[HOWTO] mount EMMC and External SD on CM7 as it is on Stock ROMs

Search This thread

talmeida

Sep 14, 2010
Hello Everyone.
In this post, I would like to show how to mount Internal SD card and External SD card when using Cyanogenmod 7 ROM.
I had some issues because CM7 mounts the internal SD card under /mnt/emmc and mounts external SD card under /mnt/sdcard.
As you know, there are many applications that download data using /mnt/sdcard as path and if you have CM7 way of mounting these apps won't work.

So to mount Internal SD card to /mnt/sdcard and External SD card to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd as it is done on Stock ROMs proceed with the following:

1 - Open the file /etc/vold.fstab with your preferred text editor (I use root Explorer) and find and modify the last lines as below an then save:

# internal sdcard
dev_mount emmc /mnt/sdcard 28 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0

# external sdcard
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard/external_sd auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc2/mmc2

# otg sdcard
usb_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard/usbStorage auto /devices/platform/msm_hsusb_host.0

#end line

2 - Open the file /system/build.prop with your preferred text editor and find and modify the following lines as it is show an then save:

# notify vold we have internal and external sd
ro.additionalmounts=/mnt/sdcard/external_sd
ro.vold.switchablepair=/mnt/sdcard/external_sd,/mnt/sdcard

3 - Reboot the phone and voilá :)

This procedure worked for me and I have no issues to mount both my Internal and External SD cards when plugging the phone on my laptop.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
:) a good guide indeed for the CM7 ROM users

I did something similar for all my Gameloft games, EA games, Glu games, and DATA partition, and Download, and all the other stuff, basically i mounted everything off to my 64 GB SD card instead of internal SD :D

lets give this topic some flight time, stuck for a month, it'll come off by itself
also added to main INDEX

Last edited:

talmeida

Sep 14, 2010
ICS

Can someone who had flashed ICS Alpha builds tell us if this procedure works on them?
Thanks and I am glad I'd helped someone by doing this post :)

ngu

Nov 25, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 8
Hello Everyone.
In this post, I would like to show how to mount Internal SD card and External SD card when using Cyanogenmod 7 ROM.
I had some issues because CM7 mounts the internal SD card under /mnt/emmc and mounts external SD card under /mnt/sdcard.
As you know, there are many applications that download data using /mnt/sdcard as path and if you have CM7 way of mounting these apps won't work.

So to mount Internal SD card to /mnt/sdcard and External SD card to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd as it is done on Stock ROMs proceed with the following:

1 - Open the file /etc/vold.fstab with your preferred text editor (I use root Explorer) and find and modify the last lines as below an then save:

# internal sdcard

# external sdcard
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard/external_sd auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc2/mmc2

# otg sdcard
usb_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard/usbStorage auto /devices/platform/msm_hsusb_host.0

#end line

2 - Open the file /system/build.prop with your preferred text editor and find and modify the following lines as it is show an then save:

This procedure worked for me and I have no issues to mount both my Internal and External SD cards when plugging the phone on my laptop.

does it work for other devices cm7 roms??

drzplaya1121

Aug 21, 2009
Bronx, NY
tried it and didn't work for me. Might have typed it wrong. Will try again.

I only used the file browser to see if i can access both the emmc and the sd card but could only get to the emmc

Last edited:

sarcigon

Sep 24, 2009
NEW YORK
Hello Everyone.

# internal sdcard

# external sdcard

# otg sdcard

#end line

Oh man, thank you!

This worked like a charm on my Epic Touch 4G.

jago25_98

Jul 17, 2007
Why not mount the emmc to /mnt/sdcard/external_sd in addition to /mnt/eemc for backward compatibility?

SmirkingSheep

Jun 24, 2012
I had ICS Passion v13 installed on my Samsung Vibrant before, and my vold.fstab file is a bit different from cm7's. I now have cm7 installed but the vold.fstab file doesn't seem to have changed with the change of roms.

It would be great if you could post the fstab and build.prop files somewhere online from where I can download it and replace in my phone because I don't want to mess up again(I encountered the "encryption failed" bug in ICS today and I tore my hair out fixing that..so yeah.)

Thank you.

SmirkingSheep

Jun 24, 2012
This is the vold.fstab file in my Samsung Vibrant:

## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
## - San Mehat (san@android.com)
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

# internal sdcard
dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0

# external sdcard
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2

As you can see, it is differs from the one you posted in the guide. What steps should I take now?

SlasheI2

Mar 8, 2012
Anyone else that's on AOKP have any luck getting this to work??? The flip-flooped SD cards on CM9/AOKP is seriously annoying..

Sent from my AOKP'd T989

has anyone found a solution for AOKP yet? I find that many of my apps such as google music and my camera don't save files properly. This has caused me to switch back to juggernaut.

major thanks to anyone who can help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Everyone.

# internal sdcard

# external sdcard

# otg sdcard

#end line

Testing this out right now on Isotope, let's all keep our fingers crossed.