[KERNEL][AOSP] Incredikernel (Chad+Tiny) - 11/30/2013

Search This thread

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
Tiny, do you know if the USB fast charge works on the test kernel?

It should. I can enable it so I assume so. It is incredikernel and he didn't tell me he had to disable it to enable hardware acceleration. Its based off the Feb release.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: jlokos

miketwoms

Aug 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Saw someone mention ZRAM somewhere [forget - this thread or another] but I get "zram: not found" when entering the "zram enable " command in a terminal app.
there's an option under "Performance" in the Settings menu to set up ZRAM, but I can't tell if that's in action or not.
do I need to do something else?

FacelessMan

Dec 6, 2010
If anyone is feeling adventurous, try this out and let me know if there are any issues:

http://chad0989.dyndns.org/mirror/incredikernel-ics-hwaccel-test6.zip

ICS only, and I wouldn't flash if your ROM doesn't have hw acceleration

I installed this kernel on Evervolv 2.2 alpha 1. It works pretty well, but I have had multiple reboots when rotating the phone to landscape. The Tiamat kernel also had this problem at first, but they did something to correct it. Otherwise the kernel works pretty well. I like that I can use smartass2, and bump the cpu down to 128. Great work!

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
Saw someone mention ZRAM somewhere [forget - this thread or another] but I get "zram: not found" when entering the "zram enable " command in a terminal app.
there's an option under "Performance" in the Settings menu to set up ZRAM, but I can't tell if that's in action or not.
do I need to do something else?

What version of the kernel are you running?

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
I installed this kernel on Evervolv 2.2 alpha 1. It works pretty well, but I have had multiple reboots when rotating the phone to landscape. The Tiamat kernel also had this problem at first, but they did something to correct it. Otherwise the kernel works pretty well. I like that I can use smartass2, and bump the cpu down to 128. Great work!

Does it happen every time? I tried a few times and I cannot reproduce it?

chad0989

Oct 31, 2010

Try this one, should fix the issue:

http://chad0989.dyndns.org/mirror/incredikernel-ics-hwaccel-test7.zip

FacelessMan

Dec 6, 2010
Try test7 that Chad posted on the previous page.

Thanks, somehow I missed that post. I am installing now. FYI - I was able to make it reboot by opening chrome beta, navigating to a web page that takes a while to load, and then rotating the phone 90 degrees at a time until it rebooted. It also happened at least once in Gmail, but it was easiest to reproduce in chrome. I will let you know if I can break it with the new update.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
No, it seems to be completely random, but if I can reproduce it I will let you know. It has done it 2 or 3 times so far, but it does not do it every time I rotate to landscape.

As weird as it sounds, I went from when Chad posted the beta ICS kernel yesterday until about twenty minutes ago without having any reboot issues. Odd thing is, I had reboots only happen after I changed my rotation settings and then changed the default from ondemand to lagfree. I'm on latest CM9, I've since switched to beta 7. Does that sound odd at all Tiny? I tried seeing if I could reproduce your issue since I was reboot free like Tiny.

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
As weird as it sounds, I went from when Chad posted the beta ICS kernel yesterday until about twenty minutes ago without having any reboot issues. Odd thing is, I had reboots only happen after I changed my rotation settings and then changed the default from ondemand to lagfree. I'm on latest CM9, I've since switched to beta 7. Does that sound odd at all Tiny? I tried seeing if I could reproduce your issue since I was reboot free like Tiny.

To be honest I'm not that familiar with that issue and I didn't spend that much time troubleshooting that issue. I just tried 4-5 rotations without changing any settings for it on evervolv 2.2.0 a1.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
To be honest I'm not that familiar with that issue and I didn't spend that much time troubleshooting that issue. I just tried 4-5 rotations without changing any settings for it on evervolv 2.2.0 a1.

Gotcha, well I haven't noticed anything since I upgraded the kernel. I haven't had much success with video in any browser however I didn't have any success with the stock kernel on CM9. For me, it isn't an issue since I usually have a tablet or computer near me. What is HWA supposed to affect? I've been wondering this for awhile and I don't truly see what we would notice on the Inc. Could you clarify what it does on the Inc?

