[ PETITION ] Add an option to let us choose Metro Interface or not [ SIGN IT ]

Search This thread

fed44

Sep 22, 2010
Thats the thing, you disabled Metro and gave up when you couldn't instead of trying to figure out metro…

Also the preview operating Systems are supposed to be for people to get an impression of the future operating System. If you are even considering when the Support for that Version is going to end you should not be using it. Also trying to get the old Version of the operating Version on a preview is stupid, if you don't want to test the new os why do you install the test version? Chances are you have ruined it for yourself simply because you were not able to figure it out yourself and currently you just rant on about how you hate it, with nothing to back it up. You should have waited for the RTM Version which should have a guide for noobs like you...

Reactions: dazza9075

Andrea Borman

Mar 20, 2012
Re-Windows8-

Thats the thing, you disabled Metro and gave up when you couldn't instead of trying to figure out metro…

Also the preview operating Systems are supposed to be for people to get an impression of the future operating System. If you are even considering when the Support for that Version is going to end you should not be using it. Also trying to get the old Version of the operating Version on a preview is stupid, if you don't want to test the new os why do you install the test version? Chances are you have ruined it for yourself simply because you were not able to figure it out yourself and currently you just rant on about how you hate it, with nothing to back it up. You should have waited for the RTM Version which should have a guide for noobs like you...

So when Microsoft release the final version of Windows 8 that will go out on sale to the public. Does that mean they will put in an option to disable the Metro theme and have the Windows 7 start menu,like they did in DP? Andrea Borman.

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Indeed I did forget pinning, thank you for reminding me, your right, that again was a huge increase in productivity, having programs and even Web sites pinned is a very handy feature.

Andrea, ive seen your videos and im sorry to say but you are simply wrong in just about every way possible and also very much in the minority, also these sweeping statements and more likely the attitude behind them are what gets you kicked off other web sites.

Here folk will be willing to help you learn, they will spend time supporting almost anyone but there has to be a willingness to learn and im not getting that impression

You binned Win8 before you gave it a chance, you are stuck in the past. Now im not saying Metro is the future, (although like fed44 im using it just fine now)but I can promise you this, the start menu dating back to Windows 95 is most definitely the past, whatever the future is, it wont be that because it is slow and very inefficient.

If you intention is to come on here and slag it off based on (and in your own words) a preconceived idea of Win 8 from "what you have read" - without being open to the fact that you might be wrong and too hasty then it might be time to head off. If on the other hand you want to give it a go, ask questions on the best way to do things then feel free to stick around.

Now, the DP and the CP are not for end users, they are for testing, the sole purpose is to actually use the damn thing despite what you think about it and provide MS with as much feed back as possible so that they can then see what the general feel for it is and make changes were needed. I have absolutely no time for anyone who wacked it on, binned it at the first opportunity then comes on here slagging it off based on a hour long test drive, you simply cant get to grips with it that quick

Will the start menu be enabled? I very much doubt it will until it goes RTM, and even then Im not sure it will, the reason being, MS KNOWS what the start menu does, its been using it for decades it doesn't need testing, Metro needs testing, and you downloading the DP again does nothing to help that!

As for you using Linux, good luck with that, it may have a start menu of sorts but there is a good reason it has <5% market share.

Reactions: fed44

shobon

Sep 9, 2010
Connecticut
Because 200 people signing an online petition will get Microsoft to change the way their OS functions.

I'm sorry but you guys must be new here, online petitions rarely/never work. Not to mention it's Microsoft, the only people they care about are themselves and the OEM's.

ShadowEO

Mar 15, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Well not having the start menu was not the only problem with Windows 8 CP. The ribbon in Windows Explorer froze my mouse. So I could not search for files or send short cuts to the desktop. And Windows 8 CP is very very slow and crashes.

Windows 8 CP runs perfectly on my 1.66GHz Intel Atom N450. Also as for Metro being completely useless on a netbook, I must disagree. Just one word for that comment, Downscale.

