[ROM] Stock rooted 6.3

Search This thread

eldarerathis

Jun 21, 2010
In keeping with my tradition of providing stock rooted ROMs, I've re-packaged the new 6.3 update. As with my past ones, this is completely stock except for modifications that provide root access. It does not attempt to block OTAs in any way, and it does not contain any extras like the Market.

This is a full ROM, not an incremental update, so it will wipe your /system partition when installing. If you're coming from a non-stock ROM you'll want to wipe data/cache, but if you're coming from a previous stock ROM you should be okay. This is tested in CWM (it's what I have onhand right now) but TWRP should also work.

Changes between this and a completely stock 6.3 ROM are:

REMOVED FROM ROM
  • The new /system/bin/check_rooted binary
  • Stock recovery image
  • Stock bootloader image
  • That goofy userdata-backup.zip

ADDED TO THE ROM
  • Superuser
  • su
  • busybox

CHANGES
  • Removed the entry from init.omap4430.rc that ran check_rooted at boot.
  • Set ro.secure=0 so adbd runs as root (insecure boot version only)
  • updater-script doesn't attempt to install recovery, bootloader, or userdata-backup.zip file since they are not in the ROM.
  • updater-script won't check your /system partition's size before installing. This means it will install on a /system partition that's been resized, but I have not tested this. My assumption is that if you resized /system you'll know how to handle any errors that you may encounter.

I'm providing secure and insecure boot images, as with my past versions. For those unfamiliar, insecure means adbd runs as root on your Fire so you get a root shell when you use adb to connect (i.e. you get # by default). Secure gives you a user shell (the $) by default, but you can still use 'su' to elevate to root.

DOWNLOADS
Stock rooted 6.3, secure boot image (md5: 37f51cd2dfaf58baffac09135236de36)
Stock rooted 6.3, insecure boot image (md5: e551a507ebc64fabe09f7d5387348585)​

Last edited:

eldarerathis

Jun 21, 2010
So if I flash this off Modaco gr7 to get to the latest version should I be ok as long as I wipe Dalvik and cache?

I would say probably yes since it's mostly stock, but I've never tried so I can't say for certain. Worst case should be that you bootloop, at which point you can always go back into recovery and wipe data, too.

ka724ka

Mar 13, 2006
Perhaps the dumb question, shall I just download and flash it by TWRP like other CM Roms? Please excuse I am noob. Thank you

sergeroyal

Apr 8, 2011
Beirut
I would say probably yes since it's mostly stock, but I've never tried so I can't say for certain. Worst case should be that you bootloop, at which point you can always go back into recovery and wipe data, too.
Just flashed over Modaco GR7 throught TWRP and everything went smoothly and fine!

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Perhaps the dumb question, shall I just download and flash it by TWRP like other CM Roms? Please excuse I am noob. Thank you
Just Flashed through TWRP like any other rom (over modacos) and everything went fine !

Reactions: ka724ka

xolanir

Jul 19, 2011
Springville
Just wondering if I can flash intersects kernel with the 6.3 Rom?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

Last edited:

xolanir

Jul 19, 2011
Springville
Updated successfully, but for some reason CWM is unable to make a back up, gives me an error listing that it can't write the cache img. Has anyone else had this issue or is it isolated, and is there a fix? Thx in advance for help. :confused:

jacewt

Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles
I assume this has the new browser, how do you access the new "reading view" I feel like it should be fairly easy to see but...

eldarerathis

Jun 21, 2010
Updated successfully, but for some reason CWM is unable to make a back up, gives me an error listing that it can't write the cache img. Has anyone else had this issue or is it isolated, and is there a fix? Thx in advance for help. :confused:

I've had CWM (and TWRP, actually) refuse to mount my cache partition in the past, and rebooting generally fixed it for me. Not sure if that's what's happening to you, though.

xolanir

Jul 19, 2011
Springville
I've had CWM (and TWRP, actually) refuse to mount my cache partition in the past, and rebooting generally fixed it for me. Not sure if that's what's happening to you, though.

I recently repartitioned my KF following the guide you posted using the GNU parted method. What I did was increased my media storage and shrunk my cache partition to 350MB and userdata partition to 700MB, would those settings affect CWM in anyway? The other thing I noticed was after I get the error, I reboot and check the CWM folder to see if anything did save, and it looks like it doesn't compress the back up while saving it. I found a partial back up of 2.35GB after the error. This is a strange one :confused:

Update: okay figured it out. The problem was CWM was trying to back up the /sd-ext volume. I unchecked it in the advanced back up option and ran the back up without a hitch. :eek:

Last edited:

jacewt

Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles
Can anyone confirm that the browser did not update to the newest version?

To access reading view, I was told "At the bottom of the display there is an eyeglass Icon tap it the screen says loading and you will have the view. Back arrow out of it."

