[MOD] Camera from HTC Amaze 4G, v0.11

Search This thread

outrage_uk

Jul 31, 2008
I wish someone would take up development of this to remove the "double flash". Objects are far too bright which makes dark photography impossible :(

ace9988

Dec 15, 2010
Dark Side of the Moon
im 95% sure thats not your real CID..
did you downgrade your hboot?

i wouldn't be surprised since it did seem too good to be my real CID ...i just used the CID getter app cuz i was too lazy

i'm not too sure i needed a downgrade since i rooted and did s-off out the box using revolutionary tool but the hboot now says 1.49.1107 and it does say revolutionary and s-off on the bootloader screen

jcsy

Jan 9, 2009
Land of the Z1/EVO3D/GTAB10.1(2)
Doubt it. Our hardware can't handle it, I suppose and yes, I'm loooking at that 5mp camera

---------------------Tapatalk ----------------------
Sent my new HTC Evolution 3D running ROMeOS UNSENSED.

ace9988

Dec 15, 2010
Dark Side of the Moon
Full HD is somewhere around the 2mp mark so i think it would be....but hey 720p is still good enough and I'm not after the numbers game

Shot from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk

binux-project

Dec 31, 2009
near Stuttgart
binux-project.de
The only thing I Don't like is that Video is Not smoothed. Just make some Videos and watch it a bit deeper in detail. You'll see that the whole video is pixelated. Consequently this camera app (even with all his wonderfull settings) has no really use for anybody who really needs 720p quality. It's a great pity.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using XDA

bigjack216

Dec 31, 2011
cleveland
Just wondering if anyone here knows how to remap this camera to the dedicated button I can't get it to work lol

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA

Just wondering if anyone here knows how to remap this camera to the dedicated button I can't get it to work lol

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA

Use the update.zip version. Or go into settings and find the one that currently is and choose clear defaults to pick a new one next press.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

fahadj2003

Dec 15, 2011
i wouldn't be surprised since it did seem too good to be my real CID ...i just used the CID getter app cuz i was too lazy

i'm not too sure i needed a downgrade since i rooted and did s-off out the box using revolutionary tool but the hboot now says 1.49.1107 and it does say revolutionary and s-off on the bootloader screen

young padawan..
you lost your real CID when you downgraded your hboot..
its not the software..

Reactions: ace9988

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
So I tried Chads new kernel 882 with zsl amaze driver included and flashed the .11 amaze camera 1080p and still unable to edit effects or do panoramic.

Edit: If apk is installed then effects works still as it uses Evo 3d gallery edit still. But burst shots still not working even with chads new kernel with zsl

Last edited:

shirioko

Jan 30, 2008
The Hague
So I tried Chads new kernel 882 with zsl amaze driver included and flashed the .11 amaze camera 1080p and still unable to edit effects or do panoramic.

Edit: If apk is installed then effects works still as it uses Evo 3d gallery edit still. But burst shots still not working even with chads new kernel with zsl

First off, burst mode is disabled in the 0.11 apk.

Second, since you were able to get your hands on the latest Anthrax kernel I'm assuming that you are also a member of infectedrom.com, which means that you could read the changelogs in the Anthrax kernel thread. The changelogs clearly say that the ZSL driver was implemented into the kernel, but not enabled.

neol23

May 15, 2011
Sofia
First off, burst mode is disabled in the 0.11 apk.

Second, since you were able to get your hands on the latest Anthrax kernel I'm assuming that you are also a member of infectedrom.com, which means that you could read the changelogs in the Anthrax kernel thread. The changelogs clearly say that the ZSL driver was implemented into the kernel, but not enabled.

And if u can tell me, why is not enabled? ...

I will:

Because there is no working ZLS driver atm. :D

Was ENABLED in previous versions, but did not worked...

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Thanks guys. Forgot burst was disabled. On any note for those having issue with force closing when editing effects, if you just install the apk then its fine. When I flash the zip is when I encounter the problem even after fixing permission.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    == important =======================================================
    Development is frozen.
    Thank you all for your help in debug and for your thanksful posts.
    It is possible that I will return to development of this project, but this is unpredictable for now.
    Thanks to all of You!
    If someone wants to continue development of this camera or to port any other camera he could see source code and changes I've made here:.
    https://github.com/igorbezkrovny/android_htc_evo3d_camera_from_amaze4g

=================================================================
    HTC Amaze 4G camera app is amazing.