FacelessMan

Dec 6, 2010
Try test7 that Chad posted on the previous page.

Test7 is working much better. No reboots. I did have one freeze up when I plugged in my USB cable, but since I am overclocked I am not going to complain. It seems to be fine since I pulled the battery. Great kernel!

ChuckFarley

Jun 25, 2010
I've had a couple of lockups when charging with test 7. Other than that, it's been running well on the CM9 kang.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA

miketwoms

Aug 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I've noticed something strange between Test 6 and Test 7. They both seem to work the same for me -very well - 99% of the time.

I had one lock-up when plugging the phone in to charge with 7.
But the real curious issue that prompts me to write, is this - I've noticed that when playing Words with Friends, the game freezes at these three points: when returning to the game after reading a message, when loading the ad after you make a move, and returning to the game after viewing the ad.
With Test 6, there is a small delay at these points, but it doesn't freeze. On Test 7, I pretty much have to exit the app and come back, because it will hang for a long time or even freeze while I'm waiting.

I only bring it up because of the different behavior from one kernel to the next. Other games and apps seem to run equally well on both, but this one game exposes something different in them. Chad, Tiny - any thoughts?

[edit:] ok after testing for a while longer, the difference isn't as great as I thought at first. It still hangs when using Test 6 as well as Test 7. I think the stock, or Tiamat kernels worked better with the app, so I will test it on those.

Last edited:

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
I've had a couple of lockups when charging with test 7. Other than that, it's been running well on the CM9 kang.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA

I've had the same issue too. For me, it happens when I leave my phone charging and come back once it's charged, it will be non-responsive to the power button.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Current Release: 12/20/2012(JB)/10/03/2012(GB+ICS)
    Important, Please read: There are now two kernel versions starting with 8/10/2012 release, one for GB+limited ICS(no HWA) support and another for the ICS branch with HWA. Changes will be loggged separately for each kernel type. If you see no changelogs specifically for that type, then there's no release made. For example, 8/10/12 for GB is a continuation of the 3/21 release with none of the post-3/21 kernel ICS changes made.
    Update 9/21/12: As of 9/21/12, jellybean is officially supported with the JB specific kernels.

First of all, I started this thread to make commenting and tracking easier for the incredikernel releases following Chad's latest release (8/15/2011).

I also wanted to make a distinction between Chad's initial kernels and the ones I've updated since that release and this is one way to do it. Initially I didn't want to do that but now I regretted not splitting sooner.

If you want the changelog for anything prior to my first kernel please refer to:

Chad's Incredikernel thread

Changelog:

11/30/2013 JB 4.3
    • Android 4.3 support
    • synced with updates from Android 4.3 Evervolv kernel

04/25/2013 ICS Sense+JB 4.2
    • dynamic fsync control
    • WiFi driver updates
    • Interactive governor updates - see Tinykernel
    • Entropy Tweaks
    • Netfilter updates
    • New sysfs location for fast charge for broader app compatibility - still compatible with latest incredicontrol
    • FUSE filesystem support

12/20/2012 JB 4.2 ONLY
    • add back governors that were removed in 12/15

12/15/2012 JB 4.2 ONLY
    • enabled UHID support
    • updated msm_fb for 4.2

12/11/2012 JB ONLY
    • cpufreq: enable overclocking of 1.15Ghz and 1.19Ghz
    • numerous interactive and ondemand governor tweaks
    • cpufreq: send uevent when governor changes
    • ondemand: boost pulse for JB's powerHAL

10/11/2012 JB ONLY
    • defconfig: several config changes to fix data usage not working

10/06/2012 JB ONLY
    • defconfig: enable conservative governor by request

10/03/2012 ICS+JB+GB
    • defconfig: remove rarely used governors and set max frequency to preventing booting higher than 998mhz
    • lower default hispeed_freq to 614Mhz
    • cpufreq: interactive: always limit initial speed bump to hispeed_freq

09/21/2012 ICS+JB+GB
    • ALL: New Interactive governor
    • ALL: Built with GCC 4.6 toolchain from Google
    • GB: interactive governor tweaked for battery
    • ICS+JB: interactive governor tweaked for butter
    • JB: genlock patched for JB support
    • JB: new wifi driver for compatibility with JB ROMs