And like a lot of Windows users I cannot work without my start menu. On Windows 8 DP you could disable the Metro theme and get the Windows 7 start menu back.And this also disabled the ribbon. And also even if you did use the Metro theme,which I did not. You still had the Windows XP start menu while in the Metro theme thanks to Classic Shell.

Your still re-iterating things that we've already told you are untrue. The start menu is there, only in a different form, I even told you how to get to it, I even told you where the "All Programs" folder is (which btw, is not named All Programs, the folder is simply Start Menu\Programs).

The fact that you still maintain this "no start menu" facade tells me you didn't even try the steps I told you to get to your "All Programs" in metro. You even state "Even if you did use the Metro theme,which I did not", Then how do you know that there is no Start Menu in Windows 8 if you have never used Metro to begin with?

But you cannot disable the Metro theme at all on Windows 8 CP. There are two programs that will give you back the Windows 7 start menu.V Start brings back both the start orb and Windows 7 start menu in Windows 8 CP. But it does not do this automatically.

First you have find the hidden all programs folder, and link it to it, before this will work. And as it is hidden I could not find it. Start Menu 7 also brings back the Windows 7 start menu. But none of these two software will disable the Metro theme. So even though you will have the Windows 7 start menu,you will still have to have the Metro theme.

First of all. The All Programs folder is not "Hidden", I told you approximately where the User Profile's start menu resides, The Machine Programs folder is in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" (I believe that's where it is, I haven't had to look for it for a while now). Also it's not called the "All Programs" as you can see from the paths I posted, it is called the Start Menu folder just as all the previous versions had called it.

Secondly, they did NOT include an official (as in a settings switch) off-switch for Metro in DP, That was a registry key to enable the Red Pill additions which just so happened to be already active in DP as they wanted public testing done for Metro, the reason it's not there in CP is because the red pill features are merged with CP and are now part of the overall operating system.

If not having the start menu was the only reason for not using Windows 8 CP. I would just install V Start and that would solve the problem. But just about everything is wrong with this version of Windows-Windows 8 CP as I mentioned.

Here we go again, re-iterating false statements that you yourself stated you have no knowledge of as you haven't used Metro at all and therefore have not striven to find yourself the very core point of your argument.

My advice is if you have not tried Windows 8 Consumer preview,don't bother. Or you will uninstall it like I did and go back to Windows 7. Andrea Borman.

My advice is to at least try Metro in CP for a while and then make your decision based on that rather than based on the FUD that's being spread around, It's not a bad UI and once you get used to it the speed it takes to navigate is the same if not faster than Windows 7. (After learning how it works, All the little quirks, etc. eg: Right-Clicking the start screen where there is no pinned tile and hitting "All Apps" which gives you all your old Start Menu shortcuts complete with their Start Menu groups so you know what is where.)

You can also still search the Start Menu at any time by pressing Search on the Charms Bar and then typing your query and clicking Apps (if it doesn't default to it.) or by pressing Start and typing.

Also dazza9075, Technically, if you count Android (as it runs on top of a Linux Kernel), the Market Share for Linux is probably a little above <5%

Last edited:

Andrea Borman

Mar 20, 2012
Re Windows 8-

dazza9075wrote-
Andrea, ive seen your videos and im sorry to say but you are simply wrong in just about every way possible and also very much in the minority, also these sweeping statements and more likely the attitude behind them are what gets you kicked off other web sites.

What videos did you see?

I only made one video about Windows 8 developers Preview.Which I split into 4 parts,the first 2 showing it in action with the Metro theme. Then parts 3 and 4 with the Metro theme disabled.And yes the Metro theme on DP was more user friendly and I also had the Windows XP start menu that I used while I was in Metro. Thanks to Classic Shell which helped me a lot. But it ran better with the Metro theme disabled.

Now if they had made CP like DP it would solve all our problems.With the Windows 7,XP or classic Start menu,you can see all of your programs. And even short cuts in the start menu. And also you can even remove any short cuts you do not want from the start menu.