(for example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9AmViR_twM)

========================================================
    app: HTC Camera application
    base: HTC Amaze 4G camera app
    platform: HTC EVO 3D (GSM & CDMA)
    version: 0.11
    how to install:
    1) for non-rooted phone install apk
    2) for rooted phone flash zip file via recovery or just install apk
    programmer: Igor Bezkrovny
    source code: https://github.com/igorbezkrovny/android_htc_evo3d_camera_from_amaze4g
    I have created poll for two questions: camera name for flashable zip & photo file naming convention. Also you can suggest something (last question in the poll).
    Please answer to questions only once.
    PLEASE ANSWER TO POLL. THX

* In order to access the custom image parameters you have to set the scene mode to manual. Then and only then will the white balance, contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc. be available to you.

Tweaks:
    1. 3D resolution changed to 2048x1152
    2. iso 1250 (realy it seems like iso 450-500)
    3. long touch makes photo
    4. Jpeg quality set to 100%

Known issues:
    0. Some EVO 3D has smaller second camera sensor! Try 2048x1152 version first and if it crashes in 3D mode, use 1920x1080 version
    1. BurstShot and SmartShot disabled - it seems we need updated kernel with ZERO SHUTTER LAG driver included. So, if HTC doesn't give even kernel src for us we have only choice to wait for new stock kernel with ZSL driver.
    2. Face/Blinks detections doesn't work in 3D
    3. Disabled Panorama and Portrait scenes when in 3D.
    4. CDMA issue: it seems that for most cdma phones Panorama stucks in 2D :(
    5. Codec MPEG can't be used with bitrate higher than 12 mbps. Codec H264 can be used with any bitrate.

Changelog:
    0.11 (GSM&CDMA 2048x1152 in 3D) Flashable zip
    0.11 (GSM&CDMA 1920x1080 in 3D) Flashable zip
    0.11 (GSM&CDMA 2048x1152 in 3D) standalone apk
    0.11 (GSM&CDMA 1920x1080 in 3D) standalone apk
    1. Codec H264 is automaticaly used for 3D video recording.
    2. Flash is always turned ON if flash mode is "ON" (when taking picture). It is very useful to see what you are shooting when taking picture in low light conditions.

0.10 (GSM&CDMA 2048x1152 in 3D) Flashable zip
    0.10 (GSM&CDMA 1920x1080 in 3D) Flashable zip
    0.10 (GSM&CDMA 2048x1152 in 3D) standalone apk
    0.10 (GSM&CDMA 1920x1080 in 3D) standalone apk
    * You should select "H264" codec to record video in 3D. Codec h264 will be autoselected for 3D in next version
    1. Added option to set 50HZ/60HZ antibanding.
    2. Removed video format selection. It doesn't needed! 3GP and MP4 are just a containers. Video encoding bitrate is the only important to reduce file size.
    3. Added codec selection (H264/MPEG)
    4. Enabled video encoding bitrate selection for 720p and 540p
    5. Added more bitrate choices.

0.09 - removed because it always saves video into 3GP container
    1. 3GP/MP4 video format selection
    2. Added Camera version to Tutorial title
    3. Universal flash script rewritten
    4. Added autobuilder to sources in git

0.08 (GSM 2048x1152 in 3D)
    0.08 (GSM 1920x1080 in 3D)
    0.08 (CDMA 2048x1152 in 3D)
    0.08 (CDMA 1920x1080 in 3D)
    1. Preview after capture -> Share ->"Midnight" button changed to "More..."
    2. Install script fixed

0.08 with video 1920x1080 recording. DEV VERSION. Tweaks in KERNEL, media_profiles.xml & possibly in libxxxxxxx.so needed

1. test HTCCamera.apk that is configured to record 1920x1080 video, but it doesn't work for me.

1. Fixed code to correctly disable Panorama and Portrait in 3D mode

0.06 (has issue, use 0.07)
    1. Disabled Panorama and Portrait scenes when in 3D.

1. fixed FC in Video Recording

1. Gallery is now available directly from camera screen after taking Panorama (SweepShot).

1. fixed FC in 3D mode when battery is lower than 15%
    2. SmartShot/BurstMode disabled (if you select it, mode will not change)

1. fixed FC in 3D, but face detection and blink detection works now in 2D!
    2. Jpeg QUALITY set to 100% (was 85%)

1. Ported from version of Baadnewz & CdTDroiD link
    2. Tweaked
    3. Fixed FC in 3D mode by disabling for both modes face detection and blink detection.

