Why buy an unlocked phone over a carrier phone?

Search This thread

adelmundo

Oct 10, 2010
San Ramon, CA
I should have modified my post up there :)
Anyway, a special thank to adelmundo and few others that help me to adjust my mindset about this. I never heard of StraightTalk plan b4.
Can you provide some info about the plan?
I've tried to search but very confuse about what it is? Is it a AT&T pre-paid plan? or is it a company that using other phone provider services?

Straight Talk is an MVNO that provides prepaid mobile plans in the USA. They sell the phones and refill cards at Walmart and online and they use either AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint depending on what phone you purchase. Before you wanted to to get your unlocked phone on Straight Talk, you would have to buy a phone from them such as the Nokia N71, and take the SIM card and put it into your unlocked phone.

However a few months ago, Straight Talk introduced a Bring Your Own Device option where you could purchase a SIM card from them for $15 and then put it into your phone and pay $45/month for their unlimited everything plan.

Keep in mind though that although they advertise as Unlimited everything, there are some caveats to what "unlimited" really means. The voice and texting for the most part is unlimited, but there is no roaming I believe. Where the problem lies is the data part of unlimited. In their TOS, you are not allowed to stream music or video (like YouTube, Netflix, Pandora, etc.) Some people have been given warnings and have even had their SIM deactivated when they used to much data. On the safe side, some people have gone by the under 100 MB/day or 2 GB/month of data use to be safe. No one knows exactly what Straight Talk's criteria is or how they can determine if you're streaming or not. Most times they will give you a warning or 2 before they cut you off. If you look in howardforums.com, there are threads about Straight Talk, but as I have said, know one knows their exact criteria.

Most of the time I am on WIFI at work or at home, so I use very little 3G data. Their speeds are good if you do use 3G. You can even get HSPA+ (aka Faux G) if you have a phone capable of it. I had gotten on average ~2 Mbps down and as high as 8-9 Mbps in some areas.

If you bring your own phone that is GSM capable, you can use both phones that are AT&T or T-Mobile compatible. If you choose a phone that is T-Mobile compatible, you can request a T-Mo SIM. If you choose a phone uses AT&T bands, you can request the AT&T compatible SIM. You can even bring an iPhone on their network and can request the mini-SIM as well. I have also heard they treat the T-Mo phones differently as well, allowing them to use more data since T-Mo's data is unlimited, but throttled after 2GB. Although I don't know for sure since I'm not using the T-Mo SIM.

Straight Talk's website is straighttalk.com btw.

Reactions: votinh

mlackke

Apr 10, 2012
In Argentina you pay to the carrier a Galaxy SII 560 dollars, and you are locked for 18 months, after that you may ask the unlock key and its all yours, free to use with other companies.
Its the common procedure here, because an unbranded SII is paid over 900 dollars
900$ and soon we have SIII, must double the price then :)

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
Straight Talk is an MVNO that provides prepaid mobile plans in the USA. They sell the phones and refill cards at Walmart and online and they use either AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint depending on what phone you purchase. Before you wanted to to get your unlocked phone on Straight Talk, you would have to buy a phone from them such as the Nokia N71, and take the SIM card and put it into your unlocked phone.

However a few months ago, Straight Talk introduced a Bring Your Own Device option where you could purchase a SIM card from them for $15 and then put it into your phone and pay $45/month for their unlimited everything plan.

Keep in mind though that although they advertise as Unlimited everything, there are some caveats to what "unlimited" really means. The voice and texting for the most part is unlimited, but there is no roaming I believe. Where the problem lies is the data part of unlimited. In their TOS, you are not allowed to stream music or video (like YouTube, Netflix, Pandora, etc.) Some people have been given warnings and have even had their SIM deactivated when they used to much data. On the safe side, some people have gone by the under 100 MB/day or 2 GB/month of data use to be safe. No one knows exactly what Straight Talk's criteria is or how they can determine if you're streaming or not. Most times they will give you a warning or 2 before they cut you off. If you look in howardforums.com, there are threads about Straight Talk, but as I have said, know one knows their exact criteria.