I don't see an eyeglass icon on this rom.

eldarerathis

Jun 21, 2010

To access reading view, I was told "At the bottom of the display there is an eyeglass Icon tap it the screen says loading and you will have the view. Back arrow out of it."

It works for me, but only on certain web pages (I'm guessing ones that are text-heavy). Try viewing some random Wikipedia article, for example. The icon also doesn't appear until about a second or so after the page has completely finished loading.

Reactions: jacewt

jacewt

Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles
Just bizarre, I am not getting it. I looked at wikepedia articles too. I am using the insecure rom if that makes a difference.

What version should the browser be now?

I have 1.0.13.328_10008910

Gonna go clear data, etc.

Well, heck, that did it. Thanks for that. Interesting feature!

Last edited:

Buffet_of_Lies

Dec 22, 2011
Boston
Flashed this succesfully... but i neglected to wipe the system and accidentally flashed the 4.0 gapps package after. Boots fine but i am getting an android.process.acore FC and a Calender session FC. Any suggestions? I came from JC's ICS build and I am thinking of just going back to that.

Update. Nevermind. Just went back to ICS. The Stock Launcher gives me douche chills.

Last edited:

jb0ne

Dec 7, 2011
Swype?

Anyone who has Swype working on 6.2.1 or 6.2.2 installed this? If so can you tell me what happened to your Swype and were you able to get it working again?
I'm still on 6.2.1 (updates blocked with Droidwall) and went through so much hassles getting everything working *just* right, I'm trying to decide if the changes in 6.3 are worth potentially having to re-do Swype, market, calendar/contact sync, etc.

Edit: Any hope for an incremental update on this one? I loved the ones for 6.2.1 and 6.2.2.

Edit2: Any issues with market or calendar/contact syncs (for those of us who had set that up)?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In keeping with my tradition of providing stock rooted ROMs, I've re-packaged the new 6.3 update. As with my past ones, this is completely stock except for modifications that provide root access. It does not attempt to block OTAs in any way, and it does not contain any extras like the Market.

This is a full ROM, not an incremental update, so it will wipe your /system partition when installing. If you're coming from a non-stock ROM you'll want to wipe data/cache, but if you're coming from a previous stock ROM you should be okay. This is tested in CWM (it's what I have onhand right now) but TWRP should also work.

Changes between this and a completely stock 6.3 ROM are:

REMOVED FROM ROM
    • The new /system/bin/check_rooted binary
    • Stock recovery image
    • Stock bootloader image
    • That goofy userdata-backup.zip

ADDED TO THE ROM
    • Superuser
    • su
    • busybox

CHANGES
    • Removed the entry from init.omap4430.rc that ran check_rooted at boot.
    • Set ro.secure=0 so adbd runs as root (insecure boot version only)
    • updater-script doesn't attempt to install recovery, bootloader, or userdata-backup.zip file since they are not in the ROM.
    • updater-script won't check your /system partition's size before installing. This means it will install on a /system partition that's been resized, but I have not tested this. My assumption is that if you resized /system you'll know how to handle any errors that you may encounter.

I'm providing secure and insecure boot images, as with my past versions. For those unfamiliar, insecure means adbd runs as root on your Fire so you get a root shell when you use adb to connect (i.e. you get # by default). Secure gives you a user shell (the $) by default, but you can still use 'su' to elevate to root.

DOWNLOADS
    Stock rooted 6.3, secure boot image (md5: 37f51cd2dfaf58baffac09135236de36)
    Stock rooted 6.3, insecure boot image (md5: e551a507ebc64fabe09f7d5387348585)​
    Just flashed over Modaco GR7 throught TWRP and everything went smoothly and fine!

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Just Flashed through TWRP like any other rom (over modacos) and everything went fine !

It works for me, but only on certain web pages (I'm guessing ones that are text-heavy). Try viewing some random Wikipedia article, for example. The icon also doesn't appear until about a second or so after the page has completely finished loading.
    trying to get the amazon video working. What was the entry removed from init.omap4430.rc that ran check_rooted at boot? I'm wondering if I put that back as well as the check_rooted file, would that make the amazon video work? I wanted to give it a try, but wasn't sure what the exact entry in the init.omap file was...

Thanks.

I used OTA Rootkeeper from the Market then had to reboot the kindle after temporarily removing root and Amazon Video worked fine.. When I was finished I just restored root and rebooted and my kindle was rooted again.

If I helped please don't forget to push the Thanks Button
    Rod

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

Just wanted to thank you for building this, saved me a lot of hassle since my PC seems to have trouble loosing adb connection to the kindle, plus I am not the sharpest tack in the drawer but am slowly learning the commands.

One question and I am sure I know the answer just need a confirmation. I originally installed the secure version, can I just update with the insecure one after wiping dalvek and regular cache?

Thanks Again
    Rod
    :D