HELP!!! TG01 goes into super S-L-O-W mode

Search This thread

CrashMurdock

Dec 28, 2008
Thailand
Recently my phone started occasionally going into a slow-as-molasses mode where even the simplest task takes 20-30 secs to complete. Of course this makes the phone completely unusable. If I'm on a call and it happens it just turns itself off mid-call or sometimes automatically reboots but the reboot takes forever and the problem is still there. I end up having to take the battery out for a few seconds then it will work normally until the next episode. I have the CPU set to the max speed so normally it's fine. Also, I have a triple battery set-up so there is usually plenty of juice left when this happens. I have no idea what is triggering this and luckily it only happens occasionally. I'm using fxdjacentyfxd's excellent 6.5 ROM and having no other problems. If anyone has a solution or workaround or has experienced this please advise.

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

nikola92

Oct 25, 2010
Novi Sad
If the phone is getting hot I have bad news for you. It might be procesor. The one we have is in HD2 and xperia x10 if i remmeber well. The HD2 and same xperia x10 had a big problem overheating and rebooting whille talking , sms-ing, music listening, multitasking... I hope that isn't case for you. Haven't heard yet that someone had broken CPU around here on tg01. P.S. flash new ROM

Rila

Aug 31, 2010
Bucuresti
I have this problem myself with my TG. The only solution it was Miro8 rom in my case. It is because your carrier.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

CrashMurdock

Dec 28, 2008
Thailand
If the phone is getting hot I have bad news for you. It might be procesor... ...Haven't heard yet that someone had broken CPU around here on tg01. P.S. flash new ROM

The phone is not getting hot. Removing the battery then reinstalling it always fixes the problem (so far). I may have to do a hard (master) reset if the problem persists as I realize that one of the problems with Windows Mobile is it is prone to occasionally getting corrupted, at least in my experience with custom WM 6.0 ROM on my HTC 8525 over three years.

Rila

Aug 31, 2010
Bucuresti
Any idea how the carrier can cause the problem? I've had the same carrier for 5 years including several months with the TG01 and never had this problem before.

In my case the carrier has two separate network (one for 2G and one for 3G), but it is certain that if i use the phone under that carrier it works as you described!
I put another sim (from another carrier) and the phone work great! So i identify the problem as beeing created by the carrier network or phone radio!
But i tried diferent radio and the result was that no mather the radio version I use the phone get slow in Cosmote network (the carrier I speak of). :(

Reactions: CrashMurdock

kijotex

May 25, 2010
Madrid
Hi, I had exactly the same problem about one year ago.

Used to work the 'hard reset' stuff but in a days it slows down again and again.

I checked my SD card on the PC and looked like it was working fine, but it really wasn't. I had the final clue by using by a few days the phone without the SD... It worked just fine without sd.

So I decided to buy a ultra cool (an expensive BTW) SDHC class 10 and every problem with TG01 was solved!

Well, not every problem... Still having a little one with the GPS signal and the 3G data but it's not about the same thing.. but i'll still reading post here. Just forgot about this problem cause I was using some cooked roms from this place, but I had to return to the Movistar ES original in order to unlock the phone and now... you know, just don't work anymore. If I can't finx this **** with the original rom I'll go back to another coocked one.

Good luck!

CrashMurdock

Dec 28, 2008
Thailand

Used to work the 'hard reset' stuff but in a days it slows down again and again.

I checked my SD card on the PC and looked like it was working fine, but it really wasn't. I had the final clue by using by a few days the phone without the SD... It worked just fine without sd.

So I decided to buy a ultra cool (an expensive BTW) SDHC class 10 and every problem with TG01 was solved!

Well, not every problem... Still having a little one with the GPS signal and the 3G data but it's not about the same thing.. but i'll still reading post here. Just forgot about this problem cause I was using some cooked roms from this place, but I had to return to the Movistar ES original in order to unlock the phone and now... you know, just don't work anymore. If I can't finx this **** with the original rom I'll go back to another coocked one.

Good luck!

Greetings from Thailand, kijotex! Hadn't considered the SD card as the possible problem. Mine is a 16GB Class 6 and seems to work fine. Did you check your SD card for errors or reformat it before buying the new card? I've used the same card in my previous phone, an HTC 8525/Hermes without problems (that I know of).

