (Follow install instructions carefully)

First install the latest ICS leak http://vache-android.com/v1/index.ph...files&file=148

Once complete do a factory data reset on your device from the settings/backup and restore menu on the tablet

When that is complete, Root your Device using the method found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1531646
    ( again Follow instructions Carefully )

BE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOUR DEVICE IS ROOTED BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER!!

Unlock your BOOTLOADER using the method here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1557445
    (Really be careful here!)

This is where it gets tricky download http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=369 for your OS and extract recovery_thor17_403.img to the root of your platform-tools folder for instance mine is C:\android-sdk\platform-tools

Once completed on your PC open a command prompt as an administrator and navigate to your platform-tools folder from cmd prompt e.g. cd c:\android-sdk\platform-tools and hit enter

next type the following commands:
    adb reboot bootloader

once in bootloader mode type:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery_thor17_403.img
    and hit enter you will see it flash to your device within a couple of seconds.

once complete with the tablet in upright landscape mode ( home button on the right hand side ) power the device down and power it back on while holding the leftmost volume button firmly when it vibrates you may release the power button.
    continue to hold the volume button until you see Booting recovery kernel image on the screen.
    if all went well you now have cwm on your device :)

now for rom manager!
    boot back into android OS and navigate to the google market, search for rom manager in the upper search pane.
    download the app and install
    open the app and press ok
    next press flask clockworkmod recovery
    next confirm your phone model
    a popup will say your device is not officially supported press yes
    next confirm version 3.x+
    and you should be good to go :)

su

-exit terminal

-open root explorer with a mount system
    -rename the file '' install-recovery.sh'' into /etc/ it '' install-recovery.bak''

Iv'e done all my reading and I'm getting ready to perform the steps in the OP. I have already decided to SKIP the Rom Manager steps as it appears as if others have been doing just fine with the "thor" Recovery. Agree?
    The Rom Manager step does not replace the recovery. It just links the thor recovery to Rom Manager so you are able to boot into recovery via rom manager, download things via rom manager, etc.

The question I have before I start relates to the "install-recovey.sh" file. I assume that if the OP is followed word for word, that the installation of ROM manger and the subsequent flashing of the latest CWM through ROM manager alleviates the requirement to delete or rename this file? If not, then the OP would have included steps on how to do so or has he simply missed the extra step?
    The OP left out that step. You will have to rename it. It is located in the /etc/ and /system/etc/ directory. Renaming one, renames the other.
    Bottom line .... I appear to be a user that WILL need to delete or rename this file. This said, please confirm that as long as I don't attempt to Initialize Recovery before doing so that I am fine? In other words my plan is to flash Thor, Reboot to the system and then rename the file using Root Explorer. Once this is done I should be able to download Quick Boot and enter Thor Recovery anytime I want. Can someone please confirm these steps?

Thanks.
    It flashes the stock recovery on boot. So you have to reflash the thor recovery after you rename the file. Basically, rename the file before flashing the thor recovery.
    Acer recovery installer will be available very soon. Planning on releasing a beta version within a couple off days.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    My problem is windows vista, even though the laptop has the a100 drivers installed, when I open the programs it never sees my a100 on usb, when I code "adb devices" it shows empty. I can not go on a100 to download mode ( I dont know if it will help) but laptop connects to my a100 without a problem, and it shows on the computer. any ideas to pass that problem?
    Thanks again.

Adb and MTP are different, make sure usb debugging is turned on or it won't even begin to work.