SE ICS: A Bad Deal?

Search This thread

phoneyericsson

Dec 30, 2010
I've just been re-reading the official Sony comparison of their Gingerbread and ICS offering. This time I've had the chance to read more properly all the things they said. For the first time I actually have sympathy for Sony. The manufacturers bring out phones (e.g. SE) with the Xperias 2011 all running Gingerbread from the very start, then the next Google upgrade wipes out the phones. I owned the 2010 X10 Mini and our phone got wiped out the same way. It seems to me that we consumers do not benefit. Anyone who comes to this forum is already a bit of tech. nut, we are a very small population of the whole market, of course we want to try what's new and hot. But in this blog, Sony is explicitly saying that ICS is much, much more demanding on system resources and that we will definitely see a fall in performance, they clearly reference longer boot up time, apps force closing and stalling as well as poor video performance for different reasons that they explain in the blog.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/...nical-differences-between-gingerbread-and-ics

Now I want to wait before I upgrade and check out the news. A few new icons and wallpapers is NOT good enough reason for me to upgrade. Better battery is a good reason to wait, which in that blog, Sony says you will get with Gingerbread over ICS. Do we really benefit here? Do we have to buy a new phone every year now, because Google is bumping up the demands of Android, like Microsoft did with Windows Vista? Windows 7 has less requirements than Vista, only slightly, and 8 has the same requirements as 7 so at least we could use the same laptop/pc for a few years. With Google, the way they are doing this is screwing us over I think.

For you, stay with Gingerbread, move to ICS, not sure or want to wait?

prateek_gemini

Nov 10, 2011
Ray users say they havent experienced any major bugs... Battery is definitely poor for now.....

Sent from my WT19i using XDA

Dlmc85

Mar 27, 2011
Pieve San Lorenzo (LU)
I think on the minis and active devices we have the advance of having a smaller resolution area while having almost the same hardware as the other xperia 2011

Sent from my SK17i using XDA

phoneyericsson

Dec 30, 2010
They are really both very good points: we can look to the current Sony beta roms for more clues and it is true, our smaller screen being powered by the same CPU is an advantage. Perhaps we Mini users will have the least trouble amongst the 2011 Xperias?

melander

Dec 31, 2011
Parañaque
Gingerbread would still be the most dominant OS, due to its stability on most phones,
having a new OS or phone is not always the best option.
I really thank the devs here in XDA, they are keeping old phones alive,
giving us a chance to have a taste of the new flavor and further improving stock OS on current phones.
I just recently read about the Xperia S Rom ported to Xperia X10 here, how cool is that...?

urra901109

Sep 5, 2011
I'll choose the custom ICS rom.. sony and other manufacturer has done nothing but giving us all those bloatware while calling it "feature" rather than craps. + I see upgrade as change in UI, but sony's ICS UI has not change much compared to GB

Sent from my Xperia Mini Pro using xda premium

saugatdb

Jan 12, 2011
Kolkata
you can always remove the bloatwares :), though of course with custom roms we can do a lot of things which are still restricted even with a rooted stock rom

dumraden

Feb 18, 2008
This is SPARTAAAA!!
I'll choose the custom ICS rom.. sony and other manufacturer has done nothing but giving us all those bloatware while calling it "feature" rather than craps. + I see upgrade as change in UI, but sony's ICS UI has not change much compared to GB

Sent from my Xperia Mini Pro using xda premium

If you want a different UI, just use a different home.apk? Just saying...

But yea i'm with the OP on these thoughts, have had the same thoughts for quite some time now. The thing is, we can make ICS faster on our devices just as we did with GB, but... How stable will the non-stock ICS roms be? Honestly I would rather see MIUI roms derived from GB as a base than ICS. A lot more stable with less bugs. Even the MIUI roms aren't AOSP based (as are official MIUI releases), they are FXP based roms. So, all in all we are between Stock and FXP releases.

I am not bashing on people working on developing MIUI and various ICS based roms, but like the OP, i'd rather have stability over "new features", such as full HW acceleration, which can be triggered using a variable in GB too (mind you that uses more juice).