Thanks for responding & Happy New Year! :D

Rila

Aug 31, 2010
Bucuresti
Greetings from Thailand, kijotex! Hadn't considered the SD card as the possible problem. Mine is a 16GB Class 6 and seems to work fine. Did you check your SD card for errors or reformat it before buying the new card? I've used the same card in my previous phone, an HTC 8525/Hermes without problems (that I know of).

Thanks for responding & Happy New Year! :D

So you solve the problem with S-L-O-W think?
How did you solve it?
what was wrong?
I ask you because in my case only after switching the carrier I could use the phone again!

CrashMurdock

Dec 28, 2008
Thailand
How did you solve it?
what was wrong?
I ask you because in my case only after switching the carrier I could use the phone again!

I backed up everything on the phone late the other night and was going to hard/master reset it the next morning but got called out of town and didn't do it. I did swap out my custom triple-battery pack and went back to my original Toshiba battery for a day. Surprisingly, the phone worked normally so re-installed the triple battery pack and it has been working 'normally' since then. I have no idea why. Between the quirks in Windows Mobile and the TG01 quirks I just never know what this phone is going to do next. If/when the s-l-o-w mode problem shows up again I'll hard/reset it and post again.

Cheers...

CrashMurdock

Dec 28, 2008
Thailand
How did you solve it?
what was wrong?

I finally did the master-clear this week as the phone was getting completely unusable. That seems to have helped tremendously but the phone went into the SLOW mode again today and I had to reboot it 2 or 3 times before it finally was normal. I had just played the Tiger Woods golf game on it for about 30 minutes so wonder if that didn't contribute somehow. I then went into Toshiba Power settings and unchecked the Reduce CPU speed if low battery box even though immediately after playing the game the battery meter showed 70%, but we all know how buggy that is.

My phone was getting screwed up because the case (actually a thin sleeve) was too tight and it allowed buttons to get mashed while it was in my pocket. This may not have been a problem except I had the Lock function disabled. Over time that random button pushing definitely corrupted WM6.5 just like it had done to my old HTC 8525. I'm now using a 2.5" USB external hard drive case until I can find a better fitting one.

CrashMurdock

Dec 28, 2008
Thailand
I think I finally solved the problem. [crosses fingers] The Master Clear helped with some of the problems, but didn't cure the random S-L-O-W mode. I ended up reinstalling the same ROM and so far the phone is working flawlessly. I'm guessing that WM6.5 became corrupted over time and that was the culprit. I also had the phone Lock disabled and that continually caused buttons to get accidentally pressed while bicycling and/or jogging and speed walks. I personally feel the buttons need a bit more spring tension, especially the Sleep/Lock button on the left hand side. The Lock is enabled now so hopefully that will help.

kevinpwhite

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 19, 2006
My phone was getting screwed up because the case (actually a thin sleeve) was too tight and it allowed buttons to get mashed while it was in my pocket. ............... I'm now using a 2.5" USB external hard drive case until I can find a better fitting one.

In case it may be of interest, I have been using the Capdase leather sleeve case for a long time now without any issues. Nice red microfibre lining and pull tab to extract the phone easily. This UK supplier says no longer available, but most likely there are some about if you search a bit.

Best regards,

Kevin

CrashMurdock

Dec 28, 2008
Thailand
In case it may be of interest, I have been using the Capdase leather sleeve case for a long time now without any issues. Nice red microfibre lining and pull tab to extract the phone easily. This UK supplier says no longer available, but most likely there are some about if you search a bit.

Best regards,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Nice to 'hear' from you again and thanks for the tip. :D I'm using the Mugen back cover for their 2600 mAh battery, although with my custom battery pack. The phone is now about 1/2"(17mm) thick. Do you think this Capdase sleeve will fit?

I'm also glad you answered as I was about to post a new thread or PM you with a question about cooking my own phone config into a custom ROM. After just having to reinstall all of my add-ons, customized SPB GUI, etc., twice while trying to fix this problem, I'm now thinking about backing up everything with a custom ROM. That way if I have to reinstall the ROM I won't have to spend another couple of days getting the phone config back to where it was. I've perused the TG01 kitchen thread but confess I'm still confused about how to do it. And since 99.9% of my stuff is installed on the microSD card will the new custom ROM be able to access that existing data?

