backup with CLOCKWORK, is it ok?

Search This thread

toroloco73

Feb 11, 2012
i installed clokwork with odin

i've made a backup with this program but at the end appeared this message

No sdcard/android_secure found. Skipping backup of application on external storage

No sd-ex found. skipping backup of sd-ext

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/826/p3290531.jpg

p3290531.jpg

is it ok? or i have to make something special like formatting sd-card or other

thanks

Last edited:

Waddle

Dec 31, 2011
Somewhere...
No the sd card thing is just if you have a partition in it for apps. So the backup you made is perfect. It shows every time when I make one on my phone.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

irishpancake

May 1, 2011
Small Village
Really, what is happening is that Recovery expects to find that .android_secure folder where the External SD Card normally is for most Android, that is /mnt/sdcard .......

But, things are different on our phone, as our External Card is on /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

AS far as I know, and I am open to correction, there is no back-up of Apps moved to external SD performed by this CWM version.

And, I think that as far as Recovery is concerned, the external SD is on /emmc.....

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21816984&postcount=81

/sdcard/external_sd/.android_secure != /sdcard/external_sd

There is no /sdcard/external_sd/.android_secure as far as recovery is concerned. In recovery, what is /sdcard/external_sd in stock rom, is /emmc - which is the external sd card. I'll see if backing up .android_secure from external sd card can be added.

Not sure if the updated Recovery for CM9 has addressed this issue.....back-up of apps moved to External SD???

Reactions: raghu102

2g11

Nov 24, 2011
Accra
AS far as I know, and I am open to correction, there is no back-up of Apps moved to external SD performed by this CWM version.

I understand you here Irish and I read through your discussion with Arco on this issue,but in reality it appears the CWM never had any problems backing up apps; whether moved to to SD or not.I say this because I have many apps on my SD,yet successfully restored them ALL from my nandroid after flashing new stock ROM.

Sent from my Wonder

irishpancake

May 1, 2011
Small Village
I understand you here Irish and I read through your discussion with Arco on this issue,but in reality it appears the CWM never had any problems backing up apps; whether moved to to SD or not.I say this because I have many apps on my SD,yet successfully restored them ALL from my nandroid after flashing new stock ROM.

Sent from my Wonder

Hi again 2g11......:)

I don't dispute what you are saying at all.....

But, can I propose a reason, with some proof, for my contention regarding no backup of Apps moved to External SD??

My contention is that you are able to restore Apps which have been moved to External SD, for the simple reason that your external SD does not change it's contents, as nothing is written to it by Nandroid restore.....

the .android_secure on external SD is left intact, no back-up, no restore, no change.

As part of Android security, there are asec files in the Phone Internal memory, which are basically sym-links to the Apps which are on External SD.......

these are restored as part of the Nandroid Restore process, so if your external SD has not been corrupted, or destroyed, the Restore will appear to restore those Apps on External SD.

My evidence of no backup of External .android_secure folder/files follows...

[I have made a Nandroid backup with CWM recovery, and also used Titanium BU to back-up all Apps+Data]

By use of Titanium Backup Pro ability to extract Apps from Nandroid, I show that an App, my example is Amazon Kindle, is not included in my Nandroid Backup, but it's data is, which is in Internal Phone memory.

See Extract from Nand option and Nandroid Backup used here.

TB_Nand_extract_option.jpg

TBU Extract from Nand Option

TB_CWM.jpg

Nandroid Backup used

This App, Amazon Kindle, has been moved to External SD:

SC20120125-180323.png

Storage Analyser showing Kindle in /mnt/sdcard/external_sd/.android_secure

Below is a pic, showing the Legend [Symbols] used by TBU:

tbu_legend.jpg

Titanium Backup Pro Legend

Now, using the above information, and the fact that Titanium Backup Pro is capable of restoring Apps by extracting from Nandroid, look at the following pic:

tbu_nandroid_extract.jpg

Titanium BU showing only Data Backup for Amazon Kindle in Nandroid

As you can see, only Data relating to Amazon Kindle is backed-up.

