[TUT] Flashing your first A500 custom ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

MysticDeth

Apr 13, 2011
Ottawa
I just got my Acer Iconia A500 today and even though I am not new to rooting and installing a custom Rom (I own a Asus Transformer T101 and Galaxy Nexus), I am new to the Iconia A500...I just have a question....Can I just proceed with steps 1-4 and that is all? Also I haven't updated my tab to ICS and is still at 3.0.1 so can I go ahead and install the ICS Rom of my choice? Any help would be great :)

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
I just got my Acer Iconia A500 today and even though I am not new to rooting and installing a custom Rom (I own a Asus Transformer T101 and Galaxy Nexus), I am new to the Iconia A500...I just have a question....Can I just proceed with steps 1-4 and that is all? Also I haven't updated my tab to ICS and is still at 3.0.1 so can I go ahead and install the ICS Rom of my choice? Any help would be great :)

If you're still on 3.0.1, yes, you can proceed with these steps to install one of the custom ICS ROMs :)

Reactions: MysticDeth

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
Thank you so much :D...Is there a Rom that you are absolutely loving?
Well, all custom ICS ROMs are based on the same leaked ROM (recently updated). They feature stock Kernel. Try smaury's 4.3 available now and then civato's Flexreaper R10 that will be released in the next couple of days. Tabooney 3.0.1 hasn't been updated for a while. Don't forget to fully backup your device with CWM before flashing anything. If you're going to try Honeycomb 3.2.1 ROMs -try a stock one, then a stock one with Villain Iconia Kernel, then try thor's 14.2 ROM from tegraowners.com and decide for yourself. Good luck :)

MysticDeth

Apr 13, 2011
Ottawa
I am having a problem flashing a rom in CWM...I get this message

Finding Update package...
Opening Update Package...
Installing Update...
Installation Aborted.

And it doesn't install the Rom at all since the process only takes 1 second lol...Any idea on what could be causing the problem?

I am trying to flash Lightspeed 4.3, I am on stock Honeycomb 3.0.1

Last edited:

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
I am having a problem flashing a rom in CWM...I get this message

Finding Update package...
Opening Update Package...
Installing Update...
Installation Aborted.

And it doesn't install the Rom at all since the process only takes 1 second lol...Any idea on what could be causing the problem?

I am trying to flash Lightspeed 4.3, I am on stock Honeycomb 3.0.1

Check if the downloaded zip file is corrupt - try extracting the zip on your PC- if it gives an error then you need to download the file again. What recovery are you using? Do you have an external SD card?

catfish07

Sep 8, 2008
I installed Acer recovery on my A500 and when I try to flash a from it won't see any zip files I have on my sdcard.. could I have something wrong? I have roms I wanna try but I can't get past this issue.

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium HD app

CanuckinPA

Nov 28, 2010
State College, PA
Need Some Help!

I followed the instructions, rooted my new A500 and did a backup using Titanium Backup.

I then downloaded and installed Thor's latest ROM. However, now I don't have any of my downloaded apps, including CWM and Titanium Backup, available so I can't restore the downloaded apps.

When I go to Google Play using the browser, it says all my necessary apps are already installed on the tablet.

How can I get these apps restored? :confused:

chefdave12118

Dec 11, 2010
Mechanicville
www.faldonis.com
I followed the instructions, rooted my new A500 and did a backup using Titanium Backup.

I then downloaded and installed Thor's latest ROM. However, now I don't have any of my downloaded apps, including CWM and Titanium Backup, available so I can't restore the downloaded apps.

When I go to Google Play using the browser, it says all my necessary apps are already installed on the tablet.

How can I get these apps restored? :confused:

You have to flash gapps. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Reactions: CanuckinPA

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
I installed Acer recovery on my A500 and when I try to flash a from it won't see any zip files I have on my sdcard.. could I have something wrong? I have roms I wanna try but I can't get past this issue.

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium HD app

Do you have an external SD card? If yes, is it properly formatted? What recovery version are you using?

catfish07

Sep 8, 2008
Im not too sure if the micro sd is formatted right.. Do i really have to have it to flash a new Rom? I see the directories and the zip files on sd card and my 2gb external card using root explorer. When i reboot to recovery, go to install zip from sd card, it does not display any zip files that i know is there.

Oh, i am on acer recovery installer v2.74.

clockworkmod recovery v5.0.0.0 rev1.34
bootloader v3.01

Sent from my Infuse 4G running Emancipation!

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
Yes, you need it. Follow the link in the OP post to download SDformatter, format your external SD card, place the zip file on it and try again.
Then you can update your recovery to the latest which supports flashing from internal memory.

Last edited:
Reactions: catfish07

catfish07

Sep 8, 2008
Thanks so much! it worked... Finally got it to recognize my ext. Sd card and zip file. Formatted it to fat32 and came out great. I haven't upgraded CWM yet but i will.. Id talk more but these roms ain't gonna flash themselves.. Thanks again!!

Sent from my Infuse 4G running Emancipation!

