Sony Ericsson MBW-150 OLED repairs

Search This thread

leobg

Mar 7, 2006
I have a never used MBW-100, but I think the battery is dead as it shows charging when attached to the charger + once fully charged (Logo showing full) and unplug the charger, the screen goes blank and the watch stops showing correct time.

The weird part is, I have the dimmed problem too, almost invisible, BUT when I unplug the charger, for a fraction of a second the screen brightness goes very bright, shows perfectly the battery and falls into it's end. 9 out of 10 times I get that situation...

Is it really the OLED being dead??? Couldn't it be a different problem?

Thanks,
PVTD

You are totally onto something! Anyone who opened their watch, are there any discrete elements on the motherboard?

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear
You are totally onto something! Anyone who opened their watch, are there any discrete elements on the motherboard?

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

There are no discrete elements. I posted pictures of both sides of the circuit board earlier in this thread. I have replaced batteries in two of my three MBW-150s. They all have completely faded displays, but I have never seen them flash to life when removing them from the charger.

Ever since I switched from Windows Mobile a couple years ago, my watch batteries only last almost exactly six hours before they get too weak, and vibrate and turn Bluetooth. I have posted about this before but apparently no one else has this problem. I have been through multiple Android phones, ROMs, kernels, etc. but they all act the same.

Ninjarider

Nov 8, 2011
Hi PVTD

About your problem with dim Oled and battery.
Your Oled might be ok, is possible that you battery needs a jumpstart.
Open your watch and take out battery (easy with the socket)
Use a 3,7v (18650) battery or other fresh battery adding up to about 3.7v.
Now take a cable from to + to + and - to - for some minutes.
This will give battery a lot more juice to wake it alive.
After this, connect to normal charger to top up battery.
I have had a 150 lying for 6months before use and sendt it in for warranty repair.
I got reply they could not replace battery.... I got watch back + a warrany package deal replacement of a Mobile SE Experia mini pro (that i sold).
Jumpstarted battery and works fine since (4months)
Reason for me to expect that your Oled is ok, is that it shows light when charging.
Watch does not show any more light than their faded state.

Now you all folk asking for my project replacing Oleds.
I was promised and I also paid for Oleds that never was shipped due productions stop. I got refund of course.
Seems like I am walking the same route that others here have.
My apology for misleading you guys and giving you hope.
I have for a long time been looking all over for a 31pin (downline) Oleds.
They just dont seem to be in production any more.
I think that these 31pins have been replaced by 14pins sideways. These 14pins Oleds gives us the possiblity to connect,,, because not all 31pins are in use. Problem with 14pins Oleds is the driver SSD1 that is sideways. There might be space problem to allocate driver sideways. ( going this way with sideways driver and 14 pins connection , is that connections must be cabeled (14).

There is a company saying that thay have some 31pins stock left but not willing to do deal. I do send mails hoping that they will ship that small stock they seem to have.

If all this ends up with no fix we can look for the Meta analog watch that is the next best option. This watch does not have the same battery life as the 150 but its is a good replacement i think .
Now the sony Smart watch is coming for 150usd. 3-7days battery life .
I may be going this way after my 150`s are dead. or maybe a Wimm One.....?
Definitely not the I`mWatch because of the terrible batterylife of 8-12hrs.
I think we will se more and more new watches coming to market.
:eek:

Ninjasoontorideagain

vaevictus_net

Oct 9, 2009
Keosauqua, IA
What was so terrible about your fake one? Did you have the two button LM958 like this one? http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/c16c/ How long did you use it, and did the display hold up? If so, I'm thinking about just getting one of those and be done with it, or I might even be interested in buying yours. About all I use are the caller ID and text message notification anyway. :rolleyes:

Have you contacted the companies you mentioned to find out if their displays are compatible with and available for the MBW-150? What did they say? I have the display removed from one of my three MBW-150s, and it's pretty much a paperweight until/unless this gets resolved.

I've got two paperweights myself, but my son has been a handful lately and we moved and i've got another son on the way. I'd love to see whether those displays would work.

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear
I've got two paperweights myself, but my son has been a handful lately and we moved and i've got another son on the way. I'd love to see whether those displays would work.

I'm sorry to say that even without a working display, my Bluetooth connection only lasts about six hours before it kills the phone battery enough to turn Bluetooth off. :( I haven't seen anyone else with the same complaint, but I used to get a week or so on Windows Mobile. I have had the same short life on every Android phone and OS version I've been through for well over a year.

S

slacker07

Have You Ever

I have found that many of these issues are caused due to moisture. Yes, I know it sounds darfed but the tiniest amount of moisture can cause havok with oled and other components. All you can do is put your device inside a tub of rice. I know, weird hey but it works, the moisture is literally soaked into the rice and away from your device. Even the moisture in terms of air humidity can have a small effect that causes havok. There is even a tiny creature that feeds off metal and other bi-metal components and they slowly create strands and inter connective fibers between circuit components from their tiny little dead corpses. They rely on any moisture available, so best be certain your device is humidity free before trying expensive repairs.