For example when you first install Google Chrome,you get the uninstall short cut on in the start menu. But I do not want to click on that short cut to uninstall it by mistake. And I don't want anyone else who uses the computer to click the uninstall short cut by mistake. So I just delete the short cut. But you need the full old fashioned Windows start menu to do this.

You need the Windows 7,start menu to see all of your programs and settings and everything on your computer. But the Metro start menu DOES NOT show all of your settings,short cuts and programs on your computer. So you cannot find them.

But not having the start menu was not the only problem I had with Windows 8 CP. I spent all night trying to get it to work and overcome the problems. But could not. So in the end I had to give up. Andrea Borman.

ShadowEO

Mar 15, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
For example when you first install Google Chrome,you get the uninstall short cut on in the start menu. But I do not want to click on that short cut to uninstall it by mistake. And I don't want anyone else who uses the computer to click the uninstall short cut by mistake. So I just delete the short cut. But you need the full old fashioned Windows start menu to do this.

Wrong, you can do this inside of Windows Explorer. Furthermore, How would someone uninstall Google Chrome by mistake when it is clearly sorted in with Google Chrome's program group? Windows CP does do program groups within the All Apps menu now.

You need the Windows 7,start menu to see all of your programs and settings and everything on your computer. But the Metro start menu DOES NOT show all of your settings,short cuts and programs on your computer. So you cannot find them.

Wrong again, Type Uninstall a Program in Metro and hit Settings, It's there. Press Start, then Right click on an empty space and press All Apps, There's your start menu shortcuts sorted by their respective program groups. I can also search for any application installed, and files for that matter.

But not having the start menu was not the only problem I had with Windows 8 CP. I spent all night trying to get it to work and overcome the problems. But could not. So in the end I had to give up. Andrea Borman.

Your still wrong, refer to my previous post.

You can keep ignoring me, but I'll keep responding to you and you'll still be wrong about everything in the quoted post.

I'm trying to share with you information about the Metro Start Screen so you can test Metro properly instead of writing it off as deficient. Downscaling makes all the apps work, and if you only downscale to 1024x768 you barely notice it after a while (I use a downscaled display everyday in Windows 8 just for Metro apps).

Last edited:

Andrea Borman

Mar 20, 2012
Re windows 8-

dazza9070

Well dazza9070, you have found out before I did. I have just been back on the website at both Windows 7 forums and Windows 8 forums which are run by the same people. And they have banned me. See here-http://windows8forums.com/members/andrea-borman.html

I cannot believe it. Well I am shocked but not surprised. I think my posts about how bad Windows 8 is and my jokes about it. Made a lot of members there angry with me.Also a lot of members who insulted me on some of the threads have also been banned from both Windows 7 and Windows 8 forums.

One member on Windows 8 forums who like me was also a member of Windows 7 forums and has also been banned. He started a thread about it after his ban was lifted by the admin. But got banned again two days ago for life,along with another member.

Well according to my ban messages I have been banned for life to from those two forums.Along with those other banned members.

But the funny thing is that the admin of Windows 7 and Windows 8 forums said they would like to get to know me better and gave me his Skype user name. And asked me to join their live chat on Skype. And now 2 days later they ban me.

I don't understand some people. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:

ShadowEO

Mar 15, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Well dazza9070, you have found out before I did. I have just been back on the website at both Windows 7 forum and Windows 8 forums which are run by the same people. And they have banned me. See here-http://windows8forums.com/members/andrea-borman.html

I cannot believe it. Well I am shocked but not surprised. I think my posts about how bad Windows 8 is and my jokes about it. Made a lot of members there angry with me.Also a lot of members who insulted me on some of the threads have also been banned from both Windows 7 and Windows 8 forums.

One member on Windows 8 forums who like me was also a member of Windows 7 forums and has also been banned. He started a thread about it after his ban was lifted by the admin. But got banned again two days ago for life,along with another member.

Well according to my ban messages I have been banned for life to from those two forums.Along with those other banned members.