Cetin

Nov 6, 2007
UPDATE: if you're on OTA HC 3.2.x then you can just update to ICS and use the method for rooting ICS - links posted below

Root for ICS 4.x.x OTA
Stock ICS Leak One-Click Root Tool by blackthund3r
or
Full root for A500 ICS 4.0.3 - Simple method, posted by ZeroNull

[/I]

I dont understand this guide at that point. I am on stock 3.2.1 and want to flash this custom rom "4.0.4-RE-FLExx-STRYKER_Rev3-public".
This one is ICS but your guide just say upgrade to ICS to use that rooting tool.
But what is my first step?

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I dont understand this guide at that point. I am on stock 3.2.1 and want to flash this custom rom "4.0.4-RE-FLExx-STRYKER_Rev3-public".
This one is ICS but your guide just say upgrade to ICS to use that rooting tool.
But what is my first step?

Your first step is a big one, you have to upgrade your bootloader and custom recovery.

The rooting tool, is not going to help you with this. It won't work. For ICS only.

You need to read;
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1622425

MD

Cetin

Nov 6, 2007
Your first step is a big one, you have to upgrade your bootloader and custom recovery.

The rooting tool, is not going to help you with this. It won't work. For ICS only.

You need to read;

MD

Ok did install bootloader "V8-pubA50._public_recovery.a500apx" successfully.This one sounds like there´s a recovery in it, isn´t it?

When I "adb reboot recovery" it is not going into recovery.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

You need to read;

MD

Ok did install bootloader "V8-pubA50._public_recovery.a500apx" successfully.

When I "adb reboot recovery" it is not going into recovery.

edit: Went into bootloader mode and tried flasing new recovery with "fastboot flash recovery A500PubRecovery_v0.2.img" command and it said writing recovery OKAY.
But I cannot go to the new recovery. It´s showing the android robot.

edit: I got it ! Had to erase recovery first with fastboot erase recovery than fastboot flash.
Now flashing the custom rom and hoping root is in that rom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, flashing a custom ROM on our beloved Iconias became quite easy now thanks to developers on xda. Most of you are quite familiar with the procedure but there are still people that ask basic things all over the ROM developement threads. This is just a beginner's guide, an attempt to collect all the procedures and tools in one thread. Nothing of this is my work and I would like to say THANK YOU to sc2k, thor2002ro, Euclid's Brother, Chainfire, monki-magic, drellisdee, ezterry, Skrilax_CZ, gersma and all A500 developers for making this possible.

You will need the following: external SD card, root rights, unlocked bootloader (if you're on stock ICS), custom recovery and a custom ROM of your choice.

Well lets start by placing an SD card in the SD card expansion slot. Its file system should be FAT32!
    *This is optional: To be sure it is recognized later in CWM, format it first with SD Formatter - a tool that can be downloaded from here. Use your home computer / notebook with a card reader for this procedure. Alternatively you can do this using an ANDROID phone.

1.ROOT

Root for Honeycomb 3.0.1 by monki-magic
    original thread by Slowie911 here

1. Make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected in Applications settings.
    2. Have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait mode and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait.
    3. Download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work).
    4. Once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
    5. Wait and you will receive full root access.

Download Gingerbreak 1.20

Root for Honeycomb 3.1 by sc2k thread here
    1. Goto Settings->Applications and enable "Unkown sources"
    2. Download the attached APK file
    3. Copy the file to your Iconia
    4. Install the APK & start the tool
    5. Click "root"
    6. Enjoy :)

/IconiaRoot should work on both 3.0.x and 3.1/

Download Iconiaroot 1.3

Root for Honeycomb 3.2.x OTA
    Unfortunately there's no dedicated rooting app yet developed for HC3.2. It also comes with a new bootloader. In order to get root you need to revert to an older version of Honeycomb first where Iconiaroot works. How to do that is explained in details in this thread
    UPDATE: if you're on OTA HC 3.2.x then you can just update to ICS and use the method for rooting ICS - links posted below

Root for ICS 4.x.x OTA
    Stock ICS Leak One-Click Root Tool by blackthund3r
    or
    Full root for A500 ICS 4.0.3 - Simple method, posted by ZeroNull

2. Bootloader
    Since there are many new ICS custom ROMs and custom recoveries, please read in their dedicated threads if they require ICS bootloader. Some of the ROMs can recognize the version of your bootloader and load the proper boot.img during boot. In general - if you're on Honeycomb - you have HC bootloader. If you've updated OTA to ICS, then you have stock ICS bootloader, that is unusable for flashing custom ROMs and therefore you need the unlocked bootloader. A guide on how to install it read here - thanks civato. This thread links to a nice little piece of software (option 1) by gersma that can automatically do all the job for you - install ICS unlocked bootloader and custom recovery. Read and download here - AfterOTA by gersma

3.Custom recovery

original thread with clockworkmod recovery by thor2002ro here

1. Open Market app with your tablet and search for Acer Recovery Installer.
    Acer recovery installer
    2. Install it and then open it. It has ClockworkMod Recovery by thor2002ro rev1.3.4 built-in.
    3. Select "ClockworkMod Recovery rev.1.3.4 by thor2002ro". Tap on install Recovery Image. A popup offering to backup current recovery image will appear. Surely, buckup! Thus you can restore your original recovery image in case of need. Then CWM will be installed. Once it is installed you can remove Acer Recovery Installer tool from your system if you want.

thor2002ro updated CWM to 1.7.3. You can download the zip from tegraowners.com. Later versions of his recovery does not meet GPL because of the "mini" kernel of his - sources not being released. It supports flashing both from internal memory and the external SD card. :) In order to update your CWM to this latest version, place the downloaded ZIP on your external sd card and update from your CWM by choosing install zip from sd card. Alternatively you can extract the recovery.img from the zip, place it on your external sd card and install it through Acer Recovery Installer by choosing Custom or Stock recovery.img from micro sdcard.