If you found not listed issue:
    1. Reboot phone
    2. Install and run android application "catlog", press "menu"->"Record"
    3. Launch Camera and take video till camera FC
    4. "catlog"->"menu"->"stop". Log file created in /sdcard/catlog_saved_logs/
    5. email me with attached log file: [underscore]iga[underscore] at mail.ru or reply with attached log file in this post. Also please specify your ROM version.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
    IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
    AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
    LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
    OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
    THE SOFTWARE.

divedr made comparison of different cameras/pictures:
    Evo3DCamComp_1.jpg

The dynamic range from the Amaze port is superior to the stock and modded stock cameras. The lower set of images illustrate the resolution (level of detail) from the Amaze port is better than stock or the modded stock camera from Clean ROM 2.8.
    New version v0.10 uploaded.

Igor, as you asked here are the data from the comparisons I made. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words:

Evo3DCamComp_2.jpg

The dynamic range from the Amaze port is superior to the stock and modded stock cameras. The lower set of images illustrate the resolution (level of detail) from the Amaze port is better than stock or the modded stock camera from Clean ROM 2.8.

All things considered, if you can enable metering mode selection it would make this port the BEST camera app hands down for the evo 3D. I wouldn't look to change anything before getting metering working. The other parameters (Sweep Shot, Burst, Video CODECs, etc.) are eye candy compared to the metering modes. The ability to change metering modes affects the capabilities of a digiital imaging system significantly. The ability to switch metering modes is a real photographic tool which when enabled would endow the evo 3D with significantly increased abilities as a photographic instrument. Igor if you can pull this off it would be a coup!

Thanks again for all the hard work!
    Overview

I would like to start by apologizing for the extremely long post.I have made an attempt at evaluating the ported Amaze camera to the stock and modified stock apps available. There are some pretty interesting results.

In order to make a valid comparison we first have to identify and understand the variables involved in any digital imaging system which determine the ultimate image quality that can be attained. First and foremost are the limitations placed on the system by virtue of the innate functionality imposed by hardware specifications. You cant make a 5MP sensor an 8MP sensor however, software plays an equally important role in determining the ultimate image output of the system. This is best illustrated by comparison of the The Nikon D80 and the Sony DSLR-A100. Both use the same APS c Sony sensoy however the performance, image quality and characteristics of the two camera bodies are significantly different. This is largely due to differing ASIC technology and image processing software. If you want to read more about the technical aspects of digital imaging systems a good place to start is here: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/glossary.asp

Under standardized conditions I shot several test images using the evo 3D and the Amaze port, stock camera and the modded stock camera of Clean ROM 2.8. The results are a bit surprising. It would seem that the Amaze port brings to the evo 3D something which the modded stock cameras do not. It would appear that the iso boost from the Amaze port does more than boost the iso. Looking closely at the image histograms it would appear it gives an increased dynamic range of 1 to 2 stops. This is extremely significant. The Amaze port low light performance appears to be measurably better than the stock or modded stock cameras can deliver.

In the past the overall consensus regarding HTCs methodology in developing camera software is to develop a generic application for a relatively similar group of hardware iterations and use switches within the software to accomodate the various hardware configurations. It is reasonable to beieve this is the case as it is from a production standpoint a cost effective strategy. If that is the case it would seem the Amaze camera ap may have some fundamental differences (seperate from software switches) as compared to stock or modded stock cameras.

This inclines me to opine that what we have here in the Amaze port may represent a fundamentally different iteration of the camera application perhaps marking HTCs cutoff point for sundowning the camera app wich shipped with the evo 3D.

Whatever the functionality and image quality provided by the Amaze port offers significant advantages over stock. If there is a way to enable selection of different metering modes (which I do not believe are enabled in the Amaze as there are no references to such functionality in the HTC user manual) it would make this THE hands down BEST camera app for the 3D.

Agan sorry for the LOOONG post!

Nice work Igor, please keep it up, its greatly appreciated!
    camera now works in both modes (2d + 3d)
    On CDMA. Infected Eternity.
    Everything but sweepshot (Force Closes) and taking 3D pics work. When attempting to take a 3D pic it sits as if it's saving. Then crashes to homewcreen everytime. :-\

I don't have cdma evo 3d. If you want to be a tester on cdma, we will make a cdma camera together. If so - pm me, do not post here.