Apr 2, 2008
Yerevan, Tehran
www.vagrik.com
Requirements

1. Xperia Ray [ST18i] - Unlocked Bootloader
  2. Drivers for Windows - Install PC Companion
  3. [Only for Android 4.0.3] KERNEL from this Link | I use this .img file
  4. Updated to Last Firmware Version from OTA
  5. After Install Update from OTA, you must Unlock you Bootloader.
Tested!

• Model Number: ST18i
  • Android Version: 2.3.4 & 4.0.3
  • Baseband Version: XXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-64 & XXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-70
  • Build Number: 4.0.2.A.0.62 & 4.1.A.0.562

How to Install Root
  1. Download rootxperia.zip here and place it in your sd card
  2. Enter device in fastboot mode. Turn off phone, hold volume up while you connect the USB cable to computer
  3. Download the recoverRAY.img, you will get a zip file, extract it.
  4. Open folder inside Flashtool where fastboot.exe exists (/FlashTool/x10flasher_lib)
  5. Place the recoveryRAy.img inside the folder
  6. Open command line in this folder
  7. Test if it recognize your device, to do this type fastboot devices, if there is a result here proceed.
  8. Now here's the tricky part, to enter a temporary recovery type fastboot boot recoveryRAY.img
    *Notice that we didn't use fastboot flash boot ****.img here because as bin4ry said this recovery is designed to work just as recovery, if you flash it to your device it will NOT boot system anymore! This is just a temporary recovery for you so be careful not to flash it.
  9. Now wait and your phone will reboot, you will see the FREE XPERIA splash screen and your device will now enter temp CWM recovery
  10. On your phone choose install custom zip, locate the rootxperia.zip you added earlier in your SD card and flash it.
  11. Reboot, your device is now rooted.

How to install CWM (Only for 2.3.4!)

1. Download this then extract
  2. Make sure you enabled USB debugging, and also you need to set Screen timeout to 10 minutes so you don't miss the superuser promt
  3. Run install-cwm1.cmd from the folder
  4. Follow screen on screen instruction, reboot.
I use this method & success to Root My Xperia Ray.

Say Thanks please! :D

Last edited:

robertos37

Mar 27, 2012
As a newbe: some extra questions

You explain clear & idiot-proof, until I came along...
So as a newbe I have a few extra questions.

1. I have a new Xperia Ray 4.0.2.A.0.62 / 2.3.4 / ST18i out of the box. You mention OTA - update is recommended, as I already have 4.0.2.A.0.62; is that ok?
2. You mention You must unlock your bootloader, do you mean go to the offical Sony-Ericsson site and unlock bootloader the "official way"? (I have done this)
3. Which Flashtool, do you mean in point 4? And where can I find it/ download this flashtool?
4. After Unlocking the bootloader & Rooting my xperia ray, I believe I can remove bloatware like (wisepilot-trial, tetris-demo, facebook, topapps, etc.). But: what do I do to remove an app? Do I simply remove \system\apps\chinesetextinput.apk or do I have to uninstall it somehow like a computerprogram?
5. After rooting the system directory continues accessible? Is there a way to protect it again, after the removal of the bloatware? (my goal is just to remove the bloatware)

I hope my questions are not to dumb? With my first smartphone just for a couple of weeks I am a real newbe.

vagrik

Apr 2, 2008
Yerevan, Tehran
www.vagrik.com
You explain clear & idiot-proof, until I came along...
So as a newbe I have a few extra questions.

1. I have a new Xperia Ray 4.0.2.A.0.62 / 2.3.4 / ST18i out of the box. You mention OTA - update is recommended, as I already have 4.0.2.A.0.62; is that ok?
2. You mention You must unlock your bootloader, do you mean go to the offical Sony-Ericsson site and unlock bootloader the "official way"? (I have done this)
3. Which Flashtool, do you mean in point 4? And where can I find it/ download this flashtool?
4. After Unlocking the bootloader & Rooting my xperia ray, I believe I can remove bloatware like (wisepilot-trial, tetris-demo, facebook, topapps, etc.). But: what do I do to remove an app? Do I simply remove \system\apps\chinesetextinput.apk or do I have to uninstall it somehow like a computerprogram?
5. After rooting the system directory continues accessible? Is there a way to protect it again, after the removal of the bloatware? (my goal is just to remove the bloatware)

I hope my questions are not to dumb? With my first smartphone just for a couple of weeks I am a real newbe.
1. No problem.
2. No problem.
3. Fastboot Tools : Download
4. I delete some application from system\apps, also "chinesetexinput & japanes..."
5. I can't find this application from system\apps!

GKumaran

Sep 18, 2011
Success !

Love u mate !
Of all the methods , this worked as told to perfection !