To check and verify this, I uninstalled Kindle, and attempted to use the Nandroid to restore, as shown above......with no success.

However, as you know, I also had a regular Titanium BU, of Apps+Data, taken at the same time.

With this I restored Amazon Kindle and data without a hitch!!!

My books are still there!!!! Thank God!!!

But, if I was relying on a Nandroid, made with our CWM, to restore this App after a SD card failure or corruption, I would not be able to do it!!!

My advice is, to be sure, always make a back-up of the full contents of your SD card, by connecting to your PC, and using whatever, e.g. Windows Explorer, with all hidden files and folders shown.....make sure all files with . are backed up

You never know when that SD card will fail, so "Be Prepared" as they say in the Boy Scouts....dib..dib...dib!!

2g11

Nov 24, 2011
Accra
Irish,looks to me like there's plenty of life in those 57-yr old brain cells yet:D.I think your explanation completely 'explains' whats going on here.So keeping apps on the 'external' SD also unwittingly protects them from system wipes as long as you make a nandroid...and as long as your SD doesn't fail you!!Thanks Irish!

Sent from my Wonder

Reactions: irishpancake

irishpancake

May 1, 2011
Small Village
Irish,looks to me like there's plenty of life in those 57-yr old brain cells yet:D.I think your explanation completely 'explains' whats going on here.So keeping apps on the 'external' SD also unwittingly protects them from system wipes as long as you make a nandroid...and as long as your SD doesn't fail you!!Thanks Irish!

Sent from my Wonder

You are most welcome.....thanx!!!

BTW.....58 last Feb.....:eek:

Sent from my SGW GT-I8150 using Tapatalk!!

irishpancake

May 1, 2011
Small Village
Just to reiterate:

The best thing to do, and good practice anyway, back up External SD regularly.....maybe when you do other bk-ups.... like Nandroid and TBU.

Make sure that all hidden files and folders are visible ....there is a Windows setting, not sure for Linux or Mac??

This is basically to ensure that the
.android_secure folder is backed up.

The xxxyyy.asec files there are the App files, which are encrypted and "hidden" [asec = android secure]....

and they have sym links to data in Internal Memory.....

Google sure went to a lot of trouble to "protect" App files on removable memory partition.....:p

irishpancake

May 1, 2011
Small Village
Also, just to mention the other error msg. relating to sd-ext.....like ext-3, or ext-2 partitions.

There is no problem here, this refers to Linux partition on external SD, which is used in some ROM's to move Apps, and which then appear to be on your device.

This is A2SD, by Dark Tremor....which is not supported in our ROM's....afaik!!!!

So no worries there!!!

sparta20

Mar 30, 2012
It's all ok. Happens to me too.

Inviato dal mio GT-I8150 usando Tapatalk

Last edited:

MattD1

Apr 15, 2012
Hey, sorry if I'm being stupid here...

I've got CWM on my phone, and it all seems to work fine...

But at the moment it's storing the backup on my internal SD card. Is there a way to make it store the backup on my external SD card? I've looked around but I can't seem to find the answer... Thanks :)

irishpancake

May 1, 2011
Small Village
Hey, sorry if I'm being stupid here...

I've got CWM on my phone, and it all seems to work fine...

But at the moment it's storing the backup on my internal SD card. Is there a way to make it store the backup on my external SD card? I've looked around but I can't seem to find the answer... Thanks :)

Man....you didn't look too far....

you are in a thread that goes to some trouble to answer your question....:(

did you read the thread before posting :confused:

Read it and learn!!!!

MattD1

Apr 15, 2012
Ok I must really be stupid then... :s

I just re-read the whole thread and I still can't seem to find the answer...?

This thread is about whether the apps stored on the external SD card will be backed up.. I'm not asking that. I'm asking is there a way for the nandroid backup to be stored on the external SD card? What settings do I need to change in CWM to do this..?

irishpancake

May 1, 2011
Small Village
Ok I must really be stupid then... :s

I just re-read the whole thread and I still can't seem to find the answer...?