But the funny thing is that the admin of Windows 7 and Windows 8 forums said they would like to get to know me better and gave me his Skype user name. And asked me to join their live chat on Skype. And now 2 days later they ban me.

I don't understand some people. Andrea Borman.

Your statements kinda seemed a little pass-the-public-fud-off-as-facty, A little openness goes a long way. I implore you, attempt to use the Consumer Preview for what it was designed for, there have been a lot of improvements to Metro since the version introduced in Developers Preview. The reason we got a little heated was because you had been stating things known to be false yet saying that you've never actually used Metro UI for more than a few seconds and then continuing to do so even after being corrected more than one time within a short timeframe.

We also have no way of telling whether your statements are jokes or not, Windows 8 is not a bad OS at all, but I can't really see them putting a classic menu option into Windows 8 at all. They've supported the Classic Menu in different forms up till now and it's been the exact same thing since '95. A change in direction is certainly welcome.

I'm sure that once Windows 8 hits RTM though, they'll have a more user-friendly introduction program that will show you how to use Metro efficiently and effectively. They did it with Windows 3.1, and Again when the Start Menu debuted on Windows 95. It would seem that they've done this for every major UI change so I guess it would make sense to do one for Metro UI as well.

Andrea Borman

Mar 20, 2012
Re Windows 8-

Well there was a lot of friction going on on both Windows 7 forums and Windows 8 forums due to my posts about Windows 8. When I said we should write to our President and Prime Ministers and go to the European Court Of Human Rights asking them to ban Windows 8. I don't think they liked it. And a lot of members did complain about me.

One of the other members who got banned 2 days ago before me got banned because he wrote-
Windows 8 forums member said-
I have to deal with nuts working a a paramedic all day long.I cannot deal with nuts while I am working at my hobby. This woman has made unstable comments.

And they banned him for that on Tuesday this week,but unbanned him on Thursday. But banned him for life a few hours later along with another member when he started a thread about his ban and made more bad comments about me.So they banned him and his friend another member.

Then the admin told me that the banned member had started his own forum and was using the site and me as the scapegoat to get 50 other members to join his forum.

I think that when I posted on the same thread after the admin told me this it slipped out in my post by accident.When on that thread they were talking about the banned member. And I said he wanted to use me as the scapegoat to get members over to his forum. And I could have got banned for that. But I don't know.

But my ban message was-

Windows 8 forums and Windows 7 forums ban message-
Too late. You have been banned for violation of terms of service.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never.

So as far as those two forums go it looks like I am out of there. Andrea Borman.

ShadowEO

Mar 15, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Well there was a lot of friction going on on both Windows 7 forums and Windows 8 forums due to my posts about Windows 8. When I said we should write to our President and Prime Ministers and go to the European Court Of Human Rights asking them to ban Windows 8. I don't think they liked it. And a lot of members did complain about me.

One of the other members who got banned 2 days ago before me got banned because he wrote-

And they banned him for that on Tuesday this week,but unbanned him on Thursday. But banned him for life a few hours later along with another member when he started a thread about his ban and made more bad comments about me.So they banned him and his friend another member.

Then the admin told me that the banned member had started his own forum and was using the site and me as the scapegoat to get 50 other members to join his forum.

I think that when I posted on the same thread after the admin told me this it slipped out in my post by accident.When on that thread they were talking about the banned member. And I said he wanted to use me as the scapegoat to get members over to his forum. And I could have got banned for that. But I don't know.

But my ban message was-

So as far as those two forums go it looks like I am out of there. Andrea Borman.

I do however think that trying to get Windows 8 banned is a little ridiculous, It would be the same as trying to fight innovation and progress with a gigantic stick that says "Old Fashioned" on it, personally, I, as well as half my family, find Metro to be rather aesthetically pleasing and more simple to use. As for whatever happened on those other two forums, please try to keep it out of here, it's not really that relevant although from what I see on your Visitor Messages, one of the Administrators had warned you against constantly restating your arguing points like you were doing just a little while ago. Either way, Your here, not there sooo.....

