Parrot Asteroid

2,471 posts
Thanks Meter: 237

By AndyCr15, Senior Member on 19th January 2011, 02:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
24th January 2012, 07:18 AM |#61  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
After last update (1.4.3) Bluetooth DUN stop working with my I9001.
Anyone with the same problem?

BTW don't wait for Torque for Asteroid. There is no BT API on it.
6th March 2012, 03:48 PM |#62  

More
I just got my asteroid a few days ago, installed it and everything works great.(Acura MDX) I love it, there aren't many apps, but hey it already does more than any other radio out there. So no complaints there. I haven't tried it, but I hope there is support for flac and other formats. I'm sure there can be an app for that. My only problem is I have lost the front channel speakers randomly after using it for about an hour of driving. Once that happened I stopped, pulled it out and found the heat sink to be piping hot. So I go home, next morning all the channels work great. -_- I'm getting a little usb fan and attaching it to the heat sink, hopefully that will keep her nice and cool. Contacted parrot, waiting for a response. So did anyone else notice you can cook a decent steak on the back of their Asteroid too?
7th March 2012, 03:07 PM |#63  

More
hey guys just wanted to say I figured the problem out yesterday with the over heating. I took a look and there was a screw in the harness that came with the radio. It was basically taking 4 if those speaker outputs, and connecting them to each other. lol. If your wondering why it wasn't being used, its cause I'm only using the power and antenna wires on that. My audio is rca.

Here is the shitty part. Everything was working great all day after that, but this morning the Bluetooth is connecting, except I'm getting no audio through it for music. Calls work and everything, just not music. Then when I go to the line in source it says source not available..... How that makes sense I have no clue. Its a auxilary cable that is plugged directly in the back. lol. The only thing I can think is a updated yesterday. But it worked for a while after the update too.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulktrasher

After last update (1.4.3) Bluetooth DUN stop working with my I9001.
Anyone with the same problem?

BTW don't wait for Torque for Asteroid. There is no BT API on it.

Hey man I think I have the same bug too. Did your BT work at first after you updated?
12th March 2012, 01:24 AM |#64  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
just got my parrot deck installed in my stang...i like it...have a mytouch 4g running cm7 and the internet apps work great....
12th March 2012, 10:05 PM |#65  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
So is everyone happy with theirs???

I am interested in getting one.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
13th March 2012, 03:08 PM |#66  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYADROIDMASTER

So is everyone happy with theirs???

I am interested in getting one.

While mine has been fine since the last update several months ago, I would check the Parrot forum before your purchase:

http://forum.parrot.com/usa/viewforum.php?id=31
13th March 2012, 04:51 PM |#67  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahas

While mine has been fine since the last update several months ago, I would check the Parrot forum before your purchase:

But yeah droid master,check out the forum, before and after you get one. I bought this thing knowing it was a newer never done before kind of radio, so I figured I would have my fair share of bugs, but really in the end it all ended up being user error on my side, and the rom on my phone had some bluetooth bugs.

But now after updating my rom, I can say this radio is 100% functional and I'm satisfied. Now if only I could hook it up to my steering wheel controls, and it had actual turn by turn navigation I would be very pleased. Besides that its a great deal for the price when compared to other more expensive options. Just remember its bleeding edge, so you need to have patience.
28th March 2012, 10:55 PM |#68  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Offline navigation: I have Navigon on it, installed a few days ago. Works well with an Eastern European map that I use. Can't go to the house number, just to the street, but it may be user error, since I'm more familiar with iGo and Google.

The volume cannot be changed, it's either maximum or mute, but not in between.

An Italian guy (peppino44255) modified it to work with the Asteroid's wheel and Next/Prev buttons.

It works, but when I really have to go to a new place, I'd mount the standalone on the windshield or even use my smartphone. Waze would be more useful on the Asteroid.

I'll see if I can find the download link for you.

Edit: see below.

OK, I got it from here. The page is in French.

What the page, and the comments, say:

1. Get the program from here (on the page, fill the CAPTCHA, then press the button under it, with the text "Valider et telecharger le fichier" on it) or from Rapidshare. It's a 120 MB RAR and downloads slowly (was at 40-160 kbps for me, took ages).

2. Get a Navigon map for your country. I don't have sources for this. The page has a link to France's 2010 map, but newer Navigon maps work, too. I tested it with a 2011 map. I found the map I need from one of the links in the comments there.

3. Get an SD card that you will use in your Asteroid, if you don't have one yet. For now, access the card with your computer, using a card reader or by other means. Make sure it is FAT32 formatted. FAT16 (classic FAT) would probably work, too. Create a folder on it, called "Navigon". Actually, you can put the program in any folder, even in the SD card's root, but this is how I did it.