Most of the time I am on WIFI at work or at home, so I use very little 3G data. Their speeds are good if you do use 3G. You can even get HSPA+ (aka Faux G) if you have a phone capable of it. I had gotten on average ~2 Mbps down and as high as 8-9 Mbps in some areas.

If you bring your own phone that is GSM capable, you can use both phones that are AT&T or T-Mobile compatible. If you choose a phone that is T-Mobile compatible, you can request a T-Mo SIM. If you choose a phone uses AT&T bands, you can request the AT&T compatible SIM. You can even bring an iPhone on their network and can request the mini-SIM as well. I have also heard they treat the T-Mo phones differently as well, allowing them to use more data since T-Mo's data is unlimited, but throttled after 2GB. Although I don't know for sure since I'm not using the T-Mo SIM.

Based on what you have said, it seems indeed very good.
About roaming, assuming if I get the AT&T-compatible phone, I should get all AT&T coverage? yes, no? maybe?
Also, since it uses AT&T network, I assume that call quality would be the same, right?
About the data, I would never abuse it so not worry, I'm on AT&T now and my last 2 bills, I averaged 150MB per month since I mainly use wifi for higher speed.
It's also good to know that you got very good up/download rate. Awesome.
A question, if I get an AT&T-compatible phone, my other end is purely on AT&T network, do we have mobile-to-mobile discount? I know on my end, it's unlimited so I don't care but how's about the other end?

Again, big thank, m8

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

80% aren't and will never be available, they're hardware-butchered most of the time, and even per unlocking/debranding you can't trick carriers for lower data rates (ATT).

So while that $10 SGS2 sounds nice, I'd rather get it, sell it, and buy international instead.

Can you elaborate it a bit? I'm not quite understand what you meant.
80% aren't and will be never available? 80% of what? unlocking?

Also, why "trick carriers for lower data rates"?

adelmundo

Oct 10, 2010
San Ramon, CA
Based on what you have said, it seems indeed very good.
About roaming, assuming if I get the AT&T-compatible phone, I should get all AT&T coverage? yes, no? maybe?
Also, since it uses AT&T network, I assume that call quality would be the same, right?
About the data, I would never abuse it so not worry, I'm on AT&T now and my last 2 bills, I averaged 150MB per month since I mainly use wifi for higher speed.
It's also good to know that you got very good up/download rate. Awesome.
A question, if I get an AT&T-compatible phone, my other end is purely on AT&T network, do we have mobile-to-mobile discount? I know on my end, it's unlimited so I don't care but how's about the other end?

Again, big thank, m8

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Can you elaborate it a bit? I'm not quite understand what you meant.
80% aren't and will be never available? 80% of what? unlocking?

Also, why "trick carriers for lower data rates"?

Yes you will get all AT&T coverage, so if you look on AT&T's coverage map, that's your coverage area. Call quality is the same as AT&T as well. As far as the other person getting a mobile discount, if they are on AT&T, then I *think* they would not be charged on their minutes since it would see your phone coming through the AT&T network. Don't quote me on that though, I would probably do some research on that.

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
Yes you will get all AT&T coverage, so if you look on AT&T's coverage map, that's your coverage area. Call quality is the same as AT&T as well. As far as the other person getting a mobile discount, if they are on AT&T, then I *think* they would not be charged on their minutes since it would see your phone coming through the AT&T network. Don't quote me on that though, I would probably do some research on that.
Thanks, m8

Decs222

Apr 12, 2012
São Paulo
The reason people get unlocked phones vary, but most can be classified under these:

- Phones that are not available in a given market
- Update without a two year commitment to a given carrier
- Cheaper to get a used phone on ebay/amazon than a new one from the carrier if you are not due for an upgrade
- Unlocked bootloader, rooted, or bloatware free. -- As most carriers nowdays want their phones locked.
- Possible higher resell value

Specially BLOATWARE free. But also because it's really annoying to be tied up to a carrier if you don't like the services.

itchy67x

Jun 17, 2010
Im a german Vodafone customer and i really don't like the behavior of them but there is one really good thing if phone is broken or bricked I call them and they changed them for free and without waiting time for a new one....

