Turn TouchFlo 3D on and off?!

Search This thread

Simon D

Apr 26, 2006
I think the TouchFlo 3D is fantastic for "showing off" your Touch Diamond, but it's a bit gimmicky, and slightly cumbersome, so I'd like to be able to turn it on and off when it suits me.

Out of the box, to do this you need to go into the homescreen settings and select TouchFlo 3D, or, deselect it, and reselect all your usual homescreen plugins - a bit of a pain.

However, I've realised that browsing to the "Manilla exe" in the Windows directory turns on the TouchFlo without affecting your homescreen plugins. If you then kill the manilla process using a a Task Manager which shows processes, you're straight back to your normal homescreen. I've made a shortcut in the Start Menu so I can toggle between the two relatively quickly and easily.

But, I'm looking for some clever person out there to make a simple app which toggles between TouchFlo 3D and normal homescreens at the press of a button. I'm sure it can't be that difficult (for someone who knows what they're doing)??!! It just needs to launch the Manilla exe and then kill it when you want to turn it off.

Anyone fancy having a go?

Cheers
Simon.

leekg

May 18, 2005
It is possible to toggle between spb mobile 2 screens and touchflo 3d though.

paulbacik

Sep 8, 2006
Kill Manila.exe

Has anybody come up with an automated(one click) way of killing the Manila.exe process ?

wensing

Sep 13, 2006
Rotterdam
Mortscript

Create a script with Mortscript to check for the presence of manila.exe.
If not present, start it.
If present, kill it.
Create a shortcut to the script in \Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Assign this shortcut to button 1.

arcanehacker

Nov 23, 2005
I think the TouchFlo 3D is fantastic for "showing off" your Touch Diamond, but it's a bit gimmicky, and slightly cumbersome, so I'd like to be able to turn it on and off when it suits me.

Out of the box, to do this you need to go into the homescreen settings and select TouchFlo 3D, or, deselect it, and reselect all your usual homescreen plugins - a bit of a pain.

However, I've realised that browsing to the "Manilla exe" in the Windows directory turns on the TouchFlo without affecting your homescreen plugins. If you then kill the manilla process using a a Task Manager which shows processes, you're straight back to your normal homescreen. I've made a shortcut in the Start Menu so I can toggle between the two relatively quickly and easily.

But, I'm looking for some clever person out there to make a simple app which toggles between TouchFlo 3D and normal homescreens at the press of a button. I'm sure it can't be that difficult (for someone who knows what they're doing)??!! It just needs to launch the Manilla exe and then kill it when you want to turn it off.

Anyone fancy having a go?

Cheers
Simon.

thought thats called SecondToday?

gravye9fd

Dec 10, 2007
ToggleManila.mscr

I have the same problem, that I want to turn on TouchFlo 3D, but still want to keep my "Classic" Today Screen intact.

Although I tried SecondToday, however it cannot display the internal plugins such as Tasks, Calendar and Date

Thanks to wensing's suggestion, I created this simple script. If you want to run the script, please follow the instructions below.

a) The first thing you need to do is to disable the TouchFLO 3D from Today Panel Plugins, then activate your favourite Today Plugins (except TF3D)
b) Install MortScript
c) Put the "ToggleManila.mscr" in any folder you prefer.
d) Create a shortcut to this script, name it (eg. ToggleToday.lnk) and put the shortcut inside the folder "\Windows\Start Menu\Programs".
e) Go to Settings->Buttons, and simply assign "Button 1(Hold)" to point to the ToggleToday shortcut.

Of course you are free to experiment with other settings or assign it any other buttons.

Another thing to note is, because TF3D will "take over" the Home hardware button, I have no choice but to kill it, so that the classic Today Screen can be activated after TF3D is killed. However this also means the next time you activate TF3D, it will take some time to load. So please be patient and wait for the TF3D while it is loading.

Anyway, this is my first attempt at using MortScript, just a simple piece of work, but hope that I can bring some joy to my fellow Diamond users.

Hope that it works for you guys :p

Attachments

• ToggleManila.zip
    314 bytes · Views: 772
Last edited:

oldhouse

Jun 16, 2008
I am running SwiftBL 3.0, and when I launch the script, TouchFLO3d restarts automatically. Does this script work only on roms that have uninstallable manila?
Or do I have to edit some registry settings so that manila doesn't restart automatically?

gravye9fd

Dec 10, 2007
Uncheck TF3D

I am running SwiftBL 3.0, and when I launch the script, TouchFLO3d restarts automatically. Does this script work only on roms that have uninstallable manila?
Or do I have to edit some registry settings so that manila doesn't restart automatically?

Have u tried to uncheck TF3D from Settings->Today->Items before launching the mortscript?

gravye9fd

Dec 10, 2007
when I try and assign a button there are no buttons to select in my menu, any ideas why?

So far, I am using Settings->Buttons and I assign "ToggleManila" to Button1(Hold). By default this may have been assigned to other programs such as Voice Commander etc. Just replace it with "ToggleManila".

I am not familiar with other more advance programs that allow u to assign it to the other hard buttons, so I am sorry I can't advice u on that.

By the way, u might have to create a shortcut that points to the actual file where u place the ToggleManila.mscr, and then u put this shortcut (I simply name it ToggleManila.lnk) inside Windows->Start Menu->Programs before u can select "ToggleManila".

See if it works.

Last edited:

Davey101

Jul 29, 2008
Nottingham
This works great, thanks everyone involved! :)

I find it better than 2nd Today because the device is much quicker without manila running.

charly_mx

Jan 18, 2007
Have you tried the latest ROMS??

Manila works pretty smooth and yu device will be blazing fast. I will be using it always.. :)

Davey101

Jul 29, 2008
Nottingham
Have you tried the latest ROMS??

Manila works pretty smooth and yu device will be blazing fast. I will be using it always.. :)

I'm using Dutty's Diamond v1.8 (full) and used to have speed problems when launching applications, particularly after using the audio player.

TF3D is alright but it doesn't actually do anything that special. The weather screen is pretty but most of the other screens are useless, especially the horribly limited 'favourite contacts'. Now that I've got used to the standard windows today screen I prefer it.

I'm looking forward to trying out Schap's TouchXperience though!

fredcatsmommy

Sep 26, 2007
this works great with the manila2D with the touch. One question though. The script kills the manila2D very quickly, but it does take several seconds for it to run it; any way of speeding that up?

naim khan

Dec 31, 2007
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
As Leekg has mentioned you can use TF3D and SPB Shell together.
I have left TF3D as it is and installed the SPB Shell as well. On the home screen have reprogrammed one of the Soft keys to SPB Menu -- touching that takes me to the Shell. Closing it brings me back to TF3D!
I do have a question though -- is there any way of changing the default msic player to windows media?