Welcome to XDA, I'm rather new here too if you can't tell lol. May we all work in the pursuit of knowledge together :D

Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
you don't get banned without good reason, I suspect it was because you keep repeating the same thing with very little understanding what it is you are talking about.

I personally was skeptical of windows 8 Metro when it came out, but after putting the effort in to using it and providing constructive feedback to MS over the issues ive identified I am now happy to say I really like it. There is a lot of FUD out there to do with Win 8 an from what I can tell you are just regurgitating that same FUD without actually using it.

I strongly suggest you read back through these comments over the last few pages and if you are up for the challenge try windows 8 WITH metro for a longer period of time WITHOUT your preconceived opinions of it being crap.

I can promise you this, if you keep saying things like Win 8 Nightmare preview you will gain no respect and MS will not listen, if you use the OS, feedback your CONSTRUCTIVE comments to them once you have got a handle of how it works MS is much more likely to listen, why? because if you do this I can also promise you that you will not be alone in those opinions. But you cant be blinkered to the Metro / Start menu issue, you have to think like a tester be open minded and ask for support (and we will give it here) because that is what YOU asked to be remember. If you cant do those things, if you cant be willing to learn the OS in its current form then there is no point you trying it.

And yes, using your name as a login detail is rather daft, I could if I could be bothered tie you to all sorts of things including your location, it took a whole 30 seconds to find your previous posts in other forums and your various FB details / page.

If you want the help then put in the effort, if not (and from what ive read I don't think you will change) don't use it and more importantly don't spread yet more FUD about it based on your inaccurate opinions.

Because 200 people signing an online petition will get Microsoft to change the way their OS functions.

I'm sorry but you guys must be new here, online petitions rarely/never work. Not to mention it's Microsoft, the only people they care about are themselves and the OEM's.

Not so my friend, that is the reason for the public beta, because many people will use it for what it is intended for, testing. There's more feedback links in this OS than on any other CP ive used, if there is a consistent trend in that feedback MS will be much more willing to listen IF people use the feedback option constructively. But yes the petition is completely useless :)

Also dazza9075, Technically, if you count Android (as it runs on top of a Linux Kernel), the Market Share for Linux is probably a little above <5%

ha! your right, But its hard to call them the same OS given that Android has embraced (in my opinion) changes that Linux desktop should have done years ago :)

Last edited:

Andrea Borman

Mar 20, 2012
Re Windows 8 and my ban from Windows 8 forums-

I do however think that trying to get Windows 8 banned is a little ridiculous, It would be the same as trying to fight innovation and progress with a gigantic stick that says "Old Fashioned" on it, personally, I, as well as half my family, find Metro to be rather aesthetically pleasing and more simple to use. As for whatever happened on those other two forums, please try to keep it out of here, it's not really that relevant although from what I see on your Visitor Messages, one of the Administrators had warned you against constantly restating your arguing points like you were doing just a little while ago. Either way, Your here, not there sooo.....

Welcome to XDA, I'm rather new here too if you can't tell lol. May we all work in the pursuit of knowledge together :D

Well you can read the thread for yourself on Windows 8 Forums and you will see how silly it all is to ban me. Here-http://windows8forums.com/windows-8-beta-builds-leaks/4848-consumer-preview-download-8.html

This was just one of my many posts about how I feel about Windows 8 CP. I said the same thing about Windows 8 DP, but that was better.

Also over on Neowin forums I got a private warning from one of the moderators about my posts about Windows 8. On this thread here-http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1052969-who-uses-windows-8-as-primary-os/page__st__510

But there is nothing offensive in any of those posts. But Neowin forums are quite strict. After I got wrongly banned from Seven Forums a few months ago. I started a thread on there about it on Neowin forums. And they changed my thread from public view to private view. So no one but other members could read it. And then the moderator came along and locked the thread.