4. Unpack the RAR you downloaded at step 1, into this folder on the card. If we'd call the card "SD", you would now have:

SD/Navigon/Navigon.apk
SD/Navigon/data/…
SD/Navigon/sound/…
SD/Navigon/map/…

5. Copy the *.map files (US.map, maybe?) that you got at step 2, to SD/Navigon/map/.

6. Unmount the SD card from your computer and put it in the Asteroid.

7. On the Asteroid, go to the Install menu. You will see "Navigon" in the list. Install it.

The main Navigon menu, right after you start the program (the third photo on the French page), is navigable with the Asteroid wheel and the Asteroid Next/Prev buttons. In most text boxes (e.g. when inputting a street's name), you can press the big round Parrot button and the Asteroid keyboard will come up. Changing between uppercase/lowercase/numbers is by pressing the menu button. Changing between night/day is through menu button->Day/Night, when a map is displayed.

The comments say Navigon will default to the system's language. I have the UK firmware and Navigon's menus are UK English. US will probably give you US, not that there are many differences.

Just for making it clear: you will have to leave the SD card inside the Asteroid, otherwise the navigation won't work.

If you know how to create a startup config file for Navigon, please do tell. I'm especially interested in setting the volume, since it's at maximum. The Asteroid's many volume settings do not affect it. What I did, is go to Navigon's settings menu and mute it. I did not try an external USB keyboard, maybe one can use the horizontal arrow keys to adjust the volume slider.

Edit 2:

Got a wireless mini keyboard for it, from eBay, this one. It cost 18.82$, free shipping. It works - input is much easier and faster, and I can also set Navigon's volume. It's not backlit, but for the money, it works.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to esziszi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift esziszi Ad-Free
29th March 2012, 06:18 PM |#69  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Hi, I just figured out how to do the closest thing we will come to a hard factory reset, at least without root. Might come in handy if anyone finds themselves being unable to perform a factory reset like I did:

1. WARNING!
    This is an experimental method of forcing the Parrot Asteroid to start over from scratch due to incompatibilities between 1.4.3 and 1.5.0 .
    I take no responsibility for what you do with your Parrot Asteroid.
    If you don't feel comfortable with taking this risk or if you doubt this will help your situation, please contact Parrot technical support instead.
    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
  2. Put both US 1.4.3 and UK 1.5.0 on a USB stick
  3. Rename the extension of the UK update (I added an underline but pretty much any change should do, this is to keep the updater from recognizing it as an update), this is very important and it's probably the most critical step
  4. Do a forced update (the two button sequence), it will first say there's a new version of the updater and then a new version of the firmware. It will then reboot into 1.4.3 . This will force it to restore all settings it doesn't recognize from 1.5.0 (almost everything, for me my favorite streams remained)
  5. After it finishes updating, plug the USB stick into a laptop/tablet/phone/etc and rename the US update as above and the UK update back to the original filename
  6. Do a forced update, again new version of updater
  7. After everything finishes, unplug the USB drive and optionally rename the files back as in step 2 for a one shot field reset (use 1.4.3 until you can rename the 1.5.0 update)

Keep in mind this is what worked for me, however it may or may not work in your case.
There's also no guarantee this will work in the future when later firmwares have been released.
The Following User Says Thank You to Djhg2000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Djhg2000 Ad-Free
6th April 2012, 03:05 AM |#70  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Just got this Headunit this week. Did the install myself in my 2010 Challenger. Looks and works great. The only thing really missing is a good Podcast app. Tunein radio works great, but it can't save podcasts as Presets/Favorites. Anyone know of any compatible podcast apps that let you set favorites so I'm not having to endanger the lives of other drivers or take 10 minutes siting in my driveway to listen to Adam Carolla?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Scratch that, Tunein works, but you have to use their website, create an account, add the presets despite the warning that it doesn't work on android, then log into the account on the headunit, boom presets are there.

Not sure why their android app on the phone doesn't support this.
27th April 2012, 04:49 PM |#71  
Flag Aberdeen, Scotland
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Parrot custom ROM
Just found that the peeps over at http://asteroid.gforums.de/ have started their own custom firmware project for the asteroid at
http://code.google.com/p/customasteroid/

Just thought it would be good to let any interested developers over here know about the project if they wanted to help. They also mention that 'Non-Programmers may post their ideas with the issue type "Idea". Attach files, drawings etc. as you wish. Please contribute!' So anyone is free to contribute.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)