But i skipped the CWM install . this is no problem right ?

robertos37

Mar 27, 2012
Rooted

@Vagrik:
Tried it, done it, and got rid of facebook!. With "bloatware" I meant all the unwanted (cr)apps. Offcourse: chinese is gone too. Thanx.

@others:
I used the root, I had to try & see, a little bit of knowledge about ancient msdos helpt me.
First I was confused about placing the zip on the sdcard & the fastboot on my computer, but step by step it just worked out fine.

So I did use the step by step tutorial, including Fastboot, CWM, after that superuser & titanium backup. With titanium backup you can backup all apps; and uninstall the (cr)apps one by one. (I am glad I made a backup first...).

In the end: rooting was easier than the login at this forum... !!! I must have tried a hundred times to finally place this message!

Got one question left: does anyone know the apps connected to "latitude","places", "navigation"; it seems all google; but which apps exactly ?

mrpeer_1

Apr 7, 2012
Hello, the tutorial is great but I have may questions.
Download rootxperia.zip here and place it in your sd card

there's two folders in the rootxperia.zip do I unzip the contents of rootxperia.zip in to my sd card or just place the rooxperia.zip in to sd card?

Open folder inside Flashtool where fastboot.exe exists (/FlashTool/x10flasher_lib)

You mean create folder in flashtool folder? could you explain in detail this part?

vagrik

Apr 2, 2008
Yerevan, Tehran
www.vagrik.com
Hello, the tutorial is great but I have may questions.
Download rootxperia.zip here and place it in your sd card

there's two folders in the rootxperia.zip do I unzip the contents of rootxperia.zip in to my sd card or just place the rooxperia.zip in to sd card?

Open folder inside Flashtool where fastboot.exe exists (/FlashTool/x10flasher_lib)

You mean create folder in flashtool folder? could you explain in detail this part?
Only ZIP file, not content or unzip!

no... np...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Requirements

1. Xperia Ray [ST18i] - Unlocked Bootloader
    2. Drivers for Windows - Install PC Companion
    3. [Only for Android 4.0.3] KERNEL from this Link | I use this .img file
    4. Updated to Last Firmware Version from OTA
    5. After Install Update from OTA, you must Unlock you Bootloader.
    Tested!

• Model Number: ST18i
    • Android Version: 2.3.4 & 4.0.3
    • Baseband Version: XXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-64 & XXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-70
    • Build Number: 4.0.2.A.0.62 & 4.1.A.0.562

How to Install Root
    1. Download rootxperia.zip here and place it in your sd card
    2. Enter device in fastboot mode. Turn off phone, hold volume up while you connect the USB cable to computer
    3. Download the recoverRAY.img, you will get a zip file, extract it.
    4. Open folder inside Flashtool where fastboot.exe exists (/FlashTool/x10flasher_lib)
    5. Place the recoveryRAy.img inside the folder
    6. Open command line in this folder
    7. Test if it recognize your device, to do this type fastboot devices, if there is a result here proceed.
    8. Now here's the tricky part, to enter a temporary recovery type fastboot boot recoveryRAY.img
      *Notice that we didn't use fastboot flash boot ****.img here because as bin4ry said this recovery is designed to work just as recovery, if you flash it to your device it will NOT boot system anymore! This is just a temporary recovery for you so be careful not to flash it.
    9. Now wait and your phone will reboot, you will see the FREE XPERIA splash screen and your device will now enter temp CWM recovery
    10. On your phone choose install custom zip, locate the rootxperia.zip you added earlier in your SD card and flash it.
    11. Reboot, your device is now rooted.

How to install CWM (Only for 2.3.4!)

1. Download this then extract
    2. Make sure you enabled USB debugging, and also you need to set Screen timeout to 10 minutes so you don't miss the superuser promt
    3. Run install-cwm1.cmd from the folder
    4. Follow screen on screen instruction, reboot.
    I use this method & success to Root My Xperia Ray.

Say Thanks please! :D
    Another Great work by Persian-Devs
    You did not mention we need S1boot fastboot driver to get the phone recognised in fastboot mode.

I have been searching for the driver for the past 2 days.
    Any link please?

Download This software : http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/pc-companion/
    Download This software :
    sonymobilecom/global-en/tools/pc-companion

I finally got my phone rooted today and removed the bloat applications.
    Thanks to the poster of this topic
    HEY! i have a sony ericsson live with walkman with same build and all!
    and i tried your tutorial, but got stuck! when i fastboot boot recoveryRAY.img to my phone, it reboots and then stays like that, with the screen dimly lit.
    there is no freeXperia slash screen nothing! what to do??
    I really want to root it!! trying since a long time but because of this stupid build i cant use SOC and all.
    HELP asap