Galaxy Nexus Extended Battery on Skyrocket?

Search This thread

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
Picked up 2 of these at verizon store. Had a bit of difficulty at first. They went to ring me up and asked for my phone number and said you don't have verizon, I don't think we can sell them to you at sales price. I said yes you can, he asked his big boss man and he said sure! Grabbed them just in time, they only had 3 left

wirelessFREAK

Nov 14, 2011
DO NOT GRIND THE BATTERY!
You risk the possibility of serious injury in doing so.
Lithium is very flammable and can explode if leaked while sealed in the device.

I couldn't agree more. No one wants to lose much more than they could ever gain from the battery.
Please disregard any other comments I've made. This includes any useful ones. I tend to make judgements on stuff without fully understanding the details (or trying them) . Battery life is not important.
If you want to develop or modify anything, do so in a proper lab and work under safer conditions

That or just buy an iPhone, iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, or 4s, or wait for the next one. They are MUCH BETTER, and they have hidden batteries. *sarcasm may be in some or all of this reply*

/mourns the Android spirit as he walks into the clean, clear and safe apple store/
sent from my 727

Last edited:
/mourns the Android spirit as he walks into the clean, clear and safe apple store/

ohhh, don't be like that.... the advice is GOOD advice, and I agree with the fact that people who aren't comfortable around tools and working on stuff like this really shouldn't be grinding away at battery casings - remember, I just shaved it down with a razor blade, I didn't take an oscillating, vibrating Dremel to the battery which could cause the battery to rupture as displayed in those videos....

I don't know, maybe a quick word of warning is the right thing to do here, no one wants to be responsible for someone coming on XDA and lighting their leg on fire from having a ruptured battery because of something anyone here advised them to do! I know I'm sure not advising anyone to do it! I mean, how many warnings do devs put on stuff here, telling them they are not responsible for a bricked device if they flash ROMs and what not, the same should be said for someone's health if they do this modification, IMHO

Reactions: tomtommy306

lirong

Feb 21, 2012
Picked up 2 of these at verizon store. Had a bit of difficulty at first. They went to ring me up and asked for my phone number and said you don't have verizon, I don't think we can sell them to you at sales price. I said yes you can, he asked his big boss man and he said sure! Grabbed them just in time, they only had 3 left

I just told them I was picking it up for a friend and had no problem.

wirelessFREAK

Nov 14, 2011
The thing is you can probably fit it without messing around with the battery.

sent from my clean, polished, and safe iPhone 5,6 or 7 (I haven't decided what to call it)

Last edited:

randomtask16

Apr 5, 2007
About to head to VZ at lunch to pick one up, but their website only shows standard 1850mah for $40? The price for extended is $25 though? Anything special I need to tell them/ask for?

SimPup

Aug 11, 2009
Yeah its still on sale I just picked one up today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

wirelessFREAK

Nov 14, 2011
They are trying to clear the stock without setting the clearance flag. It's cause they now bundle the battery with the phone (AFAIK)

sent from my 727

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
So how much increased battery life are people seeing on average? Is it worth it?

Haha, I've been trying very hard to drain it and find out. It ran for over 2 days with over 8 hours of screen on time and I had 38% left. I got tired of trying to drain it and went on a ics flash binge so I never actually drained it all the way. Keep in mind I know how to optimize my phone with UV, UC scripts and other settings. Not everyone will see the same results as every one uses different apps and phones are not created equal.

randomtask16

Apr 5, 2007
Haha, I've been trying very hard to drain it and find out. It ran for over 2 days with over 8 hours of screen on time and I had 38% left. I got tired of trying to drain it and went on a ics flash binge so I never actually drained it all the way. Keep in mind I know how to optimize my phone with UV, UC scripts and other settings. Not everyone will see the same results as every one uses different apps and phones are not created equal.

I'm currently doing the 1st drain on mine. 14hrs 30mins on battery so far. Have been in max drain mode for the past 2 hours (Maps+Lat, BT, Wifi, Music, Screen on w/full bright, auto sync, etc) and i'm at 8%. Looks like a good 16-20hrs of regular usage is reasonable in my case. Definately an improvement, well worth the $25 imo

Mine fit fairly well. I Contra'd it in and stuck the otterbox on and it only feels slightly heavier and like it maybe ate too much lol.

The VZ rep had no clue what I was talking about when I said $25, they had it marked at $50. I haggled for a bit and he finally looked in their system and found it to be $25. Plus the guy kept trying to sell me an external juice pack, and Nexus spare battery + charge dock. Really really didn't want me getting an extended batt for some reason.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I gave in and bought one yesterday.
Some of you guys are getting really lucky with your Skyrocket case alignments. I had to carve the heck out of the battery with a razor just to get the left side of my battery cover to finally snap in place without buldging.
As in, remove the top Sammsung sticker and then remove the second, smaller sticker that holds the antenna in place, then also carve up the plastic top & bottom retainers and also shave down the battery "metal" itself.

SimPup

Aug 11, 2009
I gave in and bought one yesterday.
Some of you guys are getting really lucky with your Skyrocket case alignments. I had to carve the heck out of the battery with a razor just to get the left side of my battery cover to finally snap in place without buldging.
As in, remove the top Sammsung sticker and then remove the second, smaller sticker that holds the antenna in place, then also carve up the plastic top & bottom retainers and also shave down the battery "metal" itself.

Mind posting a pic?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think this info should be added to the op:
    ---------------------------------
    1. Go to Sprint Employee Referral Program [sprint.com]
    2. enter: russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com (as email) // 383 as Employee ID // [this info is public]
    3. make your way to accessories, select galaxy Nexus, add the battery [sprint.com] to cart and enter battery1 coupon code
    4. check out (total should be free, with free shipping), be sure to enter the employee email and ID on the check out page again.
    5. wait for the sent email

NOTE: The description says that it is a bundle that is free with purchase of GNex but it will allow you to checkout with just the battery in your cart! When I applied the coupon code, it redirected me to select a phone. When i clicked back (google chrome) and reapplied the coupon, it took me to checkout (free).
    ------------------------

This worked for me.
    Okay friends, now's the time to stock up! check out this deal for a FREE Nexus extended battery from Sprint! http://slickdeals.net/f/5055866-FREE-Sprint-Galaxy-Nexus-extended-battery?

I bought one for $0 shipped. Did have to enter my credit card info of course.

Enjoy!
    Here's an instructable on one method of trimming down the battery for those who have poor fitment.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Modify-a-Galaxy-Nexus-extended-battery-to-fit-the-/
    Do you mind posting pics of what you did?

Your wish is granted :)
    As with all modifications, I can not be held responsible for your actions. Including, but not limited to trying to modify your phone or battery. You will obviously lose the warranty on the battery, and possibly the phone.

I unwrapped the battery in step 1, thus exposing the NFC antenna, so It's there for sure :)
    I only needed to take a bit off the top left corner, not even the unwrapping part. It's just plastic that's needed to keep it looking symmetric. Who cares about looks when its gonna be covered by the lid. I'll take a pick with my transformer, but i'm in my car, so please excuse the lighting

{This is the extended battery that is sold by Verizon for the Samsung galaxy nexus, It has just been undressed (needlessly), and sanded in the top left corner}

Please press the thank button if I helped

sent from my transformer prime