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

felipeamh

Feb 17, 2012
=)

Hello, I'm new here, I've always wanted to respond to thank, but I went out a message of "minimum 10 answers" but here I am ..... n_n.
Answering the question of the subject, saying that could provide an unlocked phone can have much more potential as telephone operators and manufacturers only think "commercially viable", never going to give total customer satisfaction. But the good thing is that there are people like you, I personally have long helped me a lot in several problems I had in the past within Windows, and now Android. Speaking of Android sitema, I tried all the existing ROM with the Kernel ...... but until today, I have had many problems, thank goodness I followed the ROM "dhruv.always" which arrived yesterday finally to perfection, NightlyFourE 5.0, even though I "failed again> _ <" just applied the patch CyanogenMod Google Apps (unbicado on this page -> http wiki-cyanogenmod-com/wiki/Latest_Version/ Google_Apps), I set up the account, I went to Settings, updated Gmail, blackmart installed, and the rest :) install applications, and I hope will last a lot with this system in my Optimus One

Well, soon I hope to thank each development issue, nice to meet you ^ ^

PS: sorry if this poorly drafted, this was translated by Google xD: P

EternalPal

Apr 9, 2012
I bought mine due to bloatware and feeling that if I need to terminate a carrier my phone will not be stuck with them during the termination process.

canuckerr

Feb 18, 2012
I think the unlocked phone status has more appeal because of the flexibility to go anywhere and be able to buy a sim card and pop it in.

I think debranding a phone also has the same allure. Usually when a phone is debranded a lot of the bloatware is taken out and it runs faster.

Mar 10, 2012
AT&T Subsidized Phone: $200
AT&T Plan: $110/mo * 24 months (contract)
Lower resale value
Locked OS features
Bloatware

Total: $2640

vs.

Unlocked International Phone: $600
Straight Talk AT&T Towers Plan: $45/mo * 24 months (no contract)
Higher resale value
All features unlocked
No bloatware

Total: $1680

That is why.

mastertalks

Apr 13, 2012
Carrier phones are better as per my opinion

Any carrier phone comes with a fixed but attractive data plan, they are specially helpful for people using internet and latest spectrum connections.
Web browsing is also a big advantage because the network provider gives sufficient speed download space.
with all these reasons, we can have unlimited downloads and can also browse many apps and games.
Just like the Nokia Asha 300, it has around 4 million free songs and 3 million apps, also there is live TV. Nokia has partnered with Vodafone India to provide attractive data plans and also gives a carrier plan to the new purchasers.

Asha 300 has crossed sales records with these interesting and free data plans with to do everything on the Asha 300.

Hanzo.Hasashi

Feb 12, 2011
Minas Tirith
I have never ever bought a phone through a carrier!Nor did I ever have a contract! I rarely use my phone for phoning:D

Send from beneath my cloak of magic

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unless of course you want to use it on different networks, ie international.

Carrier phone comes with those fat discounts, so i don't know why anyone would ever PREFER to pay full retail?

Yet people say they prefer to do it.

The unlocked international versions are often available before the US carriers release their modified versions. They also often have higher resale values for people who like to switch phones a lot.
    Less bloatware is a big part of it, I think, but there are also contractual benefits. It's sometimes easier to cancel a plan without paying a hefty termination fee if you paid for the phone outright. Additionally, certain plans (e.g. T-Mobile's "best plan ever") do not provide subsidies for good phones (e.g. HTC Sensation). Basically, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. You can buy the phone outright and then get a cheaper plan or buy a subsidized phone with a more expensive plan. If you plan on keeping your phone more than 2 years and/or switching carriers, it's a good investment to get the cheaper plan.
    Unbranded phone=$10 unlimited data on at&t.
    •Unlocked to use anywhere
    •More resale value
    •No bloatware from carriers
    •Faster / more direct updates without needing carrier approval
    •Usually more dev support since carriers variants isolate models from one another
    •Availability much before carrier versions (mostly, depends on exclusivity)
    I should have modified my post up there :)
    Anyway, a special thank to adelmundo and few others that help me to adjust my mindset about this. I never heard of StraightTalk plan b4.
    Can you provide some info about the plan?
    I've tried to search but very confuse about what it is? Is it a AT&T pre-paid plan? or is it a company that using other phone provider services?