[APP] Swype beta on your SideKick 4G!!

Search This thread

WolfV2

Dec 9, 2011
Colorado
I just started using Swype again (I had been using SwiftKey X then decided to try Swype to see if I liked it), and after taking a look at the Swype beta vs. the preloaded Swype on the SK4G I couldn't resist trying to install the beta.

Here's how to do it:

1. Root your phone
2. Install Titanium Backup
3. Using Titanium Backup uninstall the preloaded version of Swype
4. Using RootExplorer, ADB (good luck), or Android Commander, remove /system/lib/libSwypeCore<swype version>.so
5. Boot into CWM and wipe dalvik cache
6. Go to http://beta.swype.com/android/get and download Swype Installer, and install (on device)
7. (You must have a Swype Beta account, which you can easily create here) Run Swype Installer, follow directions (pretty straight forward)
And now you have Swype Beta!!

I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THIS, I found the information here.

Screenshot:
editedshot000021.png

Last edited:

WolfV2

Dec 9, 2011
Colorado
Better prediction, and instead of the "balloon" that used to popup with the with the predictions, the predictions are in a bar above the keyboard- similar to the gingerbread keyboard.

HeavyYeti

Nov 8, 2011
El Paso, Texas
Must say, good find man. I really like the bar up top rather than the intrusive bubble. Also, the font matches GOv2 (I don't know if it's stock or if it actually fits the phone's as the original Skype did not.); it just themes and feels leaps and bounds better.

WolfV2

Dec 9, 2011
Colorado
Yes I absolutely agree, the bubble was obnoxious. The Swype Beta just feels better, and as HeavyYeti mentioned the theming is nice as well. It goes nicely with GloriousOverdoseV2 :D

JiN1337

Feb 13, 2012
Springfield, Massachusetts
Thanks, going to do this right now! :D

---------- Post added at 04:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

Thanks for the thread, and I don't mean to hijack..just trying to make it a little easier, because I had a problem using Titanium Backup's force uninstall feature.

1. Go to Google Play Store & download Link2SD (free)
2. Run the app and search for "Swype" and long press Swype and hit "Uninstall".
3. Go to Swype.com and proceed to install the beta as you normally would.

--END--

Hope I helped guys.

WolfV2

Dec 9, 2011
Colorado
Interesting the TiBu uninstal doesn't work for some of you... thanks for the fix JiN1337

Sent from my SGH-T839 using XDA

Reactions: JiN1337

shadowscott

Apr 29, 2011
I installed this via the OPs instructions. Took longer to reboot after dalvik wipe. Apps were gone from App Drawer for like 10 minutes (thought I screwed something up because I could not see any of my apps)

Anyway, I got Beta to install, apps reappeared eventually, it's just that is it extremely laggy using Beta version 1.0.3.5809. Words sometimes don't come out right because it screws up keystrokes while swiping. Any ideas? I am running Stock Rom KJ2.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just started using Swype again (I had been using SwiftKey X then decided to try Swype to see if I liked it), and after taking a look at the Swype beta vs. the preloaded Swype on the SK4G I couldn't resist trying to install the beta.

Here's how to do it:

1. Root your phone
    2. Install Titanium Backup
    3. Using Titanium Backup uninstall the preloaded version of Swype
    4. Using RootExplorer, ADB (good luck), or Android Commander, remove /system/lib/libSwypeCore<swype version>.so
    5. Boot into CWM and wipe dalvik cache
    6. Go to http://beta.swype.com/android/get and download Swype Installer, and install (on device)
    7. (You must have a Swype Beta account, which you can easily create here) Run Swype Installer, follow directions (pretty straight forward)
    And now you have Swype Beta!!

I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THIS, I found the information here.

Screenshot:
    editedshot000021.png
    Thanks, going to do this right now! :D

---------- Post added at 04:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

Thanks for the thread, and I don't mean to hijack..just trying to make it a little easier, because I had a problem using Titanium Backup's force uninstall feature.

1. Go to Google Play Store & download Link2SD (free)
    2. Run the app and search for "Swype" and long press Swype and hit "Uninstall".
    3. Go to Swype.com and proceed to install the beta as you normally would.

--END--

Hope I helped guys.
    Pretty cool, but what exactly is the difference between the beta and the default SK4G swype keyboard?
    I got the Beta working via JiN1337's method to force uninstall. Ti Backup was throwing a fit. :\
    Interesting the TiBu uninstal doesn't work for some of you... thanks for the fix JiN1337

Sent from my SGH-T839 using XDA