Finally, I have to say this phone continues to amaze me (when WM isn't acting up). I just can't see any benefit to 'upgrading' to WP7 like many have done, possibly bricking the phone in the process, or trashing the SDcard, etc. as it just doesn't seem worth it. Now I admit that the reason I bought this phone last year was to install Android, but after having a Viewsonic G-Tablet for a few months with a custom Gingerbread 2.3 ROM installed on it I just gave the tablet back (to my buddy) as it was so freakin' buggy. Bottom line is I'm not so impressed with Android at this point, especially custom ROMs. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :eek:

I look forward to your sage advice. :D;):D

Cheers!

Jim

CrashMurdock

Dec 28, 2008
Thailand
Well... It appears the TG01 show is over

My TG01 has now gone into permanent S-L-O-W mode and I can't get it out of it. I've soft reset it probably 20-25 times, even yanked the battery out while it's still on hoping to shock the system. Did this many times and it didn't make any difference. I even left the battery out all night last night hoping for a miracle this morning. Of course, no change. I'm afraid to try to reinstall the ROM again as it probably couldn't complete the task before the battery runs down. As it is now I can't even make a call as it simply goes so slow it won't even connect, so if I can't find a solution soon the TG01 is going into the trash bin. During the past 3 weeks I have spent way too many hours trying to resolve this problem and have simply run out of ideas and patience. I also Googled it and a few people have had the exact same problem but no one has posted a solution.

If anyone has a tip or suggestion please advise.

mikiril

Aug 8, 2009
tg01 getting slower

In my case the issue was fully solved by: reformatting sd card (full format) and reflashing the ROM. No freezings since I did it 2 months ago. So, I would say it's either your sd card or your ROM. A hardware failure is also possible but it worth trying before throwing your tg01 in the trash :) Good luck! :)

CrashMurdock

Dec 28, 2008
Thailand
In my case the issue was fully solved by: reformatting sd card (full format) and reflashing the ROM. No freezings since I did it 2 months ago. So, I would say it's either your sd card or your ROM. A hardware failure is also possible but it worth trying before throwing your tg01 in the trash :) Good luck! :)

Hi mikiril,

Thanks for the fast response. I've tried everything including reflashing the ROM and even that only worked for a few days. I've been researching the problem again this morning and found the problem and a temporary solution. The problem is device.exe is running wide open using between 95%-100% of CPU cycles. A French TG01 website says it has something to do with clicking on the Restrict Sleep Mode button in the Toshiba Power Saving Settings menu, which I had done at some point, but later went back and unchecked it. Their 'solution' is to activate both Bluetooth and WiFi then turn them off. I confirm that does work until the next bootup or Soft Reset. Maybe there's something in the registry that can undo whatever clicking on Restrict Sleep Mode has done. At least the phone is working at normal speed again, temporarily, so I have a little bit of hope.

Thanks! :D:D:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yeah, its a WinMo issue :)
    the software gets corrupted.

I faced this issue on my older WinMo devices. best bet is to hard reset!
    Any idea how the carrier can cause the problem? I've had the same carrier for 5 years including several months with the TG01 and never had this problem before.

In my case the carrier has two separate network (one for 2G and one for 3G), but it is certain that if i use the phone under that carrier it works as you described!
    I put another sim (from another carrier) and the phone work great! So i identify the problem as beeing created by the carrier network or phone radio!
    But i tried diferent radio and the result was that no mather the radio version I use the phone get slow in Cosmote network (the carrier I speak of). :(

Good luck!
    My phone was getting screwed up because the case (actually a thin sleeve) was too tight and it allowed buttons to get mashed while it was in my pocket. ............... I'm now using a 2.5" USB external hard drive case until I can find a better fitting one.

Best regards,

Kevin
    Hi CrashMurdock.
    I am afraid it may be a flash problem. Take into account You did master reset and it helped only for a small period of time. How do You think, how many times Your tg01 was flashed by You and by previous owners ? Such simple flash we have guarantee for few thowsands write operations and after it it become "weak". On the other hand ROM's guru - feropont - told some times ago that custom roms with simplified kernel ( Yes, I am afraid almost all cookers including me delete not needed modules from original kernels ) may do some unpredictable behaviour. In such case it could be good solution to upload any of original roms and after such operation one can upload custom rom.

Regards
    fxdjacentyfxd