I am going to seriously think about moving Spartan Rom from stock GB rom as a source, to stock ICS as a source.

Even if the battery consumption, which in my list of priorities for a fully functional rom is the highest in the list, is sub-par, I wont be switching over to ICS personally.

saugatdb

Jan 12, 2011
Kolkata
@drumraden if you see about other devices there are lots of stable roms are available (mostly aosp based, even I am using a stable custom rom for my Xoom)
We just need to give time to the devs to come up with stable ice roms.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA

phoneyericsson

Dec 30, 2010
Yeah as for battery drain, I'm afraid Sony says on that site above that battery will be less durable with official ICS. What a shame. The discussion here though is really making me thing about all of this.

ginryu

Jul 2, 2009
Mexico City
Yeah I am seriously thinking of going back to gb as soon as there is a good miui rom I am right now on ics because there is only one really stable miui release for the lww and it is ics but i really prefer better battery life.
On the other hand I prefer ics over hb a thousand times on my tab but it has like 7 times the battery of my phone so I have no issue with that.

juyran

Dec 7, 2011
I'll prefer ICS when main apps start to requires ICS.
While the requirements surround the GB I'll stick with it.
But it's nice to know that if it occurs my phone will be ready.
That's why I bought my mini-pro.

Someguyfromhell

Feb 2, 2012
Personally, I will first give it a try. Then we will see, if it deserves to stay on my LWW or not...

prateek_gemini

Nov 10, 2011
yup ... sure will giv official a try ... but the best rom on gb wud be miui .... is that project still going on or has been dumped ?

batman368

Jan 16, 2012
Beertown
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I'm running Kamarush's ICS version for sk17i: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1434001
and that works like a charm. all features that I need on a daily basis, it's really stable, and it's super fast, so if SE say it's more demanding, than that's just not true. All the roms here are so much faster than stock, because here people care about the roms. it feels like the big companies just put something together but never care to optimize it. android's biggest advantage is the custom stuff.
I do feel sorry for anybody running stock software though

dumraden

Feb 18, 2008
This is SPARTAAAA!!
I'm running Kamarush's ICS version for sk17i: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1434001
and that works like a charm. all features that I need on a daily basis, it's really stable, and it's super fast, so if SE say it's more demanding, than that's just not true. All the roms here are so much faster than stock, because here people care about the roms. it feels like the big companies just put something together but never care to optimize it. android's biggest advantage is the custom stuff.
I do feel sorry for anybody running stock software though

One simple question... How much battery %/hour does the rom you have installed consume in standby mode with all radios except mobile turned off.

Sent from my ST17i using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've just been re-reading the official Sony comparison of their Gingerbread and ICS offering. This time I've had the chance to read more properly all the things they said. For the first time I actually have sympathy for Sony. The manufacturers bring out phones (e.g. SE) with the Xperias 2011 all running Gingerbread from the very start, then the next Google upgrade wipes out the phones. I owned the 2010 X10 Mini and our phone got wiped out the same way. It seems to me that we consumers do not benefit. Anyone who comes to this forum is already a bit of tech. nut, we are a very small population of the whole market, of course we want to try what's new and hot. But in this blog, Sony is explicitly saying that ICS is much, much more demanding on system resources and that we will definitely see a fall in performance, they clearly reference longer boot up time, apps force closing and stalling as well as poor video performance for different reasons that they explain in the blog.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/...nical-differences-between-gingerbread-and-ics

Now I want to wait before I upgrade and check out the news. A few new icons and wallpapers is NOT good enough reason for me to upgrade. Better battery is a good reason to wait, which in that blog, Sony says you will get with Gingerbread over ICS. Do we really benefit here? Do we have to buy a new phone every year now, because Google is bumping up the demands of Android, like Microsoft did with Windows Vista? Windows 7 has less requirements than Vista, only slightly, and 8 has the same requirements as 7 so at least we could use the same laptop/pc for a few years. With Google, the way they are doing this is screwing us over I think.

For you, stay with Gingerbread, move to ICS, not sure or want to wait?
    i think lasan is still currently working on the GB MIUI port...