rooting a japanese evo

Search This thread

SharpIS03

Dec 17, 2010
Koshigaya
I rooted once before and backed up the WiMAX partition like you say. However I couldn't get a connection which seemed to be a common issue with those rooting the Japanese version of the evo, as most roms use sprints' base whereas here we have au which uses a different software version and whatnot. Did you manage to flash without any problems to your WiMAX here in Japan?

Evo WiMAX Japan

Yes, it's very difficult to find a custom ROM that is made specifically for our Japanese EVOs. However, I was able to find the latest RUU (came out less than a month ago?) - software version 2.26.970.1, cook up a custom ROM from it with root and Superuser built in, and apply it to my EVO. As far as I know, I have the latest version possible with full root capabilities. Wimax works as well since I'm using the RUU made for our phones...

My next step is to build another custom ROM, take out bloatware, and maybe learn how to tweak it a little bit...but, I'm very much a beginner at ROM cooking...so it will take some time.

mkelsho

Jul 8, 2010
Florida
I would assume that the person lives in Japan like the others posting in this particular thread. That's the reason I've got one! Could be wrong.

Evo WiMAX Japan

I didn't know that xda went outside the US, but i also never needed to....idc, just as long as I don't have to hit 1 for english

Sent from my MikG'd Boost Mobile HTC EVO 4G using XDA

Robobob1221

Feb 4, 2012
取手市。日本
Yes, it's very difficult to find a custom ROM that is made specifically for our Japanese EVOs. However, I was able to find the latest RUU (came out less than a month ago?) - software version 2.26.970.1, cook up a custom ROM from it with root and Superuser built in, and apply it to my EVO. As far as I know, I have the latest version possible with full root capabilities. Wimax works as well since I'm using the RUU made for our phones...

My next step is to build another custom ROM, take out bloatware, and maybe learn how to tweak it a little bit...but, I'm very much a beginner at ROM cooking...so it will take some time.

So the ROM you've made is stock + root and SU?
And it's fairly stable, no issues with connections? Good work!!
How about carrier services like the au mail and c-mail/sms style mailing between networks?

Will you be sharing/have you shared this? I'd like to try it out, if I get the balls to try rooting again!

Evo WiMAX Japan

SharpIS03

Dec 17, 2010
Koshigaya
So the ROM you've made is stock + root and SU?
And it's fairly stable, no issues with connections? Good work!!
How about carrier services like the au mail and c-mail/sms style mailing between networks?

Will you be sharing/have you shared this? I'd like to try it out, if I get the balls to try rooting again!

Evo WiMAX Japan

Very stable since it's the stock rom, only thing I added was root, and I didn't take anything out of the rom. Carrier services seem to work as well, au mail definitely works. I haven't tried SMS yet since I hardly ever use it, but I'll try it just in case.

I will definitely share this, but I'd like to try what I've been doing a couple more times so I can get the steps right...everything has been a mix of going on different forums in both English and Japanese. Once I clear up the steps I've been following, I'll post it here or possibly in its own thread.

Can you tell me your android version and build number? Just want to verify something.

Robobob1221

Feb 4, 2012
取手市。日本
Very stable since it's the stock rom, only thing I added was root, and I didn't take anything out of the rom. Carrier services seem to work as well, au mail definitely works. I haven't tried SMS yet since I hardly ever use it, but I'll try it just in case.

I will definitely share this, but I'd like to try what I've been doing a couple more times so I can get the steps right...everything has been a mix of going on different forums in both English and Japanese. Once I clear up the steps I've been following, I'll post it here or possibly in its own thread.

Can you tell me your android version and build number? Just want to verify something.

Android version is 2.3.4
Build No. 2.26.970.1 CL327824 release-keys.

That what you need?

Evo WiMAX Japan

Robobob1221

Feb 4, 2012
取手市。日本
Ah, revolutionary.io method then? Yes, this method will require the command prompt.

Yeah that's the one. As long as I know what order to do things in and the prompts are straight forward then it should be ok to follow.

Keep meaning to try using adb to attempt to root the samsung tablet they give you with the Evo manually, as practice, but haven't got round to it yet!

SharpIS03

Dec 17, 2010
Koshigaya
Yeah that's the one. As long as I know what order to do things in and the prompts are straight forward then it should be ok to follow.

Keep meaning to try using adb to attempt to root the samsung tablet they give you with the Evo manually, as practice, but haven't got round to it yet!

It's not so bad, but definitely be careful about the commands. In fact, I'm going through this process again just to ensure that my instructions and commands are correct. Since you're on the latest firmware, here's a quick run-down on what you're going to need to do:

1. Downgrade to stock
  2. get root and CWM via revolutionary.io
  3. flash custom stock rom

Looks easy when it's like that...haha.

Robobob1221

Feb 4, 2012
取手市。日本
It's not so bad, but definitely be careful about the commands. In fact, I'm going through this process again just to ensure that my instructions and commands are correct. Since you're on the latest firmware, here's a quick run-down on what you're going to need to do:

1. Downgrade to stock
  2. get root and CWM via revolutionary.io
  3. flash custom stock rom

Looks easy when it's like that...haha.