This thread is about whether the apps stored on the external SD card will be backed up.. I'm not asking that. I'm asking is there a way for the nandroid backup to be stored on the external SD card? What settings do I need to change in CWM to do this..?

Man you are not stupid.....that honor belongs to me :eek: :eek:

b596014004.jpg

I am sooooo sorry....

I did what I accused you of doing.....

not read your post properly, please forgive me !!!!!!!

BTW, it is as rom2007 says.......

maybe I should retire again!!!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my Wonder

Hi again 2g11......:)

I don't dispute what you are saying at all.....

But, can I propose a reason, with some proof, for my contention regarding no backup of Apps moved to External SD??

My contention is that you are able to restore Apps which have been moved to External SD, for the simple reason that your external SD does not change it's contents, as nothing is written to it by Nandroid restore.....

the .android_secure on external SD is left intact, no back-up, no restore, no change.

As part of Android security, there are asec files in the Phone Internal memory, which are basically sym-links to the Apps which are on External SD.......

these are restored as part of the Nandroid Restore process, so if your external SD has not been corrupted, or destroyed, the Restore will appear to restore those Apps on External SD.

My evidence of no backup of External .android_secure folder/files follows...

[I have made a Nandroid backup with CWM recovery, and also used Titanium BU to back-up all Apps+Data]

By use of Titanium Backup Pro ability to extract Apps from Nandroid, I show that an App, my example is Amazon Kindle, is not included in my Nandroid Backup, but it's data is, which is in Internal Phone memory.

See Extract from Nand option and Nandroid Backup used here.

TB_Nand_extract_option.jpg

TBU Extract from Nand Option

TB_CWM.jpg

Nandroid Backup used

This App, Amazon Kindle, has been moved to External SD:

SC20120125-180323.png

Storage Analyser showing Kindle in /mnt/sdcard/external_sd/.android_secure

Below is a pic, showing the Legend [Symbols] used by TBU:

tbu_legend.jpg

Titanium Backup Pro Legend

Now, using the above information, and the fact that Titanium Backup Pro is capable of restoring Apps by extracting from Nandroid, look at the following pic:

tbu_nandroid_extract.jpg

Titanium BU showing only Data Backup for Amazon Kindle in Nandroid

As you can see, only Data relating to Amazon Kindle is backed-up.

To check and verify this, I uninstalled Kindle, and attempted to use the Nandroid to restore, as shown above......with no success.

However, as you know, I also had a regular Titanium BU, of Apps+Data, taken at the same time.

With this I restored Amazon Kindle and data without a hitch!!!

My books are still there!!!! Thank God!!!

But, if I was relying on a Nandroid, made with our CWM, to restore this App after a SD card failure or corruption, I would not be able to do it!!!

My advice is, to be sure, always make a back-up of the full contents of your SD card, by connecting to your PC, and using whatever, e.g. Windows Explorer, with all hidden files and folders shown.....make sure all files with . are backed up

You never know when that SD card will fail, so "Be Prepared" as they say in the Boy Scouts....dib..dib...dib!!
    Really, what is happening is that Recovery expects to find that .android_secure folder where the External SD Card normally is for most Android, that is /mnt/sdcard .......

But, things are different on our phone, as our External Card is on /mnt/sdcard/external_sd

And, I think that as far as Recovery is concerned, the external SD is on /emmc.....

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21816984&postcount=81

/sdcard/external_sd/.android_secure != /sdcard/external_sd

There is no /sdcard/external_sd/.android_secure as far as recovery is concerned. In recovery, what is /sdcard/external_sd in stock rom, is /emmc - which is the external sd card. I'll see if backing up .android_secure from external sd card can be added.

Not sure if the updated Recovery for CM9 has addressed this issue.....back-up of apps moved to External SD???

Sent from my Wonder