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear
I have found that many of these issues are caused due to moisture. Yes, I know it sounds darfed but the tiniest amount of moisture can cause havok with oled and other components. All you can do is put your device inside a tub of rice. I know, weird hey but it works, the moisture is literally soaked into the rice and away from your device. Even the moisture in terms of air humidity can have a small effect that causes havok. There is even a tiny creature that feeds off metal and other bi-metal components and they slowly create strands and inter connective fibers between circuit components from their tiny little dead corpses. They rely on any moisture available, so best be certain your device is humidity free before trying expensive repairs.

Were you able to revive your MBW-150 OLED display with rice?

S

slacker07

No, however my grandmothers ipad, my previous sgs2 and my nephews Nokia N9 where all saved by this old trick of the trade. Sucked the moisture out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

leobg

Mar 7, 2006
The watch is supposed to be waterproof. I doubt soaking it in rise will revert the display, even if you open it before putting it rise.

I ended up using my MBW150's as regular watches. With Bluetooth off, battery lasts nearly 4 months (slightly less on my older one.)
That - until decently looking Bluetooth watch gets released by somebody.
Tamagotchies like the recent Sony Smart Watch or LiveView do not count. TI's analog one looks kind of boring with that shape and I also prefer metal wristbands.

Display not working has one advantage - battery lasts much longer and on the phone too (well... J.K.)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

S

slacker07

The waterproofing membrane relies on pressure to keep it sealed when under water. Atmospheric pressure changes can result in water passing through this membrane inn a process similar to osmosis. Rice can reverse these effects.

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear
The waterproofing membrane relies on pressure to keep it sealed when under water. Atmospheric pressure changes can result in water passing through this membrane inn a process similar to osmosis. Rice can reverse these effects.

What membrane are you referring to? I have one of my MBW-150s apart, waiting and hoping for a new display. The only thing I see that would make it at all waterproof is a thin O-ring that fits in grooves in the top and bottom piece.

S

slacker07

What membrane are you referring to? I have one of my MBW-150s apart, waiting and hoping for a new display. The only thing I see that would make it at all waterproof is a thin O-ring that fits in grooves in the top and bottom piece.

Yip that is the one, the high quality ones are made from breast implant grade silicone compound while lower quality ones are usually plain rubber.

chriscardinal

Feb 5, 2010
Just a data point that I bought one of the last few MBW-150 Classics I could find on eBay just a couple months ago and the display is already dimming, even though it was, or at least appeared completely new in box. My earlier MBW-150 had lasted about a year and a half before the OLED faded. Very disappointed, since I spent $120 on it, but alas.

I did get it wet, and I'm trying to think if that occurred before the dimming began. Might try the rice thing as a hail mary.

For now, I'm seriously considering the Pebble watch, even though it's not a traditional "watch", which is a big part of what attracted me to the MBW.

Ninjarider

Nov 8, 2011
Att Nforce

Im trying to reply your PM. I am unable to reply to it. I dont know why....
maybe its my browser...
Please advise if company have confirmed stock.
My experince is that some resellers take on orders and cansell them due to fact that they are not in stock/production any more.
Please advice as I will try to resolder a new oled.

rgds Ninja

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New OLED

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg
    New OLED

Hi! I got to change the display!
    I used RGS08096016B001.
    Ritdisplay firm.
    DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg
    four times click bottom-right button after that one click top-right button
    Hey :)

What do you think about: Monochrome yellow 96x16 oled graphic display ??

You can see this oled on ebay. Would be work with MBW-150 ??

... i have info for you :)
    Display on ebay is OSRAM/PICTIVA...i have purchased it from the seller in white color.
    Seller say, that display must be same as my original...BUT NOT!!!
    Display is connected from another side, is larger , and show pictures like mirrored.
    Driver is SSD1303

img2709j.jpg

BTW...after hard searching on internet i have found manufacturer of original display.
    It is RiTdisplay company...so i have contacted him and here is reply....not good reply :(

Dear Sir,

After check the product --P13707 , the project was EOL before 3 years ago.
    I'm afraid that you need to find other item and change design.

regards,
    Joanne Tien
    RiTdisplay Corporation
    Seen the first link, didn't think it applied because it looks like the FPC is facing towards the camera as well as the PCB. It was my understanding that the OLED FPC had a much finer pitch than the one shown in the first video. The second video does not apply much at all due to the OLED having windowed leads vs the standard leads on the SE display.

Very happy about the step by step instructions you gave for disassembling the watch though! :D Where did you purchase the displays from?

Also, you were able to remove the old display without damaging the PCB contacts?! you must post pictures! I'm very interested! :)

I ordered the displays from http://sales.trulydisplays.com/ using the part number for the white display linked to earlier, OEL9M0023-W-E.

I took this picture with my phone and it's a little blurry, plus the forum resized it. While some of the display leads were broken in the process, I think you can see that the contacts on the watch are intact.