When you say downgrade to stock, do you mean that I need to go back to the previous software build? Think I'm gonna have to ask how you do that?!

And the rest with the revolutionary.io and flashing of the custom rom will be like I did before?

SharpIS03

Dec 17, 2010
Koshigaya
When you say downgrade to stock, do you mean that I need to go back to the previous software build? Think I'm gonna have to ask how you do that?!

And the rest with the revolutionary.io and flashing of the custom rom will be like I did before?

Yes, in fact, we'll be going back to the earliest build that came with the phone. My instructions should be fine and I'm including any files that you will need to downgrade. Rooting and flashing should be as before, yes.

Robobob1221

Feb 4, 2012
取手市。日本
Yes, in fact, we'll be going back to the earliest build that came with the phone. My instructions should be fine and I'm including any files that you will need to downgrade. Rooting and flashing should be as before, yes.

So, will it be that adb commands will be needed to downgrade to the original software and then after that it's just a process of using revolutionary to obtain root and apply CWM? Will the custom rom being flashed be the one you're creating or will it be the one of the files you can find in this forum?

Yeah, writing about it does make it seem so simple...wish it was:confused:!!

SharpIS03

Dec 17, 2010
Koshigaya
So, will it be that adb commands will be needed to downgrade to the original software and then after that it's just a process of using revolutionary to obtain root and apply CWM? Will the custom rom being flashed be the one you're creating or will it be the one of the files you can find in this forum?

Yes, to the first part. The custom rom is the one I created, so WiMax and all that stuff for our Japanese Evo should work! I'll provide the custom rom.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Well, hopefully it is. I finished going through the whole process again, and am successfully back on the latest build with root and other things working as far as I can tell.

When you're ready, send me a private message. We'll go from there.

Reactions: Robobob1221

SharpIS03

Dec 17, 2010
Koshigaya
Anyone know if any information regarding ICS specifically for our device? I can't find anything through my Google searches...but just wondering. I'm going to try to compile ICS just for some experience...I hope ICS comes to our device...

Asutke781

Apr 22, 2012
Ishikawa
Where can I get the RUU 2.26.970.1? I found a download link for a filefactory.com download but cannot download it without becoming a paid member which I don't really want to do for one file. Any one know of a different location?

SharpIS03

Dec 17, 2010
Koshigaya
Where can I get the RUU 2.26.970.1? I found a download link for a filefactory.com download but cannot download it without becoming a paid member which I don't really want to do for one file. Any one know of a different location?

I was able to download it from that filefactory site, took a while though. I'll see if i cqn upload it somewhere.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No way to root any of the Evo's with updated software at the moment. The Japanese one because of their hboot and the US version because they fixed the GB exploit.

Yes, to the first part. The custom rom is the one I created, so WiMax and all that stuff for our Japanese Evo should work! I'll provide the custom rom.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Well, hopefully it is. I finished going through the whole process again, and am successfully back on the latest build with root and other things working as far as I can tell.

When you're ready, send me a private message. We'll go from there.
    Custom ROM

Ok, so I've been working on a personal ROM looking at those based off of Sprints 4.67 base, and the mods they have and what not. So I've been attempting to incorporate a few of these features using our rooted base rom provided by SharpIS03.

I've managed to get working for our ROM:
    • Transparency (Settings and Status Bar)
    • CRT Animation (on and off)
    • Some attempts at new colour theming
    • Advanced Power Menu (Reboot, and Sound options)
    • Volume Rocker: long press to skip music when screen is off
    • Swipe to clear notification panel
    • Native Screenshot (power+home button)
    • Battery Bar
    • Extended Quick Settings *(alignment needs some adjusting)

This is what I've got working so far. I will also work at optimizing it as best I can.

I'm running also with ca1ne's underworld-sbc kernel and papa smurfs' Smurfed Out script.
    Also I've attempted to 'de-sense' the ROM so ssLauncher is the home replacement.

If anyone would like to try it out PM me. If there are any suggestions for other Mods let me know. I'm willing to give it a go if I can.
    Not a flashable ROM yet

@SharpIS03
    I sent you a PM.
    I stopped trying to compile in ROM form as I didn't really get any interest.
    I've been trying again recently, however I think I know what some of the problems are.
    If you were willing to help that would be great.

I sent you a pm with the link to a d/l, but as I said that one was a bit broken. I made some edits before work, and cooked up a newer version, and this seems to have gotten rid of the issues with wimax and wifi and the framework mods are working. I left it u/l so I should be able to have it available for d/l tonight. Also I put the wrong version of the launcher on it! There will most likely be a red line through it saying licence check failed as it's the paid version:banghead:
    You can download the free version and replace the paid one, but I'll make sure to change it. Keep forgetting that this is shared!

Japan EVO users:
    I've added some pic attachments to give people an idea of the visuals/mods.

Anybody want to test this out?