08/11/2012 ICS+GB
    • KSM wasn't enabled as it should have been in the last build - fixed that - also nothing needs to be done to enable it on GB as it's on by default

08/10/2012 ICS ONLY
    • fixed data usage features for ICS
    • added mamarley's fastcharge USB patch to enable fastcharge without needing to unplug the charger
    • enabled KSM (Kernel Samepage Merging) - still need to enable in CM settings

08/10/2012 ICS+GB
    • added mamarley's fastcharge USB patch to enable fastcharge without needing to unplug the charger

07/07/2012 ICS ONLY
    • Merged in multiple driver updates to support HWA (chad0989)
    • Updated adreno kernel drivers to latest
    • added xtqta_guid - for ICS' data usage feature, also seems to have resolved stability issues
    • Added lazy CPU governor
    • Added back intellidemand

03/21/2012 ICS+GB
    • Added lazy CPU governor

02/26/2012 ICS+GB
    • Smartassv2 default governor for sure - doesn't override ramdisk settings though
    • new governor lagfree - balance between ondemand and interactive
    • new I/O scheduler SIO
    • tweaked deadline for better performance
    • removed CFQ/BFQ schedulers and smartass, conservative, and interactive govenors (still have interactiveX and smartassv2)

01/03/2012 ICS+GB
    • Tweak intellidemand and interactiveX governors for battery life
    • Add ZRAM and swap support and add script to toggle ZRAM - see bottom of OP for more info
    • SmartassV2 default governor again

12/26/2011 ICS+GB
    • Added faux123's intellidemand governor (thanks faux123!)
    • Added imoseyon's interactiveX governor (thanks imoseyon!)
    • Works on GB and ICS currently
    • interactiveX may not play nicely with ICS so intellidemand is default
    • Conservative is disabled, let me know if you need it back

12/08/2011 (Chad) ICS+GB
    • Added ICS support (limited)

11/27/2011 GB
    • Use ondemand, performance, and conservative governors from the Android Linux 3.0 kernel
    • Set minimum voltage back to 800 as the voltages will not go below 800 anyway. Anything lower is placebo effect. This is a hardware limitation.

11/14/2011 GB
    • Update OJ driver
    • BT fix for newer CM nightlies
    • WIFI module updates
    • Update and re-add BFQ scheduler as well as disable deadline
    • Ondemand is back
    • Fixes/Tweaks to ondemand and interactive

10/08/2011 GB
    • Adjusted smartassV2 parameters for 1GHz processor (originally for 500Mhz device)

10/01/2011 GB
    • Set smartassv2 to default governor

09/30/2011 GB
    • Added SmartassV2 governor

Current CPU governors as of the latest release:
    • SmartassV2
    • Ondemand
    • Interactive
    • Lagfree
    • Lazy

Technical doc on CPU governors (most of the ones in this kernel anyway)
    https://raw.github.com/tiny4579/android_kernel_common/android-2.6.38-incredikernel/Documentation/cpu-freq/governors.txt

Update: 11/30/13 - removed link to incredikernel.com as the site has no content - fully on goo.im now

http://goo.im/devs/tiny4579/inc/kernels

Kernel Source

https://github.com/tiny4579/android_kernel_common

Here are a couple notes if you want to build this kernel from source:

Jellybean kernel branch is android-2.6.38-incredikernel-jb.
    ICS kernel branch is android-2.6.38-incredikernel-ics.
    Gingerbread kernel branch is android-2.6.38-incredikernel.
    The config for the kernel is in arch/arm/configs/incrediblec-incredikernel_defconfig. If you want to switch branches I recommend doing a make incrediblec-incredikernel_defconfig after checking out that branch.
    I use the GCC 4.4.3 toolchain for this kernel due to GCC 4.6 causing build issues.
    Without further ado, I present for your testing pleasure....

Incredikernel-ICS-HWA-Beta2

Features adreno/kgsl updates courtesy of drewis from the evervolv team!
    New kernels up! GB kernel will be up shortly or tomorrow with the 10/3/12 build date and same changes. Test with lulzactive was broken so I scrapped it for what I think are better governors.