But the whole thing was silly as what was so offensive about me talking about my ban from Seven Forums that made them change my thread from public view to private view? And they locked the thread soon afterwards anyway. Which was also stupid because as it was made private view against my wishes.No one would see it anyway and search engines would not be able to index it.

Some forums just make something out of nothing. Andrea Borman.

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
But the whole thing was silly as what was so offensive about me talking about my ban from Seven Forums that made them change my thread from public view to private view? And they locked the thread soon afterwards anyway. Which was also stupid because as it was made private view against my wishes.No one would see it anyway and search engines would not be able to index it.

Some forums just make something out of nothing. Andrea Borman.

if you want me to be honest, you were banned because you were being stupid.

You seem to have a need to spread your inaccurate opinions as far and wide as possible, forums FB etc! im not sure why you see it as you personal crusade to spread FUD to the masses but like yourself others out there will read what you wrote and believe it or not (as you have done your self) they will take that as the truth, when in your case that's simple not true

Listen to what im telling you, none of us what to see you banned or slated or whatever, all of us would be willing to guide you, but YOU NEED TO LISTEN AND LEARN! The community is for sharing, this site is built upon the principle of learning, what you are doing is preaching FUD as fact.

Now, first things first, read and understand these rules
http://xdaforums.com/announcement.php?f=341
Next, if you want to continue this conversation install win 8 again, be open minded and LISTEN, then make a new thread in a GENERAL sub forum, you will have no business in a developers forum

This thread has been well and truly hijacked and I think now is the time to move away before someone does it for us. If you want to learn win 8 post back here the link to the thread (don't call it Win 8 Nightmare or anything stupid!!) if you don't want to learn then lets leave this thread alone.

Thank you.

Andrea Borman

Mar 20, 2012
Re Windows 8-

Well dazza9075,it seems that you found out before I did that I was banned from Windows 8 Forums and Windows 7 Forums.

At first when you mentioned my ban from other forums I thought you meant Seven Forums. Because I made a video about it a few months ago. But it was only when I went back on the Windows 8 forums site and on Windows 7 Forums.And I saw "banned" under my user name that I found out.

But this time I was not the only one banned. As other members who were involved in the argument against me were also banned.

And another thing you are right about is that if you have been banned from other forums you should not really post under the same user name. As that could stop you being accepted from other forums. If they know you were banned from your last forum. But then I have done nothing criminal. So I have got nothing to hide.Andrea Borman.

Last edited:

ShadowEO

Mar 15, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Well dazza9075,it seems that you found out before I did that I was banned from Windows 8 Forums and Windows 7 Forums.

At first when you mentioned my ban from other forums I thought you meant Seven Forums. Because I made a video about it a few months ago. But it was only when I went back on the Windows 8 forums site and on Windows 7 Forums.And I saw "banned" under my user name that I found out.

But this time I was not the only one banned. As other members who were involved in the argument against me were also banned.

And another thing you are right about is that if you have been banned from other forums you should not really post under the same user name. As that could stop you being accepted from other forums. If they know you were banned from your last forum. But then I have done nothing criminal. So I have got nothing to hide.Andrea Borman.

We're getting off topic people lol
Also can't help but that this conversation is best finished in its own thread or private message, it doesn't really seem too relevant except for dazza's points. Like I said earlier this is XDA, not seven forums not any other forums except XDA.

Andrea Borman

Mar 20, 2012
Re Windows 8-

Well however much I or anybody else moans about the Metro theme.We have no control over what a software maker does. If they want to make Windows 8 with the Metro theme only there is nothing we can do about it.

But I have made up my mind that if I did buy a new laptop in the future and it had Windows 8 on it. If i did not like it I would install windows 7 on it. You can do this if you have a full installation CD and you have never used the product key on any other computers.

But I have read that Microsoft are thinking of putting secure boot on new Windows 8 laptops. What does this mean? Does it mean that we won't be able to install Windows 7 or Linux on a Windows 8 laptop? Andrea Borman.

Last edited:

jasongw

All I can say about this petition is: **** NO.