GPL compliant recoveries
    RA Revamped for Iconia
    TeamWin Recovery Project (twrp) - needs ICS bootloader
    A500 Public Recovery
    Since the creation of AfterOTA by gersma, you can use his software to install both the bootloader and CWM before flashing the ROM. Get it HERE

4. Flashing custom ROM
    Download the ROM of your choice which should be a zip file. Place the zip on your EXTERNAL SD card. Power off your device. Now hold volume down and power buttons together until you see text appearing on the top left corner of the screen - you can release both buttons now. Wait until CWM loads. Volume keys (Up and Down) are used to navigate the CWM menu. Power button is uded as "Enter" i.e. to proceed with your selection. Before going on to install your ROM do a full backup of your system first. Navigate to "backup and restore" and then select Full Backup. Wait untill the operation completes.

Now do the following:
    Wipe menu:
    - wipe data/factory reset -> navigate to "Yes - delete all user data"
    this should format you data partition and cache partition (dalvik cache is gone as well)
    Mounts and storage menu
    - Format System
    this should format your system partition

The above commands are presented in thor's CWM. There are slightly different menus and sub-menus in the other custom recoveries but if you dig a little you'll find that they do the same things and you'll get the idea of what you're doing.

Now you're ready to install your ROM. Get back to the main CWM menu and select
    - Install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from sdcard.
    Navigate to your zip on the SD card and install it - choose "Yes" again to install. Wait untill installation is complete, return to the main CWM menu and choose "reboot system now".
    You're done, enjoy your first custom ROM. Take time for its initial configuration.

5. Flashing custom KERNEL

Flashing custom kernel is as same as custom ROM. You place the zip (Kernels come in zip files as well) on your external SD card and:
    - Install zip from sdcard -> choose zip from sdcard.
    It is recommended before flashing a new kernel to wipe cache partition and dalvik cache. And of course first you flash the ROM and then the desired Kernel :)

6. UNBRICKING by flashing a stock ROM

thanks to vache we have full packages shared in his topic

vache said:
    Once the desired file downloaded, you have to use Acer Update Decryter by thor2002ro to decrypt them.
    After decrypting the file, you have to extract the update.zip from it, put it on an external SDCard (does not work on internal memory) and boot your tablet with Vol- & Power. The update will launch automatically.

p.s. Feel free to add stuff to this tutorial - video, pistures or anything you find useful or to correct me if I've made a mistake.
    This is fantastic. Thank you. I have had my iconia for a month now and been looking at flashing a custom rom but kept backing out. Just a couple of questions for clarification:
    (1). Does wiping data erase the internal sd?
    (2). If by some stroke of bad luck a flash is unsuccessful and a boot loop or similar occurs, am I right in my understanding that you can just go straight back into recovery and re-flash?
    (3). What are the chances of bricking the tablet?

Sorry for noon questions, please just wanna certain because my gf bought me this tablet under the condition I don't do anything risky like on my x10 that I flash almost daily haha

Thanks for replies

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App

1. No, it doesn't.
    2. Yes. You can do that. There's another option in mounts and storage -> format system - that will format even your system partition and leave your device bare with no ROM files on it. That would be a really clean install I guess:)
    EDIT: I just saw that system is formatted during ROM installation. So no need to do that :)
    3. Always read first what option you've selected and be sure you understand what it does. If you have CWM successfully installed, you have a powerfull tool to restore reflash, wipe, format etc. I've flashed my HD2 hundreds of times and now my Iconia is on the run :) Never ever had a boot failiure.
    This is fantastic. Thank you. I have had my iconia for a month now and been looking at flashing a custom rom but kept backing out. Just a couple of questions for clarification:
    (1). Does wiping data erase the internal sd?
    (2). If by some stroke of bad luck a flash is unsuccessful and a boot loop or similar occurs, am I right in my understanding that you can just go straight back into recovery and re-flash?
    (3). What are the chances of bricking the tablet?

Sorry for noon questions, please just wanna certain because my gf bought me this tablet under the condition I don't do anything risky like on my x10 that I flash almost daily haha

Thanks for replies

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App
    That is correct :D
    hi there when i try to flash a rom it cannot find the zip on my sd card?? Do i need to rename my rom zip to update.zip in order for this to work or is the original file name ok to use? thanks
    In CWM you are able to browse all your files. With thor's latest recovery you are even able to flash from the internal memory. Is your external SD card recognized from CWM? Are you using an external sD card?