Edit: Just noticed I accidentally removed smartassv2 from the kernel config for jellybean. If anyone notices it missing please let me know and I'll add it back tomorrow, otherwise it's just a git blunder.

Edit 2: GB kernel up now.
    Frequently Asked Questions

Some key differences between smartass and smartassv2 so users can decide which they prefer and learn a bit more about the differences:

Smartass
    1. Screen off profile built in maxed at 384mhz.
    2. Wakeup frequency is 998mhz.
    3. Min screen on is 245mhz.
    4. Improved by Chad to run better on our devices.
    5. Purely load based, no ideal value.

Smartassv2
    1. This is the same exact governor in Erasmux's Nexus One kernel (github.com/erasmux/n1-kernel)
    2. Ideal wake frequency is 768 (also default that can be changed).
    3. Screen on min is actually 128mhz).
    4. No screen off profile.
    5. Ideal sleep frequency 245mhz.
    6. Improved upon from erasmux's version, not Chad's.

Basically the smartassv2 ideal wake frequency allows the phone to favor a certain speed to attempt to save battery life. It can still go above ideal wake and below ideal sleep so there's no caps on max and min while awake or sleep.

Some tips/info on various governors:

Smartass/smartassv2/interactive:
    Use 128 min so the governor can scale as it needs to. Max speed I'd recommend at least 768Mhz.

Ondemand:
    Try 128 min and if it lags use 245 min. Max speed I'd recommend at least 768Mhz.

Performance:
    Only recommended for benchmarks but speed will always run at max.

InteractiveX:
    Same as interactive except it has an auto screen off set to the min. Ideal with 245 min in setcpu but try 128 for battery life but it you have wake lag then set to 245.

Intellidemand:
    Based on ondemand with a built in screen off. Any speed settings should be fine.

Interactive:
    Some new features with this one. Starting with 9/21/12 release I am using the interactive kernel from Google which features a new kernel option called input_boost.

It is off by default but can be enabled by writing a 1 to /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/interactive/input_boost. Also there is another parameter for interactive called hispeed_freq in the same location. The hispeed_freq is where the governor jumps to first. Hispeed_freq by default in 10/3/12 is 614400 to help save battery. In the older interactive governor there was a maxspeed freq which meant the governor was a bit jumpier to the max speed. This should be a good blend of performance and battery.

Lagfree:
    Based on ondemand but with a softer CPU scaling which should help with battery life. It also seems to be very responsive (starting with 2/26)

Lazy:
    Based on ondemand as well (Ezekeel is the developer of this governor). I cannot explain this too well but its apparent behavior seems to be to switch between low and high frequencies pretty evenly.
    A note from Ezekeel on this governor:
    "Thus I took the ondemand governor and implemented an additional parameter 'min_timeinstate' defining a minimum time the CPU will stay in a certain frequency state before it will be allowed to switch frequencies again. This way one can have a fine grained polling by setting the sampling_rate to a low value without running into problems with these fast frequency changes.

I did some extensive testing with a sampling_rate of 10000, min_timeinstate of 40000 and up_threshold of 90 and FLAC, mp3 and video playback all seem to work flawlessly. So it seems the root of the problem was indeed that the CPU does not handle fast frequency changes well.

I tested several apps and games and so far I have not found anything that this governor cannot handle. Thus I dare to say that it seems to be the superior choice over ondemand."

ZRAM, what is it and how to I add it? (starting officially with 12/31/11)
    If you are familiar with swap space in linux or virtual memory in Windows it is a similar concept. Except instead of using the hard drive as swap space it compresses swap space in RAM for faster access times than conventional swap. This will also wear out our storage memory less than typical swapping.

Enable ZRAM is simple thanks to a script built by imoseyon which is provided in the kernel zip file. To enable, use adb shell or download a terminal app and run zram enable. This will persist across reboots (if init.d is setup in your ROM) so if you don't want it anymore run zram disable and it will remove the bootscript and deactivate it.

You need to have root privileges to enable/disable zram. Run the su command in terminal emulator to request root.
    Hopefully this kernel build fixes the freezing many were experiencing. I cannot recreate the freeze problem on a ROM I was testing whereas I could fairly easily on an earlier build.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31805083/incredikernel-ics-hwa-rc1.zip