If Metro is an option, it won't be supported, for the same reasons that Nintendo couldn't have had success with the Wii Remote if they'd just released it as an addon for Gamecube.

Metro MUST be the default, end of story. If it's not, then it simply withers and dies. By making it default, it'll have the support it needs to grow and mature. The desktop is ALREADY mature--it's everything it will ever be.

I'll take Metro front and center, HAPPILY.

Reactions: Robin2

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
All I can say about this petition is: **** NO.

If Metro is an option, it won't be supported, for the same reasons that Nintendo couldn't have had success with the Wii Remote if they'd just released it as an addon for Gamecube.

Metro MUST be the default, end of story. If it's not, then it simply withers and dies. By making it default, it'll have the support it needs to grow and mature. The desktop is ALREADY mature--it's everything it will ever be.

I'll take Metro front and center, HAPPILY.

im inclined to agree, sometimes the hard thing is the right thing and I honestly think if people sat down with this for more than a few hours and used it they would soon come to like it. If I could just get my sound card drivers on my main PC to work id be using it exclusively alas I have to use HDMI pass through which isn't ideal and sounds terrible.

jasongw

im inclined to agree, sometimes the hard thing is the right thing and I honestly think if people sat down with this for more than a few hours and used it they would soon come to like it. If I could just get my sound card drivers on my main PC to work id be using it exclusively alas I have to use HDMI pass through which isn't ideal and sounds terrible.

The trouble I see primarily is that people are, frankly, lazy and stupid. If they spent a tenth the time they waste on *****ing to actually LEARN something about the new UI, they'd master it like nobody's business and see what a terrific UI innovation it really is.

I'll be a day one adopter, both in hardware and software for Windows 8, and my Macbook and iPad are getting chucked into the past where they belong. There is no way I'll go back to using a stale, static icon-grid UI after getting used to Metro, even with a mouse and keyboard (which, by the way, I find to be lightning fast).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you can't accept Metro then stay with Windows 7, simple as that. Support for Win7 has been extended till 2020 so there is no need to move on to Windows 8 if you don't like its interface.
    I think i can see why youve been going through so many forums with this "issue"

Look, things change, its a fact of life, you talk about the start menu being some amazing invention that can not be bettered. But as a professional computer user i have used the start menu less and less over the last few years since Vista. The reason is the search bar.

typing the name of the program is that much quicker then sifting through a never ending list of programs. That is development, that is change which is believe it or not is better for you.

Metro has taken that to the next level and i have to admit it has taken a while to get the hang of it but now im there and its actually very very good. As already mentioned, metro IS just a big start menu with more infomation on it.

You talk about Windows 8 and not being able to disable metro as a bad thing?
    Did you ever stop to think that perhaps, just maybe MS was forced in to doing this for EXACTLY the reason you want to do it, because people like you would disable it and not test it as YOU signed up to do

To be honest, there is little point continuing this conversation unless you do both of the following,

A - Tell us what it is about it that you dont understand and cant get used to (given that you binned it after a few moments without any thought i doubt this is an option)
    B - Take a more mature look at things and be open minded to change

If you cant do both of those then i suggest you dont sign up to be a software tester any more, its a waste of bandwidth and a waste of time of people like us who do test things propperly and want to talk in a mature informed way about it.

Win 8 isnt perfect yet, but not for the reason you talk about.

edit: I apologize for emplying your not mature (ie a 12 year old kid) but i stand by the point for whatever reason, your not taking a mature look at this.
    Hi there people,

I've started a petition in Change.org hopping that Microsoft listen to it.

Let me be clear about it:

I am not asking to neutralize Metro, as I understand it is the only way to have a proper Windows, fully funtional, into a Touch device, such tablets or laptops.

I am only asking to let us decide if we want Metro activated or not in Desktop PCs. Today's world is made of decisions. Let us decide on our own what we want.

We will all have the same Kernel, same core and same quality and performance, and being able to choose interface, will add the best experience for each one of us: the one we trully want.

Please sign the petition, and make it reach Microsoft.

Thank u very much.

http://www.change.org/petitions/microsoft-company-allow-to-disable-or-decide-whether-we-want-metro-interface-or-not

PS: I couldn' find Microsoft e-mail from Redmond or similar, if anyone has it, please PM me, and I'll add it to the petition.:rolleyes:
    I am not against Metro, I like it, but against HOW they implemented it for desktop PCs. For tablets and netbooks or smaller notebooks with touchscreen it's actually realy great.

The point is the missing harmony between the old styled windows desktop you are using the most time if you are at home or at work and the new Metro UI, espacily the switching between the two modes and the implemantation of elemental functions like the system settings.

It's like an interuption if you "click" start. I am not against a new type of "start menu/screen" but it should fit the design and "feeling". It should support the (desktop)user in his work. In the current way this is not possible. The Metro surface allows to pin this realy nice live tiles (I realy like them!)... but if I push the start button I want to start a new application to do some work.
    Ok, I can pin my favourite applications on the screen like I did with Windows 7 by pinning my mostly used programs to the start screen. But some applications I am using are changing by time so i enjoy the feature of the dynamical menu entries of frequently used programs like in vista and 7. If I want the same quick program launch on Metro I have to pin a lot of tiles to the screen and the live tiles become obsolete because they are somewhere right out of the screen.

They could have done it so much better...

the best way (in my oppinion) for desktops would have been to
    a) chose between metro on - metro off
    or
    b)go much further:
    1. consistent design (colors, icons, fonts,...)
    2. pin live tiles on the desktop (like on metro start screen, maybe with a smaller size) or the taskbar (only with the notification, no messages, like it's done on MacOS or the IE9)
    3. run Metro styled apps in a new kind of window including the buttons from the charmbar (share, search, settings). so all this "swiping" (with a mouse!) is not necesary but you get some kind of consistence between the usability of tablets, deskopts, and phone but keep the simple task management from windows.
    4. a start menu mix between the old one and the search dialog from Metro.

Hm... just noticed my english sucks to express my rage about win 8 xD
    Maybe I should run Photoshop and make some concepts how it should look
    Well first of all, all the stability issues / crashes / mouse freezes are either because it's beta Software which just will have bugs and probably more likely due to the fact that you pull your batteries to shutdown your netbook. The start menu is different, but not necessarily more difficult to use, those who have extensively read the B8 blog Posts will know the Advantages of Metro and will learn to appreciate it. Take for instance Keyboard usage of the start menu: It has not changed one bit, except for the fact that the larger Screen estate allows you to see more important stuff. (WinKey -> Search (e.g. "notepad") -> enter. On single Monitor Setups (as dazza has mentioned Multi Monitors still have their quirks, though a certain gesturish circle that bumps the corner does the trick) the mouse works extremely efficiently, even on trackpads, because you basically have a mouse gesture of moving your mouse into the Corners and then either up or down depending on which Corner you are using.

Also as usual you dismiss Metro because you can't and therefore havent tried it, you have only tried the start menu. There is still a way to shutdown (I would like to see it below the log off button when you click your user) by bringing up the charms bar on the right, clicking on Settings (can also be reached with Win+I) and clicking power. You can also very quickly shutdown using ctrl+alt+del. Ctrl+alt+del is also what you can use instead of swiping up that lock Screen thing to log in.

Lastly my impression of Windows 8 is that it is loads faster than Windows 7, both to use and with all the Performance upgrades, including changes in the Desktop window Manager (im guessing this is thanks to metro), just look at how fast the UAC prompts now show up. Memory usage has also gone down and I beleive this (and other improvements, including what has been done on services) affects battery life in a positive way.

So Andrea Borman, get a Laptop that is Windows 8 and especially Metro compatible, test it properly, learn to use it and certainly don't give up because you can't find things. You are obviously also not the most Computer literate, judging by the fact that you couldn't think of a singly way to shutdown windows… and your failure to try to adapt will ofc lead you to not liking the product.